PDA

View Full Version : Free Wills!

Angel
12-Nov-09, 22:16
I believe it is some kind of national free will month or something to that effect! If this is true is there anyone up here in Caithness that does such a thing and has anyone ever used this service?

Not planning on croaking just yet but...

Angel...

Each
12-Nov-09, 22:18
Free will - no chance if that - were all slaves to the machine...;)

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 22:18
I think trade unions can provide free wills as part of the membership benefits, certainly Amicus does them.

Kodiak
12-Nov-09, 22:19
Will who? and why does he need to be set free.

Venture
12-Nov-09, 22:38
I think D W Georgesons do this Angel. I think the idea is that you give a donation to charity instead.

Liz
13-Nov-09, 00:21
I may be wrong but I think Georgesons have stopped doing this now.

Damn I should have got my act together sooner!:roll:

It wasn't really free as you were expected to pay £65 but still a good saving.

I don't really have anything much to leave so would be great if I could just write it out myself but don't think this is acceptable in Scotland.:confused

Bobinovich
13-Nov-09, 02:06
According to AgeConcern Scotland's leaflet (http://www.ageconcernandhelptheagedscotland.org.uk/documents/39) you CAN write your own will, so long as you get someone competent (who is not a beneficiary) to witness and sign it. This is what my Gran has done, rather than use a solicitor.

Fran
13-Nov-09, 03:07
Yes you can do your own will and if signed by 2 people with the date and their addresses it is valid.
Im sure Greenfox solicitors are doing the free will service, and i do know the british heart foundation and dr.Barnardso are doing it, you could look at their web sites.

Scunner
13-Nov-09, 11:08
My will cost £5.00 to make. The solicitor said that as they will have the work of my affairs, they only take a small fee. With wordprocessors in use now, it is only a couple of name inserts and maybe extra few paragraphs for special instructions.

BINBOB
13-Nov-09, 11:28
I think D W Georgesons do this Angel. I think the idea is that you give a donation to charity instead.

Yes..I think that is how it works.Did a new will earlier this year at cost!!!;):D

Niall Fernie
13-Nov-09, 11:36
USDAW also do free wills for their members, ask your rep for details.

Scunner
13-Nov-09, 11:54
It seems that Powers of Attorney are an essential part of life now. Easy to set up and takes care of things if you are no longer able to.

Phill
13-Nov-09, 12:00
Didn't know he'd been locked up!

bum bum, ta

I'll see mesel out!

oldmarine
13-Nov-09, 15:11
My experience is that you would have to be a member to get free wills. My wife and I paid an expert (attorney at law) and feel comfortable with it.

~~Tides~~
13-Nov-09, 20:38
According to AgeConcern Scotland's leaflet (http://www.ageconcernandhelptheagedscotland.org.uk/documents/39) you CAN write your own will, so long as you get someone competent (who is not a beneficiary) to witness and sign it. This is what my Gran has done, rather than use a solicitor.

Thats all well and good, until someone who is left out of the will goes and gets a solicitor...

Yes, in theory, technically it will be a will, but even a first year law student could pick holes in that fairly easily.