PDA

View Full Version : Working for a charity shop.

cuddlepop
12-Nov-09, 15:38
At present I do one morning a week for a local charity shop but could do more as I do want to return to the work force next summer so are keen to get some sort of work pattern established.
Not really possible to do more hours here though.

Anyway Highland Hospice will be opening a shop here in December.Do you see a problem with working for both charitys or do you see them compeating for donations and therefore a "conflict" of interest may arise?:confused

Me myself, see no problem but I can see where the other charity shops are coming from.

Margaret M.
12-Nov-09, 15:59
Do you see a problem with working for both charitys or do you see them compeating for donations and therefore a "conflict" of interest may arise?

I don't see any problem -- unless your job will be to stand outside the door of the competing charity to point the people in the direction of the other charity. :D

cuddlepop
12-Nov-09, 16:08
I don't see any problem -- unless your job will be to stand outside the door of the competing charity to point the people in the direction of the other charity. :D

That would be funny if it wasnt slightly true.

You see your going to have to go past Highland Hospice charity shop to get to the Blythswood sorting office.:eek:

Kodiak
12-Nov-09, 16:30
I used to work for more than one Charity Shop at the same time. There should be no problem at all for you to do this if you wish to do so. If one of the Charity Shops had turned round and said to me that I had to work for them only then I would have just left them and worked extra for the other one.

After all you are a Volunteer and they have no right to say what you can or not do with your spare time.

cuddlepop
12-Nov-09, 16:34
I used to work for more than one Charity Shop at the same time. There should be no problem at all for you to do this if you wish to do so. If one of the Charity Shops had turned round and said to me that I had to work for them only then I would have just left them and worked extra for the other one.

After all you are a Volunteer and they have no right to say what you can or not do with your spare time.

Thanks Kodiak thats what i thought.:D

reddevil
12-Nov-09, 16:34
i dont thing that there is a problem.if thats the type of work you like doing,and are good with people,then the more experience you get the better,all charity shops should allow good willing people to work with them no matter if they work in other shops or not,i dont think they compete,i just think they work hard to get as much for there own charity as possible,try asking for an hour or two in another shop,see what they say.

cuddlepop
12-Nov-09, 16:38
i dont thing that there is a problem.if thats the type of work you like doing,and are good with people,then the more experience you get the better,all charity shops should allow good willing people to work with them no matter if they work in other shops or not,i dont think they compete,i just think they work hard to get as much for there own charity as possible,try asking for an hour or two in another shop,see what they say.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm really suprised at the competitiveness amongs the charity shops.:eek: surely there's room for them all?
i try to rotate my giving so why not my time?:D

katarina
12-Nov-09, 18:25

I don't see why there would be a problem - after all your doing them a favour by donating your free time.

poppett
12-Nov-09, 18:45
When I lived in Edinburgh a friend worked for three different charity shops at the same time. One of the managers got a bit funny with him so he gave up working for her shop and did extra in one of the others. The experience in the charity shops led to him becoming an under manager in a retail chain, so all good experience, and he still worked alternate weeks for the two charity shops which gave him the opportunity to hone his skills on his days off. Devotion indeed.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Nov-09, 18:49
We have a lady that works in our charity shop and works in another local charity were just grateful she has given us some of her time to help us:D

cuddlepop
12-Nov-09, 21:14
We have a lady that works in our charity shop and works in another local charity were just grateful she has given us some of her time to help us:D

You sound like a good boss,definately got the right attitude.:D