PDA

View Full Version : BROKEN RECORDS - Skinandi's 13/11/2009

theboss
12-Nov-09, 13:19
The poster will load... just takes a minute :)

However, just incase it doesn't...

Broken Records

"Broken records are every ounce as exciting as Glasvegas" - NME
"The UK's answer to Arcade Fire" ***** - THE GUARDIAN
"More than just a flash in T in the Park's airfield sized pan!" - SCOTSMAN

Skinandi's, Thurso
Friday 13th November 7.30pm
Tickets £8.50

www.brokenrecordsband.com

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9df3e995e2.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Nov-09, 13:23
Excellent price. Let us know how it goes, bossman.

theboss
12-Nov-09, 13:26
Will do. However, I fear the worst...

davem
12-Nov-09, 14:53
They're competing with After Hours and the Caithness Big Band at the Weigh Inn - what chance have they got

Seriously - hope it goes well wish I could go.
Dave

theboss
13-Nov-09, 11:53
I was really wanting to go to the Weigh Inn tonight after the "Earlier..." gig but unfortunately can't make it. Hope you have a good one.

buddyrich
13-Nov-09, 14:52
Is there a box player in the band or are they just being ironic?

I would have maybe made it if i wasnt busy driving and playing. My mate in Dundee says they're a reet good band.

Where are they from?

theboss
13-Nov-09, 16:19
They're from Edinburger.

According to their tech rider, they have...

Organ
Piano
Guitar x3
Ukelele
Accordion
Fiddle
Cello
Bass
Drums

Standing in Skins this very minute waiting for them to arrive.

Jeid
13-Nov-09, 16:34
You need to practise more boss man

buddyrich
13-Nov-09, 20:21
Really?? Damn, i'd love to see that. I just heard they were good but assumed they were just another indie rock type o band. Alas i wont make it but im sad to miss this one.

Hope a lot of folk turn out for something more eclectic.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-09, 02:20
Really?? Damn, i'd love to see that. I just heard they were good but assumed they were just another indie rock type o band. Alas i wont make it but im sad to miss this one.

I'd say they play Indie music on instruments more commonly used by folk musicians.

Blast!
15-Nov-09, 01:21

I reckon there was about 16 people there last night, very disappointing.

Where were all the local musicians?

You all missed an absolute treat.

Metalattakk
15-Nov-09, 02:53
It was all a bit short notice though, wasn't it? Cannae expect world + dog to stampede to Skins at the drop of a hat.

Advertise and promote appropriately. Rocket science it is not.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-09, 04:39
I reckon there was about 16 people there last night, very disappointing.

Where were all the local musicians?

You all missed an absolute treat.

And I thought Wales slapping Scotland was bad. Oops.

Jeid
15-Nov-09, 11:10
MA... It's been advertised on the Skins webby for a while..

Metalattakk
15-Nov-09, 14:27
Local press? Posters? Even this thread seems to be an afterthought, posted only the day before the gig.

Aggressive marketing is the only way to build up some momentum, and ensure that as many people who would like to attend get the chance, surely?

davem
15-Nov-09, 15:10
A lot of musos were playing fri night - many who would have loved to go, me included. I'd have hoped that Skins on a friday would have had a baseline attendance anyway. Shame people didn't turn out, I know there was as much publicity as time would allow.
Thanks for putting in the time and effort Darren, if hard work and enthusiasm on the promoters' part were all that was needed, we'd have a thriving tour venue up here.

theboss
15-Nov-09, 18:25
Posters were put up in shops, High Schools and Dounreay 3 to 4 weeks ago. Granted I was VERY late putting a post on here about it but I don't think it had THAT much to do with the poor turn out.

Maybe folk weren't interested in that particular style of band, maybe folk weren't willing to pay £8.50 for a band they had never heard of. There could be a thousand reasons folk didn't go to it. Unfortunately the poor turnout will have a knock on effect on bands and promoters opinion of Thurso audiences. It's the same old story though and there's little point in gurning about it. I just hope bands, promoters and venue owners don't run out of patience too soon.

Metalattakk
15-Nov-09, 18:40
Posters were put up in shops, High Schools and Dounreay 3 to 4 weeks ago. Granted I was VERY late putting a post on here about it but I don't think it had THAT much to do with the poor turn out.

Fair enough. Maybe I just didn't see the posters. Must admit, I wasn't actively looking out for them.

Maybe folk weren't interested in that particular style of band, maybe folk weren't willing to pay £8.50 for a band they had never heard of. There could be a thousand reasons folk didn't go to it.

Yup, agreed. Also the competition from other events on the night will have played its part.

Unfortunately the poor turnout will have a knock on effect on bands and promoters opinion of Thurso audiences.

Will it though? Really? Or will the promoters and bands blame the venue for organising such a gig in direct competition with other, free, events on the night?

I just hope bands, promoters and venue owners don't run out of patience too soon.

That's a little alarmist, don't you think? The blame doesn't always lay at the feet of the punters.

theboss
16-Nov-09, 00:20
I don't really want to get into this to be honest. But I will say that of course it'll have a knock on effect. If promoters are losing money when they send bands up then they'll simply stop it and if bands aren't getting an audience then what's gonna entice them to travel this far north. It's certainly not the money they're being paid. Some of the bands that come up barely get paid enough to cover their fuel and accommodation. They sometimes have to rely on merchandise sales to make any profit, but you need punters to buy merchandise.

This is not the first gig of this kind this year that has fallen flat. The 14 to 25 year olds in Caithness support original music ALOT more than the older ones. It may be the case that we simply cater to their taste and forget the rest.

Olin
17-Nov-09, 17:14
I seen the posters outside skins and I admit I haven't heard of them.

Were there any local bands playing? I know that seems to help a bit?

I know if there's a band I have heard nothing about that are being supported by a local band I like i'll attend!

guitarzan
17-Nov-09, 18:50
I normally make a point of going to any bands that take the time and effort to come up here but I had other plans on Friday.

DOC ROCK
17-Nov-09, 19:29

You would have enjoyed them alright buddy. They were a really good band, and nice bunch of guy's.

buddyrich
19-Nov-09, 14:17
Aye i saw a couple o vids of them. Looked like fun. Shame the gig turned out to be a bit of a bust.

I have no great wisdom to offer on why bands dont get a turn out up here. Darren's probably right though, maybe catering to the younger market's taste is a better idea because they'll turn out.

I think a lot of people dont give a #SWEAR WORD, THATS RIGHT!!!!# about live music up here. Apart from the bands in skins and the gigs at the Lighthouse, the live music that most (most, not all) folk experience is in the boozers, and they could probably take or leave it because most are there to take drink, not experience a band playing.

Maybe im relentlessly pessimistic, but then i've lived in Thurso all my life! Huy![lol]

"I hate small towns because once you've been to the local disco there's nothing else to do".-Lenny Bruce

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Nov-09, 17:22
Aye i saw a couple o vids of them. Looked like fun. Shame the gig turned out to be a bit of a bust.

I have no great wisdom to offer on why bands dont get a turn out up here. Darren's probably right though, maybe catering to the younger market's taste is a better idea because they'll turn out.

I think a lot of people dont give a #SWEAR WORD, THATS RIGHT!!!!# about live music up here. Apart from the bands in skins and the gigs at the Lighthouse, the live music that most (most, not all) folk experience is in the boozers, and they could probably take or leave it because most are there to take drink, not experience a band playing.

Maybe im relentlessly pessimistic, but then i've lived in Thurso all my life! Huy![lol]

"I hate small towns because once you've been to the local disco there's nothing else to do".-Lenny Bruce

I used that Bruce quote ages ago, Buddy. But didn't he mean that, when you've seen the canon in the local park, that's pretty much all there is to see?

Flyermonkey
20-Nov-09, 15:06
It was a shame - they were really really good - my new favourite band...

As for the advertising, I have had it in my diary for about 2 months and could only have known about it through seeing a poster or an advert somewhere...

greenasiamcabbagelooking
21-Nov-09, 01:05
watching their videos on youtube, particularly this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIwScjr-4lU&feature=related
has really turned me onto them.

whenever i see a flyer for a band at skins (other venues are also available) i usually assume it'll be mobbed.
can't believe only 16 folk turned up, bands definately needs more publicity, posters might not be enough.

those in the know could maybe get a thread into the recommendations section with a link or 2 to spread the word .....