PDA

View Full Version : John O' Groats Camp site

Neil
17-Apr-06, 15:35
My family and I travelled up the A9 last night originally going to stop off at Embo, but due to circumstances we ended up continuing on to catch the boat this morning.

We arrived at John O Groats hoping there would be access to the camp site or at least public toilets.

We could see there were a few campers on the site, but the gate was shut so we had to assume that the site was closed. There was no warden on site (understandably as it is off season) with a note to phone the warden outside hours.

There is no way we would phone anyone after 11 at night so we decided to park up using battery power and gas. (On the bit where it says no overnight parking as it is the most attractive bit to park)

Would it not be an idea being rather a remote location to have a bit more info for visitors. Many caravan sites allow you to pitch on site if you arrive late and square up the next day but no sign of any information on this.

Any holidaymakers would think JOG looks great at night but there was nothing to assist us in staying there. Any thoughts?

Laura
17-Apr-06, 22:07
Yes the caravan and camping site is open and has been since 1st April. As it is early in the season the Warden is not on site 24 hours as he is in May to September and that it why (a) there is a telephone number to contact him 24/7 and (b) the gates are shut, not locked to ensure paying campers security. I am sure that Warden would rather be phoned rather than people parking on land which is marked "no overnight parking".

Neil
17-Apr-06, 22:55
Thank you for that. As the site is pitch black and the sign does not say phone 24/7 we parked up as the kids needed desperately to go to bed, but just in case you are in doubt, I am not complaining but feel more info would have assisted.

I would much rather connected to a hook up than working off battery and gas and as the place was deserted when we arrived and when we left hopefully we will not have upset the locals too much.

Best wishes

stekar
19-Apr-06, 21:31
Having previously visited Caithness out of season, October last year, I must say we found the camping facilities very lacking.

Wick campsite which we had stayed on was a great site. Been closed now for ages, though someone is going to open it up, no sign as yet.

Dunnet bay again is a great site, but why on earth did they not start doing their upgrading work earlier. It's not going to be opening until June!!

There are increasing numbers of motorhomes on the move, but where can they stay? Thurso town campsite isn't open either, yet it's been the Easter holidays. It's crazy.

Caithness wants to promote tourism but they certainly are not encouraging the camper or caravaner.

As for the no overnight parking in laybays, what other option is there?

There are a handful of certified location sites, for a maximum of 5 units, but you need to be a member of the caravan club to stay on these sites. They are not advertised apart from in the caravan club site directory. These are often great places to stop, with hook up and water available. But obviously no good for the bewildered motorhome or caravanner wondering why Caithness is shut.

Hope you have more luck next time you're looking to camp in Caithness Neil.

Laura
19-Apr-06, 22:18
In response to Neil, as a fellow camper what info for the assistance of any proprietor of a site what infor would you have felt of assistance?

Neil
20-Apr-06, 10:13
Pretty much its my own conscience that stopped me phoning the warden so late at night but it if there is a warden available 24 hours a day then the notice would be more helpful if it said phone 24 hours a day.

It would be helpful if there was a sign saying the site was open.

It would be helpful if there was at a very minimum, low voltage securtiy lighting around the site indicating layout and/or occupancy.

I believe there should be a note indicating temporary spaces with hook up which can be used for latecomers indicating when the warden would be next on site. It is quite normal to pitch and hook up and sort the next day.

It would be helpful indicating where the toilets are and where they are because they were in darkness as well.

We have gone to many parks over the years and have never had this problem before.

Granted I could have checked and phoned and pre-booked, but the beauty of caravanning is not knowing where you will be next night. I certainly did not intend to be in a car park in John O Groats!

Thank you for your input and kind words