PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express problem

badger
12-Nov-09, 11:19
Please don't tell me not to use Outlook Express - I have for years, I like it and have no intention of changing but, this morning I can't (it won't) connect. Keep getting that silly error message
The host 'mail.btinternet.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: *****, Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I have asterisked out my account name but it is correct and my settings are what they ought to be and what they always have been.

Went into BT Yahoo webmail, which I hate but only other easy option I have, and see it has some wonderful new features which always makes me suspicious. Can't face phoning to see if they have changed the server address or something silly as the chances of getting anyone who knows anything are negligible. Any ideas? I don't have my address book in webmail and really don't have time to mess about with it.

Incidentally my internet connection is fine (obviously!) and I have re-booted once.

badger
12-Nov-09, 11:28
You guys are so clever - connection restored by remote control :)
I suppose I'd still like to know why it did this but for now I'm happy.

achavar
12-Nov-09, 11:36
Hi

Mail Server was down this morning for all BT Internet customers, so your rebooting coincided with the mail server working again properly.

Bobinovich
12-Nov-09, 12:41
I've encountered numerous customers who, in receiving such a message, have played with their settings and ended up in a quagmire.

First thing to do with internet or e-mail problems is to check your ISP's server status page (just Google your ISP name plus server status - BT Yahoo's is here (http://help.btinternet.com/yahoo/help/servicestatus)) and check if there's anything current.

If not then leave maybe an hour or two, check again & check status page again, before thinking of touching any settings.

badger
12-Nov-09, 13:30
Thanks Bob - I learnt long ago to ignore these error messages but am still a bit puzzled as I could access my accounts via webmail. Or are the two unrelated? I really hate not understanding things :eek:

RecQuery
12-Nov-09, 16:35
Yeah webmail would be accessed in a different way, possibly using a different protocol than POP3 or IMAP, which are usually used to access e-mail by a mail client.

Its entirely possible it was an SSL issue also, with some admins not using it locally, for stuff like the webmail backend. The reasoning being that its on the same server or within the same secure subnet so MDA to MUA encryption is not needed. I can explain that bit in more detail if you'd like.

badger
12-Nov-09, 17:02
Yeah webmail would be accessed in a different way, possibly using a different protocol than POP3 or IMAP, which are usually used to access e-mail by a mail client.

Its entirely possible it was an SSL issue also, with some admins not using it locally, for stuff like the webmail backend. The reasoning being that its on the same server or within the same secure subnet so MDA to MUA encryption is not needed. I can explain that bit in more detail if you'd like.

Nooooo - thanks, too much information! I understood your first para. but after that got lost. "webmail backend" sounds weird. Thanks anyway.