PDA

View Full Version : Price of Oil

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 01:35
If the procedes of oil only serve those who trade in the stuff and the oil companies and immediate extraction worker employees, would you be prepared to pay extra for a litre of petrol into a community fund to benefit those who live in the environs of those oil wells? These are some of the most poorest people.

Bobinovich
12-Nov-09, 01:42
I use diesel so can't answer the poll :lol:

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 01:44
I use diesel so can't answer the poll :lol:

HA, you know what I meant! :)

theone
12-Nov-09, 03:17
If the procedes of oil only serve those who trade in the stuff and the oil companies and immediate extraction worker employees, would you be prepared to pay extra for a litre of petrol into a community fund to benefit those who live in the environs of those oil wells? These are some of the most poorest people.

I'd have to say no.

Not because I'm tight (I am), but because I see no reason why someone should benefit from something they have no influence over. You're born where you're born. If there's oil there that's just luck.

If the oil extraction is detrimental to you, then maybe there should be compensation, I'd give that.

HOWEVER

Well done to Shetland and Orkney who've done very well in terms of community facilities from the oil industry over the years. If only Caithness had managed the same from nuclear..........

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 03:32
Well done to Shetland and Orkney who've done very well in terms of community facilities from the oil industry over the years. If only Caithness had managed the same from nuclear..........

Yep, tidal energy benefits we can kiss goodbye to as well which strikes right into what I'm getting at.

Yep, Reay community has had nothing from Dounreay, ther are plans for some kind of community fund since something was set up in lieu a nuke dump at Bulldoo though. Long time coming though?

I think we need more corporate responsibility if we want to strive towards a more equal world. Just asking but who doesn't want an equal world? :confused

Aaldtimer
12-Nov-09, 03:54
A bit confused here Rheg. Reay has had nothing from Dounreay...
Q. Why should it?
How long have you lived there?
What was it like before Dounreay?
Has it changed since...for the better or worse?
Caithness in general has certainly benefited, and continues to do so.
What's your beef?:confused
And what has that got to do with the price of oil?

Green_not_greed
12-Nov-09, 09:40
Reay community has had nothing from Dounreay, :confused

On the contrary, I believe Reay Hall and other village projects have benefitted from Dounreay funding over the years.

Caithness has benefitted considerably from Dounreay and continues to do so. Jobs and spin-off employment aside, the communities fund has provided tens of thousands of pounds into community projects every year.

The point about oil benefit has nothing to do with Dounreay (which was a cheap shot BTW - unlike you).

As far as oil benefit goes, I believe that most folks would support the local communities benefitting from oil finds in their area, provided that it didn't cost folks any more per litre than it does now. The reason for our over-inflated petrol - and diesel - prices is the greed of the UK government.

Less tax and more local benefits costing the user no more than now? Perhaps wishful thinking but that I believe should be the way forward.

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 11:04
On the contrary, I believe Reay Hall and other village projects have benefitted from Dounreay funding over the years.

They've hired the hall on a number of occasions, that's about it and they may have given money on a bit-part basis but I'm not aware of it for certain, crumbs as usual.

There will be a community fund in the pipeline because of Bulldoo low level repository but it is uncertain how it will be distributed at the moment.

Taxation isn't the problem it is the base price of oil that changes and the tax is linked as a percentage to it.

Anyway, take Nigeria for example, the oil-rich region of Africa, the locals have no running water and live on 50p per day.

Green_not_greed
12-Nov-09, 13:19
Taxation isn't the problem it is the base price of oil that changes and the tax is linked as a percentage to it.

Not according to what price....

At £1 a litre the UK breakdown in 2007 was
- Petrol Fuel Duty - 48.35p
- VAT (17.5%) - 14.9p
- Refinery Petrol Costs - 31.75p
- Forecourt Costs - 3p
- Forecourt Profit - 2p

In 2007 the forecourt got 5%, the oil cost was ~32% and taxation ~63%

And fuel duty has increased since then. At least twice.

Read more: What makes up the cost of 1 litre of petrol? (http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-prices/cost-litre-breakdown.html#ixzz0We9xkMNp)
http://www.whatprice.co.uk

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 13:27
Not according to what price....

At £1 a litre the UK breakdown in 2007 was
- Petrol Fuel Duty - 48.35p
- VAT (17.5%) - 14.9p
- Refinery Petrol Costs - 31.75p
- Forecourt Costs - 3p
- Forecourt Profit - 2p

In 2007 the forecourt got 5%, the oil cost was ~32% and taxation ~63%

And fuel duty has increased since then. At least twice.

Read more: What makes up the cost of 1 litre of petrol? (http://www.whatprice.co.uk/petrol-prices/cost-litre-breakdown.html#ixzz0We9xkMNp)
http://www.whatprice.co.uk

Thanks for proving my point.

gleeber
12-Nov-09, 13:35
A bit confused here Rheg. Reay has had nothing from Dounreay...
Q. Why should it?
How long have you lived there?
What was it like before Dounreay?
Has it changed since...for the better or worse?
Caithness in general has certainly benefited, and continues to do so.
What's your beef?:confused
And what has that got to do with the price of oil?
Ill be back home by teatime. I look forward to your response to Aaldtimers post Rheghead. ;)

John Baikie
12-Nov-09, 13:41
No chance. I spend far too much on fuel already.

Rheghead
12-Nov-09, 13:48
Ill be back home by teatime. I look forward to your response to Aaldtimers post Rheghead. ;)

I didn't think it was worth replying since I justified my point elsewhere in the thread.

I don't think Caithness has benefitted much from Dounreay. I see a lot of lamenting on the org about social changes, mass exodus from the countryside, accent changes, villages closing, increased traffic and crime. New wealth has brought big changes to the visual amenity of our towns, kit housing and chain supermarkets. All this is a consequence of Dounreay whether it is on the rise or decline.

I've become to think that it is wealth has become the thing that has brought social poverty to our lives, we may have more money in our pockets but our lives are no longer any richer for it.

In contrast, the peoples of oil rich countries continue to have no money in their back pockets and their lives continue to match their poverty level. All because of the same thing, there is no community funding.

camor
13-Nov-09, 23:31
Caithness has benifited from Dounreay. The skills base in the county alone has grown through direct and indirect training from Dounreay. The number of skilled people trained at Dounreay and contractors associated with the site must number thousands over the 50 years it has been there. Many of these have moved on to other areas of work eg offshore industry. Many of the offshore workers living here were trained through association with Dounreay. Also, the social aspect of the county has altered. Many people from the south have moved here because of Dounreay and has diversified the population. This in turn has led to a more accepting nature from those living and working in Caithness. So whilst people who are Johnny come lately's to the county may not see it, Dounreay has had a positive effect on th area.

theone
14-Nov-09, 01:19
Caithness has benifited from Dounreay. The skills base in the county alone has grown through direct and indirect training from Dounreay. The number of skilled people trained at Dounreay and contractors associated with the site must number thousands over the 50 years it has been there. Many of these have moved on to other areas of work eg offshore industry. Many of the offshore workers living here were trained through association with Dounreay. Also, the social aspect of the county has altered. Many people from the south have moved here because of Dounreay and has diversified the population. This in turn has led to a more accepting nature from those living and working in Caithness. So whilst people who are Johnny come lately's to the county may not see it, Dounreay has had a positive effect on th area.

Yes, I agree with all your points. But these are true also for Flotta and Sullom Voe. The difference being that in Shetland and Orkney the operators of these sites paid so many thousands of pounds per year into a community fund. This has been used for various things including sports facilities.

Although Dounreay has been great for Caithness, there was no direct cash injection other than wages and contracts. With a little more foresight the community could maybe have achieved a fund for the good of all.

camor
14-Nov-09, 06:54
May I point out one important difference between Dounreay and Sullem Voe/ Flotta, The companies using these terminals are making huge profits from the use of these terminals, billions a year in fact and the local councils negotiated excellent deals for their communities as part of the planning proccess. Mark my words, if planning was not given the oil companies would have sited them some where else and extended the pipelines to those sites. Dounreay, on the other hand, was initially built as an experiment, not as a profit making enterprise therefore any wealth or capitol generated from Dounreay was always going to be through employment and servicing the site and its operations. Dounreay was not making vast profits through its operations, unlike the oil companies using Sullem Voe and Flotta.

Rheghead
14-Nov-09, 11:18
I take from the current results of the poll that consumers are quite happy for indigenous peoples to go without basic things like water etc?