PDA

View Full Version : limit of copper broadband

daviddd
10-Nov-09, 21:56
At present I am living in Halkirk village and get an adequately fast internet connection, however I am considering moving to a house which is 8 miles away from Halkirk near to the end of the telephone line. I seem to get around 500kB on average here in Halkirk - can anyone tell me how the speed 8 miles out would compare?

I know the nearest exchange to the house is Halkirk and I think the ADSL thingy is here in the village too? Broadband is important to me and my work so I don't want to risk moving only to find I'm back on dial-up speed or worse! BT have only said that the line at the new address will SUPPORT 400-500k but does that actually mean that is the likely speed?

seanyt
10-Nov-09, 22:20
Distance is not the only factor to consider, the quality of the cabling to the house also affects speeds. I have heard of people in the town, close the the exchange getting appalling speeds, which was due to older copper going to their house.

If the cabling is OK, then you should be able to get it, all though it is stretching it a bit!

If there's someone in the house just now, might be worth calling them to see if they have broadband installed?

daviddd
10-Nov-09, 22:50
The present occupier doesn't have broadband installed Sean. Thanks for this, interesting.

NickInTheNorth
11-Nov-09, 09:05
At present I am living in Halkirk village and get an adequately fast internet connection, however I am considering moving to a house which is 8 miles away from Halkirk near to the end of the telephone line. I seem to get around 500kB on average here in Halkirk - can anyone tell me how the speed 8 miles out would compare?

I know the nearest exchange to the house is Halkirk and I think the ADSL thingy is here in the village too? Broadband is important to me and my work so I don't want to risk moving only to find I'm back on dial-up speed or worse! BT have only said that the line at the new address will SUPPORT 400-500k but does that actually mean that is the likely speed?

If the line length is genuinely 8 miles then the chances of getting a connection over ADSL are very slim. If you do get a connection then it will be at the very bottom end of the range - so yes 500k as a maximum I would think. (edit -Thinking again no, I don't even believe you will get a connection!)

In addition if you do get a connection at all you are likely to face problems with intermittent connection, you almost certainly will not get a reliable service.

Things may improve when we get the 21c network here in Caithness, (in theory q3 2011) but I wouldn't count on it.

Are you certain that the serving exchange is Halkirk? and that you will therefore have a line length over 12km?

You may find some useful information on this site:
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/BroadbandforScotland

In particular take a look at the Broadband reach info on this link:
http://www.avanti-communications.com/scotland/installation_forecast.htm

you may still be able to get satellite broadband provided at near to normal broadband costs. Give them a call.

Kirdon
11-Nov-09, 10:42
Distance is not the only factor to consider, the quality of the cabling to the house also affects speeds. I have heard of people in the town, close the the exchange getting appalling speeds, which was due to older copper going to their house.

If the cabling is OK, then you should be able to get it, all though it is stretching it a bit!

If there's someone in the house just now, might be worth calling them to see if they have broadband installed?

Broadband as a rule of thumb works to approx 5 miles on 0.5 copper cable. The age of the copper is irrelevant, it is the size that matters. Also a big factor is if any of the cable is Aluminium which drastically slows the speed. At your distance you will be lucky to get broadband to work and if you do it may not be stable and keep dropping out, but without actually trying it is hard to say.