PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Op.

Venture
10-Nov-09, 17:06
Just to let everyone know that Frisky has had his operation to repair a double perineal hernia as well as being castrated. It has taken just over 4 hours and the vet has said she is pleased with how things went. She has managed to do both sides of the hernia in the one op so that is a blessing for him. She has said it was a bad one and now we have to pray for no complications like any pinched nerves, bleeding or infection. The wound has been closed with clips and he now has a bottom resembling a baboon but I'm sure he won't mind that. He has drains in either side and is on a drip. He is still heavily sedated and will be like that for a while to help relieve the pain. She thinks it's best we don't come and see him for a few days as it may upset him having to be left again. It is expected that he will be home, all going well, after 4-5 days. It's so hard not being able to see him but it would probably be too upsetting anyway. I'm just glad it's all over and can't wait to have him home, complete with "lampshade", to spoil him rotten.

Big thank-you to everyone who has sent me pm's or posted here. Your concern is really appreciated. He's not out of the woods yet so fingers crossed everything goes well from here. I'll update you on his condition tomorrow.

BINBOB
10-Nov-09, 17:30
Just to let everyone know that Frisky has had his operation to repair a double perineal hernia as well as being castrated. It has taken just over 4 hours and the vet has said she is pleased with how things went. She has managed to do both sides of the hernia in the one op so that is a blessing for him. She has said it was a bad one and now we have to pray for no complications like any pinched nerves, bleeding or infection. The wound has been closed with clips and he now has a bottom resembling a baboon but I'm sure he won't mind that. He has drains in either side and is on a drip. He is still heavily sedated and will be like that for a while to help relieve the pain. She thinks it's best we don't come and see him for a few days as it may upset him having to be left again. It is expected that he will be home, all going well, after 4-5 days. It's so hard not being able to see him but it would probably be too upsetting anyway. I'm just glad it's all over and can't wait to have him home, complete with "lampshade", to spoil him rotten.

Big thank-you to everyone who has sent me pm's or posted here. Your concern is really appreciated. He's not out of the woods yet so fingers crossed everything goes well from here. I'll update you on his condition tomorrow.

Venture...so happy it is over[the worst bit] and hope Frisky is soon back at home demanding his needs!!!
Was at the vet in Thurso today...and was thinking about him.
My cocker,Lottie is going to have a tumour removed from her lip.
I will look forward to the updates on Frisky.:D

carasmam
10-Nov-09, 17:30
Good to hear the operation went well. It will be difficult not visiting, but as you say probably for the best.
Keep us updated :) I'm sure he will come on fine

teenybash
10-Nov-09, 18:09
Fingers, toes, arms, legs and even eyes crossed for Frisky making a full recovery...............When you get him home give him a special hug from Teeny.

cuddlepop
10-Nov-09, 18:29
Glad to here the op went well ,fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.:D

Margaret M.
10-Nov-09, 19:57
So glad the surgery went well, Venture. Here's hoping Frisky's recovery is speedy and smooth.

krackenkid
10-Nov-09, 20:02
All fingers and paws crossed her for a healthy happy frisky to be home soon xxx

Liz
10-Nov-09, 20:07
Really delighted to hear that the op went well and hope and pray that Frisky's recovery is swift and uncomplicated.

He will be snoozing away so hope you get a good night's sleep tonight as I am pretty sure you wouldn't have slept well last night!

The healing light and love coming from us all at Pets Corner will help I am sure.

It is awful not being able to see him.:( As I told you, Benjy had to stay for a week in Perth following Orthopaedic surgery and it was the longest week of my life!

Take care and get plenty of rest as you will be Frisky's nurse when he comes home!

Venture
11-Nov-09, 12:24
Thank-you to everyone who has asked after Frisky. I have spoken with the vet this morning and she is really pleased with his progress. He had a good night and has been up and out for a pee although still wobbly and sore. They have hand fed him some food which he ate and he has recovered well from the anaesthetic which at 5 hours all told was long for a dog his age. He has had his antibiotic and pain killing jags and there is still some bleeding from one side which is to be expected with such major surgery. The biggest problem they have with him is, he keeps wagging his tail, bless him, and this is not good as its operating muscles etc. near the wound and the drains. Because they don't want him to get excited we are still not allowed to see him which is really hard but understandable. I certainly feel much better about the situation now. I couldn't stop thinking about him all night being there on his own. There is still a long way to go but he's getting there.

BINBOB I hope everything goes well with Lottie, she will be in good hands.

Thanks again to everyone for your good wishes.;)

Liz
11-Nov-09, 13:28
That is such good news Venture.:D I know he has a way to go but he is off to a really good start!

Bless the wee soul for wagging his tail.

BINBOB
11-Nov-09, 15:50
Thank-you to everyone who has asked after Frisky. I have spoken with the vet this morning and she is really pleased with his progress. He had a good night and has been up and out for a pee although still wobbly and sore. They have hand fed him some food which he ate and he has recovered well from the anaesthetic which at 5 hours all told was long for a dog his age. He has had his antibiotic and pain killing jags and there is still some bleeding from one side which is to be expected with such major surgery. The biggest problem they have with him is, he keeps wagging his tail, bless him, and this is not good as its operating muscles etc. near the wound and the drains. Because they don't want him to get excited we are still not allowed to see him which is really hard but understandable. I certainly feel much better about the situation now. I couldn't stop thinking about him all night being there on his own. There is still a long way to go but he's getting there.

BINBOB I hope everything goes well with Lottie, she will be in good hands.

Thanks again to everyone for your good wishes.;)

That is great news...what a trooper!!Both of u.:D
Lottie,I am sure will be fine...it is very minor compared to what Frisky has had done.Thank u for ur good wishes.Take care.x;)

teenybash
11-Nov-09, 18:56
Happy Frisky is getting there and recovering well.......Won't be too long till you have hims home again.:)