PDA

View Full Version : Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

Gizmo
10-Nov-09, 00:32
I didn't think they would be able to make a better album than 'Puzzle', but they have, by a long way, these new songs are simply fantastic.

Pretentious types, will probably shout "Sell Out"....but who the hell cares what they think? ;)

buddyrich
10-Nov-09, 01:04
Sell outs.

Kenneth
10-Nov-09, 01:25
no sure yet - the captain is awful i think, that golden rule is great....

loganbiffy
10-Nov-09, 10:55
Well after following Biffy from the very start, I didn't really enjoy Puzzle at first as it's a good bit weaker than their first 3 albums, the creative experimentation on the first 3 albums is crazy good.

Puzzle grew on me after seeing past the "commercial nature" of the album, and it has some great songs on it.

Moving on to Only Revolutins, I was not so keen on first 2 or 3 plays but again it has grown on me. Sone very catchy hooks in there and some wonderfully structured songs. However, their creative experimentation has almost disappeared. They now have a basic Verse/Chorus/Verse song structure which some might say is great and it does work (tried and tested for years) but what I loved about Biffy to start with was that they were not afraid to go off on crazy 7 minute songs that sometimes sounded like 3 different songs.

It definetly has some great songs on it, Bubbles, That Golden Rule, Cloud of Stink. I just can't help but feel that it has been watered down though, I mean it has Mountains on it, which was not going to be on an album and came out over a year ago, but then again that is major label pressure for you.

All in all a grand effort but not their best work in my opinion.

Olin
10-Nov-09, 11:28
I don't see the big hype with Biffy? For some reason they just don't "do it" for me lmao!

I wouldn't turn them off, but I wouldn't put them on if you get me?

loganbiffy
10-Nov-09, 16:37
I don't see the big hype with Biffy? For some reason they just don't "do it" for me lmao!

I wouldn't turn them off, but I wouldn't put them on if you get me?

Each to their own dude.
There is a lot of hype surrounding them now yeah, never used to be that way though, but this always happens when a band goes to a major label after being on an independent label for so long.

The album is good, still not my favourite though.

huh
10-Nov-09, 22:34
I prefer The Vertigo of Bliss, though Only Revolutions is alright. It's just not the band I fell for five years ago.

Kings of Leon though, there's a band that definitely changed their sound for the worse.

Serenity
11-Nov-09, 00:33
Not had much chance to listen to it yet but I like the singles. Yes they are different and more radio friendly but that was inevitable. Just wish I went to see them live during "Vertigo of Bliss" / "Infinity Land" - would have been mad in the crowd!!
Agree with ya on KoL huh >(

loganbiffy
11-Nov-09, 12:14
I prefer The Vertigo of Bliss, though Only Revolutions is alright. It's just not the band I fell for five years ago.

Kings of Leon though, there's a band that definitely changed their sound for the worse.

Vertigo is my favourite Biffy album and looks like it always will be. Been listening to them for 7 years now, seen them 6 times and the first time I saw them, there was around 80 people there and I sat on stage with the band.

I bet they never thought they would be supporting bands like Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on back then.

They deserve the success for all their hard work, I just prefer the old material like Vertigo and Infinity Land.

huh
12-Nov-09, 01:20
Definitely, the new album is growing on me more and more as well thankfully. Liking "Booooom, Blast & Ruin".

Invisible
12-Nov-09, 01:37
Vertigo is my favourite Biffy album and looks like it always will be. Been listening to them for 7 years now, seen them 6 times and the first time I saw them, there was around 80 people there and I sat on stage with the band.

I bet they never thought they would be supporting bands like Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on back then.

They deserve the success for all their hard work, I just prefer the old material like Vertigo and Infinity Land.

Saw them at Bella must have been in 2007, they were on at like 2pm in a small tent if memory serves, little less than a year later saw them playing to thousands at hampden supporting RHCP. I noticed Kerrang magazine was always supportive of them when i used to buy it.

If we don't know where we belong
It'll make no difference from where we started