PDA

View Full Version : Lost at sea

scotsannie
09-Nov-09, 21:46
Hi, I'm looking to find 2 Great Uncle's who were lost at sea, but not sure where to start, would appreciate some help. They are Donald Murray born 29th July 1844 at Olrig and his brother William born 20th March 1850. Their father was John Murray born 1824 and their mother was Margaret ms Budge born about 1821. Many Thanks:(

trinkie
10-Nov-09, 07:58
Good morning Scotsannie,

It's always so sad to hear of such a tragedy. May I ask where you got the information, was it from a Death Cert or word of mouth from the family ? If you can give any other details like the town or village, or if you know it was from a fishing boat etc.the name would be helpful. I will try to find out something. Please give as much info as you possibly can.
If you are local in Caithness, then the Library might have something like a newspaper cutting, it's always worth asking.

Kind regards
Trinkie.

scotsannie
10-Nov-09, 16:18
Hi Trinkie, Thank you for your reply, unfortunatley I don't have any further information, I will have to call in the library next time I am up home. I will do some more googling and see if anything comes up. Thank you again. Scotsannie.

trinkie
10-Nov-09, 17:17
Hi,

Do you have any dates. Or a date of the last census they were still alive, that will give ages and addresses too.

Trinkie

Skifter
10-Nov-09, 19:56
In the Monumental Inscription book for Olrig Cemetery there is the following entry.

John Murray 29.12.1886 61, w Margt Budge 13.12.1916 93, fam Margt 23.9.1891 45 (h Wm Manson), Matilda 13.3.1904 44, John Budge 16.11.1910 63, Alex 30.11.1925 73 all d Castletown, Don and Wm lost at sea, Dav d Chicago.

Artista
11-Nov-09, 22:06
Hi I don't know if this is any help or you may already have tried it. I too have a relative whom I knew went over board and was drowned. I got the details on Scotlands People website by using the option all records for place of death. I also looked up a book in the Mitchell archives in Glasgow which was exactly the same as the info/n on the website. Hope this is useful to you.

scotsannie
11-Nov-09, 22:31
Hi, Thanks Artista, will try Scotland's people. I have found Donald and William on the 1861 Census Donald was shown as 16 and William as 11yrs.

scotsannie
11-Nov-09, 22:33
Thanks Skifter for your information as well.

Tricia
21-Nov-09, 22:07
Hi, Thanks Artista, will try Scotland's people. I have found Donald and William on the 1861 Census Donald was shown as 16 and William as 11yrs.

Hi
Can you let us know if you find them on SP. Would be interesting to see if they drowned same incident and if any others if it was a boating accident.
Tricia

scotsannie
24-Nov-09, 21:31
Well folks, I have tried scotlands people,nothing, I don't know where to go next. I couldn't find either Donald or William, and the truth is I can't remember where it said they had been lost at sea. Will maybe see if there is anything in the library when I am next up home. :~(

KitKat
08-Jan-10, 21:10
Does anyone know the story of a dozen teenagers from Clyth aged 13 to 19 who were all lost off Halbury Head, Clyth in the spring of 1855? Anyone know what happened? Was it a fishing trip that went wrong or some lads mucking about in boats?

Mamie_2
09-Jan-10, 18:41
trinkie posted this message

06-Apr-08, 07:22
trinkie
1K.Orger Join Date: Jan 2003

1855 Disaster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No sooner said than done ! It pays to look more carefully at one's notes !!

I now find there is a good account of this disaster in the Book of Lybster by Donald A. Young. This wonderful book is no longer in print. I will give a few brief notes below -----

''Tuesday 24th April 1855
The boat ‘Mansie Laird’
13 youths aged between 12 – 19 were drowned
Heading for Skerrymore to gather bait.
Severe gale nothing to cause concern ''

names are listed .

By the way Donald Young adds ''The Mansie Laird'' was the nom de plume of a character who wrote wry and humorous notes in the Northern Ensign of that period - The name Mansie is derived from Magnus and used to be common in the Northern Isles..

Hope this helps your search
Regards
Trinkie

Mamie