PDA

View Full Version : Armistice day wick

spurtle
08-Nov-09, 17:39
Did anyone here go?It was the first time I'd been to the one in Wick, the weather was great and it was good to see so many young kids there too.I have to say, though, I found the sermon/talk given about the innocent lives lost through our stupidity and national greed a strange one as I felt this was not the time to air political views, I understand there are many innocents killed in war and is not pretty, but to soley focus on that point on such a day I felt was not right.Am I in a minority?

Stavro
08-Nov-09, 18:04
Did anyone here go?It was the first time I'd been to the one in Wick, the weather was great and it was good to see so many young kids there too.I have to say, though, I found the sermon/talk given about the innocent lives lost through our stupidity and national greed a strange one as I felt this was not the time to air political views, I understand there are many innocents killed in war and is not pretty, but to soley focus on that point on such a day I felt was not right.Am I in a minority?

If they were killed as a result of stupidity and greed, then it should be mentioned. All wars are instigated and waged for the motives of a certain group. I hope that some words were also spoken on behalf of the Germans who died, too.

spurtle
08-Nov-09, 18:40
I think he was talking of more recent operations, and although I agree with some of the points he did not really mention our injured troops of those who have died, it sounded like a party political broadcast.He used the word stupidity about 3 times and that we need to seek god's forgiveness for bad things that were commited by our troops.Which is all fair and well but that is not the platform.

badger
08-Nov-09, 20:25
I think he was talking of more recent operations, and although I agree with some of the points he did not really mention our injured troops of those who have died, it sounded like a party political broadcast.He used the word stupidity about 3 times and that we need to seek god's forgiveness for bad things that were commited by our troops.Which is all fair and well but that is not the platform.

Agree it was rather an odd address for this occasion. Do wish they would get all the organisations to learn that one verse of the hymn - even the Minister didn't seem to be singing. Was a bit worried about some rather lively children near me but they behaved beautifully - absolutely silent and attentive all through. Band was excellent as always.

If the driver near Mackays Hotel who decided to start up and move off during the Silence sees this, could you really not have waited one minute?

Dr Evil
08-Nov-09, 21:30
well i think that it was a very good ceremony, and the minister gave a great service! having been to 3 different ceremonies in the last 4 years it was great to go to the one at home for a change and i really enjoyed taking part!

thebigman
09-Nov-09, 09:14
Might be pedantic but yesterday was rememberance Sunday, Armistice Day is not until the 11th.

Rheghead
09-Nov-09, 12:08
I have to say, though, I found the sermon/talk given about the innocent lives lost through our stupidity and national greed a strange one as I felt this was not the time to air political views, I understand there are many innocents killed in war and is not pretty, but to soley focus on that point on such a day I felt was not right.Am I in a minority?

God's message has always been about peace. Peace is maintained by not going to war in the first place so it was appropriate for the minister to talk in such a way. Can't see how wanting peace is political mind.

Tubthumper
09-Nov-09, 13:37
The sermons confuse me. Lots of allusions to the Israelites legging it from Egypt to Palestine with God on their side, pursuit from the Egyptian Army who then got killed...
Poor choice of examples. (a) the Israelites seem to be causing most of the problems we're involved with (b) God's on whose side? (c) the soldiers got killed. As usual.
I thought the whole idea of Remembrance was to remember and hopefully avoid making the same mistakes? So after 90 years, who's learned anything?

Tubthumper
09-Nov-09, 13:57
The Soldier
It is the soldier, not the minister, who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the student activist, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the soldier, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote.
It is the soldier who salutes the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who permits the protester to burn the flag.

Charles M. Province
[an officer in the US Army under General Patten and the General's biographer.]

Tubthumper
09-Nov-09, 13:59
[quote=Rheghead;618221] God's message has always been about peace. [quote]
No it hasn't

Stavro
09-Nov-09, 14:09
No it hasn't

True. The god of the Old Testament, Jehovah or Yahweh, is definitely not a god of peace, but a vengeful, spiteful, jealous, vindictive, genocidal liar. I.e., the OT god is the Devil. It is this thing that we are fighting all these vile wars for, yet still the ministers talk about god being on "our" side.

The real God is talked of, amidst the inserted lies - such as the virgin birth and Jesus being a Jew, in the New Testament.

When will we open our eyes as to why these men, women, children and animals on ALL SIDES, were sacrificed in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, ... ? :~(

Tubthumper
09-Nov-09, 14:20
Stavro, don't you dare hijack the Remembrance parade for your religious standpoint.

Stavro
09-Nov-09, 14:26
Stavro, don't you dare hijack the Remembrance parade for your religious standpoint.

Religious or political, Tubthumper, where do you draw the line?

RN1995
09-Nov-09, 16:38
I was also part of this parade this year, and I felt that everything was very good, everything went on time and I felt that the minister and the service was very good !!!