PDA

View Full Version : a lesson well learnt.

balto
08-Nov-09, 13:19
Right back in april my daughter decided she wanted a laptop for her birthday, must say at the time i thought it was a bit expensive but decided to look online to see what bargains i could get. I found a website which offered reburbished laptops at good prices, well i thought at the time must be a catch, so i decided to phone them and enquire, rather than do it straight online, the chap assured me that these laptops were perfect, so i took the plunge and paid £200 for a latop with windows xp on it, well when we got it set up it was working brilliantly, then about a month later the charger started playing up, by catching fire when it was on my daughters bed, now i phoned the company and they said thaat the chargers werent under guarantee, but as we could have all been killed(if we had been in bed when this happened) i told them if they wouldnt help i would take this to consumer rights, so they agreed to sent me the new lead for it(not the battery charger), anyway the wole charger packed in, so i just decided to fork out for a new charger myself this time, which i did.. Then last week the screen went all funny, and as the system was only bought in april i thought they would have been some sort of guarantee to beable to get it repaired, only to phone and be told there was only a 3 month guarantee with it, which i apparently told when i bought it(which i wasnt). Must say i went a bit mad at him when he told me that, as i had paid £200 for a laptop to last 6 months, i was not impressed, so he asked me what was wrong and apparently its either corrupt software or hardware, oh and apparently its easy to fix(thats ok if you know about computers). So i have learnt to lessons, if something seems to good to be true, then you can bet it is, and the other thing, NEVER EVER BUY FROM PORTABLE UNIVERESE, i have got a broken laptop and a upset child who now doesnt have a laptop. Here ends my rant..[evil][evil]

theone
08-Nov-09, 13:43
If you paid by credit card you are protected under the consumer credit act.

If the company won't fix/replace/refund the laptop, phone your credit card and ask for a charge back.

If you paid by switch/cash I'm afraid it won't be that easy.

balto
08-Nov-09, 13:48
If you paid by credit card you are protected under the consumer credit act.

If the company won't fix/replace/refund the laptop, phone your credit card and ask for a charge back.

If you paid by switch/cash I'm afraid it won't be that easy.
unfortunalty i paid by my debit card, just so annoyed.

Geo
08-Nov-09, 14:43
First of all I'd make sure it is a fault. Do you know anyone who knows a bit about PCs? If it is faulty then the Sale of Goods Act will apply as you bought it from a retailer. Shop warranties are in addition to your consumer rights, not instead of. I'd have a chat with Citizens Advice or Trading Standards to see what your rights are.

mums angels
08-Nov-09, 15:07
Right back in april my daughter decided she wanted a laptop for her birthday, must say at the time i thought it was a bit expensive but decided to look online to see what bargains i could get. I found a website which offered reburbished laptops at good prices, well i thought at the time must be a catch, so i decided to phone them and enquire, rather than do it straight online, the chap assured me that these laptops were perfect, so i took the plunge and paid £200 for a latop with windows xp on it, well when we got it set up it was working brilliantly, then about a month later the charger started playing up, by catching fire when it was on my daughters bed, now i phoned the company and they said thaat the chargers werent under guarantee, but as we could have all been killed(if we had been in bed when this happened) i told them if they wouldnt help i would take this to consumer rights, so they agreed to sent me the new lead for it(not the battery charger), anyway the wole charger packed in, so i just decided to fork out for a new charger myself this time, which i did.. Then last week the screen went all funny, and as the system was only bought in april i thought they would have been some sort of guarantee to beable to get it repaired, only to phone and be told there was only a 3 month guarantee with it, which i apparently told when i bought it(which i wasnt). Must say i went a bit mad at him when he told me that, as i had paid £200 for a laptop to last 6 months, i was not impressed, so he asked me what was wrong and apparently its either corrupt software or hardware, oh and apparently its easy to fix(thats ok if you know about computers). So i have learnt to lessons, if something seems to good to be true, then you can bet it is, and the other thing, NEVER EVER BUY FROM PORTABLE UNIVERESE, i have got a broken laptop and a upset child who now doesnt have a laptop. Here ends my rant..[evil][evil]

I had similar situation a year or so ago about getting a cheap laptop for my daughter it was a total waste of time and money so this year we waited for the Dell deals to come on and have managed to get her a little 10in 160GB with windows xp for £200 , shes getting it for her xmas and am sure she will be thrilled , i won't ever be buying "cheap" again :(

thebigman
08-Nov-09, 16:51
There's a good chance that the charger over heated because it was being used on the bed. The bed linen and duvets cover the air inlet / outlets and cause this. Have known a few chargers and laptops knackered with this.

Get a bed table or a tray to sit the gear on.

Rheghead
08-Nov-09, 18:18
Moral of story is that you get what you pay for.