PDA

View Full Version : Rowan berries killed barney...........

BINBOB
04-Nov-09, 18:04
For some of u very caring orgers who read about Barney ,blue roan cocker grandson of my orange cocker Saffi,it was NOT kidney failure...........but liver failure due to him eating Rowan berries .They had been found in his poop few weeks before.

I also told u about my young cocker,Jack,who did same and nearly died at 7 months.Jack did survive until he was 7 and died of auto immune disease.[no connection].

His breeder,Jane and his owner,Margaret are absolutely devastated at such a preventable issue,causing the horrible death of Barney,aged nearly 3.
I am also very upset........it was so preventable.
Please be aware and spread the word.they may look nice,BUT............

Margaret has had the rowan trees in her garden felled and very sadly ,now dawning on her is that her cocker before Barney also died of liver failure at an early age..............probably the same cause.
Thank u for reading.:(:(

Thumper
04-Nov-09, 18:18
Oh my god thats terrible Binbob! I have a cocker who tries to eat anything and everything-I will be extra careful from now!Thank you for warning us about the dangers x

BINBOB
04-Nov-09, 18:30
Oh my god thats terrible Binbob! I have a cocker who tries to eat anything and everything-I will be extra careful from now!Thank you for warning us about the dangers x

Thanks Thumper........I only wish I did not have to write this.

As u probably know,cockers will pick anything up.........be vigilant.
When my jack ate the berries,the trees were not in our garden............the birds were dropping them in it.My dad and myself used to go round the garden several times daily .after Jack being ill.
Please be vigilant...........hug for ur cocker..great wee beasties.;)

unicorn
04-Nov-09, 18:48
Rowan berries do a lot of damage. I was recently astounded to see a plant a tree offer for childminders and the free tree was a rowan !!! Needless to say I didn't take the offer up.

Liz
04-Nov-09, 20:29
Thanks for the warning Binbob and it so sad that these lovely doggies died prematurely due to something which was preventable.:(

teenybash
04-Nov-09, 22:42
How very, very sad, though the berries of the Rowan are beautiful to see, they are lethal...................Hopefully everyone will take note. An excellent post Binbob.

BINBOB
05-Nov-09, 10:42
How very, very sad, though the berries of the Rowan are beautiful to see, they are lethal...................Hopefully everyone will take note. An excellent post Binbob.

Thank u,teenybash...

Thumper
05-Nov-09, 16:13
Thanks Thumper........I only wish I did not have to write this.

As u probably know,cockers will pick anything up.........be vigilant.
When my jack ate the berries,the trees were not in our garden............the birds were dropping them in it.My dad and myself used to go round the garden several times daily .after Jack being ill.
Please be vigilant...........hug for ur cocker..great wee beasties.;)

Binbob-BIG hug given and happily accepted :lol: thank you for highlighting this,I knew they were poisonous but hadnt really given much thoght about my wee girl eating some accidently,I am now even more vigilant thanks to you x

BINBOB
05-Nov-09, 16:16
Binbob-BIG hug given and happily accepted :lol: thank you for highlighting this,I knew they were poisonous but hadnt really given much thoght about my wee girl eating some accidently,I am now even more vigilant thanks to you x

Oh...what lovely,kind words,Thumper.......really ,really much appreciated.xx:D;)