PDA

View Full Version : Silence or Applause ?

The Angel Of Death
03-Nov-09, 12:02
Were now coming up to remembrance Sunday and have read in the locals papers that that Celtic Fc have applied to Falkirk to have an applaud for the remembrance weekend instead of a silence

Now I don't want this turn into a football they did this and they did that thread but am I alone in thinking that we shouldn't be applauding the fact that millions of people died in such a terrible way

I think that we should be silent for the time that's its observed its the same when someone important dies I would far rather have some silence to ponder my thoughts of the person or event a minutes applauds just to me seems disrespectful almost to the fact your actually aplauding the event or the fact that they have died

Now if the family asks for the applause then that's fair enough and I would fully respect there wishes and applaude

Can you imagine the outcry if we all clapped hands for a few minutes on september the 11th ?

Whats every else think ?

changilass
03-Nov-09, 12:10
Is the applause to cover up and mindless numpties who cannot be trusted to keep quiet for the minute - if so it is probably a good idea, just a shame it has to be done this way.

Another case of minority rule.[disgust]

highlander
03-Nov-09, 12:10
My vote would go for silence, its one minute of our lives that we can at least all spend to give our thoughts solely to all the servicemen and women, past and present. I would only think of applausing when i have something to celebrate.

The Angel Of Death
03-Nov-09, 12:30
I mean if there was a situation where i didnt agree with the silence then as a mark of respect i would still observe it and conduct myself in a proper mannor

I mean its only 2 mins of your life its not much to give up compared to what others gave up

NickInTheNorth
03-Nov-09, 12:42
Better observed by applause than ignored.

When we allow ourselves to forget the suffering of all involved in wars, throughout the world, then we begin to lose our humanity.

I personally would not care if someone chose to mark remembrance day with a rave just so long as they remember.

Amy-Winehouse
03-Nov-09, 12:46
Silence.

Why should we cater for these moron`s? Its always been a minute or 2 minutes silence, so why change it just because a bunch of ignorant football(not all I may add) fans cant be trusted to keep their mouths shut?
If the half wits want to make noises during the silence let them be filmed & shamed as the Sky cameras are going to be at that match, If it wasnt for those service men & women who gave all for this country they would speaking in a Nazi tongue & not able to spout their nonsense. These kind are the lowest of the low. Shame them[evil]

Mik.M.
03-Nov-09, 13:26
Silence.

Why should we cater for these moron`s? Its always been a minute or 2 minutes silence, so why change it just because a bunch of ignorant football(not all I may add) fans cant be trusted to keep their mouths shut?
If the half wits want to make noises during the silence let them be filmed & shamed as the Sky cameras are going to be at that match, If it wasnt for those service men & women who gave all for this country they would speaking in a Nazi tongue & not able to spout their nonsense. These kind are the lowest of the low. Shame them[evil]
Last year we were asked to stop the buses if possible,some people who were on board moaned even though we informed them what would be happening.It`s only 2 minutes. Show some respect for the people who gave their lives so we can live in freedom.

Hoida
03-Nov-09, 13:53
Rememberance day is a day to remember those who fought for our country and gave their lives in doing so We can only remember them in silence!

highlander
03-Nov-09, 13:58
Just read how the dancers on strictly come dancing were not allowed to wear poppys because it would be too dangerous if they flew off, why could they not come up with the idea of sewing them on. I remember when i was at school someone would come around the classes for us to buy one and explain the purpose of wearing it, do they still do this?

Alice in Blunderland
03-Nov-09, 14:29
I would prefer silence.

Its only for a short time and can allow those who wish to reflect a moment to do so. We live in such a busy noisy world that silence as they say is 'Golden' :)

Flashman
03-Nov-09, 14:41
Is the applause to cover up and mindless numpties who cannot be trusted to keep quiet for the minute - if so it is probably a good idea, just a shame it has to be done this way.

Another case of minority rule.[disgust]

Yeah, the problem I have with it is that it is actually INSULTING to the memory of these soldiers. Some who died and fought in the most horrific conditions and for Celtic FC to think it is acceptable to applaud this instead of contemplate the loss in silence is a disgrace.

For me it is just a way for the Celtic Board to save face, they spend alot PR time trying to promote their fans as being the best against the ugly Rangers bigots

However a situation like remembrance day washes away the thin gloss of paint and reveals the deep seeded intolarance and hatred that lingers around a section of their support. These are the guys that have such a backwards and simple grasp of politics, religion and history that you wonder if they ever had any schooling at all.

In short Celtic FC need to accept it and deal with it just as Rangers accept they have problems in their support.

northener
03-Nov-09, 14:56
I'd like to see a 'Mexican wave' roll down the crowd at the Cenotaph....

Rheghead
03-Nov-09, 15:14
Can you imagine the outcry if we all clapped hands for a few minutes on september the 11th ?

Whats every else think ?

Well i think you are comparing apples with oranges.

For a start the clapping is not clapping the dead but the bravery of those that died and the bravery of those that didn't who fought in wars.

The 911 victims were largely just innocent victims except the occasional guy who got remembered for outstanding bravery in leading sscores of people out of the buildings and the emergency services who attended the towers. If there was a seperate remembrance just for the firemen and police etc of 911 then I would think clapping could be appropriate then. It depends on the context I guess but others may disagree.

But then I would prefer silence but we have no grounds to judge how anyone expresses grief or respect, it is in the heart what counts.

BINBOB
03-Nov-09, 15:28
My vote would go for silence, its one minute of our lives that we can at least all spend to give our thoughts solely to all the servicemen and women, past and present. I would only think of applausing when i have something to celebrate.

With u on this one...

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Nov-09, 15:35
I dont mind what people think or say on this subject, as there are many different ways to come at it. But we should always ensure the memory of those who gave their lives during troubled times; circumstances that can be appreciated by even the most hard bitten republican or peacenik, and not sullied by inappropriate actions or words. It does get hijacked by the loyalist right wing factions, which, in itself is inappropriate, as many folk died fighting such regimes. Anyone who can't keep their mouth shut for one minute, however, needs their head seeing to.

golach
03-Nov-09, 15:52
. Anyone who can't keep their mouth shut for one minute, however, needs their head seeing to.

But this is a Celtic football crowd, how are they going to keep their mouths shut at an occasion such as this, they ridicule
the National Anthem, with their sectarian chants, Play the match on a Monday then.

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Nov-09, 15:53
But this is a Celtic football crowd, how are they going to keep their mouths shut at an occasion such as this, they ridicule
the National Anthem, with their sectarian chants, Play the match on a Monday then.

Hopefully they'll arrive a few minutes late, then.

Flashman
03-Nov-09, 20:07
Well i think you are comparing apples with oranges.

For a start the clapping is not clapping the dead but the bravery of those that died and the bravery of those that didn't who fought in wars.

The 911 victims were largely just innocent victims except the occasional guy who got remembered for outstanding bravery in leading sscores of people out of the buildings and the emergency services who attended the towers. If there was a seperate remembrance just for the firemen and police etc of 911 then I would think clapping could be appropriate then. It depends on the context I guess but others may disagree.

But then I would prefer silence but we have no grounds to judge how anyone expresses grief or respect, it is in the heart what counts.

I know what you are saying but I do profoundly disagree with regards to this paticular remembrance because of its connections with the 1st World War.

There is nothing to clap about when you are remembering the men that were ordered over the top and who met a hail of machine gun fire head on to gain just a few meters of ground.

We have a silence because it marks the guns falling silient on the western front, Celtic FC's request to clap about it is a very cowardly decision.

Id let the morons shout if they want as it would mark them out for the mindless minority they are against the thousands of real upstanding Celtic fans who would show respect.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Nov-09, 20:13
As long as its still remembered and not forgotten,thats the most important thing.Especially as the numbers decrease year after year.I personally think silence at this rememberance is the most appropriate.

Tighsonas4
03-Nov-09, 20:59
even the young lads who went over the top with cold steel in the trenches[wwi] just to be mown down many whos life was so short they never even seen a football
in ww2 clydebank was only one of many places that had nothing to applaud
at the going down of the sun etc. and least we forget tony

Kenn
03-Nov-09, 21:17
Two minutes of silent reflection for all those who gave their lives in the service of their country .

Venture
03-Nov-09, 22:08
There is nothing wrong with applauding service men and women who are at present serving their country at parades etc. but to applaud those who gave their lives is totally ridiculous. The one or two minutes silence is a tradition and should be respected. It is a time for everyone to remember the ultimate sacrifice made by so many. Apart from Remembrance Day how many of us take time out of our busy lives to think about what it must be like to lose a loved one through war? For those who have lost, the grief is with them every day and applauding their loss would be the last thing they would want to do. The least we can do is join with them, in silence, on the appropriate day, remember their loved ones and be grateful.

Moira
03-Nov-09, 23:41
Were now coming up to remembrance Sunday and have read in the locals papers that that Celtic Fc have applied to Falkirk to have an applaud for the remembrance weekend instead of a silence <snip>

Whats every else think ?

Having done a Google search I find this is not an entirely new concept.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article5119850.ece

I'm not sure what you mean when you say they "have applied to Falkirk". Do you mean that the Falkirk team are the hosts on this occasion and that they will have the final say about what takes place at the start of the game?
If so, I hope Falkirk reply with an emphatic "One-minute silence - end of"

I don't know the first thing about football, I'm afraid, but I do think that this time-honoured tradition of a short silence should be upheld. As others have said, it is a matter of respect for the sacrifice of our service men and women over the years.

I daresay many of them would have welcomed the chance to attend a football match, any football match, next weekend, with their family and friends. And here, in this country, some wish to shift the goalposts around (pun intended) to suit their own agenda.

I think that such moves should be resisted on each and every occasion they arise.

Venture
04-Nov-09, 09:18
So how many of us feel like applauding the news this morning? Another 5 British soldiers killed in the course of their duty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8341659.stm

When will it stop?

Thumper
04-Nov-09, 09:25
The only way to mark this respectfully is silence x

Lavenderblue2
04-Nov-09, 10:12
Silence.

Two minutes is precious little time in which to reflect on the losses and suffering of the past and present day.

northener
04-Nov-09, 10:47
Celtic's doing it to cover up the noise of a few knuckle-draggers. Which is sad, but that's not the same as discussing whether applause is suitable or not overall.

It is, to our way of thinking, a sombre occasion to remember the dead.
If we were an old warrior culture - like the Vikings (and probably the Briton/Celts...although I'm on shaky ground here) we would be celebrating their passing with noisy respect - not silence.

It's the remembering that is important - not the manner.

golach
04-Nov-09, 10:59
It's the remembering that is important - not the manner.

Totally agree, I attended the official opening of Edinburgh's Garden of Remembrance on Monday taking place at the foot of the Sir Walter Scott monument. The ceremony was attended by a couple of hundred from all the Services, and a few dignitaries, the minute silence was taken in a very bizarre situation, along side the Tram works in Princes Street and surrounded by visitors from all over the World. The Tramworks carried on, the Visitors were snap happy, the regular traffic carried on as usual, the city did not stop. Did the attending ex servicemen bother....no, we all stood to attention in our own bit of silence, and remembered in our own way, and were proud to be there.