PDA

View Full Version : Pancakes

chocolatechip
03-Nov-09, 00:09
Does anyone know how to make the "perfect" pancakes please! I got plain flour and and self raising. I don't know what to do!!

topotheuk
03-Nov-09, 10:27
I keep mine very plain and simple.

4 0z self raising flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon castor sugar

put all in bowl and mix. Add milk to make a gloopy batter.

Heat frying pan until quite hot (some people add a touch of oil, but I don't), then start adding your mixture to the pan. Depends whether you like large or small. I usually use a dessert spoon and make 4 small ones at a time. Once the bubbles have burst, turn them over for a minute or two, hey presto they are ready. My kids usually eat them as quick as they come out the pan. Good luck

roadbowler
05-Nov-09, 22:01
this recipe is in volume measurements rather than weight.1 cup plain flour, 2 tsp. Baking powder, half teaspoon salt, heaping tablespoon brown sugar, dash of cinnamon. Mix all this in a pouring pitcher. Then in a separate bowl 1 egg, 1 tablespoon oil, dash of vanilla essence, 1 cup milk. Mix this well then add to your 'dry' mixture, stirring together well, but, not till smooth... Leave it a wee bit lumpy. Add oil to a skillet on medium heat and pour in batter the size of pancakes you want and wait for them to bubble up then flip! My daughter asks for them nearly every morning. We eat them with butter and real maple syrup. You can also add oat bran, mashed bananas, powdered flax seed or even chocolate chips! Good luck!

catherine nicol
06-Nov-09, 14:20
Roadbowler - these are different. Must give your variations a try. Thanks

roadbowler
16-Nov-09, 20:53
yea, no problem! ;-)

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 21:04
I find the first one is always a bit rubbish so I make the first one smaller so not to waste batter.

I shake my batter before pouring too to make a really light pancake :)

mumof2
30-Jan-10, 21:14
leave the pancake mixture in the bowl for a good half hour before cooking as it give plenty time for the flour to swell, which in turn makes lovely fluffy pancakes that rise well.