PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones in Caithness & Sutherland?

cazmanian_minx
02-Nov-09, 21:56
Thinking about getting an iPhone or similar, but apparently the nearest 3G coverage is Inverness. Anyone got one? How well do they work up here?

ShelleyCowie
02-Nov-09, 21:58
Thinking about getting an iPhone or similar, but apparently the nearest 3G coverage is Inverness. Anyone got one? How well do they work up here?

Why not get one on O2? I know they do contract IPhones. Not sure if they sell them as pay as you go though.

Mik.M.
02-Nov-09, 21:59
My phone can not get all it`s 3G functions up here,but works ok in Inverness. Mine is on the 3 network. Mik.

Metalattakk
02-Nov-09, 22:08
There is no 3G coverage in Caithness.

In the centre of Wick it's said you can get a 3G signal, but it's only a 2.5G signal that some 'phones display as 3G.

Alice in Blunderland
02-Nov-09, 22:10
My daughter has an iphone.

She never uses the 3g function and when shes home she connects it to the house router.

She loves her phone best buy she ever made. :)

cazmanian_minx
02-Nov-09, 22:11
Why not get one on O2? I know they do contract IPhones. Not sure if they sell them as pay as you go though.

I'm happy enough sticking with Orange for now :D My mobile phone bill on PAYG is a £10 top up every 3-4 months, so a contract doesn't make sense for me. I'm just thinking that if none of the 3G functions, like internet browsing etc., don't work further north than Inverness there's not much point in shelling out for a snazzy phone and I might as well get a £20 basic job. My old RAZR is on its last legs though (it was second hand when I got it 5 years ago), so I'm going to have to get a replacement fairly soon.

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 22:12

What do you want to use it for? A couple of my friends have them and can sit there on msn or facebook etc no problem. Obviously they don't have a million conversations going on at once or anything but they seem to think it is okay. Plus there are all the apps that don't require 3G at all.
I don't have an Iphone but can quite happily access my gmail and facebook on the network up here. In fact I don't see much difference when I am in an area with 3G coverage but then I am not transferring a large amount of data.
To sum up: depends what you are using it for!

cazmanian_minx
02-Nov-09, 22:13
My daughter has an iphone.

She never uses the 3g function and when shes home she connects it to the house router.

She loves her phone best buy she ever made. :)

That's what I'd be doing most of the time - there's no mobile phone signal on any network at this house!

ShelleyCowie
02-Nov-09, 22:13
I'm happy enough sticking with Orange for now :D My mobile phone bill on PAYG is a £10 top up every 3-4 months, so a contract doesn't make sense for me. I'm just thinking that if none of the 3G functions, like internet browsing etc., don't work further north than Inverness there's not much point in shelling out for a snazzy phone and I might as well get a £20 basic job. My old RAZR is on its last legs though (it was second hand when I got it 5 years ago), so I'm going to have to get a replacement fairly soon.

A mate of mine has an IPhone and he connects just fine. He lives in thurso.

But your right if a contact would go to waste then there would be no point in it for some people.

cazmanian_minx
02-Nov-09, 22:16
What do you want to use it for? A couple of my friends have them and can sit there on msn or facebook etc no problem. Obviously they don't have a million conversations going on at once or anything but they seem to think it is okay. Plus there are all the apps that don't require 3G at all.
I don't have an Iphone but can quite happily access my gmail and facebook on the network up here. In fact I don't see much difference when I am in an area with 3G coverage but then I am not transferring a large amount of data.
To sum up: depends what you are using it for!

Ideally Skype, GPS functions (including as a sat nav), keeping an eye on my business email and online shop when I'm out for the day, eBook reader, social networking sites and maybe the occasional phone call!

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 22:17

You have to take into account data charges though - this might increase your cost of top-ups as it is per MB, some PAYG sims have inclusive data as long as you top up a certain amount each month. I currently have unlimited data on my Orange contract but am getting rid of it as soon as it runs out. Never use it all.

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 22:18
Ideally Skype, GPS functions (including as a sat nav), keeping an eye on my business email and online shop when I'm out for the day, eBook reader, social networking sites and maybe the occasional phone call!

Well apart from Skype I wouldn't see a problem on the go.

young_fishin_neep
02-Nov-09, 22:20
i can access the internet up here on my phone, even without connecting through the router, sometime a little slow though.. only thing i cant do on my phone is the video calling.

x

Phill
02-Nov-09, 23:26
GPRS signal is generally OK in these parts, not 3G but it will support most services.

I use a Blackberry on Vodafone which works fine for my needs which is mainly push email.
Tinterweb generally works OK as does the GPS/satnav thingymebob (for those of you who may not be aware GPS on phones uses the phone network to assist in trangulation and is not 100% reliant on sattelites).

John Baikie
02-Nov-09, 23:51
I have an iphone and it's great. I use it for email and internet all the time and it's fine.

purplelady
03-Nov-09, 00:38
my daughther has one and as far as i know she has no problems x i have a skype fone and have no probs with it get everything i can get in invernessx

Stingray
03-Nov-09, 09:03
I have a brand spanking new 32gb 3gs and it works a treat up here. Internet, email, the whole lot.... ah, and lets not forget some of the fantastic apps!!! Well worth the dosh!

Geo
03-Nov-09, 09:21
There is no 3G coverage in Caithness.

In the centre of Wick it's said you can get a 3G signal, but it's only a 2.5G signal that some 'phones display as 3G.

Are you sure? All the 3G phones I have tried display it as 3G in Wick. I asked O2 what services were available in Wick and they said 3G. It goes much further than the centre of Wick too.

MR_A
03-Nov-09, 10:05
I'm in Wick and I can get 3G at home and im not right in the centre.

cazmanian_minx
03-Nov-09, 11:50
Thanks everyone - now have to decide whether to save up the extortionate £500+ Orange want for a 32GB phone on PAYG, get something else, or get one on a business contract and write it off against my tax bill as a business expense! (I'm tempted by the last option...!)

Stefan
03-Nov-09, 13:13
Thanks everyone - now have to decide whether to save up the extortionate £500+ Orange want for a 32GB phone on PAYG, get something else, or get one on a business contract and write it off against my tax bill as a business expense! (I'm tempted by the last option...!)

If you have a business then that sounds like the better option.

Dog-eared
03-Nov-09, 13:20
When my new 3 phone wouldnt work in West caithness the 3 support section told me that I'm the furthest they had seen from a dedicated 3 mast. 68 miles.
They said theres a 3 mast going up behind Castletown in 3 months time.

EDDIE
03-Nov-09, 19:15

I have the pay as u go iphone on o2 have had the phone for about a year now i think its a brilliant phone and the apps are cheap and its really handy having access to your email anytime the only problem is u have to be in a 3g area to send photos by email or it will freeze.
The only moan i have about my iphone is that its on o2 which have poor 3 g coverage if i had my choice i would have it on vodaphone which the iphones are comming out at xmas on vodfone.
But given the fact that the battery on the iphone doesnt last long if ure playing games or watching videos its a good idea to buy a cable so u can charge it off your cigar lighter?
U can get 62g iphones ?
CAZMANIAN i no the iphone is expensive but given the fact the o2 ,orange,vodafone is going to be selling them it wouldnt suprise me if there is a price war after xmas and the iphone doubles up as mp3 player as well and 32gb is more than enough for storing music i think the iphone is worth buying

Serenity
04-Nov-09, 05:43
CAZMANIAN i no the iphone is expensive but given the fact the o2 ,orange,vodafone is going to be selling them it wouldnt suprise me if there is a price war after xmas and the iphone doubles up as mp3 player as well and 32gb is more than enough for storing music i think the iphone is worth buying

Not according to orange (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e43c2b98-c7dc-11de-8ba8-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss&nclick_check=1)

Will have to wait and see what happens when vodafone come into play.

Either way you're going to have to pay a lot either on contract or up front. Would say contracts look a lot better at the moment, considering data etc included.

Geo
04-Nov-09, 11:54
Orange's T&Cs for the iPhone prohibit using services like Youtube however there's been a backlash to that and they say they won't enforce it. I'd rather see it removed from the T&Cs though before buying.

EDDIE
04-Nov-09, 19:02
Orange's T&Cs for the iPhone prohibit using services like Youtube however there's been a backlash to that and they say they won't enforce it. I'd rather see it removed from the T&Cs though before buying.

You cant watch you tube on 3g anyway has to be on a wi fi connection only so i cant see why they will restrict it
If u buy the iphone on pay as you go the internet is free for the first year

Geo
04-Nov-09, 23:03
Basically it's any streaming media not provided by Orange. Here's the quote:

"Not to be used for other activities (eg using your handset as a modem, non-Orange internet based streaming services, voice or video over the internet, instant messaging, peer to peer file sharing, non-Orange internet based video). Should such use be detected notice may be given and Network protection controls applied to all services which Orange does not believe constitutes mobile browsing."

im behind you
05-Nov-09, 19:24
i have a n95. im on an o2 contract and i have a perfect 3g recption where ever i am in the county. im not sure but i think they installed a mast at the harbour last year.

EDDIE
05-Nov-09, 21:17
Basically it's any streaming media not provided by Orange. Here's the quote:

"Not to be used for other activities (eg using your handset as a modem, non-Orange internet based streaming services, voice or video over the internet, instant messaging, peer to peer file sharing, non-Orange internet based video). Should such use be detected notice may be given and Network protection controls applied to all services which Orange does not believe constitutes mobile browsing."

If the iphone is on o2 contract you can use the handset as a modem its called tethering

Geo
05-Nov-09, 21:36
Yes but not on Orange. My guess is they will have to back down on it though if other networks allow it.

benji
08-Nov-09, 01:55
.....or if you want a phone with all the apps and none of the hype (or cost) I am running an Andriod HTC Magic with Vodaphone (unlimited txts, tinternet, 600mins voice /month for about 30 quid)

Works exceptionally well up here.......

mums angels
08-Nov-09, 15:03
We have the Nokia n97 32GB that works with no problems here on vodafone and hubby can take his to work in Africa and still has no problems with the Apps etc , we use it mainly for GPS , youtube and facebook and couldnt be happier with it or its reception - plus it has the flip out keypad that i couldnt do without , much better IMO than the iphone