PDA

View Full Version : No smoking Ban

Mamabear
14-Apr-06, 19:53
Does it not apply in Wick?

I was walikng through the Town centre this morning & saw a Taxi driver blatantly flouting the ban, puffing away on a ciggie!

Surely they arent allowed to smoke in the cabs as they are their workplaces?
Made me think Im not getting that firm`s cabs

Buttercup
14-Apr-06, 20:01

I was walikng through the Town centre this morning & saw a Taxi driver blatantly flouting the ban, puffing away on a ciggie!

There's a taxi driver in Thurso does it too. It's his own business and says the car is his own property - just like his home - so can smoke if he likes!

Mamabear
14-Apr-06, 20:10
But it is a service for the paying public, surely you dont want to breathe in his smoke? I wouldnt use that cab firm now.

Buttercup
14-Apr-06, 20:17
But it is a service for the paying public, surely you dont want to breathe in his smoke? I wouldnt use that cab firm now.

Never would anyway. If the owner has that attitude he can't think very much of his customers and the customers should refuse enter his car. It must stink of smoke!

footie chick
14-Apr-06, 20:52
It is Soooo nice now going out for lunch and not stinky when you come home. Bet pubs are wishing the ban was brought in sooner judging by reports that takings are up![smirk]

philupmaboug
14-Apr-06, 21:19
Doesnt matter if its his own car or not, he is a taxi and therefor open to the public, so next time you see him take his number and report him.... I would.

obiron
14-Apr-06, 21:29
[quote=footie chick]It is Soooo nice now going out for lunch and not stinky when you come home.

totally agree. though when we left wetherspoons the other day it was like walking through a cloud, was only one person there too.

footie chick
14-Apr-06, 21:32
though when we left wetherspoons the other day it was like walking through a cloud, was only one person there too.[/quote]

run fast if you haven't have a big lunch[lol]

Drutt
14-Apr-06, 21:44
If pub owners are turning a blind eye, or taxi drivers are flouting the law, they need to be reported.

This is on the Highland Council website -

The smoke-free compliance line telephone number is 0845 130 7250 which will operate from 12 noon until midnight seven days a week, including public and bank holidays (http://www.highland.gov.uk/cx/pressreleases/2006/march/smoking_ban.html).

I'm presuming Highland Council must have other enforcement officers (not specific to the smoking ban) who work further north than Inverness. If not, you're in for a long wait until compliance is enforced.

Doolally
14-Apr-06, 21:50
[quote=footie chick]totally agree. though when we left wetherspoons the other day it was like walking through a cloud, was only one person there too.

Slight exaggeration maybe? I'd be surprised if one person could puff a cloud.

willowbankbear
14-Apr-06, 21:51
He shouldnt be smoking in the car, My mate drives for Jonnies Taxi`s in Wick & he says that if the Drivers get caught smoking, They would be fined £50 on the spot then the operators(owners) would be fined £200.
If that bloke isnt careful he`ll get himself fined £50 & probably searching for another job.
Shame on him,its not as if he hasnt been told is it? Im sure that Mrs.Begg will be very interested to know about that.

rainbow
14-Apr-06, 21:59
Just came back from England (just 2 miles over the border) and some Scots visiting the holiday park must have thought all their birthdays and Christmases had come at once. They had escaped the Scottish ban by visiting England. They smoked in the bar and dancehall as if smoking was going out of fashion - I was smelling like an ashtray when I left, and must have inhalled several packets - it certainly made me appreciate the purer air in the Scottish pubs etc. Can't tar all the Scots smokers with the same brush as there was some considerate souls who stood outside and stubbed their fag out before entering the premises.

footie chick
14-Apr-06, 22:20
[quote=obiron]

Slight exaggeration maybe? I'd be surprised if one person could puff a cloud.

Wasnt me that said that:roll:

willowbankbear
14-Apr-06, 22:33
[quote=Doolally]

Wasnt me that said that:roll:

Okay for those who didnt understand, When she left the bar,there was a lone dude just outside the front door, smoking a fag & puffing yukkie smoke in to the space at the front door that she had to pass through to get out the bar!
This is an offence as well as you are not supposed to smoke in access main doors.

J.D Wetherspoons......... You are found guilty of the above,take a £200 fine & do NOT pass go!

nancypotter45
14-Apr-06, 22:45
He shouldnt be smoking in the car, My mate drives for Jonnies Taxi`s in Wick & he says that if the Drivers get caught smoking, They would be fined £50 on the spot then the operators(owners) would be fined £200.
If that bloke isnt careful he`ll get himself fined £50 & probably searching for another job.
Shame on him,its not as if he hasnt been told is it? Im sure that Mrs.Begg will be very interested to know about that.

do you 'smoke' when you are driving fares around?

willowbankbear
14-Apr-06, 23:08
do you 'smoke' when you are driving fares around?

No Nancypotter, I dont smoke havent smoked for nearly a year thankyou, Do you smoke?

Fares??? what are you on about?
You insinuating Im a cabbie? Get real darling,they get crap wages and treated like crap

Loafer
15-Apr-06, 08:23

Taxi drivers have always been a law unto themselves. Have you not noticed that their cars don't have indicators??

The Loafer

dozerboy
15-Apr-06, 12:14
People still smoke at my workplace, but I wouldn't shop them. They do it when there are no bosses around. I know it's not right, but they find it hard. I am an ex smoker, so know what it's like.