PDA

View Full Version : Anti-windfarm Sentiment is killing Scottish Tourism

Rheghead
01-Nov-09, 13:39
Just read an article on wind-watch and it is amazing how these guys can twist a story around into their propaganda. A load a Austrian tourists wanted to go walking in Scotland and were put off by someone with a gripe about wind farms. Typical, just shows the image that they want to portray of Scotland is one worse than the reality.:roll:

What are they saying about the Highlands and Caithness? I thought there were less tourists this year...

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/11/01/our-hills-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-turbines-so-austrians-go-to-alps-instead/

chiel
01-Nov-09, 14:20
have you not worn out that drum you keep bangin,i think that caithness and the rest o the world knows what you think,but not everybody has to agree with you,i am sure i dont,if you used your computer less maybe we could get away with less turbines,i think you should devise a way of working out the carbon footprint per post on the org?

Rheghead
01-Nov-09, 14:28
have you not worn out that drum you keep bangin,i think that caithness and the rest o the world knows what you think,but not everybody has to agree with you,i am sure i dont,if you used your computer less maybe we could get away with less turbines,i think you should devise a way of working out the carbon footprint per post on the org?

I'm just restoring the one sided bias in the debate.

You could cut your carbon footprint and help save wildlfe and the landscape in which you live for the benefit of tourism by writing a letter of support for the next big windfarm in Caithness.

chiel
01-Nov-09, 14:39
obviously missed the point then

Rheghead
01-Nov-09, 14:46
obviously missed the point then

The only point is to drive Britain to a low carbon economy, have you not read the news lately? The benefits of a low carbon economy will negate the need/effects of pollution, immigration, war and last but not least Global Warming.

rupert
01-Nov-09, 14:59
The only point is to drive Britain to a low carbon economy, have you not read the news lately? The benefits of a low carbon economy will negate the need/effects of pollution, immigration, war and last but not least Global Warming.

When are you cycling back to Land's End? I'll be the first to sponsor you.

jazzyr1
01-Nov-09, 15:01

like it......

Rheghead
01-Nov-09, 15:09

You still have chance to sponsor me on the first trip.:roll:

kmahon2001
01-Nov-09, 15:18
At the risk of being shot as soon as I raise my head above the parapet here - What is the problem with wind turbines when the countryside is already absolutely covered with electricity pylons and telegraph poles? :eek:

chiel
01-Nov-09, 15:36
perhaps we could put 20/30 turbines in halkirk to replace any/all pylons/poles there may be,then decide for yourself?

kmahon2001
01-Nov-09, 15:53
perhaps we could put 20/30 turbines in halkirk to replace any/all pylons/poles there may be,then decide for yourself?

There are already windturbines in Halkirk (actually visible from the field across from my house), as well as the pylons, telegraph poles etc.

chiel
01-Nov-09, 16:05
i canna mind seeing one outside e comm,the last time i was in halkirk

kmahon2001
01-Nov-09, 16:17
i canna mind seeing one outside e comm,the last time i was in halkirk

Well they don't exactly park them in the main streets of towns and villages, do they. I understand that the windfarm is paying for all sorts of goodies in Halkirk, such as floodlights for the Ross Institute.

northener
01-Nov-09, 16:17
“I wrote back and told them not to bother. I explained that the Border hills have now been destroyed by numerous wind-farm developments with a lot more to come.
“Even the beautiful Cheviots are to be destroyed and no matter where you stand in the Border hills and look around, all you have is a view of massive turbines.”

He can hardly wail about his Austrian chums changing their minds if this (by his own admission) is what he told them.

I'd say he's made himself look rather stupid........

northener
01-Nov-09, 16:20

Try posting something relevant and intelligent instead of childlike personal insults.

chiel
01-Nov-09, 16:44
[quote=kmahon2001;615121]Well they don't exactly park them in the main streets of towns and villages, do they.

that was exactly my point ,but i have a pole 6 feet away from my house,and i dont mind it,but if it where a turbine.......
I doubt people notice a pole from 2km's away,but a turbine is visible/recognisable from how far?

my point about the carbon footprint etc,is relevant and not childish,it proves a point of wastful use of this energy that some folk go on about,but for your info northener,"if you used your computer less maybe we could get away with less turbines,i think you should devise a way of working out the carbon footprint per post on the org?"was said by a 5yr boy,i think that makes him older than his years,dont you agree?

ywindythesecond
01-Nov-09, 18:48
At the risk of being shot as soon as I raise my head above the parapet here - What is the problem with wind turbines when the countryside is already absolutely covered with electricity pylons and telegraph poles? :eek:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200708/ldselect/ldeconaf/195/8061708.htm

golach
01-Nov-09, 20:15

I am with you on this one, Caithness has the perfect assets for green energy, empty spaces of unworkable land and plenty wind, so who not have the wind farms, the ones I passed last time I came north look impressive, a lot bonnier than the Ball at Dounreay.

jazzyr1
01-Nov-09, 20:26
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200708/ldselect/ldeconaf/195/8061708.htm

very good point,and id rather look at 1 ball instead god knows many turbines

Cattach
01-Nov-09, 20:46
Just read an article on wind-watch and it is amazing how these guys can twist a story around into their propaganda. A load a Austrian tourists wanted to go walking in Scotland and were put off by someone with a gripe about wind farms. Typical, just shows the image that they want to portray of Scotland is one worse than the reality.:roll:

What are they saying about the Highlands and Caithness? I thought there were less tourists this year...

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/11/01/our-hills-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-turbines-so-austrians-go-to-alps-instead/

Obviously pretty badly informed Austrians who should have had enough sense to properly research their holiday arrangements and venue. If they had they would have realised that there is no link between quality of hills to walk and wind farms and more than enough space for wind farms and walkers in Scotland.

Green_not_greed
02-Nov-09, 13:27
The question is - where did the Austrian walkers go instead?

A march through Poland. perhaps.....