PDA

View Full Version : Most Famous Scott

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 00:29
I just caught the back end of an advert on the TV asking who was the most famous Scott of all time, (a newspaper competition I think).

I have always had a great admiration for Thomas Telford for the many engineering achievements that he made during his lifetime and when you look at the list he must have lived 200 years.:eek:

Who would get your vote as the greatest Scott of all time?

joxville
01-Nov-09, 00:34
I'll forgive your error Kevin since you're Welsh.

When talking of us in the singular then use the term 'Scot'-one 'T', not two. Taking the question as read I could suggest Robert Falcon Scott, but I know that's not what you meant. :)

Invisible
01-Nov-09, 00:40
Most famous Scot - Sean Connery although he may not deserve this title - Unicorn spot on with WW

Greatest Scot - Alexander Graham Bell

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 00:42
I'll forgive your error Kevin since you're Welsh.

When talking of us in the singular then use the term 'Scot'-one 'T', not two. Taking the question as read I could suggest Robert Falcon Scott, but I know that's not what you meant. :)

LOL,:lol: Cheers jox, I did give it some thought before I pressed "post" and could not make up my mind as to what was correct.

It seems everyone wants to have a shot at me just now so I was bound to get it one way or another. Yes I did mean Scot.;)

unicorn
01-Nov-09, 00:48
William Wallace everyone knows his name, cheers braveheart :lol:

Stavro
01-Nov-09, 01:31
Crossed my mind to promote myself, but decided not to be included this time round! :lol:

riggerboy
01-Nov-09, 09:06
the greatest scot of all time must be

patty cook kept ma feet warm for years with the baseball boots at 40p a shot

Sandra_B
01-Nov-09, 09:40
I was surprised to see J K Rowling on there as I thought she was English and just lives in Edinburgh?

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 11:33
I have found the link and it is the Greatest Scot, but was surprised that Telford did not even get a mention.:~(

Nominate your choice for the Greatest Scot - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2009/09/01/nominate-your-choice-for-the-greatest-scot-86908-21639406/)

There are some on the list that I have never even heard of let alone vote for.:eek:

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 11:37
I was surprised to see J K Rowling on there as I thought she was English and just lives in Edinburgh?

I am not sure of her parents distant background, but as a young girl she was brought up in Tutshill near Chepstow.

PantsMAN
01-Nov-09, 12:34
SNIP

I think we are all great - we just have different sized chips on oor shooders? [lol]

Rheghead
01-Nov-09, 16:25
If Tony blair gets to be President of Europe then I'd have to nominate him. He's pretty famous or infamous already depending on your viewpoint.:lol:

canuck
01-Nov-09, 17:05
I'd have to go with John A Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister.

And another famous Glaswegian Canadian who ranks right up there - Tommy Douglas. Yes, you might know him as Keifer Sutherland's grandfather.

Cattach
01-Nov-09, 18:17
I just caught the back end of an advert on the TV asking who was the most famous Scott of all time, (a newspaper competition I think).

I have always had a great admiration for Thomas Telford for the many engineering achievements that he made during his lifetime and when you look at the list he must have lived 200 years.:eek:

For me there can only be one name - Robert the Bruce who gave us independence though we could not hold on later due to the greed of our Scottish nobles who sold us out in 1707.

Aussiewicker
01-Nov-09, 19:15
Ann Gloag? A woman who owns a bus... up there with Mary, Queen of Scots, Andrew Carnegie, Sir Walter Scot, William Wallace & Robert the Bruce... They're having a laugh... lol

Aaldtimer
01-Nov-09, 19:56
Ann Gloag? A woman who owns a bus... up there with Mary, Queen of Scots, Andrew Carnegie, Sir Walter Scot, William Wallace & Robert the Bruce... They're having a laugh... lol

I think you'll find she is much more than a woman who owns a bus.
She's a woman who gives up an awful lot of her time and money to charities. Hands-on time as well, as a qualified nurse(IIRC).
Not too keen on gher fortress mindset mind you!:confused

Vistravi
01-Nov-09, 20:21
Don't know why william wallace is a famous scot :confused He was a theif who got lucky that during the battle of stirling the men he was leading attacked the english troops on a bridge which they could not get off quick enough due to being boxed in. Robert the bruce made himself king and then killed all the nobles in charge of the lands of scotland to make himselg more than king in title. ;)

Out of the two of them Robert the bruce is due the title.

I couldn't actually say who in the list deserves the title. :eek:

teddybear1873
01-Nov-09, 20:27
Here's my list in order

1-William Wallace

2-Robert The Bruce

3-Rabbie Burns

4-Alexander Graham Bell

5-John Logie Baird

6-Alexander Fleming

7-Andrew Carnegie

8-Walter Scott

9-James Watt

10-Mary Queen Of Scots

teddybear1873
01-Nov-09, 20:32
I messed up on that list. Oor Wullie should have been number 1.

golach
01-Nov-09, 20:34
1-William Wallace ------ well maybe

2-Robert The Bruce -------was of Scoto-Norman descent ( is that better)

3-Rabbie Burns

4-Alexander Graham Bell-------he plagerised another inventors idea

5-John Logie Baird------ did his invention ever really work

6-Alexander Fleming

7-Andrew Carnegie-------made his money strike breaking the steel workers in the US

8-Walter Scott------maybe, but he was a Bankrupt

9-James Watt

10-Mary Queen Of Scots

cuts the list down a wee bit

Cattach
01-Nov-09, 20:40
1-William Wallace ------ well maybe

2-Robert The Bruce -------was not a Scot, but a Norman

3-Rabbie Burns

4-Alexander Graham Bell-------he plagerised another inventors idea

5-John Logie Baird------ did his invention ever really work

6-Alexander Fleming

7-Andrew Carnegie-------made his money strike breaking the steel workers in the US

8-Walter Scott------maybe, but he was a Bankrupt

9-James Watt

10-Mary Queen Of Scots -------- she was born in France

cuts the list down a wee bit

Most of this is either nonsense or just wrong. Especially suggestions such as Robert the Bruce being Norman. His ancestors were Normans 200 years before but then mine were also Normans hundreds of years ago but my family has been born and bred in Scotland for generations - am I a Scot or Norman. If we take your agument to its logical conclusion none of us are Scots, Brits, Europeans but Africans from the cradle of civilisation in central Africa.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Nov-09, 21:02
Archie Gemmill.Legend.:D

Each
01-Nov-09, 21:16
The most famous scot is diferent from the most influential / Greatest Scot.

So heres to Johnny Walker, while I think....

How about Obe wan kanobe.

embow
01-Nov-09, 21:48
10-Mary Queen Of Scots -------- she was born in France
She certainly was not! Born in Linlithgow Palace on 8th December 1542. She went to France in 1548. Came back in 1561.

jock leith
01-Nov-09, 21:52
Must be Ronald McDonald you silly" Burger";)

Cattach
01-Nov-09, 22:41
She certainly was not! Born in Linlithgow Palace on 8th December 1542. She went to France in 1548. Came back in 1561.

Glad you also spotted Golach's errors too. A number of Golach's staements were in error but then a Golach never was a match for a Cattach!

sweetpea
01-Nov-09, 22:59
Billy Connelly did a lot for social graces with ' Canny shove yer Granny off a bus'

John MacKay
01-Nov-09, 23:41
There's a distinction between greatest and most famous Scot.

Unsurprisingly I think Keir Hardie is the greatest Scot. With David Hume a close second.

golach
02-Nov-09, 00:47

Oh dear I stand corrected, but a contender for the most famous Scot I think not.

Anne x
02-Nov-09, 01:00
Flora Macdonald
Rab c Nesbitt
The Proclaimers
Ali tartan Army Mannie who thought he had the world cup in his hands pmsl

Thomas Telford
and the mannie who invented the television

rich
02-Nov-09, 01:35
Fleming - without him we would be running around with syphilitic lesions in our brains and as a result the Org would make even less sense than it currently does.
My runner up is James Boswell whose medical history - recorded in his diary - was, well let us just say, unfortunate ......

Metalattakk
02-Nov-09, 02:15
Most Famous Scot: Sir Alex Ferguson.

Hundreds of millions of Asians and South Americans have heard of him. Hardly any of them could tell you who Wiliam Wallace was.

Greatest Scot: Groundskeeper Willie.

He'd also come pretty high up in the Most Famous list too. ;)

teddybear1873
02-Nov-09, 05:38
Most Famous Scot: Sir Alex Ferguson.

Hundreds of millions of Asians and South Americans have heard of him. Hardly any of them could tell you who Wiliam Wallace was.

Greatest Scot: Groundskeeper Willie.

He'd also come pretty high up in the Most Famous list too. ;)

If were going by most famous Scot by who the world population knows, then Nessie wins by a mile.

bky
02-Nov-09, 22:21
http://www.rampantscotland.com/famous/famous.htm

George Brims
03-Nov-09, 00:17
I am not sure of her parents distant background, but as a young girl she was brought up in Tutshill near Chepstow.
I've sat next to her in a coffee shop in Malibu (chance encounter of the year!) and she sure sounds English.

transit
03-Nov-09, 00:19
and ive fitted carpets for her in kinfauns castle whilst i worked for mckenzies furniture village me and my work partner also got a ten pound tip from brian souter

scotsannie
03-Nov-09, 13:13
:lol:Alexander Bain, 1. Because he was my 4 x Gt Uncle and 2 Because of his many inventions. No need to elaborate on those as most people are aware of his inventions.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Nov-09, 20:58
The most Influential Scot for me is none on the list.Their said to be influential because they invented something,or had a wee bit of fame for losing their lives.My most influential Scot is Eric Lidell,Olympic champion who stood up for his personal rights not to run on a Sunday.Who took the gold medal for the 400m,then instead of continuing his athletics,returned to his missionary work for his church.Died in China,not a Sir or Queen,just a man.Still remembered for me though.

Archie Gemmill's goal against Holland though,still does it after aw these years.:lol::lol:

cullpacket
04-Nov-09, 02:08
must be Dowpy Dan

Dog-eared
04-Nov-09, 12:47
Chordie Slevverie ??

upolian
04-Nov-09, 13:21
the ghost at portgower?

teddybear1873
05-Nov-09, 18:02
Just a thought here that came to mind. I think people should consider Deigo McMaradonna for being a famous Scot after that 'Hand Of God' in the 1986 World Cup.

Amy-Winehouse
05-Nov-09, 21:23
William Wallace everyone knows his name, cheers braveheart :lol:

I was told by a Historian that William Wallace wasnt even Scottish!!! He was Welsh :eek: I was rather stunned to hear that but there you go.

Famous Scot for me is Graham Alexander Bell

Or Kenny Dogleish