PDA

View Full Version : Risk of Death is Alluring on Duke of Ed Scheme?

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 12:02
Prince Edward has suggested that the risk of death is alluring and that is the appeal for some participants of the Duke of Edinburgh award. How do parents and children think about his comments? Has he broached the subject of wrapping our kids in a bubble far too much? Or should we keep our kids from harms way at all cost?

As parents we can only dance the fine line between acceptable risk to our kids and what's not, surely the Duke of Ed scheme that is promoted in schools should be safe?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8333204.stm

northener
30-Oct-09, 12:45
I understand fully what he's trying to get across, young people will always be attracted to things that have an implied 'risk'.

The Dof Ed scheme does suffer a bit of a 'jolly camper' and 'helping old ladies across the road' image - which isn't going to get a massive wave of excitement sweeping through todays Yoof.
However, what the tragic circumstances surrounding a couple of individuals has shown (via the Media) is that the awards are a bit more challenging and 'exciting' than the vast majority of young folk realise.

NickInTheNorth
30-Oct-09, 13:16
When you read his quoted words I think it comes across well

"Suddenly the award, which was new...(its) reputation among young people was, 'Wow, this is serious. You could die doing this'.

"And the sense of adventure, the sense of excitement, that it gave you that sort of risk element - that's going back many years - but young people are like that, still that sense of adventure, the sense that it (death) is possible.

"Obviously we don't want that to happen. Certainly that's not the intention: we give them the skills to go out there and do it safely and constructively. It was just that psychology, about what makes young people tick," he said.

There is a limit to how safe any life should be, a bit of excitement is important. Certainly my life has been richer for its daring moments, even it's life risking ones.

That I am alive and typing out this message shows that taking risks, even potentially fatal risks does not have to lead to death (at least not in the immediate future).

Tubthumper
30-Oct-09, 13:19
There's a risk of death associated with just about everything, from crossing the road to getting sneezed on by someone with swine flu. Supervisors and assessors of expeditions have to assess risks and make sure hazards are identified and controlled, the kids are fully prepared and there are contingency plans to recover them if it all goes Pete Tong. Danger is a powerful drug; it's good to make kids feel an adrenaline rush while making sure they don't get hurt. How many parents can say they assess the risks to their children and put controls and recovery plans in place?
Also, on DofE Expeditions I believe it can be amazing to see quiet bairns come out of themselves and lead the team, while some confident noisy pushy types end up crying for their mummies...