PDA

View Full Version : tesco at the mart in thuso

Mr P Cannop
30-Oct-09, 00:40
I heard today that tesco are not going to bulid there this is not right they should not be able to do this

tonkatojo
30-Oct-09, 10:31
I heard today that tesco are not going to bulid there this is not right they should not be able to do this

Welcome to the wonderful world of tesco. ;)

Bazeye
30-Oct-09, 14:56

They should not be able to not build there....eh? :confused

Scunner
30-Oct-09, 15:08
A double negative, is that a positive?

riggerboy
30-Oct-09, 15:40
it was said all along that tesco would not build another superstore in caithness, the land has been bought for no other reason than to keep asda out of thurso,

on a brighter note i hear asda are building a new store somewhere in the south of england ??

Olin
30-Oct-09, 15:45
Whats wrong with tesco?

brandy
30-Oct-09, 15:49
its not asda?

Olin
30-Oct-09, 15:52
Latest arguement:

"Tesco shouldn't be allowed to build another place in Thurso because it's not Asda"

I think tescos is better than asda anyways....

golach
30-Oct-09, 16:03

Have you got a Asda Walmart up there? Well I have two near me and they knock spots off Tescos all the time, I also have a Morrisons, which compares to Asda, and a Sainsburys which still beats Tesco.

riggerboy
30-Oct-09, 16:05
Latest arguement:

"Tesco shouldn't be allowed to build another place in Thurso because it's not Asda"

be very careful with that tone or the lynch mob will be along for you before you know it,

the very royal burgh of thurso are very anti tesco,
o wait thurso isnt a royal burgh o well be careful anyway

Olin
30-Oct-09, 16:07
I don't see what's wrong with tesco?

One of my tutors once said she was against them because they are going for world domination.... In that they will soon sell everything and buy out every company so that THEY can set the price.... I lol'd hahahah!

Frith
30-Oct-09, 16:08
It really does anger me that a supermarket chain (whoever they are) can buy land to stop another from building there.

At present the Mart site is an eyesore, which is just a magnet for kids and vandals. It won't be long until some kid gets injured on the site, especially as there's nothing better to do, now the cinema has closed down. [evil]

Olin
30-Oct-09, 16:11
I am twenty. I'm not a kid. Haha.

Me and my mate used the mart area for riding the bmx's about the place and it was allright...

To look at it though it is absolutely minging.

I also think the closing of liquid is terrible! I wonder what they'll build next?

NickInTheNorth
30-Oct-09, 16:14
I don't see what's wrong with tesco?

One of my tutors once said she was against them because they are going for world domination.... In that they will soon sell everything and buy out every company so that THEY can set the price.... I lol'd hahahah!

There is nothing wrong with Tesco per se, it is simply that here in Caithness they are a monoply position as far as supermarkets are concerned.

Some competition from another decent sized supermarket would in all likelihood have resulted in a better deal for the consumer.

Mr P Cannop
30-Oct-09, 16:33
tesco should not be alould to do thsi

Olin
30-Oct-09, 16:35
Why?

(This line is being written to lengthen the message so it is long enough to post)

M R
30-Oct-09, 16:40
If they build a large tesco's at the mart, will they be leaving the original location ? opening up for another take over of that store ?

Olin
30-Oct-09, 16:42
A tesco employee told me that they would be using the "old" tesco as a site to store goods so they don't have to rely on deliveries as often.

Wether that is true or not I dont know...

brandy
30-Oct-09, 16:43
because it is unethical and causing a monopoly that they can then use to lead us around by the small bits. it is well known that any town that tesco gets a hold of, has a very hard time getting an asda as well. personally, if they have bought the old mart, then in all fairness they should be made to do something with it.. even if its just turning into a park.

bish667
30-Oct-09, 16:44
It really does anger me that a supermarket chain (whoever they are) can buy land to stop another from building there.

Isnt it a ploy from the council, selling the land to Tesco knowing that they wont build, to stop Asda from coming up here.
Thats what I always thought.

riggerboy
30-Oct-09, 16:46

why should they not be aloud, they paid good money for the mart, if they want to level it and turn it a grassy park then it would be up to them,

do you forget there is a ression at the minute ???

Olin
30-Oct-09, 16:47
Whatever Tescos have bought it for wether it be to stop asda or to expand their store it will be better than the current state of affairs that is the mart...

Horrible to look at!

riggerboy
30-Oct-09, 16:58
Whatever Tescos have bought it for wether it be to stop asda or to expand their store it will be better than the current state of affairs that is the mart...

Horrible to look at!

no i dont need to look at it i live in a quaint fishing village called pultney

Mr P Cannop
30-Oct-09, 18:30
If they build a large tesco's at the mart, will they be leaving the original location ? opening up for another take over of that store ?

thats the thing they are not going to build

Mr P Cannop
30-Oct-09, 18:32

Horrible to look at!

there not going to be any thing there

M R
30-Oct-09, 19:04
thats the thing they are not going to build

You know this for definate ?

Maybe planning to take there deliverys up via rail ?

Frith
30-Oct-09, 20:22
I am twenty. I'm not a kid. Haha.

Me and my mate used the mart area for riding the bmx's about the place and it was allright...

To look at it though it is absolutely minging.

I also think the closing of liquid is terrible! I wonder what they'll build next?

Didn't mean to critizie people like your self, but there are several buildings, one of which I belive has already been set on fire since the Mart closed. I've also gone down the street during school lunch hour to see kids throwing stones at the main buildings windows.

Vistravi
30-Oct-09, 21:13
Whats wrong with tesco?

its not asda?

At the end of the day they are both just supermarkets.

There is supposed to be an asda being build in inverness.

I'm not someone who prefers one over the other. Whichever is closest and cheapest is the one i go to. ;)

Mr P Cannop
30-Oct-09, 21:32
At the end of the day they are both just supermarkets.

There is supposed to be an asda being build in inverness.

I'm not someone who prefers one over the other. Whichever is closest and cheapest is the one i go to. ;)

and tain......

tartanyorkie
30-Oct-09, 21:46

However loud they are, just been told it will be open in November, lol

tartanyorkie
30-Oct-09, 21:51
Next year, sorry, and that is from an employee however reliable that is

davie
30-Oct-09, 23:22
Just heard that Tesco have been bought over by the Ford Motor Co and all the stores will be used to store cars that can not be sold due to the recession.
That came from Ford's European Vice President in charge of storing cars and he should know.
Apparently as Ford are not really into the grocery trade thay are selling the Mart site to the Highland Council who going to open an allweather ski slope.

Mr P Cannop
30-Oct-09, 23:30
However loud they are, just been told it will be open in November, lol

theres no way it will be open by then cause november is this sunday

Vistravi
31-Oct-09, 00:04
theres no way it will be open by then cause november is this sunday

Read tartanyorkie's second post again. she/he said it would be next year not this year. ;)

Mr P Cannop
31-Oct-09, 00:48
Next year, sorry, and that is from an employee however reliable that is

oh ok sorry

Kevin Milkins
31-Oct-09, 01:10
I have to say Mr Cannop that some of the information that we receive on the org via your good self is getting a bit less than reliable.

I have spent the last three nights stood out in the pouring rain waiting to see the Northern lights and still a no show.:confused;)

Anne x
31-Oct-09, 01:26
Have you got a Asda Walmart up there? Well I have two near me and they knock spots off Tescos all the time, I also have a Morrisons, which compares to Asda, and a Sainsburys which still beats Tesco.

Golach you know perfectly well there are no Asda/Walmart up North I have a huge one built on 2 floors close to me its foosum and awful and tacky , A Sainsburys close by which for certain things okay
Morrisons again ok but Tesco is fine within striking distance get what I want and home
Which I am quite sure the good people of the county without a great deal of choice want
when you do not have much choice you shop where suits and benefits you even it means a run from Thurso to Wick store at the weekends a trip out even

Mr P Cannop
31-Oct-09, 11:42
I have to say Mr Cannop that some of the information that we receive on the org via your good self is getting a bit less than reliable.

I have spent the last three nights stood out in the pouring rain waiting to see the Northern lights and still a no show.:confused;)

ok am sorry

northener
31-Oct-09, 14:28
What about a supermarket that caters for people like me who have no wish to mingle with the plebs?

Somwhere where I can purchase my weekly victuals and comestables without having to put up with some lycra-wrapped lardarse who is constantly bellowing at her uncontrolled, wailing, filthy offspring blocking the aisles?
Somewhere where wittering village idiots spouting banal drivel do not stand three abreast in the aisles oblivious to their social superiors like me who wish to pass?

A Waitrose would be good, they have rottwielers and guards with batons on the doors, y'know.

ooops...Peace and Love.....Peace and Love....

Vistravi
31-Oct-09, 14:44
What about a supermarket that caters for people like me who have no wish to mingle with the plebs?

There is though.....online shopping and tell them to leave it at the door. Then once they were gone you open your door and take in your shooping. No mingling needed! :Razz:lol:

Humerous Vegetable
31-Oct-09, 15:10
ok am sorry

Paul, don't let these johnie-come-latelys bully you. You must be one of the longest-serving orgers still on this site. It's the single most irritating thing about this forum.[disgust]

riggerboy
31-Oct-09, 15:52
Paul, don't let these johnie-come-latelys bully you. You must be one of the longest-serving orgers still on this site. It's the single most irritating thing about this forum.[disgust]

here here
Mr p you keep posting with what you believe in sod the rest of them, the org is a plce to say what you think as long as it doesnt offend the easily offended, you are not a nasty poster so sod them all keep up the good work,

" a short outburst from the riggerboy "

Mr P Cannop
31-Oct-09, 16:00
its good to see i have friends here on the org

Gronnuck
31-Oct-09, 16:11
Whichever is closest and cheapest is the one i go to. ;)

:eek: If you live in Caithness you're not going to be overwhelmed with choice are you!
Some healthy competition would benefit us all. Tesco could do with some real competition, a retailer with a similar 'presence' that can match their range of items/goods/services. ;)

davie
31-Oct-09, 16:15
its good to see i have friends here on the org

You have loads of friends here Paul and sometimes even friends have a wee go at you. Keep your chin up and keep posting,.

davie
31-Oct-09, 16:20

Somwhere where I can purchase my weekly victuals and comestables without having to put up with some lycra-wrapped lardarse who is constantly bellowing at her uncontrolled, wailing, filthy offspring blocking the aisles?
Somewhere where wittering village idiots spouting banal drivel do not stand three abreast in the aisles oblivious to their social superiors like me who wish to pass?

A Waitrose would be good, they have rottwielers and guards with batons on the doors, y'know.

ooops...Peace and Love.....Peace and Love....

Hm - just for a few minutes there the peace and love claptrap went right oott the windae.
btw you you calling a lardarse - dye want to step ootside ??

ShelleyCowie
31-Oct-09, 17:06
To be honest, do we care?

Tesco already has a store in Thurso so there is no rush to build at the old mart. Maybe a bigger store might be beneficial because then they can stock more food products.

Im not fussed really. There are several other stores in caithness people can visit.

northener
31-Oct-09, 18:41
There is though.....online shopping and tell them to leave it at the door. Then once they were gone you open your door and take in your shooping. No mingling needed!

Ah nivver thocht o' that.:Razz

Hm - just for a few minutes there the peace and love claptrap went right oott the windae.
btw you you calling a lardarse - dye want to step ootside ??

Oops, sorry Davie, didn't realise you fitted the description......;)

I'll look out for a bloke in lycra pushing a pram and shouting next time I'm passing through Kinbrace*.

* but ahm no slowin doon.

Kevin Milkins
31-Oct-09, 19:18
ok am sorry

I am sure you I know was pulling your leg Paul (hence the wink;)) and you certainly do not have to apologise to me.

I have re-read my post thinking that maybe what I had posted may have been read differently to what the intention of the post was, IE if I have been stood in the rain then it's obviously cloudy and no hope of seeing the Northern lights.:confused

I am sorry, but I still fail to see how what I had written could have been seen as an attempt to bully anyone and although I apologise to Paul unreservedly if he felt my post was anything other than light hearted banter, I do take exception to the tone of your post and the red square that came with it.

Moira
31-Oct-09, 23:53

Humerous Vegetable, what do you mean by a "johnie-come-lately" and where exactly does "bullying" come into this?