PDA

View Full Version : Webcam

doyle
13-Apr-06, 20:45
I just bought a webcam yesterday so I can see my grand-daughter who lives 700 miles away. I used it just now for the first time. Got picture okay but there seems to be a lot of noise coming through the speakers - can anyone tell me why? I could hardly make her out for the noise.

changilass
13-Apr-06, 23:48
Was it one of the ones from Lidle, cos that make seems to have that problem

jimbews
14-Apr-06, 13:25
I just bought a webcam yesterday so I can see my grand-daughter who lives 700 miles away. I used it just now for the first time. Got picture okay but there seems to be a lot of noise coming through the speakers - can anyone tell me why? I could hardly make her out for the noise.
I would only expect good quality if you both have broadband.

Assuming you both use PCs it might be worth using Skype. Version 2 of their software for the PC is capable of using a webcam so that you can have both sound and vision. The Mac version of the software can not handle webcams.
Skype has a test facility so each end can test (sound) against what is effectively an answering machine. Useful to check which end has the problem - which sounds more like it is coming from your grand-daughter's end.
Only problem we have with Skype is with one of the family who persists in using speakers and the microphone. It's really off-putting hearing your own voice echoing back about 1 second later. The ideal is to use headphones. Even better are these headphones with an attached mike.

We also use SkypeOut to phone family who only have a mobile phone in the Irish Republic. Less than a third of the cost of using BT, and they say the quality is even better.

Good Luck

jimbews

changilass
14-Apr-06, 13:36
Jimbews - I think it is a problem with the webcam, I got 'my man that does' to have a look at it seems to be a fault. If he can't get it to work, then it just don't work.

doyle
16-Apr-06, 22:02
We've worked out that its feedback with using microphone and speakers. I have headphones so i'll try them next time. The webcam's not from Lidls, we bought it in Alacam. Thanks changilass and jimbews.