PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks!!!!!!!!

golach
29-Oct-09, 20:40
Just heard the first of this year, and its pouring rain here, WHY!!!!! [disgust] Ban the things!!!!!!!

joxville
29-Oct-09, 20:42
Sorry Gol, I disagree. I like fireworks, as long as they are handled responsibly.

changilass
29-Oct-09, 21:38
I don't like fireworks, they scare me.

Now come on Golach, that aint strictly true is it.:confused

I vaguely remember being kept awake at nights when in Edinburgh during the Festival - the reason, bliddy fireworks.:lol:

redeyedtreefrog
29-Oct-09, 21:53
Fireworks are good, so long as they never touch the hands of stupid braindead chavs.

shazzap
29-Oct-09, 22:02
Just heard some myself. I think they should only be allowed at public displays.

golach
29-Oct-09, 22:18
I don't like fireworks, they scare me.

Now come on Golach, that aint strictly true is it.

I vaguely remember being kept awake at nights when in Edinburgh during the Festival - the reason, bliddy fireworks.

You are telling Porkies, your were always on your 3rd or 4th Tiger when the Fireworks went off, and they were part of the Tattoo, which you loved anyway. Just stating the facts Maam[lol]

Phill
29-Oct-09, 22:22
I think a total ban is going too far, but I do think that what can be bought in the shops should be reigned in.
It should be kept to simple visual fireworks, not these things you can get that have 100 shots of air bombs.
What's the point?

For a few years we lived in a quaint little village called Salford, bonfire/firework night started about August and went on through 'till Valentines Day.

And it was kids/scroats setting these things off in alley ways, side streets, parks, launching rockets from motorway bridges at vehicles and at planes landing at an airport, blowing up phone boxes and firing them at people.

The kind of thing that is publicly available now is not being handled responsibly and often by adults too.

A ban is too much but things need to change me thinks.

Askmeaboutavon
29-Oct-09, 23:37
I too think fireworks are best seen as part of an organised display! Plus i'm probably a little too thrifty to see my money go up in smoke......literally!

Whitewater
29-Oct-09, 23:52
I think fireworks are great fun when properly controled. They are very dangerous when not handled properly. I have been involved with a few fireworks displays over the years, and on one occasion we were very lucky. We were firing a lot of rockets, while this was happening we began to set up some mortars, bad mistake, one of the rockets turned back on itself and landed in the middle of the mortars on the ground, we immediately lay face down, luckily only 3 were ignited with no damage to ourselves or to the public. But we learned a very valuable safety lesson regarding the handling of fireworks. They are magical when properly controlled but can be deadly if not. However, having said that, I think they are a complete waste of money.

Kevin Milkins
29-Oct-09, 23:54
I too think fireworks are best seen as part of an organised display! Plus i'm probably a little too thrifty to see my money go up in smoke......literally!

Does Avon sell fireworks as well now?:eek:

I personally enjoy a good bang as long as all the nessasary precautions have been taken, particularly if it is an event organised by adults .:roll:

welcome to the org Askmeaboutavon and don't expect anything very sensible from me. ;)

M R
29-Oct-09, 23:57
How old you goto be to buy them these days ?

Will never forget the fun we used to have setting off claytop bangers as a kid :), tryin to get the bams lit was half the battle.

Phill
30-Oct-09, 00:20
We were firing a lot of rockets, while this was happening we began to set up some mortars, bad mistake, one of the rockets turned back on itself and landed in the middle of the mortars on the ground, we immediately lay face down, luckily only 3 were ignited with no damage to ourselves or to the public.

This doesn't seem to add up in my eyes.
Pyrotechnic displays are angled and calculated, including for wind, for the best (read safest) trajectory.
Everything is set up prior to the start and is remotely fired via electrical control cables, generally a good distance from the launch area.

This comes back to "being in safe hands".
Apart from small packs of mixed fireworks it should be properly organised, licensed displays over a few days/week around Nov 5th.

ShelleyCowie
30-Oct-09, 00:36
I hate fireworks! Like really hate them. Used to like them as a kid but just hate the noise now.

My cats get petrified when they hear them too!

Fireworks are fine in a controlled display. But i think selling them in shops should not be allowed. Not to say everyone will be the same with them but there are irresponsible people out there who mistreat them.

Sometimes its not worth the risk of it. Too many horror stories about them and they are dangerous although can be pretty to most

Margaret M.
30-Oct-09, 03:31
I hate fireworks! Like really hate them. Used to like them as a kid but just hate the noise now.

I have grown to detest them too -- my dogs tremble the entire time they are going off. It's hard to enjoy something that makes many animals so miserable.

ciderally
30-Oct-09, 09:36
all these poor animals.....including mine...they will be going nuts...........

achingale
30-Oct-09, 11:02
I like to watch fireworks but I do not think they should be sold to the ordinary man in the street. There should be public displays and that is it. Small chidren are terrified by the bangs, as are pets, and I do not think it is fair that they have to suffer. An organised bonfire and display somewhere in your town or village is the way to go.

Vistravi
30-Oct-09, 21:27

Fireworks are fine in a controlled display. But i think selling them in shops should not be allowed. Not to say everyone will be the same with them but there are irresponsible people out there who mistreat them.

Sometimes its not worth the risk of it. Too many horror stories about them and they are dangerous although can be pretty to most

Caramel is ok with fireworks. She gets a bit alarmed and wants to know what is going on but other than that she is fine thankfully.

I've always hated fireworks. They can do so much damage in the wrong hands. We've all seen the stories but i do think the worst ones was the woman who said a firework landed in her babies buggy and left her daughter severely burnt and the one about the lad who goes by thinking out loud about how much he wanted to impress the girls when he was younger to be noticed and now due to losing the sight in an eye in a firework accident he gets noticed all the time. Both stories show a different side to what happens in the wrong and foolish hands.

I think they should only be for public displays with real responsible people handling them and making sure they go off right and people are a safe distance away from them.

kmahon2001
30-Oct-09, 22:44
Fireworks are explosive devices that can, and do, injure and even kill. Why on earth do we allow the sale of explosive devices to ordinary members of the public? It's completely insane.

I love fireworks and I wouldn't like to see them banned and I don't want to stop others from enjoying them either. But I would definitely ban them from sale to the general public. They should be available for licenced displays only.

How many more times do we have to see stories of horrific accidents where someone has been badly injured by a firework exploding in their face or of yobs strapping a firework to a cat's tail and lighting it, before we do something about this?

BAN THE SALE OF FIREWORKS TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC!

This would also stop the continual letting off of fireworks from about the end of September right through till the end of January, which is what happens where I used to live. My dogs were nervous wrecks throughout the autumn/winter down there. [disgust]

joxville
30-Oct-09, 23:43
I like to watch fireworks but I do not think they should be sold to the ordinary man in the street. There should be public displays and that is it. Small chidren are terrified by the bangs, as are pets, and I do not think it is fair that they have to suffer. An organised bonfire and display somewhere in your town or village is the way to go.

An organised display won't stop kids from being frightened by the bangs. :roll:

joxville
30-Oct-09, 23:48
Fireworks are explosive devices that can, and do, injure and even kill. Why on earth do we allow the sale of explosive devices to ordinary members of the public? It's completely insane.

I love fireworks and I wouldn't like to see them banned and I don't want to stop others from enjoying them either. But I would definitely ban them from sale to the general public. They should be available for licenced displays only.

How many more times do we have to see stories of horrific accidents where someone has been badly injured by a firework exploding in their face or of yobs strapping a firework to a cat's tail and lighting it, before we do something about this?

This would also stop the continual letting off of fireworks from about the end of September right through till the end of January, which is what happens where I used to live. My dogs were nervous wrecks throughout the autumn/winter down there. [disgust]

Anything in the wrong hands can kill-cars, scissors, guns, chainsaws, a hammer, the list is endless so do we ban them? Many of us get enjoyment from a legal pursuit, yet, as usual, a few idiots spoil it for the majority. :(

Vistravi
31-Oct-09, 00:03
An organised display won't stop kids from being frightened by the bangs. :roll:

Aye it won't but it does stop people buying them all the time in the autumn through winter and setting them off all the time making animals that are pettrified of them life a scared few couple of months. Kids mostly like fireworks, they like the colours. I only know a few that are scared. Saying that one of my brothers was pettrified of a bagpipe band at every gala ;)

kmahon2001
31-Oct-09, 12:03
.......Saying that one of my brothers was pettrified of a bagpipe band at every gala ;)

Me too! It's all those knobbly knees on display that gets me. :eek:

M R
31-Oct-09, 13:36

How many more people will get killed on the road, run over by a car, killed in a car crash, lets ban cars sales to the public, leave it to professional drivers, Oh they still crash dont they, still get injured and still die, there are risks to everything in life, more so the things that are fun and good to watch, get over it. Cant wrap everthing and everyone up in a bubble.

whaligoechiel
31-Oct-09, 13:51
well said kmahon

but I would ban pipers especially if they have knobbly hairy knees
but ii would leave the piper lassies alone much prettier knees but I would take the drones out of their pipes to much noise and they might offend someone

cesare
31-Oct-09, 14:20
Let the kids have there fun as long as they aint actin stupid and are being careful....... i must also add that caithness.org needs to be renamed caithness.grump ......this is 09 time we acted like it?

kmahon2001
31-Oct-09, 19:29
How many more people will get killed on the road, run over by a car, killed in a car crash, lets ban cars sales to the public, leave it to professional drivers, Oh they still crash dont they, still get injured and still die, there are risks to everything in life, more so the things that are fun and good to watch, get over it. Cant wrap everthing and everyone up in a bubble.

Anything in the wrong hands can kill-cars, scissors, guns, chainsaws, a hammer, the list is endless so do we ban them? Many of us get enjoyment from a legal pursuit, yet, as usual, a few idiots spoil it for the majority. :(

Why do people on here keep comparing letting off fireworks with driving cars? For a start you have to be licenced to drive a car. Which means you are first trained how to drive safely and then you have to pass a test before being let loose on the roads (whether or not that is enough to stop these insane accidents is another argument for another posting).

You also have to be licenced to own (and fire) a gun and I think you even have to be licenced to use a chainsaw (although I may be wrong about that one).

At the moment anyone over a certain age can buy and let off fireworks with no previous training etc.

All I'm saying is the same should apply to letting off fireworks - Licenced people only. :roll:

joxville
31-Oct-09, 20:06
The trouble with this country is too many killjoys. [disgust]

M R
31-Oct-09, 23:05
Why do people on here keep comparing letting off fireworks with driving cars? For a start you have to be licenced to drive a car. Which means you are first trained how to drive safely and then you have to pass a test before being let loose on the roads (whether or not that is enough to stop these insane accidents is another argument for another posting).

You also have to be licenced to own (and fire) a gun and I think you even have to be licenced to use a chainsaw (although I may be wrong about that one).

At the moment anyone over a certain age can buy and let off fireworks with no previous training etc.

All I'm saying is the same should apply to letting off fireworks - Licenced people only. :roll:

Ok, so please tell me, even thou have to pass a test to drive a lethal weapon. (a car) would you happily say that everyone on the road today is worthy of that test ???? well i say no..... no matter where you live....

That was one of many comparisons. Yes there are lots of them. just saying in my opinion that you live and learn from yours or others mistakes, some costly. but that shoudn't stop you being able to try them should you wish, or watch others doing them.......fireworks are great to watch and use, all be it in sensible hands. Not to be banned for public use just because of a few accidents given the amount used in that period.

Enjoy them. Thats what there there for.

kmahon2001
01-Nov-09, 15:06
Ok, so please tell me, even thou have to pass a test to drive a lethal weapon. (a car) would you happily say that everyone on the road today is worthy of that test ???? well i say no..... no matter where you live....

That was one of many comparisons. Yes there are lots of them. just saying in my opinion that you live and learn from yours or others mistakes, some costly. but that shoudn't stop you being able to try them should you wish, or watch others doing them.......fireworks are great to watch and use, all be it in sensible hands. Not to be banned for public use just because of a few accidents given the amount used in that period.

Enjoy them. Thats what there there for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I already say that the debate over whether or not the current driving training and testing procedure is adequate or not is another argument for another posting? :roll:

I realise that there are many people who have been licenced to drive who really shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car, but as I said, that's another argument altogether.

Would you prefer that we get rid of driving tests and allow anyone over the age of 16 or 18 to drive a car - somehow I doubt it, but that is exactly what happens with fireworks. Anyone can get hold of them without any kind of training on how to handle them safely, or even how to store them properly to prevent kids getting hold of them.

And for the last time, I am not saying ban fireworks (I too like fireworks, and love to watch them) I'm simply suggesting that we limit their availability to those who are licenced to use them. If you want to continue to use them then all you would have to do is obtain a licence.