PDA

View Full Version : Dog hernia

Fran
29-Oct-09, 19:10
Very upset just now, vet said my 9 year old dog has a hernia which will affect his bladder and bowels and will need surgery which doesn't always work.
Any of you have a dog with this problem and did your dog have the op etc.?. I would appreciate any advise/comments. Can't let anything happen to this dog, couldn't manage without him.

Liz
29-Oct-09, 19:33
So sorry that Bobby has a hernia and know how worried you must be.

Afraid I don't have personal experience of this but had a look on the net and there are various kinds of hernia which affect dogs and some are easier to sort than others.

Do you know what type Bobby has?

teenybash
29-Oct-09, 20:10
My thoughts are with you, about your Bobby and his op. He is loved by you and that is all he needs to bring him through...........and us lot lighting candles for him. Bless you and hugs to you and a big one to Bobby from Teeny.

Margaret M.
30-Oct-09, 04:17
Oh Fran, I am vexed to hear that Bobby will need surgery. I don't know of any dogs who have had a hernia so I'm no help there. Keep us posted and you know we will all be pulling for him. He is a beauty and a very special doggie.

Shabbychic
30-Oct-09, 05:41
When my Sheltie was 3 he swallowed a stone, and had to have it removed from his intestines. Then last year when he was 7, he developed quite a large hernia as a result of this previous surgery. I went ahead and had the surgery, and he recovered fine. :)

A couple of months later he was diagnosed with a liver tumour, but that's another story. :~(

BINBOB
30-Oct-09, 10:58
Wishing BOBBY well....and u too,Fran. Never easy to deal with canine illnesses.Hugs for Bobby.:Razz

craigmancie
30-Oct-09, 22:41
Hi,
My dog had somethin similar. he was bout 8, he had a hernia on his rear end where fluid from his bladder used to build up (looks quite scary when u see it!) He went through the surgery and recovered with no probs at the ther end. He never suffered from this again and went onto live till he was 15.
Wishing u & bobby all the best, hope this helps.

Liz
30-Oct-09, 23:22
Really hope that Shabbychic and craigmancie have given you some piece of mind Fran.

Of course you will have all the healing light coming from all your friends at Pets Corner as well.

It truly awful when any of our animal family are ill and we know how special Bobby is. I'm sure his 'dad' will look after him as well.

Fran
01-Nov-09, 05:36
Thankyou for your replies, I feel much better about it now. i just hope he doesnt get any worse.Hope he lives to be 15 too.

Venture
08-Nov-09, 15:53
Hi Fran my dog has the exact same but his is a double hernia. He is having his surgery on Tuesday and to say I'm worried about it, is an understatement. He is a fit and active brindle lurcher with no other health problems but I am concerned at how he will cope with such major surgery at 11. In fact his age is a rough guess as he was a rescue dog so he could be older.

It's a lengthy process, and could take between 3 and 4 hours as in my dog's case they will also do the prostrate and castration at the same time. The vet has recommended that this be done. It won't be easy for him afterwards either because there is the risk of infection because of where the hernia is which is under his tail. It's been a nightmare the past week waiting for it to be done because he is in pain when he spends a penny. I'll be glad when Tuesday comes in one way but not in another. I won't get to visit him as often either as its being done in Thurso. The surgery in Wick haven't had experience in performing a double hernia.

I don't know how I'm going to cope with that sad face looking at me when I leave him there.:cry:

cuddlepop
08-Nov-09, 16:17
Venture try not too worry too much as I'm sure the vets will know what there doing on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed for you too Fran.....there such a worry our pets but I'm sure you'll all agree,worth it.:D

Fran
08-Nov-09, 19:01
Venture, i will be thinking about you on tuesday, what a worry.
It makes it harder because they cant talk to us. Lurchers are such lovely dogs, i had one years ago. i'm sure everything will go fine and he will find relief. My dog hasnt got to the stage of having problems with peeing etc, but i have to check all the time, as then he must get it done.I can imagine the terrible emotions you are going through just now, do let us know how he gets on. Will you be able to see him on tuesday? Do you need a lift or do you have a car.? thinking of you.

BINBOB
08-Nov-09, 19:04
Hi Fran my dog has the exact same but his is a double hernia. He is having his surgery on Tuesday and to say I'm worried about it, is an understatement. He is a fit and active brindle lurcher with no other health problems but I am concerned at how he will cope with such major surgery at 11. In fact his age is a rough guess as he was a rescue dog so he could be older.

It's a lengthy process, and could take between 3 and 4 hours as in my dog's case they will also do the prostrate and castration at the same time. The vet has recommended that this be done. It won't be easy for him afterwards either because there is the risk of infection because of where the hernia is which is under his tail. It's been a nightmare the past week waiting for it to be done because he is in pain when he spends a penny. I'll be glad when Tuesday comes in one way but not in another. I won't get to visit him as often either as its being done in Thurso. The surgery in Wick haven't had experience in performing a double hernia.

I don't know how I'm going to cope with that sad face looking at me when I leave him there.:cry:

I will be thinking of u and doggy....everything crossed for a good outcome.

Liz
08-Nov-09, 19:31
Oh Venture I know how worried you must be but as you say he is fit and healthy so should be fine although he will obviously take a while to recover from such major surgery. Can you get the homeopathic remedy Arnica as this could really help with the pain and healing?
Also, some rescue remedy in his drinking water should help.

I had a Sheltie who had be castrated when he was about 11 as he developed prostatitis and it was really worrying as he had heart problems.

He was very poorly after the surgery but after he was given a steroid injection it was like a miracle and he recovered really quickly then!

Will be thinking of you and your doggy on Tuesday Venture and sending up prayers that everything goes well.

Venture
08-Nov-09, 19:51
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I will be taking him up on Tuesday and leaving him I'm afraid but I won't be able to get back up until the following day though if he is poorly I shall be up there pronto.

He has had the problem for a while but it has been manageable through medication etc. he dosen't have any problems doing a pee but this last week every time his bowels open he squeels in agony. My nerves are absolutely shot with jumping every time he does it. Sometimes he's OK so I never know when its going to happen. He's such a lovely natured dog and is so attached to me that I worry that he will think I have abandoned him to all this pain. It will be strange for him as he hasn't been to the surgery in Thurso, he's used to the vets in Wick. In fact they always say what an easy dog to handle when he's there, he's so quite.

Liz I shall be taking your good advice re the arnica and rescue remedy. Fran thanks for the offer of a lift I don't drive but my husband does. Hopefully everything will go well and he will be home soon.

Liz
08-Nov-09, 19:59
Aw Venture we all feel bad when we leave our babies at the Vets for an op. There is another homeopathic remedy called Aconite which is really good for emotional 'trauma' such as being left at the Vets.

I could give you some if you could pop into Margaret's shop tomorrow morning? I also have some Arnica if you would like it?

He will be so sedated after the op that he will sleep most of Monday so don't feel bad about not picking him up until Tuesday. In fact it will probably be better for him.

teenybash
08-Nov-09, 20:31
Venture your lovely fella will do just fine I am sure and will be back with you sooner than you blink. Lot's of TLC and home with his mum is all the medicine he will need....and us lot rooting for him....

Fran
09-Nov-09, 03:41
My dog has the same problem, squeeling in pain when he does a poo as the hernia is just next to his bottom. the vet gave me granules (£18) to put in his food to make his motions fairly soft so that he wont have pain doing it.
If you do need a lift, the offer is still there, and we are all thinking of you on tueasday and eager for news on wednesday.

Venture
09-Nov-09, 09:17
Thanks Fran for the offer of a lift but I'm ok at the moment. I too have had the peridale granules for him. Only thing is it makes them go about 5 to 6 times a day. So horrible hearing them in pain. Thank-you for your concern, it's good to talk with someone who knows what its like. I hope Bobby isn't in too much distress.

BINBOB
09-Nov-09, 10:15
My dog has the same problem, squeeling in pain when he does a poo as the hernia is just next to his bottom. the vet gave me granules (£18) to put in his food to make his motions fairly soft so that he wont have pain doing it.
If you do need a lift, the offer is still there, and we are all thinking of you on tueasday and eager for news on wednesday.

Very kind gesture...good for u Fran.;)

BINBOB
09-Nov-09, 10:17
Aw Venture we all feel bad when we leave our babies at the Vets for an op. There is another homeopathic remedy called Aconite which is really good for emotional 'trauma' such as being left at the Vets.

I could give you some if you could pop into Margaret's shop tomorrow morning? I also have some Arnica if you would like it?

He will be so sedated after the op that he will sleep most of Monday so don't feel bad about not picking him up until Tuesday. In fact it will probably be better for him.

Venture..I agree with Liz.I know how it feels and totallyb relate to ur feelings/anxiety.
We will be thinking of u both tomorrow and looking for news after the op.
Very best wishes.xxx