PDA

View Full Version : static electricity

Billy Boy
13-Apr-06, 19:37
I regularly suffer a build up of static electricty in my body & keep getting shocks, even if i touch someone i get a shock & give them one.
can anybody suggest anything i can do to stop this from happening:confused:

dozerboy
13-Apr-06, 19:47
you must be a good conductor!!!!!!

Try different footwear, or if in your house, no footwear and see if that helps.

ice box
13-Apr-06, 19:56
the wife is like that every thing she touches she get a shock even me she must spending too much time on the computer lol try wearing rubber sole shoes .

George Brims
13-Apr-06, 19:59
Wear only natural fibres. Humidify your house in dry weather. Don't stroke the cat when it's frosty outside (ours used to bite me when I did that). The natural fibres thing doesn't help if your sofa or car upholstery is that nylon velour stuff. I get horrible shocks when I get out of my car as my jeans rub on the other material. My work sometimes takes me to high mountain places where is it extremely dry (<1% RH at times) and I sometimes create 1/2 inch sparks. The worst is when you walk in the toilet and erm *go standing up* without disippating the static through the tap first.

nightowl
13-Apr-06, 20:22
Ouch George!
I've been affected by this for years, moreso over the winter. I create blue sparks whenever I touch the video, in particular! Is there an easy solution to this problem? Thank goodness I'm not the only one with an "electric personality"

ice box
13-Apr-06, 20:24
I used love it when i take my jumper off in the dark and you would see all the spark .

krieve
13-Apr-06, 20:27
I have the very same problem,:~( when i get out of the car and shut the car door i always get a shock .Also when i go on the pc i am fine but if i go on the laptop i get a shock. I touched my man on his face the other day, because my hands were freezing, i gave him a shock my thumb hurt the rest of the day! It's drving me crazy it seems to get worse everyday.grrrr :confused

nightowl
13-Apr-06, 20:30
Now that I remember. Years ago in operating theatres there used to be chains dangling from the metal trolleys to the floor ? to discharge the static. And again,years ago, did cars not have funny rubbery things dangling at the back also to help counteract the static. So maybe that's the answer - at the risk of us looking like Jacob Marley!:lol:

footie chick
13-Apr-06, 20:38
I always get a shock of the shopping trolleys. Thats before I get the bill[lol]

Drutt
13-Apr-06, 20:46
I used to be terrible for building up static charges - it got so bad that I'd produce 1 inch flashes of light whenever I went to get into a car / shut a car door / went near any other metal.

Over the years I seem to have grown out of it, but at the time I found the only fix was to always hold a metal key, and tap the key to any other metal before I touched it. It certainly stopped the electric shocks when I was getting into a car.

Billy Boy
13-Apr-06, 20:53
Although it is annoying i suppose it has it good points aswell, like when Mr Billy Boy annoy's me, i just wait till he aint looking then touch his ear an give him a shock :roll: annoy's the heck out of him, but hey it amuse's me :lol:

mareng
13-Apr-06, 23:14
I used love it when i take my jumper off in the dark and you would see all the spark .

I used to love it when my girlfriend took off her jumper

Sigh........ Think I'll have to go and lie down.

Mareng