PDA

View Full Version : Dog Mess....disgusting.!!!!

ClachanHope
28-Oct-09, 20:38
I was disgusted this afternoon when my OH, myself and my dog went down by Wick river today to eat our chips and give the dog a run.
Right there beside us was a big huge dog poop.!!!! Fantastic!!!! Yet another dog owner NOT lifting their dog mess.
I am disgusted by this and I'm a dog owner, how do the non owners feel. It must be 10 times worse for them.[evil]
There is no excuse for this.
When are these people going to clean up after their dogs.???

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 20:43
Absolutely agree, I clean up after my own dogs yet I end up washing other peoples dogs mess off buggy wheels and carpets. Would they let their dogs mess on their carpets? No I think not so I don't want to clean it off of mine. [evil]

dragonfly
28-Oct-09, 20:48
there's no excuse for it, dog owners can pick up free poo bags from the service points in the council offices if they can't afford to buy a pack!

Hunted the beach tonight for one that Brodie did, found it eventually but not an easy task in the dark :confused

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 20:55
I am thinking of buying a good torch [lol] I can't find the black dogs and the mess can take ages to find :lol: I sympathise :lol:

John Baikie
28-Oct-09, 21:38
I'm in favour of the dog owner having their nose rubbed in it, or it pushed through their letterbox, since they forgot to bring it back with them

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 21:41
I think that would work quite well [lol]

changilass
28-Oct-09, 21:42
As Unicorn has seconded that and I am thirding it, that means its passed and is now law :lol:

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 21:43
Yay us, when do we start [lol]

EDDIE
28-Oct-09, 21:51
We here all this talk about dogs poo but what about all the iresponsible cat owner that lets there cats out to wonder all over the place into people gardens without permision and poop were they want should cats be put on leads and owners made to clean up there poo to

mop top
28-Oct-09, 21:55
I'm in favour of the dog owner having their nose rubbed in it, or it pushed through their letterbox, since they forgot to bring it back with them

LOL if only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![lol]

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 23:29
I think a lot of the mess is just missed by the owners rather than any real intention to leave it, especially if it is dark at night or if they have two dogs and their back is turned picking some up already. <Ducks down to avoid being pelted by the anti-poo brown shirts>

Bazeye
28-Oct-09, 23:48
Shouldnt this thread be a "sticky"?

Alan16
28-Oct-09, 23:50
I was disgusted this afternoon when my OH, myself and my dog went down by Wick river today to eat our chips and give the dog a run.
Right there beside us was a big huge dog poop.!!!! Fantastic!!!! Yet another dog owner NOT lifting their dog mess.
I am disgusted by this and I'm a dog owner, how do the non owners feel. It must be 10 times worse for them.[evil]
There is no excuse for this.
When are these people going to clean up after their dogs.???

Déjà vu anybody?

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 23:55

Nah otherwise I'll have to enable the anti plop-up security feature on Kaspersky, it's a recurring problem as it is.

Shabbychic
29-Oct-09, 02:32

Nope....it should be a "Stinky". ;)

ClachanHope
29-Oct-09, 08:20
I think a lot of the mess is just missed by the owners rather than any real intention to leave it, especially if it is dark at night or if they have two dogs and their back is turned picking some up already. <Ducks down to avoid being pelted by the anti-poo brown shirts>

There is no excuse for "missing" your dogs poop. If al these responsible owners can watch to see where and when their dog poops then so can everyone else. I had two dogs until recently and always knew where both of them pooped. A good dog owner knows their dogs habits and traits, and if they can't be bothered learningthem, they shouldn't have a dog.
As for cats, I totally agree as well, cos there's nothing worse than looking after your garden and coming across a buried cat poop.....eeuuuwwww!!!! Gross:mad:

ClachanHope
29-Oct-09, 08:21

Good one JOhn, never thought of that, and I "fourth it"... lol:lol:
That'd teach them.

riggerboy
29-Oct-09, 08:51
As Unicorn has seconded that and I am thirding it, that means its passed and is now law :lol:

should that not read you ar turding it, that means its passed through and now law ????

NLP
29-Oct-09, 11:09

I found I was having trouble finding the mess in the dark so I now take a torch with me, saves a lot of time searching.

LMS
29-Oct-09, 12:03
I was in Wick yesterday and there was a massive offending object at DE's corner. There were several more patches along Bridge Street heading towards the Cliff.

People just don't care. There are plenty of dog-owners that clear up and maybe a few that 'miss' the dog doing the business, but I firmly believe that for each of these two categories, there is at least one in the 'don't care' brigade.

I watched a man let his dog foul on the Cliff once and when I asked him what he was going to do about it, he replied that it wasn't his problem. I don't know who he was or I would have reported him. However, he was so rough I maybe wouldn't have for fear of retaliation. He was as menacing looking as his pit bull.

Turquoise
29-Oct-09, 12:32
I tackled someone at a park who wandered off as their dog was quite obviously doing it's business.

I don't own a dog, but when I have looked after other people's dogs, I have spewed but still managed to pick it up and carry it to a bin. (Admittedly I was slightly hungover at the time but I just got on with it!)

There are too many irresponsible dog owners, who are not willing to care for their dogs properly. It's a pity that dog ownership cannot be more strictly controlled for the sake of the poor dogs.

jac1791
29-Oct-09, 12:50
i wish i could find the person who lets their dog regularly do its buisness right outside my drive in OWEN PLACE.... there are no dogs wandering and I live at the end of the street so someone must know there dog is doing it. it got brought in last night on my new carpet - i was nearly sick cleaning it up.. think what would happen if my grand children got it on their hands!!!!!!
I have dogs and could never walk away if they did that and not clean up after them.
i think if you feel responsible enough to own a dog then you should be responsible enough to clean up their muck.

jac1791
29-Oct-09, 12:55
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR and dont start me on cat much!!!!!!!!! I have bags of sand on my drive to be put in back garden for slabs but will end up with only half the amount once we remove all the cat dirt from it!!!!!!

AfternoonDelight
29-Oct-09, 17:07
I agree that there is no excuse for dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs, although the council are stopping giving out free bags to save money. Buy a dog - be prepared to spend money on it!

But cats? What about all the bird poop and mice poop and insect poop you see lying around - must these animals poop at all? :roll:

changilass
29-Oct-09, 17:13
Birds, mice and insects are slightly different in that the majority are not pets, those that are get cleaned up after by their owners, which is what folks are saying should happen after cats.

Dogs need to go to the loo just the same as cats yet we clean up after our dogs but the neighbourhood cats can come and do their business in my garden and I am supposed to accept it.

I am almost certain that folks would not be happy if I took Murph round to their garden to have his daily crap.

mop top
29-Oct-09, 17:46
I agree that there is no excuse for dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs, although the council are stopping giving out free bags to save money. Buy a dog - be prepared to spend money on it!

But cats? What about all the bird poop and mice poop and insect poop you see lying around - must these animals poop at all? :roll:

The councils decision to stop giving out free bags has been overturned thank goodness and bags are available as usual from Wick and Thurso service points and the usual village post offices and shops.:)

Serenity
29-Oct-09, 17:58
Birds, mice and insects are slightly different in that the majority are not pets, those that are get cleaned up after by their owners, which is what folks are saying should happen after cats.

Dogs need to go to the loo just the same as cats yet we clean up after our dogs but the neighbourhood cats can come and do their business in my garden and I am supposed to accept it.

I am almost certain that folks would not be happy if I took Murph round to their garden to have his daily crap.

No I wouldn't be happy. Cat poo and dog poo are on a different scale - don't want to go into specifics but just look at it(!?). And cats bury there's and do it discreetly as well.

If you are unhappy with cats doing their business in your garden what do you suggest us cat owners do about it?

Have to say all my cats are indoor-outdoor cats but they generally don't stray from our own garden (ie "their" territory hehe) and have never had any complaints.

Edit: missed the bit you mention about cleaning up after cats. Do you want your neighbours going into your garden and digging it up to find the offending material?

Also I find it quite ridiculous that the council are giving away free bags. As someone else said - don't get a dog unless you are able to pay for it.

EDDIE
29-Oct-09, 18:25
Cats should be allowed to stray anymore than what a dog is allowed cats should be on a leash

Serenity
29-Oct-09, 18:28
Cats should be allowed to stray anymore than what a dog is allowed cats should be on a leash

Why do you think this?

katarina
29-Oct-09, 18:28
I think the council are doing their best to stop the problem - hence the free bags. Doesn't seem to be working tho. More on the spot fines would be the answer, but the dog has to be caught in the act.
Some one said about dog mess along the MAIN street. Someone must have seen this happen. Maybe the traffic warden should be also given powers to report dog messing? He's always around.

unicorn
29-Oct-09, 19:06
Well I have to say well done to the dog walkers who use the Mall.
I was up there today and absolutely no mess on the pavements. Was a very pleasant walk with wee ones and not once did I have to say watch your feet.

EDDIE
29-Oct-09, 19:20
Why do you think this?
Im just pointing out that a dog and a cat should both be painted with the same brush its only fair.
I think for someone that owns a cat and allows it to wander about on its own and for that cat to do its business on some one else ground without permision is iresponsible not only that cats kills birds birds have the same right to live as anyone else thats why cats should be on a lead as well as dogs.You could use the same argument for birds but birds are wild animals were cats and dogs are not

whaligoechiel
29-Oct-09, 19:55
why should cats be allowed to go into gardens and do their buisness into peoples veg/flower plots but that is ok as it is buried have you tried weeding the said beds and ending with fingers coverd in ----- also the smell of tom cats all around your doors and property

Rheghead
29-Oct-09, 19:59
The best way to get rid of cat muck in your own garden is to get a cat yersel if yer that bothered.

whaligoechiel
29-Oct-09, 20:26
so multiply the problem by two

Serenity
29-Oct-09, 20:58
Im just pointing out that a dog and a cat should both be painted with the same brush its only fair.
I think for someone that owns a cat and allows it to wander about on its own and for that cat to do its business on some one else ground without permision is iresponsible not only that cats kills birds birds have the same right to live as anyone else thats why cats should be on a lead as well as dogs.You could use the same argument for birds but birds are wild animals were cats and dogs are not

First of all, I had to read that about three times to understand exactly what you were saying. Ever heard of punctuation? (I know that's not relevant to the discussion but might be an idea for the future).
Secondly my cats all have bells on to prevent them catching birds, but even if they do that is nature. Also please try putting a cat on a lead. And after you deal with your cuts and scratches you might want to consider their psychological state.
To be honest the only problem I see with cats doing their business elsewhere is if children are digging in the ground or something. In which case you should try some of the repellents. And the same goes if it affects you some other way.
As for the argument that cats should be on a leash because dogs are - that doesn't even make sense. Dogs are on leashes to stop them running onto roads or fighting/chasing other dogs etc. When the owner feels it is safe for the dog they can be let off the lead.

changilass
29-Oct-09, 21:13
You said in a previous post that poo bags shouldn't be free as I shouldn't have a dog if I can't afford one, now you are saying that as you have a cat I should pay for repelents, you really do want your cake and to eat it too.

BTW repelents don't work.

Rheggers - no point in me getting a cat, it will only go crap in someone elses garden and I aint that selfish.

unicorn
29-Oct-09, 21:18
Why are bags free anyway? You can buy a couple of hundred nappy sacks for £1.

whaligoechiel
29-Oct-09, 21:29
so what about cats that are allowed to roam free breed and become feral are they ok to kill birds etc (and yes there are plenty in caithness)
how many feral dogs do we see
I am not condoning any one who has no control of their dog or wont clean up there mess after them

EDDIE
29-Oct-09, 23:52
First of all, I had to read that about three times to understand exactly what you were saying. Ever heard of punctuation? (I know that's not relevant to the discussion but might be an idea for the future).
Secondly my cats all have bells on to prevent them catching birds, but even if they do that is nature. Also please try putting a cat on a lead. And after you deal with your cuts and scratches you might want to consider their psychological state.
To be honest the only problem I see with cats doing their business elsewhere is if children are digging in the ground or something. In which case you should try some of the repellents. And the same goes if it affects you some other way.
As for the argument that cats should be on a leash because dogs are - that doesn't even make sense. Dogs are on leashes to stop them running onto roads or fighting/chasing other dogs etc. When the owner feels it is safe for the dog they can be let off the lead.

But why should your neighbours have to put repellents down to prevent your cat doing its business in there garden your being silly now.
Cats should be put on a lead when there outside to stop them wandering into other peoples property and cats do wander onto the roads by themselves and do get run over and cause damage to cars and the main reason this happens is because cats are not on a lead and are not supervised or under control from there owner
Could u imagine if all the dog owners just simply let there dogs go out for a walk by themselves unsupervised there would be an uproar if that happened but yet its ok for a cat to go out wandering by itself

northener
30-Oct-09, 00:11
No one forces anyone to possess a pet. Be it cat or dog.

But there seems to be an attitude that it is OK for someone to inflict the mess and damage caused by their pet cat onto others. It's avery selfish attitude if you ask me. The excuse is always "well that's what cats do" - as if this somehow exonerates the owner of said cat from any responsibility.

Scraping cat crap out of my garden and having to constantly haul rocks at the bloody things to stop them slaughtering the local bird population isn't something I enjoy doing. Yet cat owners just expect everyone else to put up with it without a murmur.

Why?

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-09, 00:13
I have two dogs and would like to consider myself a responsible dog owner by cleaning up after my dogs and I get disappointed with people that don't. I think most people with dogs do make the effort because when I dispose of my bags in the dog dirt bins there seems to be lots of bags in their (and they do get emptied often), although judging by the regularity of this discussion and the state of our public areas, it is still a long way off ideal.

I saw the most extra ordinary thing the other day, I looked out of our kitchen window and a neighbour's cat was in my garden digging a hole, he/she had a poo in the hole and then filled it in.:eek:

GetWithTheTimes
30-Oct-09, 03:45
i think im allergic to dog poo

coz the last time i ate it i was sick for weeks lol

Aaldtimer
30-Oct-09, 04:30
I saw the most extra ordinary thing the other day, I looked out of our kitchen window and a neighbour's cat was in my garden digging a hole, he/she had a poo in the hole and then filled it in.:eek:

Why was that extra-ordinary? "That's what cats do"!
Especially in the seed beds of gardeners who have worked the soil into a nice tilth for their seeds to have the best chance of germination and growth.
But of course cat owners don't care about that as long as their cats return home safe without being run over by a nasty car driver!:confused

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-09, 09:37

Because this cat was using a spade to dig the hole.[lol][lol][lol]

Sorry I'll get my coat.

changilass
30-Oct-09, 10:13
Just knew that one was coming lol

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 11:05
Especially in the seed beds of gardeners who have worked the soil into a nice tilth for their seeds to have the best chance of germination and growth.
But of course cat owners don't care about that as long as their cats return home safe without being run over by a nasty car driver!:confused

So if the gardener has worked the soil and planted the seeds then it is very unlikely the gardener will return to the said patch of soil to dig with bare hands in the very near future?

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 11:07
Shouldn't this thread be in Pets Corner section?:confused

changilass
30-Oct-09, 11:08
Aye they will cos they have to replant when the cats have dug the originals up lol.

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 11:09
Aye they will cos they have to replant when the cats have dug the originals up lol.

But surely the cat will have put the seeds with the soil back in the hole with extra nutrients? They're doing the gardener a service, no?

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-09, 11:32
Dog mess is without a doubt a very emotive issue and one that seems to crop up with a monotonous regularity, but we seem to be able to do very little constructive about it.

I have always felt that necessity is the mother of all inventions and yet apart from pooper scooper's and plastic bags, nothing very exciting has come to the market place that would have a dramatic effect on solving the issue. I would love to see something on Dragons Den that would help solve the problem.

For most people, it is not laziness that prevents them from wanting to clean up after there mutt, but the inability to deal with the job without leaving a pile of sick on the pavement as well. :eek:

I thought about an aerosol can with a long spout that you could spray the offending joby with that would either freeze it or encase it in such a way that it can be picked up easily without any mess or smell.:Razz

Has anybody else have any thoughts how we could invent our way out of this on going problem?

changilass
30-Oct-09, 12:32
Doggy nappies??

Turquoise
30-Oct-09, 12:39
I put a nappy bag over my hand, then grab a tissue first so that I don't actually feel the offending pile. Pull the bag over your hand and voila no need to feel the warmth!

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 12:44
Pull the bag over your hand and voila no need to feel the warmth!

For cold days you can buy little hand warmers with a charcoal stick inside, I've always thought why the expense if you've got a wee pooch.

katarina
30-Oct-09, 13:18
For most people, it is not laziness that prevents them from wanting to clean up after there mutt, but the inability to deal with the job without leaving a pile of sick on the pavement as well. :eek:

I thought about an aerosol can with a long spout that you could spray the offending joby with that would either freeze it or encase it in such a way that it can be picked up easily without any mess or smell.:Razz

Has anybody else have any thoughts how we could invent our way out of this on going problem?

'Pets at home' have a spray which reputedly freezes the the poo thus making the mess easier to clean up. And I don't think it's that hard to do anyway as long as you don't breath in! I have a dog that poos like a horse. With good strong poo bags there's no problem.

Bazeye
30-Oct-09, 14:39
Isnt Orange peel a deterrent to cats, or is that just a myth?

northener
30-Oct-09, 15:15
Isnt Orange peel a deterrent to cats, or is that just a myth?

It is if you leave it attached to the orange - and then throw the orange at the cat.:Razz

Olin
30-Oct-09, 15:47
This thread is a load of crap! lol

Aaldtimer
30-Oct-09, 15:54
But surely the cat will have put the seeds with the soil back in the hole with extra nutrients? They're doing the gardener a service, no?

You obviously ain't no gardener Rheg! The cat, in the act of burying it's deposit, totally messes up the seed bed or seedlings.
And who would want cat-poo flavoured veg anyway?[evil]

Nice ones Kev & Northener!:lol:

ClachanHope
30-Oct-09, 16:03
Shouldn't this thread be in Pets Corner section?:confused

I did think of putting on the pets section, but I wanted to know what non dog owners thought and maybe they don't read the pets section.

I'm glad to see that lots of folk are of the same opinion as myself about the dog mess, as for someone leaving the mess on the corner by DE, that is just disgusting, and bad mannered, these people don't give a flying..jump about anyone else. It is also possible to train a dog to NOT poop on the tar. Difficult, yes, but possible.
And I buy about 100 scented nappy bags for £1. Penny a poop is good value..:D

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-09, 16:21
'Pets at home' have a spray which reputedly freezes the the poo thus making the mess easier to clean up. And I don't think it's that hard to do anyway as long as you don't breath in! I have a dog that poos like a horse. With good strong poo bags there's no problem.

I may just try that spray to see if it works. I have no problem picking up after the dogs, but I do think the job could be made easier for those that do struggle with it.

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-09, 19:10
It is if you leave it attached to the orange - and then throw the orange at the cat.:Razz

I could see that might work.:lol:

M R
30-Oct-09, 19:55
It is also possible to train a dog to NOT poop on the tar. Difficult, yes, but possible.

It's also possible to train a dog to go on command ! this would would solve alot off issues.

All puppies sent to Poo Command Boot Camp to learn the art before being allowed out...

Blarney
02-Nov-09, 00:26
[disgust]The thing that really annoys me is the attitude of many dog owners who think that because it's their dog everybody loves it as much as they do and won't mind if it poos at their front door or on the pavement in the middle of town where everyone walks through it. The worst thing about cats is that the owners just open the door and let them out and I'm sick of not being able to open my downstairs windows for fresh air without a particular cat coming in and making himself at home in my bedroom. Not being an animal lover it makes my skin crawl.

Vistravi
02-Nov-09, 00:45

I'd like to see you try and put a leash on my cat! She'd take the face of you for trying! :lol:

Granted some cats can be trained to go on a leash but most cats won't entertain the idea.

Cats not wild animals? If not where does the feral wild side come from that cats show when they are upset. My cat is fairly tame but when she is really upset she is almost feral. I'm the only person she fully trusts to stroke her belly and touch her paws checking her claws (orginally a farm cat as a kitten) but even i'm not allowed to touch her when she is really upset. Thankfully that does not happen very often, less and less as she gets older.

Dogs can be the same. Just because they have been domescated they are still at some level wild.

Vistravi
02-Nov-09, 01:21
No one forces anyone to possess a pet. Be it cat or dog.

But there seems to be an attitude that it is OK for someone to inflict the mess and damage caused by their pet cat onto others. It's avery selfish attitude if you ask me. The excuse is always "well that's what cats do" - as if this somehow exonerates the owner of said cat from any responsibility.

Scraping cat crap out of my garden and having to constantly haul rocks at the bloody things to stop them slaughtering the local bird population isn't something I enjoy doing. Yet cat owners just expect everyone else to put up with it without a murmur.

Why?

The natural food chain is in place making it instinct for cats to kill smaller creatures than themselves be it birds or mice etc. Nobody can deny that the food chain is there and will never go away no matter how much it is fought against.

Forgive me but i do think some birds just tease til the point that said cat kills it. When my family lived in mount vernon we had trees at the bottom of the garden which my dad's and my brothers cats used to climb up. My dad's cat always being up the trees as she loved to climb. The birds knew that cats lived in the house and went out alot to the garden. You'd think that wuld keep them away eh? Nope they'd sit in the trees squaking their wee beaks off untill of of the three cats got them.

changilass
02-Nov-09, 01:21
Maybe if cats are so wild folks should stop having them as pets then.

Aaldtimer
02-Nov-09, 03:49
The natural food chain is in place making it instinct for cats to kill smaller creatures than themselves be it birds or mice etc. Nobody can deny that the food chain is there and will never go away no matter how much it is fought against.

Forgive me but i do think some birds just tease til the point that said cat kills it. When my family lived in mount vernon we had trees at the bottom of the garden which my dad's and my brothers cats used to climb up. My dad's cat always being up the trees as she loved to climb. The birds knew that cats lived in the house and went out alot to the garden. You'd think that wuld keep them away eh? Nope they'd sit in the trees squaking their wee beaks off untill of of the three cats got them.

So, to take your logic a bit further...the cats which come to my garden and sit on the dykes and "tease" my wee Westie will be fair game if he ever catches one eh?[disgust]

maverick
02-Nov-09, 10:04
It's very nice to see once again that dog mess is again an issue on the org. Before anyone jumps down my throat, yes I agree it's disgusting.

What I find even more disgusting is the amount of human refuse disgarded along our roadsides.

Anyone needing evidence of this, just walk from the business park in wick towards the town, you will find lots of nice things lying on the verge next to the pavement, things like plastic bottles, beer cans, soft drink cans, ciggarette packets, babies nappies( soiled), contents of ashtrays discarded from car, used sanitary products, garments of various discriptions, broken bottles, crisp packets, sweet wrappers etc, etc...

Ok so there is no excuse for dog owners picking up after their dogs, so whats the excuse for people not cleaning up when they are done????

ragdollyanna
02-Nov-09, 12:04
The difference between the cat and dog poo issue is that dog owners can realistically prevent the problem and this is what enrages me. I am a gardener and yes, there's nothing worse that cat poo among your herbs, but I don't get angry about it because I know it can't be prevented as easily as picking up after your dog.

I am a cat owner but my cat is litter trained and still does his business in his litter tray every morning before going out to play, that way I can look my neighbours in the eye with a clear conscience! (and yet I am still awoken in the night by their flaming dogs barking!!!)

changilass
02-Nov-09, 12:23
You have just contradicted yourself.

You say 'dog owners can realistically prevent the problem', then go on to say 'my cat is litter trained'.

If that is the case, why can't all cat owners train their cats to litter, then they would all be able to get on their high horses about dog poo without the risk of falling at the first fence.

annthracks
02-Nov-09, 15:20

Likewise dogs, then we wouldn't be having this non productive thread. They are animals not people, please don't endow them with human traits and so called rights!

annthracks
02-Nov-09, 15:30
What I find even more disgusting is the amount of human refuse disgarded along our roadsides.

Anyone needing evidence of this, just walk from the business park in wick towards the town, you will find lots of nice things lying on the verge next to the pavement, things like plastic bottles, beer cans, soft drink cans, ciggarette packets, babies nappies( soiled), contents of ashtrays discarded from car, used sanitary products, garments of various discriptions, broken bottles, crisp packets, sweet wrappers etc, etc...

Ok so there is no excuse for dog owners picking up after their dogs, so whats the excuse for people not cleaning up when they are done????

Bone idleness, ignorance, lack of manners, lack of proper upbringing (cuff round the ear and a "PICK IT UP!!" when they were kids)...

Apologies for such a short reply after a long quote.

thebigman
02-Nov-09, 16:51

No problem if a dog tears your cat pieces and eats it then? After having played and tortured it for a while of course.

ClachanHope
02-Nov-09, 17:28
[disgust]The thing that really annoys me is the attitude of many dog owners who think that because it's their dog everybody loves it as much as they do and won't mind if it poos at their front door or on the pavement in the middle of town where everyone walks through it. The worst thing about cats is that the owners just open the door and let them out and I'm sick of not being able to open my downstairs windows for fresh air without a particular cat coming in and making himself at home in my bedroom. Not being an animal lover it makes my skin crawl.

I totally agree with you here, I am a dog owner, I love my dog, but I don't expect you or anyone else to love her. I know there are lots of folk out there who don't like animals, and as for a cat coming into your bedroom....that is not on. I like quite like cats, but that would also make my skin crawl.

But we got off the agenda a wee bit in here, I just started it to try and make people see how awful it is to leave dog poo lying around and not pick it up. If we would just think of others a bit more, then maybe this would not be an issue

ragdollyanna
02-Nov-09, 19:17

You say 'dog owners can realistically prevent the problem', then go on to say 'my cat is litter trained'.

If that is the case, why can't all cat owners train their cats to litter, then they would all be able to get on their high horses about dog poo without the risk of falling at the first fence.

Actually I haven't contradicted myself as I have owned many cats in my lifetime and it just so happens that this one is a bit daft and hasn't figured out that it can poo outside, which is great. This is down to the cat's behaviour. The dog poo problem is down to human behaviour.

Yes - it would be brilliant if all cats behaved like mine but until dog owners start picking up after their dogs, on paths, and even in my front garden, my backside is remaining firmly on my high horse!

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 19:32
Actually I haven't contradicted myself as I have owned many cats in my lifetime and it just so happens that this one is a bit daft and hasn't figured out that it can poo outside, which is great. This is down to the cat's behaviour. The dog poo problem is down to human behaviour.

Yes - it would be brilliant if all cats behaved like mine but until dog owners start picking up after their dogs, on paths, and even in my front garden, my backside is remaining firmly on my high horse!

Then maybe,maybe just..horse owners could pick up the enormous amounts of poop there animals leave behind....then ,maybe,just maybe parents could clear up the vandalism mess their kids leave behind.maybe///just maybe......I live in hope.:roll::roll:

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 20:06

Changilass - can you explain why you are so totally on the offensive on this? All you are doing is picking people's posts apart and not even answering the issues they brought up.

Can you please answer whether or not you agree there is a difference between a dog doing a big steaming crap in the middle of a street and a cat doing it's much smaller business and burying it? (of course this is in general - I am aware there are smaller dogs).

My cats are litter trained, but I feel it is against there nature to keep them indoors. In any case they don't venture outside my garden. I know this as I am unfortunately not working just now so am around them a lot. (of course they may venture occasionally but they all seem to have there "spot").

And still no one has replied to give cat owners a sensible suggestion. Do you want us to go into your gardens and pick up the buried offensive items?

As for the person above who has a cat coming into their house. I do not know what to do about that as we have had it in the past (coming in through the cat flap). Being cat lovers it did not bother us but I have a friend with an absolute phobia to them so can understand how this would be upsetting. Our cats eventually ganged up on it and it doesn't come around now but obviously that's not an option in your case :S :S Have you tried googling to see if you can find any suggestions?

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 20:09
Then maybe,maybe just..horse owners could pick up the enormous amounts of poop there animals leave behind....then ,maybe,just maybe parents could clear up the vandalism mess their kids leave behind.maybe///just maybe......I live in hope.:roll::roll:

Horses generally do their business in fields and countryside where you would expect it.
As for vandalism. Unfortunately that is probably a lost cause - in my experience the kids that do this generally have the kind of parents who really don't care anyway.

whaligoechiel
02-Nov-09, 21:06
Horses generally do their business in fields and countryside where you would expect it.

No problem with fields or country side especially if you own that field

but what about forest walks, beaches etc where you have to navigate around a half barrow load of dung
definitely to much for the biggest nappy sack that I have come across
I will wait for the flack but my experience of the horse brigade is that they have less concern about what is left behind than the dog and cat owners

unicorn
02-Nov-09, 21:21
A couple of months ago there was a huge pile of horse manure left on a pavement beside a swingpark in Thurso. Yuck.

Bazeye
02-Nov-09, 21:22

but what about forest walks, beaches etc where you have to navigate around a half barrow load of dung

Just treat it as you would a roundabout.

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 21:28

definitely to much for the biggest nappy sack that I have come across
I will wait for the flack but my experience of the horse brigade is that they have less concern about what is left behind than the dog and cat owners

Well said and so true.;)

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 21:29

What a stupid ,ridiculous comment.[lol][lol]

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 21:31
As for vandalism. Unfortunately that is probably a lost cause - in my experience the kids that do this generally have the kind of parents who really don't care anyway.

Gosh I did not realise that my village is a field!!!Silly old me.....:roll:

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 21:34
Gosh I did not realise that my village is a field!!!Silly old me.....:roll:

Please note the use of the word GENERALLY before you make sarcastic comments.

northener
02-Nov-09, 21:53
Horses have a diet of purely vegetable materiel. Same as cattle and sheep. There are no 'nasties' in their droppings - unlike cats and dogs.

Horse droppings are an inconvenience, nothing more - not a health hazard. No comparison.

northener
02-Nov-09, 21:55
What a stupid ,ridiculous comment.[lol][lol]

Why is it 'stupid' and 'ridiculous'?

Alice in Blunderland
02-Nov-09, 22:00

In her own words possibly ! ;)

Silly old me.....:roll:

annthracks
02-Nov-09, 22:12
A couple of months ago there was a huge pile of horse manure left on a pavement beside a swingpark in Thurso. Yuck.

I wish I'd known - I'd have been straight over with a bucket and shovel.
People used to rush out after the rag and bone man had been through the street when I was a kid, to see if his horses had left anything for the garden.

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 22:16
Please note the use of the word GENERALLY before you make sarcastic comments.

Thank u SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much !!!

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 22:17
In her own words possibly ! ;)

Oh..u are doing it again...[lol]

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 22:18

I need to tell u???...I am not going to!![lol]

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 22:19
Horses have a diet of purely vegetable materiel. Same as cattle and sheep. There are no 'nasties' in their droppings - unlike cats and dogs.

Horse droppings are an inconvenience, nothing more - not a health hazard. No comparison.

No e.coli????;)

northener
02-Nov-09, 22:48
No e.coli????;)

No.

"Some of these are, E. Coli, Salmonella, and Cryptosporidium parvum, however the frequency of Salmonella and Cryptosporidium parvum are low in horse faeces and there have been no known outbreaks of E. coli infections in humans attributed to horses."

Lifted from here: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_offices/departments/Biological_Ag_Engineering/Features/Extension/Agriculture_and_Environment/Managing+Horse+Manure+for+Environmental+Benefits.h tm

I think that answers your challenge.

northener
02-Nov-09, 22:50
I need to tell u???...I am not going to!![lol]

Why am I not suprised?

Rourkee
02-Nov-09, 22:58
[quote=Serenity;613876](!?). And cats bury there's and do it discreetly as well.

Try telling my neighbours cat that, it dumps in the middle of my lawn, none of that burying it crap !!!

thebigman
03-Nov-09, 00:05
No.

"Some of these are, E. Coli, Salmonella, and Cryptosporidium parvum, however the frequency of Salmonella and Cryptosporidium parvum are low in horse faeces and there have been no known outbreaks of E. coli infections in humans attributed to horses."

Lifted from here: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_offices/departments/Biological_Ag_Engineering/Features/Extension/Agriculture_and_Environment/Managing+Horse+Manure+for+Environmental+Benefits.h tm

I think that answers your challenge.

E.coli is in the gut of all animals and is excreted by all. Less than 50% of all outbreaks of are traced to source and less than 10% of e.coli cases take the form of an outbreak.

I think that challenges your answer.

Serenity
03-Nov-09, 05:43
E.coli is in the gut of all animals and is excreted by all. Less than 50% of all outbreaks of are traced to source and less than 10% of e.coli cases take the form of an outbreak.

I'm not really interested in discussing this and have no knowledge myself but would people who are stating things as facts and using figures etc in a discussion please quote/link their source?

northener
03-Nov-09, 11:04

Perhaps you can explain why there isn't a massive glut of ecoli cases amongst farm and stable workers - and why there never has been?

They are dealing with herbivore droppings every day and have been for a couple of thousand years...I don't recall any swathes of sick rural workers choking up the GP's surgery........

I'd say that successfully challenges your challenge:Razz

Kathy@watten
03-Nov-09, 14:12
I work daily with various forms of poop...some worse than others, have never been ill through handling it at all, I have dogs, horses, a cat and kids so the whole spectrum of poo! My cat is kind enough to disapear up the field to do his business, my dogs sadly tend to poop like horses on my grass and need tidying up after, my kids generally are well trained now and go to the loo...long time coming thought they would be feral forever. Horses poop I find the least offensive and they do at least a wheelbarrowload each a day, when out and about on my horses the chances are they will poop along the way but not on paths or kids playing grounds so see it doing little harm unless someone goes poking about in it, and I daresay kids shouldn't poke about in whats on the roads anyway. I do not see horse "emissions" being as bad as some of the noxious fumes coming out of lorries and cars on our roads. Hand washing must be key to preventing the unused to dirt society from getting ill after contact with farm/animal droppings etc, on that note did I wash my own hands before making my lunch?

thebigman
03-Nov-09, 17:04
Perhaps you can explain why there isn't a massive glut of ecoli cases amongst farm and stable workers - and why there never has been?

They are dealing with herbivore droppings every day and have been for a couple of thousand years...I don't recall any swathes of sick rural workers choking up the GP's surgery........

I'd say that successfully challenges your challenge:Razz

Pure luck, just like every person who avoids food poisoning or food bourne illness. Or they treat it as a jippy tummy and don't bother the docs.

I do agree that there are more bovine based incidents then equine but this may have something to do with the constistancy of the effluent!

You'd be surprised just how many cases from unknown sources come through our office. More info here - http://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk

thebigman
03-Nov-09, 17:06
I'm not really interested in discussing this and have no knowledge myself but would people who are stating things as facts and using figures etc in a discussion please quote/link their source?

My heid, seeing as that's what you pay your council tax for :-)

Venture
03-Nov-09, 18:16

Well Serenity if you don't want to take Bigman's info as correct you could always visit Wick High School tomorrow and hear all about E.coli straight from the horse's mouth. Sir Hugh Pennington is giving a talk there to senior pupils. I think you can guarantee on him being a very reliable link or source to consult.;):)

northener
03-Nov-09, 18:39
Well Serenity if you don't want to take Bigman's info as correct you could always visit Wick High School tomorrow and hear all about E.coli straight from the horse's mouth.......;):)

Now, given that some on here appear to believe that horses are a festering mass of bugs just waiting to kill unsuspecting humans...I'd be tempted to avoid any lecture given by a horse.:Razz

Then again...a talking horse would be a hell of a draw.

northener
03-Nov-09, 18:44
Pure luck, just like every person who avoids food poisoning or food bourne illness.....

Pure luck? Hmmmm, not convinced by that.

Would it be more reasonable to say that ecoli in herbivores causes no problems for the vast majority of the rural workers in the UK?
Otherwise we must be talking about a couple of hundred thousand (made up figure by me for the sake of discussion) workers who are just 'lucky'?

Venture
03-Nov-09, 19:45
Now, given that some on here appear to believe that horses are a festering mass of bugs just waiting to kill unsuspecting humans...I'd be tempted to avoid any lecture given by a horse.:Razz

Then again...a talking horse would be a hell of a draw.

.......and would probably talk a lot more sense than some on here.[lol]

northener
03-Nov-09, 20:02
.......and would probably talk a lot more sense than some on here.[lol]

Neigh...that can't be right....

(Eeeyore ways says that....)

Vistravi
15-Nov-09, 17:33

I agree with you that it is down to the cats behaviour whether or not they will use the cat litter or not. my mum's cat only uses the litter if she is truly depserate and there is no way she is going to get outside untill the morning as she spends the night in the house but her other three cats are indoor cats and use the litter all the time as does my cat.