PDA

View Full Version : Puppies!!!!!

ClachanHope
28-Oct-09, 20:30
Why are people breeding puppies when one or both the parents already have problems.?? and the people doing so, have absolutely no idea about any of it.
If a sire or dam has any sort of problem then it will be intensified in the puppies and just get worse and worse down the line. Eye problems, skin problems, breathing problems, temperament problems, they all get worse in the breeding not better.
Why are these irrisponsible people breeding more and more pups that will more than likely end up being picked up by the dog warden cos they aren't really wanted once they get past the cute and cuddly stage. Or they don't get proper training/exercise in the beginning and the owners can't be bothered with them anymore.
Nearly everyday I come on here there is yet another stray/unwanted dog.

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 20:52
I got my last dog from top breeders who were featured on tv about Britains top dogs. She had all sorts of problems, mostly skin and allergy but her whole life was plagued with problems. The man that bred her was a vet so knew more than most I assume. These things happen to the best of people as well as the back street breeders.

ClachanHope
30-Oct-09, 16:10
I got my last dog from top breeders who were featured on tv about Britains top dogs. She had all sorts of problems, mostly skin and allergy but her whole life was plagued with problems. The man that bred her was a vet so knew more than most I assume. These things happen to the best of people as well as the back street breeders.

A vet should have known better. No excuse for it, and then it's you has all the expense of paying for this pup then all the meds it needs all it's life. It's not all back street breeders who are doing this. Some of the more knowledgeable people are at it too, and they mislead people with less knowledge. Its wrong to do that to you.

tonkatojo
30-Oct-09, 18:52
It doesn't take a lot of thought this question, the answer is plainly money, be it KC breeders or backstreet breeders or even as stated some vets, they are only in it for the money.

JWM
30-Oct-09, 20:38
We got our dog from a family in ness, not much information to be given on health from both dogs. My dogs skin is bad starting to get even worse now, when he was a pup he was found to have a heart murmour so we got him dressed so that studding could no longer be an issue. but i agree i wish people were more careful when breeding as he can be quite expensive at times with our vet visits

unicorn
30-Oct-09, 20:41
Mine had a heart murmur too, her mum and dad were both champions and came from fabulous lines so I suppose these things can happen regardless. The allergies were most definately the worst and hardest to deal with.

Kathy@watten
30-Oct-09, 20:52
As a breeder I have had my bitch checked for every testable condition known to her breed and health checked before going to a carefully chosen stud dog who will compliment her ( he was very polite!) I have bred fantastic pups in both my chosen breeds none of which have any bred in disease or ailments, no carried skin complaints or hip or eye problems. I do not line breed and only ever have max of 3 litters of pups from a bitch. I currently have a super bouncy healthy litter of labrador pups which will be homed shortly to approved loving homes where I can be assured they will have a super quality of life. I offer the option of taking back any pup which for whatever reason doesn't work out and rehome appropriately. With all the costs of testing, studs, vets, feeding and the daily walking and feeding folk like me who breed only a few litters do not make money out of what we breed but do glean great satisfaction in seeing the best from our breed. Don't tar all breeders with the same brush...some of us are genuine dog lovers who out of their way to promote excellent dog husbandry and actively promote the attributes of their breed.

_Ju_
31-Oct-09, 09:33
A vet should have known better. No excuse for it, and then it's you has all the expense of paying for this pup then all the meds it needs all it's life. It's not all back street breeders who are doing this. Some of the more knowledgeable people are at it too, and they mislead people with less knowledge. Its wrong to do that to you.
Sorry but people want pure breeds. Pure breeds are ALWAYS crosses of closely related animals. Breeds have originated from a small gene pools that had some caracteristic that humans wanted to replicate, a caracteristic that often is a genetic flaw (for example, the short nose of so many breeds). These caracteristics/flaws are often associated with others (some can be tested for....others are just to expensive). And then every animal from a certain breed is a closely related cousin, through sucessive generations of inbreeding, to any other animal of the same breed it is paired to. But this is what people want, or at least where dog standards have pushed peoples "wants".
I think it is time that to earn the epitaph dog lover, that there be a real readjustment of how much emphisis is put on the cosmetic expectations we have of our different breeds of dog. We create the demand that is filled by breeders, vets or otherwise.

froal
31-Oct-09, 19:11
Hear Hear Kathy@watten ! !
Totally agree with u, me too are a small breeder :D

Miss Mack
01-Nov-09, 17:19
It doesn't take a lot of thought this question, the answer is plainly money, be it KC breeders or backstreet breeders or even as stated some vets, they are only in it for the money.
I'd agree with that!

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 19:34
Mine had a heart murmur too, her mum and dad were both champions and came from fabulous lines so I suppose these things can happen regardless. The allergies were most definately the worst and hardest to deal with.

I have yet to own a dog that has not got a heart murmur (vets diagnosis) and yet I have never owed a dog that has had any problems or illness associated with heart problems.:confused

If you see Casper running through the sand dunes like a startled Gazelle, it's hard to believe that a heart murmur would cause any problems. (he makes my ticker miss a beat at times though) :eek::lol:

Serenity
01-Nov-09, 21:07
I would like to know the answer to this, but with humans replacing the dogs.

GruesomeTwosome
02-Nov-09, 10:56
I bought my first rottie from a very reputable breeder, highly recommended and very likeable (I am still in touch with her 5 years on). The breeder was not so much into showing but producing a litter of good family dogs. But it turned out the pup had a heart murmur which would either kill her in 6 months or not bother her at all (as told by a vet). I phoned the breeder who knew nothing about it but put me on to my pup's sire's owner who was a vet nurse. She was very knowledgable but did slip that the sire's granny had one and it never bothered her. I'm lucky it never bothered her and she grew out of it. In my opinion that dog should never have been bred from.

My other rottie is a rehome but he came from a very show orientated breeder and was very successful at the shows. Super nature, very gentle, chilled and a joy to own but he is constantly bothered by dirty ears and itchy paws. This causes him to scratch his ears (which sometimes make them bleed). I have to constantly clean them and sometimes use an antibiotic cream. Lucky for me he doesnt mind me working with him so much in such an uncomfortable way. He chews his paws too which the vet thinks is related to his ear problem, if left he can chew them til he takes all the skin off his pads unless I put a muzzle on him. This problem causes a lot of discomfort for the dog and costs me a lot of money. The money side does not bother me because I love my dogs but seeing him in such discomfort is upsetting.

So having a dog from each type of breeder has not made much difference. Health checks definately help but there can be underlying health probs which will prop up in the future. It is a gamble in all instances breeding but I do think there are far too many dogs being bred.

_Ju_
02-Nov-09, 11:23
I would like to know the answer to this, but with humans replacing the dogs.

What? I can't make any sense of your question.

PS: Gruesome twosome, not that I disagree with your post, but, for example, if you excluded heart murmurs for breeding purposes, the King Charles Spaniel would be made extinct. Close to 50% of them die of heart related problems. I have not yet found one without a heart murmur. What would be my solution? Maybe I would choose to dilute the breed, mixing it with new blood. That would, however change their look and have King Charles Spaniel breeders, showers and lovers up in arms.

unicorn
02-Nov-09, 12:14
Part of my dogs food allergies affected her ears and her feet, all her nails actually had to be removed at one point it was awful for her, Have you had allergy tests done to rule this out?

I bought my first rottie from a very reputable breeder, highly recommended and very likeable (I am still in touch with her 5 years on). The breeder was not so much into showing but producing a litter of good family dogs. But it turned out the pup had a heart murmur which would either kill her in 6 months or not bother her at all (as told by a vet). I phoned the breeder who knew nothing about it but put me on to my pup's sire's owner who was a vet nurse. She was very knowledgable but did slip that the sire's granny had one and it never bothered her. I'm lucky it never bothered her and she grew out of it. In my opinion that dog should never have been bred from.

My other rottie is a rehome but he came from a very show orientated breeder and was very successful at the shows. Super nature, very gentle, chilled and a joy to own but he is constantly bothered by dirty ears and itchy paws. This causes him to scratch his ears (which sometimes make them bleed). I have to constantly clean them and sometimes use an antibiotic cream. Lucky for me he doesnt mind me working with him so much in such an uncomfortable way. He chews his paws too which the vet thinks is related to his ear problem, if left he can chew them til he takes all the skin off his pads unless I put a muzzle on him. This problem causes a lot of discomfort for the dog and costs me a lot of money. The money side does not bother me because I love my dogs but seeing him in such discomfort is upsetting.

So having a dog from each type of breeder has not made much difference. Health checks definately help but there can be underlying health probs which will prop up in the future. It is a gamble in all instances breeding but I do think there are far too many dogs being bred.

ClachanHope
02-Nov-09, 17:43
As a breeder I have had my bitch checked for every testable condition known to her breed and health checked before going to a carefully chosen stud dog who will compliment her ( he was very polite!) I have bred fantastic pups in both my chosen breeds none of which have any bred in disease or ailments, no carried skin complaints or hip or eye problems. I do not line breed and only ever have max of 3 litters of pups from a bitch. I currently have a super bouncy healthy litter of labrador pups which will be homed shortly to approved loving homes where I can be assured they will have a super quality of life. I offer the option of taking back any pup which for whatever reason doesn't work out and rehome appropriately. With all the costs of testing, studs, vets, feeding and the daily walking and feeding folk like me who breed only a few litters do not make money out of what we breed but do glean great satisfaction in seeing the best from our breed. Don't tar all breeders with the same brush...some of us are genuine dog lovers who out of their way to promote excellent dog husbandry and actively promote the attributes of their breed.

Obviously a good owner/breeder, and i'm not tarring all breeders with the same brush, I know a lot of good responsible breeders of different breeds, this is why I get annoyed with irresponsible breeders. For example someone who will take 8 litters off a bitch, then give her away, cos she's of no use anymore.
Now I don't care what anyone says, that is cruel and money grabbing.!!

BINBOB
02-Nov-09, 19:44
Obviously a good owner/breeder, and i'm not tarring all breeders with the same brush, I know a lot of good responsible breeders of different breeds, this is why I get annoyed with irresponsible breeders. For example someone who will take 8 litters off a bitch, then give her away, cos she's of no use anymore.
Now I don't care what anyone says, that is cruel and money grabbing.!!

Have to agree with ur comment...do not expect a lot of kennel club registrations going on there then.Possibly the poor bitch was bred EVERY season.

When I bred cocker spaniels,had ONE litter per year..from different girls.
1 bitch had a litter of 5...another had 2 litters,another ,1 litter,another 2litters,thyen 2 girls each had 1 litter each.

All of these girls were much loved family pets,lived with us till the day they died.I would NEVER have parted with my girls and still have 3 retired girls aged 12,8,and nearly 10.
I always told owners we were there for the lifetime of their puppies.....and beyond.I now help owners who have lost the puppy I bred to source a new cocker.
All of my girls lived in the house and puppies were reared in the house.....that is the way I liked and preferred todo my breeding.I also took back any puppy requiring that service without judgement.

In every breed,in every litter there will be a problem..some extreme...some less so.My puppies were no exception to this rule........skin problems,eye problems etc would arise.these are very common in cockers............and although I outbred ,thses issues still arose.:(

GruesomeTwosome
03-Nov-09, 19:36
Part of my dogs food allergies affected her ears and her feet, all her nails actually had to be removed at one point it was awful for her, Have you had allergy tests done to rule this out?

That must have been awful for you and your dog, i'm so sorry.

He is allergic to dust mites. The vet has suggested many different treatments, most being uncomfortable, expensive and no guarantee whatsoever they will work. I am going to carry on with the treatment he is on. His diet is another issue, being quite carefully bred his digestion is dodgy too. I had him on james wellbeloved for the last 3 years which was fine but he has become intolerant to it and has suffered quite a bit and lost a tremendous amount of weight (due to severe dihorria (spelling?? sorry)) The vet recommended feeding him chappie dog food which I am and is agreeing with him.

The CKC reference - sorry, I dont know enough about them to comment on their breeding in the world. It is just so heartbreaking for owners to see their dogs suffer with diseases. Surely in the CKC case more screening of the breeding bitches could help rid them of this inherited diseases.

unicorn
03-Nov-09, 20:02
Mine could only eat dry food, I found she went well on wafcol salmon and potato sensitivity. Anything that was fish and potato semolina etc she would cope with but otherwise it was awful. She literally could not even take a crisp etc off the floor if it was dropped.
I would have loved another boxer but after hving 2 that had multiple life altering issues I could never do it again. Maybe one day people will try to breed for health as opposed to only breed standards.

m47mat
23-Oct-13, 14:56
what breed of dog have u got

linnie612
23-Oct-13, 15:17
This thread is 3 years old!!

caithgal
26-Oct-13, 09:07
Old it may be but still very relevant

unicorn
28-Oct-13, 22:31
Mine was a boxer