PDA

View Full Version : mouse traps

Dadie
28-Oct-09, 20:26
What do you use in yours?

We are having great success with using snickers in ours!

They cannot resist :lol:

Its that time of year again the mices are coming in or are getting brought in by the cat.

Rebaited and replaced tonight!

ClachanHope
28-Oct-09, 20:33
Jam is also good in the traps, I've found that cheese is useless as once it goes hard they are not interested in it.
MOst sweet things attract them, or if you're a friend of miced and don't want to kill them you can buy a thing that plugs into a socket and gives off a sound that deters the mice.

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 20:49
But be careful with the plug ins is you have pet rodents or rabbits as they can also affest them.

achingale
28-Oct-09, 21:22
We use snickers too. They seem to love it as their last meal...:lol:

ShelleyCowie
28-Oct-09, 21:35
The only mice i have seen are the ones Fintan or Brenon takes back from their adventures. Well its either mice, voles or birds!

Ugh! Poor little things :(

redeyedtreefrog
28-Oct-09, 21:56
Chocolate raisins are good, you get a lot of them for a low price :D

Dadie
28-Oct-09, 22:00
But with a snickers bar approx 90% is left after baiting the traps which needs "help" to disappear!:D

I dont like chocolate raisins..

mumof2
28-Oct-09, 22:55
ha ha get a proper cat that kills the blooming mice! or set iona on them that'd be a great game for her.

Dadie
28-Oct-09, 23:02
Poor Iona, she loves her ratty.... dont want to worm and frontline the kids as well as the cat and dog....Iona would stuff the mouse in her mouth given half a chance:lol:

davie
28-Oct-09, 23:07
You are all a bunch of fusom cyards - trying to kill the poor meeces indeed !.

The poor wee things are only trying to find somewhere warm to bring up their families families families families.

Butter works well out here - the first meece bit the dust last night.

dirdyweeker
29-Oct-09, 00:22
The poor wee things are only trying to find somewhere warm to bring up their families families families families

Nae sleekit, cowerin', timorous beasties allowed indoors here. They ate all my Xmas chocolates one year! My family were the ones to suffer. Chocolate does the trick for them and me!

Bill Fernie
29-Oct-09, 08:21
last winter we caught around 20 mice over a few weeks at the start of winter. We used humane traps using peanut butter which seemed irresistable. We checked them each day and released them into the field opposite the house. It did seem that one was oing round and round - hard to tell.

ClachanHope
29-Oct-09, 08:23
But be careful with the plug ins is you have pet rodents or rabbits as they can also affest them.

Never thought about that, good advice, Unicorn

achingale
29-Oct-09, 11:45
last winter we caught around 20 mice over a few weeks at the start of winter. We used humane traps using peanut butter which seemed irresistable. We checked them each day and released them into the field opposite the house. It did seem that one was oing round and round - hard to tell.

My in-laws use these and a few years ago they checked the trap every day for a week but there was nothing in it then they forgot about it. Three weeks later they could smell something. Poor wee mouse had starved to death in the humane trap!:roll:

Liz
29-Oct-09, 13:44

Good for you for catching 20 mice the humane way Bill.:D
We use humane traps as well and will try peanut butter.
We take the mice we capture for a wee sail in the car and then release them. Like you, we did wonder whether we were capturing and releasing the same ones!:lol:

My in-laws use these and a few years ago they checked the trap every day for a week but there was nothing in it then they forgot about it. Three weeks later they could smell something. Poor wee mouse had starved to death in the humane trap!

Aw poor wee thing. Yes you do have to make sure you check them regularly and close them up when you can't.

We haven't had any mice in the house since getting a plug in device which works on the wiring of the house as well.
Some are better than others though as had another one and I came into the kitchen one morning to find a wee moose eyeballing me from the top of the door curtain!
I went to get steps to catch it and it literally flew onto the worktop and ran to hide!
Got a new plug in and it disappeared thankfully.

teenybash
29-Oct-09, 13:52
I must say I love little meeces and would not have the heart to kill them.....look at the wonderful childrens tales that have been written about the humble mouse. Beatrix Potter, it is said, would scatter crumbs in front of the fire and then sit quietly as the little furries came to nibble and that is where her lovely drawings and stories came from.

Any traps I found in the house, placed there by oh, would be broken and binned.

Never had a problem with them nibbling or causing a problem.:)

Hoida
29-Oct-09, 14:30
They seem to love mars bars:roll:

Kathy@watten
29-Oct-09, 15:32
Oh dear Bill prob caught one mousey 20 times with his humane trap, mice soon learn to come in get fed and have a warm night and then be carefully popped back out by the kindly man just to pop back in again at night and repeat the process! that will have been one well fed mousey.

unicorn
29-Oct-09, 19:23
They say you should release live mice about 2 miles away.

davie
29-Oct-09, 19:58
They say you should release live mice about 2 miles away.

I would not go two miles when the neighbour's letter box is 25 Feet away

Rheghead
29-Oct-09, 23:24
Call me cruel but I used to train my cat to catch mice. I got a humane trap and baited it with Mars bar, when I got a mouse then I used to take the trap, mouse and cat out to the patio and let the mice out and watch the ensuing chase. After a while the cat realised that catching mice was the only game in town and the patio and drive was littered with mice, so much so that the neighbour commented on how he'd noticed a drop in mice sightings that year. Sadly we have no cat anymore, I would love another but we've lost them to the road etc and my OH can't bare to lose another.:~(

silverfox57
30-Oct-09, 15:58
last two weeks we are are catching two to three mice every day,
same every year in late oct early nov,small price to pay for living out off town.

Olin
30-Oct-09, 16:01
I hate the traps that kill mice!

I seen a video of mice and sometimes birds stuck on the glue traps and I think it is one of the most hard to watch things I have ever seen!

So inhumane its unbelievable!

=[

Dadie
01-Nov-09, 20:56
No glue traps used here!
Just the snappy crocodile type that gets them dead good!

WeeBurd
01-Nov-09, 21:13
We caught our first one of the season last night, a bit of Mars Bar did the trick ;).

Stavro
01-Nov-09, 22:07
I hate the traps that kill mice!

I seen a video of mice and sometimes birds stuck on the glue traps and I think it is one of the most hard to watch things I have ever seen!

So inhumane its unbelievable!

=[

Absolutely agree. So cruel, so needless.

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 22:37
No glue traps used here!
Just the snappy crocodile type that gets them dead good!

We had one of those crocodile type rat traps because I once had a particularly naughty and persistent rat on the farm that was chewing through the electric wires in the cake feeders for the cows in the parlour.:mad:

It was a very powerful trap and when I tried to set it, I dropped a small object on to the bait plate to see if it set it off, (a little plastic milk sample container) and it just sat there on the plate without triggering the mechanism.
I went to pick the bottle off the plate, AND WACK,:eek: it got me, cutting all my fingers and I did four laps of the farm screaming while simultaneously trying to get it off my hand.

The next day the the milk collection driver asked me why I had a plaster on each of my fingers and a very bruised hand, I can't believe how stupid I was to actulay show him step by step what I did and got my other hand caught in the trap.:eek:

The joke even made the parish magazine.

Dadie
01-Nov-09, 22:45
Bet that made wiping your bum difficult for a while:lol:

Kevin Milkins
01-Nov-09, 22:48
Bet that made wiping your bum difficult for a while:lol:

LOL, for once I am speechless.

sweetpea
01-Nov-09, 22:54
I had mice once and they ate all my suitcases and put holes in my fruit! Must admit I just let them crack on with it:roll: didn't lay traps as I'm a chicken for emptying them,lol.

Invisible
01-Nov-09, 23:01
I use jam

or Philadelphia cheese anything but proper cheese (such a waste)