PDA

View Full Version : Northen lights tonight @10pm

Mr P Cannop
28-Oct-09, 20:13
just to let you all know that there might be a northen lights show tonight if the skys stay clear @ 10pm

DarkAngel
28-Oct-09, 20:23
Lovely..
Where Is The best Location To See This?

ClachanHope
28-Oct-09, 20:34
Lovely..
Where Is The best Location To See This?
As far north as you can get and away from light pollution.

Mr P Cannop
28-Oct-09, 20:37
sorry folks just had an email to say false alert stand down please not going to happen now sorry

Stingray
28-Oct-09, 20:37
Where did you get that information from? Or is the emphasis on the word "Might";):lol:

Mr P Cannop
28-Oct-09, 20:38
from a friend on twitter

northener
28-Oct-09, 20:45
just to let you all know that there might be a northen lights show tonight if the skys stay clear @ 10pm

I've looked on Freeview and can't find a listing.

Is it just on Sky?

kas
28-Oct-09, 21:01

Is it just on Sky?

Now that made me laugh.:lol::lol:

Cheers for the heads up anyway Paul. Not seen a decent showing now for years. Remember about twenty years back when we were kids there were brilliant showings, however the solar activity should increase over the next few years again I am told. 25 year cycles or something.

Mr P Cannop
28-Oct-09, 21:08
outside......

Mr P Cannop
28-Oct-09, 21:37
sorry had another message to say its back on look outside about 10pm tonight

ShelleyCowie
28-Oct-09, 21:55
em is it on or not?

Vistravi
28-Oct-09, 22:14
If it is on tonight then i'm sad that i won't see it. I have no way atm to get out to the outskirts of ness to see the stars.

I do miss seeing the stars. Ness is just too lit up to see any. I miss looking up and seeing millions of them. It's one of the many things i enjoy seeing when i go up to caithness to see my family.

I think the country would suit me well, love the stars and don't mind the pitch black lol :lol:

Mr P Cannop
28-Oct-09, 22:15
sorry its not going to happen sorry am getting mixed messages

ShelleyCowie
28-Oct-09, 22:20

im just gonna take that as the final answer then. :roll:

upolian
28-Oct-09, 22:57
what light?no bad yoursel..

so is it happening:roll:

davie
28-Oct-09, 23:02

Is it just on Sky?

Its on Sky Ch 935. You cheapskates on Freeview wont get it.

butterfly
28-Oct-09, 23:03

sorry folks just had an email to say false alert stand down please not going to happen now sorry

sorry had another message to say its back on look outside about 10pm tonight

I think someone is taking the p with you Mr C ![lol]

DarkAngel
28-Oct-09, 23:08
Well Its now 10.10pm....
Was Ther a Show Lol :lol:

upolian
28-Oct-09, 23:10
i seen a street light when i landed on ma erse:lol:

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 23:15
I did see summat over the horizon but I think it was the northerner lights trying to keep the Portgower vampires at bay.

Leanne
28-Oct-09, 23:15
Too cloudy in Watten

upolian
28-Oct-09, 23:24
Too cloudy in Watten
seems theres always a cloud out here:~(

Mystical Potato Head
28-Oct-09, 23:40
Now that made me laugh.:lol::lol:

Cheers for the heads up anyway Paul. Not seen a decent showing now for years. Remember about twenty years back when we were kids there were brilliant showings, however the solar activity should increase over the next few years again I am told. 25 year cycles or something.

Its about every 11 years,the last solar maximum was 2001 so it should peak again around 2012 so activity should steadily increase over the next few years especially as the experts are saying this will be the most intense maximum for 50 years.
Space weather.com is a good site for informing you about solar flares and geomagnetic activity and is usually pretty accurate for its aurora forecasts.obviously not run by the Met office.:)
http://spaceweather.com/

ShelleyCowie
29-Oct-09, 00:08
Its about every 11 years,the last solar maximum was 2001 so it should peak again around 2012 so activity should steadily increase over the next few years especially as the experts are saying this will be the most intense maximum for 50 years.
Space weather.com is a good site for informing you about solar flares and geomagnetic activity and is usually pretty accurate for its aurora forecasts.obviously not run by the Met office.:)
http://spaceweather.com/

Thanks for clearing it up! :Razz

young_fishin_neep
29-Oct-09, 00:38

id pay to see that :p

xx

Mik.M.
29-Oct-09, 05:28
I did see summat over the horizon but I think it was the northerner lights trying to keep the Portgower vampires at bay.
Or did his cooking fat catch light?

DarkAngel
29-Oct-09, 05:49

Lol... hope yer Erse is alrite lol :lol::eek:

cazmanian_minx
29-Oct-09, 08:47
If you want a heads up of when you're likely to see the Northern Lights, Aurora Watch will email you - it's a project at Lancaster University:

http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/

Yesterday they sent out a false alarm due to man-made disturbance at their Lancaster field site.

northener
29-Oct-09, 11:04
....due to man-made disturbance at their Lancaster field site.

Probably my mate Julian.....

Mik.M.
29-Oct-09, 11:48
If you want a heads up of when you're likely to see the Northern Lights, Aurora Watch will email you - it's a project at Lancaster University:

Yesterday they sent out a false alarm due to man-made disturbance at their Lancaster field site.
Thanks for the link caz,all signed up.Mik.

upolian
29-Oct-09, 11:49
Or did his cooking fat catch light?

[lol][lol]

Martin England
29-Oct-09, 15:45

Thanks for posting link, now registered and await emails

Martin

riggerboy
29-Oct-09, 17:01
if you missed upolian landing on his erse theres a re-run on bbc2

as for the northern lights when are they happening ????

nightspirit
29-Oct-09, 17:30
If you go to this site you can sign up and get an email when ther is any solar activity that may give us a light show,