PDA

View Full Version : Absent friends

Gleber2
13-Apr-06, 15:33
Why are we losing some of the most interesting posters all of a sudden. Who'se got a God complex? DW, Landmarker, Wickerinca and the rest. Why have they gone. Maybe Fred's right and it's all a conspiracy.
Who will be next on the Pogrom? Who is removing threads and why? Who has a Hitler complex? Is it human or is it a computer?[evil] [evil]

cuddlepop
13-Apr-06, 20:35
Maybe their on holiday?:confused:

Loafer
13-Apr-06, 20:37
Everyone gets bored doing the same things all the time. And I suppose some have a life too, eh??

Everyone gets bored doing the same things all the time. And I suppose some have a life too, eh??

The Loafer

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 20:54
Shhhhh Gleber2 or they''ll get you to.

sam
13-Apr-06, 20:58
Why are we losing some of the most interesting posters all of a sudden. Who'se got a God complex? DW, Landmarker, Wickerinca and the rest. Why have they gone. Maybe Fred's right and it's all a conspiracy.
Who will be next on the Pogrom? Who is removing threads and why? Who has a Hitler complex? Is it human or is it a computer?[evil] [evil]

why dont you ask them next time you are on the free thinkers site lol

mareng
13-Apr-06, 21:11

I suspect they look at posts like "How do you eat a Creme Egg?" , "What music are you listening to?" and "how do you eat Tortilla Chips?" and think - "I'm not even going to touch that one"

Let's face it - hardly debating society fodder.

ice box
13-Apr-06, 21:12
yes it get a bit tedious going on about the same thing the whole time like dead cats and so on . and d w is suspended wickerinca as got her account dismantled

mareng
13-Apr-06, 21:19
Oh no! Now they are voting on how good the "What music are you listening to" thread! (and it is doing well)

I think I'll start one:

"How well do you think you are supporting your local music shops?"

Gleber2
13-Apr-06, 21:52
Oh no! Now they are voting on how good the "What music are you listening to" thread! (and it is doing well)

I think I'll start one:

Ah tink thee an me see eye to eye.

Pultnytooner, Read my lips, I don't care. Bring it on!!!!!

I know about Wickerina and Landmarker but I don't know what DW has done to deserve exile.
I just wonder why it is the outspoken posters who are gettin chopped, and why threads with a sensible approach to the divisions and problems in this Forum are getting pulled for no apparent reason.

I must agree with Marenq and find the threads being swamped with mundanety .
Sam, the other site is boring because everybody agrees with you.:D

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 22:03
Okay, I've read those cyber lips;), bring what, on?

Gleber2
13-Apr-06, 22:08
Okay, I've read those cyber lips;), bring what, on?

Whatever it may be. Thanks for the metion in the other place. Fellow traitor.

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 22:12
You are most welcome.

exweeker
13-Apr-06, 22:17
Why are we losing some of the most interesting posters all of a sudden.

i would say the admin has got wise to all you ppl that use that kind of threads to abuse other users in the last few weeks their has been about 5 users that have been stretching the string now it has broke and your calling foul

admin are doing a good job but they have not got the time to read all the posts put up bye you ppl that got nothing better to do than look for some thread thats you can comment on in a bad way and admin also know its better to get rid of all the idiots and keep a happy board their easy counted too all on one hand

keep up the good work admin theirs more good users on here than bad ones hiding behind a name on a screen

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 22:24
So, exweeker, all the members mentioned by gleber2 are troublemakers?
Pretty sweeping statement there, not very true but hey, as someone once said, "never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn".

mareng
13-Apr-06, 22:37
Ah tink thee an me see eye to eye.

Pultnytooner, Read my lips, I don't care. Bring it on!!!!!

I know about Wickerina and Landmarker but I don't know what DW has done to deserve exile.
I just wonder why it is the outspoken posters who are gettin chopped, and why threads with a sensible approach to the divisions and problems in this Forum are getting pulled for no apparent reason.

I must agree with Marenq and find the threads being swamped with mundanety .
Sam, the other site is boring because everybody agrees with you.:D

Oh - thank you........... I thought it was just me!

Now.... I like to steal my creme eggs from Woolworths.................. Aarrggh- just kidding!

Mareng

mareng
13-Apr-06, 22:44

i would say the admin has got wise to all you ppl that use that kind of threads to abuse other users in the last few weeks their has been about 5 users that have been stretching the string now it has broke and your calling foul

admin are doing a good job but they have not got the time to read all the posts put up bye you ppl that got nothing better to do than look for some thread thats you can comment on in a bad way and admin also know its better to get rid of all the idiots and keep a happy board their easy counted too all on one hand

keep up the good work admin theirs more good users on here than bad ones hiding behind a name on a screen

"Happy board"? oh ple-e-ase!

We're looking for STIMULATION, not "wasn't that a lovely cup of tea"

Expect disagreement - look for it and think about it, if you then agree - say so.............and if you don't........ say that too! But don't tell the world how you eat your Cadbury Cream Egg!!!!

The world will only flood you with Cream Egg shops! (Reference to another thread/crusade of mine)

Mareng

Gleber2
13-Apr-06, 22:47
Oh - thank you........... I thought it was just me!

Now.... I like to steal my creme eggs from Woolworths.................. Aarrggh- just kidding!

Mareng

I asked some-one how he ate his and he replied "Wi a dead cat" and I had to tell him that was too much to post.

golach
13-Apr-06, 22:59

As I see it this is The Caithness Community Web site, not the gleber2 fan club, or any other individuals personal debating chamber, if the rules that are set by the Administrators is not adhered to then your suspended or banned, we are mostly adults in here, though sometimes I do wonder, the way that so called adults act like spoilt brats. Obey the simple enough rules that you all are reminded of frequently, or is it in the nature of a few in here to try and push the Admin to get banned, then scream Conspiracy. So if fred is right and it is a conspiracy, so what, the Admin have a hard enough job to make this a prize winning web site.

MadPict
13-Apr-06, 23:01

I think I'll start one:

Seems some folk need to take a heed of the advice if you don't like it, don't read it.

A thread in a similar vein got 300 replies and over 4000 views and was never off the front page of the forum index until it got lost in a database crash.
So I'd rather see what others are listening to and maybe pick up a new artist than read endless vapid posts about Homebase not giving 10% off or the chuffing next thing I can have in my toasted sandwich or the state of shops in Wick/Thurso or post about some loon walking around naked!!!!

As to why people are drifting away? I think its the fact that posts are just BORING - we used to have intelligent discussions, and some heated ones at that, on this forum but it seems the ability to even start a semi intelligent thread has been lost on some people.

I think I will join the "missing" in whatever place they have gone to.

[mad] [mad]

Sporran
13-Apr-06, 23:22

Mareng, MadPict is right, the similar thread he started on one of the previous Caithness.org messageboards was extremely popular, and we had a lot of interesting contributions to it, by lots of different posters. We even had an Australian guy contribute to it on a regular basis. He had no Caithness connections, but he enjoyed reading and exchanging music interests with the rest of us. As a result of MadPict's music thread, I ended up listening to some artists I might otherwise have overlooked - and for that I thank him!

mareng
13-Apr-06, 23:25
Seems some folk need to take a heed of the advice if you don't like it, don't read it.

A thread in a similar vein got 300 replies and over 4000 views and was never off the front page of the forum index until it got lost in a database crash.
So I'd rather see what others are listening to and maybe pick up a new artist than read endless vapid posts about Homebase not giving 10% off or the chuffing next thing I can have in my toasted sandwich or the state of shops in Wick/Thurso or post about some loon walking around naked!!!!

As to why people are drifting away? I think its the fact that posts are just BORING - we used to have intelligent discussions, and some heated ones at that, on this forum but it seems the ability to even start a semi intelligent thread has been lost on some people.

[mad] [mad]

Big Brother is popular - doesn't make it "clever" (just banal)

"Don't read it" progresses to "Don't reply/respond to it"

Sorry - music is individual, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla (ooh - and strawberry).
Reading that "Wick-Fella" is listening to "SoftWhiteUnderbelly" doesn't really stir much stimulation, to be honest.

So, to tortillas..................does anyone else eat them on Poptarts?
Shoot me now! (rhetorical)

Mareng.

acameron
13-Apr-06, 23:38
If your not happy with the posts in here dont read them or start your own thread on http://www.ivegotahugechiponmyshoulder.com/

Have a coke and smile mate

Gleber2
13-Apr-06, 23:54

[mad] [mad]

It's not the people who are drifting away that is the problem. It's those that have no choice. The intelligent discussions are the ones that attract attention and normally one can expect to be able to join in one or two. I don't think that anyone who enjoys only the intelligent threads ever really complains about the 80% or more that are of the more mundane . However this is not reciprocated when an abrasive arguement gets shot down by the rest. Good debate sometimes needs to get heated but it does not need to get offensive and personal as it all too frequently gets on this forum. The place where the missing go is a bit boring because we all agree with eveyone else. Our numbers are growing though, come on board.
Golach, do not confuse my ego with yours. It is you who boasts about having more support than I on this board. Don't you like competition?

mareng
14-Apr-06, 00:02
It's not the people who are drifting away that is the problem. It's those that have no choice. The intelligent discussions are the ones that attract attention and normally one can expect to be able to join in one or two. I don't think that anyone who enjoys only the intelligent threads ever really complains about the 80% or more that are of the more mundane . However this is not reciprocated when an abrasive arguement gets shot down by the rest. Good debate sometimes needs to get heated but it does not need to get offensive and personal as it all too frequently gets on this forum. The place where the missing go is a bit boring because we all agree with eveyone else. Or numbers are growing though, come on board.
Golach, do not confuse my ego with yours. It is you who boasts about having more support than I on this board. Don't you like competition?

Exactly - Surely that is what forums are for - not for telling everyone how long it took you to wash the dishes and querying if they did it any quicker?

Should the moderators have feedback categories for purile drivel?

Mareng

scorrie
14-Apr-06, 00:09
As I see it this is The Caithness Community Web site, not the gleber2 fan club, or any other individuals personal debating chamber, if the rules that are set by the Administrators is not adhered to then your suspended or banned, we are mostly adults in here, though sometimes I do wonder, the way that so called adults act like spoilt brats. Obey the simple enough rules that you all are reminded of frequently, or is it in the nature of a few in here to try and push the Admin to get banned, then scream Conspiracy. So if fred is right and it is a conspiracy, so what, the Admin have a hard enough job to make this a prize winning web site.

You are right on the money Golach. The way some people go on about what is mundane and what is interesting would almost suggest that potential posters here need to sit an IQ test to see if their input is going to be stimulating enough for the highbrow users of this site. If the sole purpose is to be mentally stimulated then there are many other boards to visit. Equally it is clear that there are boards out there that let you exercise your full freedom to call your sparring partner anything you want and to threaten them with violence. If that be your goal then why linger here?

I suspect that there is a certain element of trying to be a big fish in a small pond, rather than a sprat in a bigger body of water, behind the reasons why some stay here despite the "tough" moderating. Time after time people are told simply to ignore the offending posts and on and on people claim not to be breaking any site rules. The moderators here have an impossible job in trying to keep everyone happy, it simply cannot be done. Their life could be so much easier if people would be mature enough and courteous enough to use their common sense and realise when the line has been over-stepped. Instead the attitude is "up yours, I'll say what I like and I'll continue to invade every thread with juvenile "banter" to make the point"

When it gets to the stage of schoolteachers in their 50's acting like teenagers and Whacky Racists threatening their neighbours with violence and asking other members to visit another site for a verbal "square go" then I don't think it is unreasonable to say that such behaviour is unacceptable.

Anyway, I'm off this board from now on and will leave it to the more stimulating users. I'll still visit the quiz when I can in order to keep my mundane brain tuned up. Thanks to everyone who left kind comments and pulled me up to sixth in the rep rankings, I'll never know whether I would have qualified for Europe next season now ;o)

Not a religious man I will however paraphrase part of Luke 4:23 as advice.

"Teacher, educate thyself"

Bye.

ice box
14-Apr-06, 00:17
First of all well said golach this is an award winning forum and let keep it up .

And like they say if you don't like it don't look at it no one is forcing you . I think some people just come on here to complain about threads just coz it doesn't suit them and have no interest in. So they just grumble about other peoples opinions that is what this forum is all about people expressing there opinions .

Chobbersjnr
14-Apr-06, 00:37
First of all well said golach this is an award winning forum and let keep it up .

And like they say if you don't like it don't look at it no one is forcing you . I think some people just come on here to complain about threads just coz it doesn't suit them and have no interest in. So they just grumble about other peoples opinions that is what this forum is all about people expressing there opinions .

freedom to express opinions, as long as it doesn't go against the mafia (sorry the clique, no no the golach club)

I'd better go I'll be getting banned for nothing shortly

ice box
14-Apr-06, 00:46
freedom to express opinions, as long as it doesn't go against the mafia (sorry the clique, no no the golach club)

I didnt know there was a golch club iam i missing out on something

Mm the mafia who was the mafia against now let me think ?????

MadPict
14-Apr-06, 00:49
And like they say if you don't like it don't look at it no one is forcing you.

Hmmmmmmm.......

The same thing on an on an on . (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=80876#post80876)
[mad]

ice box
14-Apr-06, 00:53
Hmmmmmmm.......

[mad]
yes madpict the same music on an on an on

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 01:00
It's not the people who are drifting away that is the problem. It's those that have no choice. The intelligent discussions are the ones that attract attention and normally one can expect to be able to join in one or two. I don't think that anyone who enjoys only the intelligent threads ever really complains about the 80% or more that are of the more mundane . However this is not reciprocated when an abrasive arguement gets shot down by the rest. Good debate sometimes needs to get heated but it does not need to get offensive and personal as it all too frequently gets on this forum. The place where the missing go is a bit boring because we all agree with eveyone else. Our numbers are growing though, come on board.

You'll note that I pointed out that those who find a post mundane are not putting anyone down and rarely complain about it. We are all at liberty to say what we want provided we don't break the rules. This includes making observations about the subject matter of the threads.
However, this thread was started, not to complain, but to ask why. and so far, it is only those who feel their intellect threatened that come on and completely misconstrue what is being said to start of with. I used to enjoy Landmaker because his views were different and created heated debate which all too soon got made into a fight, I enjoyed DW because he could make me laugh and I enjoyed Wickerinca's posts because she was open to new ideas and was not afraid to learn. The Forum is bare without them.
All one hears now is sage advice telling us not to read posts if one doesn't like the subject. I don't. If we don't like it, we can leave. That's true, one can. But what has made this an award winning Site? It was the spirited debates on subjects that are important and the intellect of those participating. So many of these afore mentioned people are gone or no longer post because of the pointless bickering promulgated by so many backbiting people who cannot seem to see beyond their prejudices.Statusquoism is fine but life is change and it is by pushing the level of our understanding that we progress.

ice box
14-Apr-06, 01:09
You injoyed dw posts slagging off peoples dead cats what ever makes your world go round .

Sporran
14-Apr-06, 01:34
yes madpict the same music on an on an on

I beg to differ with you on that, ice box! My music interests are varied, and my posts on "What music are you listening to?" reflect that.

JAWS
14-Apr-06, 01:34
yes it get a bit tedious going on about the same thing the whole time like dead cats and so on . and d w is suspended wickerinca as got her account dismantled
I've no doubt it will continue to be just as tedious with lost cats and found cats and dead cats and 'hot-tin roof' cats and 'on the tile cats' and hip cats (anybody old enough to remember them?) and Coronation Street cats.

I suspect a lot posters are very quiet at the moment because it's made them go catatonic.

The only cats I care about were the ones I could run over in the road.
The ones with the little sparkling diamond eyes. Buh-dum, buh-dum, buh-dum!
Once managed over a hundred before I missed hitting one.

They've even put an end to that part of life's little pleasures, the silly new plastic ones give nowhere near as much satisfaction.
Tusk, tusk, what a pity, and I thought I was having a bad time when they put a stop to my constant search for little pink elephants.
That's a sobering thought at any time of day!

ice box
14-Apr-06, 01:51
I beg to differ with you on that, ice box! My music interests are varied, and my posts on "What music are you listening to?" reflect that.Call me boring but i mean i listen a few cds over and over again

faith hill breathless

garth brooks ropin wind

dixi chicks

Chobbersjnr
14-Apr-06, 02:47
I've no doubt it will continue to be just as tedious with lost cats and found cats and dead cats and 'hot-tin roof' cats and 'on the tile cats' and hip cats (anybody old enough to remember them?) and Coronation Street cats.

I suspect a lot posters are very quiet at the moment because it's made them go catatonic.

They've even put an end to that part of life's little pleasures, the silly new plastic ones give nowhere near as much satisfaction.
Tusk, tusk, what a pity, and I thought I was having a bad time when they put a stop to my constant search for little pink elephants.
That's a sobering thought at any time of day!

yeeha catastrophically well trumpetted (did I spell that right )

I was banned for a while & spent the time watching what was happening, it has been fun to read, interesting & sometimes absolutely hilarious. Recently it all seems quiet & tame (I guess because all the radical posters are getting banned, or getting harranged to the point of puterside) & just as I get back round to posting it all gets to nice & polite zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

JAWS--I hate it when you are drinking juice in a car & the driver runs over cats in the road, most frustrating:Razz

I'm off to my trunk............................dream about the dentist:cry:

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 03:22
[quote=JAWS]I've no doubt it will continue to be just as tedious with lost cats and found cats and dead cats and 'hot-tin roof' cats and 'on the tile cats' and hip cats (anybody old enough to remember them?) and Coronation Street cats.

How dare you take over my thread with all this about cats!! Haven't we had enough of cats? Has it not been decided by all and sundry that cats are a dead subject? We can't talk about cats or elephants, the Brain Police have decreed. Dead cats are a serious business. Perhaps we should talk about dead cows, dead pigs, dead sheep, dead chickens, dead ducks, dead geese,
dead turkeys, dead game birds, dead deer, dead fish and all the other of God's creatures which are killed daily to feed the carnivorous ways of the majority who are whining about dead cats. How easy it is to miss the point and whine and in the process, completely twist every statement to augment the whine.
There seems to be a growing number of posters who object to humour, object to revolutionary thinking, object to a challenging of the status quo and object to those who challenge that status quo and object to me. Too bad. To change a system that is wrong, that system must be challenged and those who do not go along with challenge should give a seasoned argument against it. Not immediately scream that the challenge is wrong because you don't agree with it.
I like to reply to posts with the feeling they create in me and a seasoned debate is replied to in a calm way. If I am attacked then I will defend in the same mode with which I was attacked. If you can't take it, don't hand it out.
Icebox, your choice of repeat CD's says a lot!!

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 03:27
Hmmmmmmm.......

[mad]

Mad Pict, I wonder how many people zone in your ever moving signature and realise the depth and humour in them. You brother in Orcland would be proud of you.

sjwahwah
14-Apr-06, 03:47
.....tell them as it is or don't tell them at all.....

sjwahwah
14-Apr-06, 03:49
:) (btw..... WAY cheeky grin!) (( you'd think I was fae glasgae wi all the btw stuff ay?))

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 03:52
:) (btw..... WAY cheeky grin!) (( you'd think I was fae glasgae wi all the btw stuff ay?))

Shouldn't that be BTWB if your'e from Glagow? You can't ignore the but.:o

sjwahwah
14-Apr-06, 04:47
aye.. yer pure bang oan, but!

JAWS
14-Apr-06, 05:37
I like the bits about childishness and fifty year old teenagers. At last, somebody has seen through me.

I was once told that I'd never grown up, they were wrong.
I tried it once but it was horrible so I never tried it again.

Somebody posted a comment about the huge increase in the numbers of people suffering from depression. They suggested a reason for this and got it a little wrong.

The biggest cause of depression is that we now take everything far too seriously and have lost the ability to laugh.
More especially the ability we have lost, which is the biggest cause of depression and many other mental conditions, is the ability to laugh at ourselves and to tolerate others joining in.

I suspect it was nicely summed up by the one time MP for Edinburgh, Thomas Babbington Macauley made the following observation in 1843,
“We know of no spectacle so ridiculous as the British public in one of it's periodical moods of morality.”

How right he was, how right he still is. It’s a pity to see how little we have changed.

sassylass
14-Apr-06, 07:14
Has anyone noticed the posters and topics on this site are cyclical? Only the names change. People find this site and enjoy it, participate in it, connect with some and feud with others. Some people get bored and check in once in awhile, some get upset and leave in a huff.

Over the years, there have been riotous quizzes, huge fracas and much thrashing interspersed with interesting conversation, followed by months of relative silence. Then folks start up again, new names amongst the old.

It's a very interesting little sub-culture.

golach
14-Apr-06, 08:52

Well seen your are your fathers son chobbersjr, but not nearly as interesting, or witty, sit beside him more often and learn from an expert. Name calling does not make you an adult. But keep trying your getting there. [lol]

badger
14-Apr-06, 10:33

[mad] [mad]

Have to agree with this. Went away for a few days, started browsing again when I got back and found very little that really made me want to get involved. I don't like it when it starts getting nasty but that shouldn't mean we can't have discussions about serious issues even if they get a bit heated sometimes. Tis also a question of time - can get sucked into these things and nothing else gets done, especially if spring is about to spring.

canuck
14-Apr-06, 13:16
Mad Pict, I wonder how many people zone in your ever moving signature and realise the depth and humour in them. You brother in Orcland would be proud of you.

I do. It's worth turning the computer on just to see what Madpict has created.

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 13:41
Well seen your are your fathers son chobbersjr, but not nearly as interesting, or witty, sit beside him more often and learn from an expert. Name calling does not make you an adult. But keep trying your getting there. [lol]

Take on someone your own age Mumpy[evil]

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 13:49

sit beside him...I'm sick o' it

& name calling:confused: I thought I was talking the truth or is it the Gleber2 club & anyway aren't you called golach, The other clique leader or is it the godfather

Golach, he is so thick that he didn't log me out and log himself in. I will apply the cane liberally and make sure it does not happen again.

Niall Fernie
14-Apr-06, 15:31
Firstly, let me deal with the assumptions regarding DW and Landmarker.

Landmarker was given a 30 day suspension for Word Masking (see the rules on Swearing)

DW was suspended as he just couldn't resist another puerile post on a cat related thread so was given a 7 day suspension (see the rules on Trolling)

Further assumptions should be confirmed/denied by private message to avoid further confusion.

For applying the rules that everyone has agreed to follow, the admins have been accused of having a god/hitler complex. I really wish now that we had managed to retain all the posts since day one of our original forum so that I could illustrate the point of recurring topics and repeated arguments. The beginning of this thread could almost have been a cut 'n' paste job.

Another assumption that is commonly held is that the admins have a dislike for certain users and their topics of discussion. I can assure you that this is not the case. We generally do not concern ourselves with the topics that users choose to discuss but we do however concern ourselves with how users conduct themselves in these conversations. If a user chooses not to follow the rules that they have agreed to, then they face suspension. As I have already said to Gleber2, we're not going to fight peoples' battles for them, but we're also not going to allow them to be walked all over by another user.

What a lot of people who use forums like this one do not seem to realise is that they are conversing with a large group of people that they would probably not have in their company in real life. I have read quite a number of post by users that do not seem to be equiped to deal with a person that holds an opinion diametrically opposed to their own as they are not likely to have had such a person in their conversation before. We receive complaints on that basis all the time where a user expresses disbelief at the opinion of another user and are so shocked that they feel we should remove the post/user from the website right away. This is where, I'm afraid, the posts of everyone are at the mercy of the moderator who has been contacted. We tend to remove threads that are of a racist nature (our tolerance for this may well be lower than some of our users) or threads that have decended in to a few users having a slagging match. We now also remove posts about football as a great deal of users have proven that they cannot maintain an adult level of behaviour on these threads. If the thread can be salvaged by removing posts, time permitting we prefer to do this before removal. In that respect we also have to consider our own workload, so if a post or user has generated a large number of complaints then we are less likely to look favourably when it comes to a point where we feel that action of some kind is required. If a user feels that it is fine to mock other users or the topics they choose to discuss and take pot shots at the admin for trying to keep the peace then they should not be surprised if the tolerance for their activities lessens to the point where they are simply suspended for any minor infraction of the rules.

A few users seem to think that we are here to provide for their every need. Whilst it's flattering to think that we are able, it is an impossible task. We would love to be able to provide a forum for every topic under the sun with a team of mederators for each, but then, what is the rest of the internet for?

I could complain that we don't get enough threads on PC hardware, Movies or Web Development, or I could just go an look for a forum that concentrates on those topics. By the very nature of Caithness.Org, the forum is a place where people with a Caithness connection can discuss issues that concern Caithness, the people that live here, the people that used to live here and so on. Our forum started with basically a General forum and as various topics began to be discussed more often we created a sub-forum to suit. We may well add a lost and found to ease the strain on the general forum as it seems that our forum has become a useful aid in the search for things that are lost or their owners. This could have been suggested in a more diplomatic manner than has been.

All in all, I feel that we are not doing anything that most people would not do if these conversations were happening in their own home. If two people were sitting in your living room having a childish argument, would you not feel like you should do something about it? If you had someone in your house making racist comments and swearing, would you let them continue?

Also, the statistics from the forum over the last 6 months (since the installation of our new system) would suggest that we are doing something right:

976 new users between 1st November 2005 and 31st March 2006 (fairly consistant Month to Month).

Our average registered users in one day (midnight to midnight) has increased:

1st Week in November 2005: 163 (high: 211 - low: 142)
Last week in March 2006: 332 (high: 363 - low: 277)

and the increase in threads/posts is very encouraging:

In November 2005 we had a total of 717 new threads and 6250 posts.
In March 2006 we had a total of 1030 new threads and 12011 posts.

golach
14-Apr-06, 15:52
sit beside him...I'm sick o' it

& name calling:confused: I thought I was talking the truth or is it the Gleber2 club & anyway aren't you called golach, The other clique leader or is it the godfather

Golach, he is so thick that he didn't log me out and log himself in. I will apply the cane liberally and make sure it does not happen again.
Bairns nowadays would never have lasted five minads at West Public in the 40's till 60's, ....so I agree you spared the rod and spoilt your child, but as anither chiel in here says, "Be kind to your Kids as its them that choose your nursing home" :lol:

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 19:22
Bairns nowadays would never have lasted five minads at West Public in the 40's till 60's, ....so I agree you spared the rod and spoilt your child, but as anither chiel in here says, "Be kind to your Kids as its them that choose your nursing home" :lol:

Aye,yur a wise owld geezer Mumpy.:)

Niall, I hear you, don't nescessary agree with you on all points but who am I,a comparative newcomer, to argue with you. Your points are noted and I cannot really pick on anything to question. So DW got to stand in the corner for a week????

fred
14-Apr-06, 19:51

I have never said anything about it all being a conspiracy, I don't remember commenting on why DW, Landmarker or Wickerina don't post anymore.

I have no time for people who try to control the forum by complaining to the moderators.

I have no time for people who try to control the forum by weight of numbers or weight of postings.

I have no time for people who try to control the forum by whinging.

I stay out of threads like this one, please don't drag me into them.

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 21:23
I have never said anything about it all being a conspiracy, I don't remember commenting on why DW, Landmarker or Wickerina don't post anymore.

I have no time for people who try to control the forum by complaining to the moderators.

I have no time for people who try to control the forum by weight of numbers or weight of postings.

No offence mate. I totally agree with you and once more my sense of humour seems to have been misunderstood. There was no attempt to drag you into it and I am a bit surprised that you bothered.I've no time for those that try to control anyone ar anything. That was the point, I think, of this thread. What I was saying was, perhaps life on Earth is one big conspiracy.

Niall Fernie
14-Apr-06, 22:06
Neither do we.

Neither do we.

Definately, neither do we.

I try as hard as I can to do the same but there comes a point where I do need to answer some questions and explain my position.

Niall, I hear you, don't nescessary agree with you on all points but who am I,a comparative newcomer, to argue with you.
I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me, however a little empathy goes a long way.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Apr-06, 22:52

I like reading about Creme Eggs.I like reading jokes.I like reading DW's posts about cats,because believe it or not,not everybody likes cats.I like the mellow threads that you can read and take it easy with a Cadburys Caramel.

If you want stimulating debate Gleber2,then start a thread with stimulating debate.

I'll stick to my fart jokes and all the local Caithness banter.

Gleber2
14-Apr-06, 23:50
I like reading about Creme Eggs.I like reading jokes.I like reading DW's posts about cats,because believe it or not,not everybody likes cats.I like the mellow threads that you can read and take it easy with a Cadburys Caramel.

If you want stimulating debate Gleber2,then start a thread with stimulating debate.

I'll stick to my fart jokes and all the local Caithness banter.

I have started threads which have stimulated debate and have enjoyed the cat jokes although I have two and really like the animals. Ah think Ah've jined in wi' a fair bit o' Caithness banter and I've never complained about your anal jokes(because I've never seen one).

I started this thread with a few questions,queries and a bit of humour.
The questions have, by some people, been answered and the humour overlooked. I will therefore say no more.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Apr-06, 23:57
I have started threads which have stimulated debate and have enjoyed the cat jokes although I have two and really like the animals. Ah think Ah've jined in wi' a fair bit o' Caithness banter and I've never complained about your anal jokes(because I've never seen one).

I started this thread with a few questions,queries and a bit of humour.
The questions have, by some people, been answered and the humour overlooked. I will therefore say no more.

You mentioned only three names in the first post in this thread.Folk that you like blethering to on the org,fair enough.But there's a lot of members on this org. who love to blether to one another on different topics and there's no need for ye to 'diss' them because ye find their threads 'less' interesting.:grin:

Gleber2
15-Apr-06, 01:58
You mentioned only three names in the first post in this thread.Folk that you like blethering to on the org,fair enough.But there's a lot of members on this org. who love to blether to one another on different topics and there's no need for ye to 'diss' them because ye find their threads 'less' interesting.:grin:

I have never at any time "dissed" anyone for their posts, mundane or otherwise My policy is to live and let live irregardless of my opinions and although I may have "dissed" a few threads, never their authors. What I don't want to read, I don't and consequently don't need to complain. Blether on, Cedric, and ye'll no bother me. Attack me just because you don't agree with me and I will gnash my new false teeth and steam in.I, of course ,speak in jest as I am sure you would'nt attack an old man. Would you????[lol]
BTW I mentione three names and the others. Indefinite number.

JAWS
15-Apr-06, 02:10

Stop it fred, that's twice in a couple of days I'm having to agree with you.

If you're carry on like that I'll end up with people thinking I'm turning into a nice person. :grin:

What I would probably have taken half a page to say, you have sumed up in a few lines.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Apr-06, 02:24
I have never at any time "dissed" anyone for their posts, mundane or otherwise My policy is to live and let live irregardless of my opinions and although I may have "dissed" a few threads, never their authors. What I don't want to read, I don't and consequently don't need to complain. Blether on, Cedric, and ye'll no bother me. Attack me just because you don't agree with me and I will gnash my new false teeth and steam in.I, of course ,speak in jest as I am sure you would'nt attack an old man. Would you????[lol]
BTW I mentione three names and the others. Indefinite number.

Hit an auld man,never!Gleber2 I'm not"attacking" you.Some of your posts,I agree with 100%,some of your posts 1%.This is a forum on a Community web-site,i.e Caithness Folk will blether about anything and onything........and also disagree.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Do me a little favour?.........Read your first post in this thread,and if you can honestly say that it doesn't sound that you are 'dissing' us other orgers,then I'm in the wrong.

JAWS
15-Apr-06, 02:45
Niall, I wonder if it would help matters if there was some way of indicating why a person has been suspended.

I suspect a lot of problems are created at the moment because when somebody gets suspended most people don't know why it has happened and people end up guessing, me included.

I don't know if it would make a lot of extra work for you all but if, instead of a person vanishing from the members list, they could be "locked out" and a short 'literal' added, say, "Suspended 1 week - Blanking swear word." or whatever the offence was.

Similarly, where somebody is, perhaps inadvertently, pushing their luck a bit far a pre-prepared PM could be fire off at them warning them to "back off".

If such ideas would take up too much time then put it straight in the bin.
On the other hand, if they could be done on a semi-automatic basis with a couple of key-strokes it might just save a lot of the guess work and questioning, some of which can't can't be easy on any of you.

Gleber2
15-Apr-06, 03:21
Hit an auld man,never!Gleber2 I'm not"attacking" you.Some of your posts,I agree with 100%,some of your posts 1%.This is a forum on a Community web-site,i.e Caithness Folk will blether about anything and onything........and also disagree.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Do me a little favour?.........Read your first post in this thread,and if you can honestly say that it doesn't sound that you are 'dissing' us other orgers,then I'm in the wrong.
Never suggested you were attacking me. and my family goes back to 1700 in Caithness so ye micht say that Ah ken Caithness fowk. I've scrutinised my first post and I can honestly say that I was getting at no-one in particular except who-ever or what-ever(human or computer) was causing people to leave, get suspended or whatever. If I have to stick to straight idiomatic English, devoid of innuendo and humour, then I am afraid I won't be posting much more as I would find that dull and boring. People tend to read what they want into the posts of this Forum and once you're steriotyped, that's it for eternity. I really don't care if there is a superabundance of 'mundane' threads as long as there are a few that I consider worth getting involved in and, of late, the latter have been few and far between. It is the absent friends that I miss because most of the threads I have found interesting have come from them. I am merely stating my opinion. Isn't that, as everyone tells me, what the Forum's for. Felines, pachyderms, flying pigs or chocolate eggs. It's all the same to me. When I do get petulantly attacked then I will come back at the perpetrator with plain English. The number of times I have seen posters vituperated because some poster or another has completely misread and misunderstood a post or has not seen that it was a joke. Live and let live and leave the bruised egos on the other side of the screen and we will all get on a lot better.
:grin:

golach
15-Apr-06, 11:11
Stop it fred, that's twice in a couple of days I'm having to agree with you.

If you're carry on like that I'll end up with people thinking I'm turning into a nice person. :grin:

What I would probably have taken half a page to say, you have sumed up in a few lines.
Ochon Ochon, Jaws quite the reverse, I am shocked and stunned that a poster of your caliber, who I have held in good stead, until now, has finally gone over to the dark side. :lol:

canuck
15-Apr-06, 14:40
Ochon Ochon, Jaws quite the reverse, I am shocked and stunned that a poster of your caliber, who I have held in good stead, until now, has finally gone over to the dark side. :lol:

Ochon, Ochon, Golach quite the reverse, this dark side of niceness is really quite bright. It is a very pleasant place to be.

Bingobabe
15-Apr-06, 15:36

keep up the good work admin theirs more good users on here than bad ones hiding behind a name on a screenThe people who are missing from the org did liven it up so hopefully they will return. And i dont belive them to be idoits just because they have a diffrence of opion and if you call them idoits because of this you lead a sheltered life.And if you dont like what they have to say maybe you should become an ex orger rather than wicker.

Niall Fernie
15-Apr-06, 18:49
Jaws, I'm hesitant to make an announcement or draw attention to the fact that someone has been suspended. Also, adjusting the system to display the reasons for someone's ban would take a lot more time than its worth. We have so few people under suspension and have to suspend such a small number of users it would seem like a poor use of time. The suspension of a user is not secret, obviously its displayed next to their username, neither is the reason. However in most cases very few people care what the reason is, or most people have a pretty good idea of whats happened. Sure, there can be confusion if the offending post bringing about the suspension has been removed from view but a quick PM to me and I'll be happy to explain.

JAWS
15-Apr-06, 22:54
Jaws, I'm hesitant to make an announcement or draw attention to the fact that someone has been suspended. Also, adjusting the system to display the reasons for someone's ban would take a lot more time than its worth. We have so few people under suspension and have to suspend such a small number of users it would seem like a poor use of time. The suspension of a user is not secret, obviously its displayed next to their username, neither is the reason. However in most cases very few people care what the reason is, or most people have a pretty good idea of whats happened. Sure, there can be confusion if the offending post bringing about the suspension has been removed from view but a quick PM to me and I'll be happy to explain.
Thanks for that Niall. If the current set up is causing no problems I'm happy with that.
I obviously don't know how the system works at your end or how much work the board causes you.
I do, however, understand what it's like to work having your motives constantly scrutinised, questioned and under suspicion, especially when it's difficult for you to give a response. It can be very frustrating.
However, "if it ain't bust - don't fix it" is the order of the day if you are happy with it.

I have, during my life, gained very high qualifications and a great deal of expertise as a high ranking member of many "Serious Rumour Squads".
It is, unfortunately, a profession I occasionally allow to surface.

I have, in the past, and I cannot promise to change, been suspicious when certain people have been given suspensions.
Often I have concluded that it was because of their views and occasionally I have puzzled because some have been the most mild and inoffensive of posters.
More often than not, when I have discovered what the reason was, it has been because they have been silly enough to something as mundane as masking a swear-word.
Quite often, when I do find the real reason, I am quite disappointed because it removes the reason for me to allow the mascinations of my devious, suspicious little mind to run away with it's self.
The wilder side of my imagination really does hate my putting restictions on it.
It brings out it's "William Wallace Complex" - you know the one - "F R E E D O M"!

Unless I think somebody has suffered a savage injustice (which I don't foresee) I am highly unlikely to question such decisions, it's much more fun to sit in the background muttering and moaning and bemoaning their fate.
The real reason for things happening is usually far less exciting than what people wish to believe. ;)

Gleber2
15-Apr-06, 23:17
We are of a like mind and let that end it. Reason prevails and we can all go back to being good little orgers again.:D

JAWS
16-Apr-06, 00:02
We are of a like mind and let that end it. Reason prevails and we can all go back to being good little orgers again.:D
Best suggestion yet!
But I reserve the right to start Serious Rumours occasionally, just to keep everybody on their toes.
(No, I don't mean "tread" on people's toes. I can do that without even trying!) :o

crayola
16-Apr-06, 00:06
Did nobody miss me? :~(

unicorn
16-Apr-06, 00:13
were you suspended again?

crayola
16-Apr-06, 00:21
Heavens no, not suspended. I've been been travelling and getting an education in Philosophy. I've learned that Wicca isn't formally classified as a religion by (some) philosophers because we don't have a Deity to whom we must defer. That came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Whoops, I thought I was posting on the "What is your religion?" thread. Apologies for the digression. :o

Moira
16-Apr-06, 00:29
Heavens no, not suspended. I've been been travelling and getting an education in Philosophy. I've learned that Wicca isn't formally classified as a religion by (some) philosophers because we don't have a Deity to whom we must defer. That came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Whoops, I thought I was posting on the "What is your religion?" thread. Apologies for the digression. :o

Sorry Crayola -this is the "absent friends" thing - same lifetime, different thread. Change channels quick!

crayola
16-Apr-06, 01:03
Well I was absent and it seems that Wicca isn't a religion so I think I'm safe here. :)

What's happened in recent weeks? This used to to be a friendly place where we shared our innermost thoughts (wishful, wistful, wishy-washy or just plain wacky) and no-one batted an eyelid. Come on Caithness, we can do better than this. Turn on, log in, be cool.

(With humble apologies to that Leary dude who probably never visited God's own County, so wouldn't have heard my improved version of his little ditty.)

Gleber2
16-Apr-06, 02:05

Hey witch, of course we missed you. Wicca has never been a religion, ever, and if you think it is, you're missing the point. A calling, a way of life, a devotion, a vocation, a discipline but never a religion. Even the word restricts thought because it usually entails worship and any real witch will tell you that anything that needs to be worshipped is not worth worshipping. But you are a young soul and in the fullness of time you will learn for yourself what it is all about. If you need some-one to teach you these things you are not worth teaching. Look within not out.

This thread was dead and you have made it interesting again. Thank you and welcome back.

For fear of frightening new posters, disable your rep thingy. How did you get all these red marks?

crayola
16-Apr-06, 03:06
Hey witch, of course we missed you. Wicca has never been a religion, ever, and if you think it is, you're missing the point. A calling, a way of life, a devotion, a vocation, a discipline but never a religion. Even the word restricts thought because it usually entails worship and any real witch will tell you that anything that needs to be worshipped is not worth worshipping. But you are a young soul and in the fullness of time you will learn for yourself what it is all about. If you need some-one to teach you these things you are not worth teaching. Look within not out.I agree with everything you say about Wicca. I'm new to this 'religion' game and I'm still learning. Learning that Wicca is not a religion after all.

This thread was dead and you have made it interesting again. Thank you and welcome back.Thank you. :o

For fear of frightening new posters, disable your rep thingy. How did you get all these red marks?I used to have two green squares but I transgressed some unwritten (but not unreasonable) rules one night and woke up to five red ones. I believe this condition can be cured if enough people think I'm worth it. I could do as you suggest and hide my battle scars but what good would that do? I prefer to stay out in the open and work my way back to the top of the reputation table on merit. This may take some time. :lol:

JAWS
16-Apr-06, 06:09
I used to have two green squares but I transgressed some unwritten (but not unreasonable) rules one night and woke up to five red ones. I believe this condition can be cured if enough people think I'm worth it. I could do as you suggest and hide my battle scars but what good would that do? I prefer to stay out in the open and work my way back to the top of the reputation table on merit. This may take some time. :lol:
Nice to hear from you again Crayola you help liven the place up.

Once again I have had yet another of my misunderstandings clarified.
I always thought the little green squares were the sign of an imagination gone mouldy and the red squares showed a fully fired up and active imagination.
On second thoughts, I think I'll stick to my version.

Don't worry about the wrong thread, Crayola, this is Gleber2's thread and I don't think for one minute that he will complain if it wanders a little.
Besides, most Religions believe in thinking about Absent Friends and hoping for their Safe and Speedy Return so you are not that far off topic!

golach
16-Apr-06, 09:59
Did nobody miss me? :~(
Glad to see you back, if only that you will be better looking than thon owld Gleber2, no really glad to see a free thinker back again, yes you have been missed