PDA

View Full Version : Long Eared Owl

Phill
28-Oct-09, 09:55
Took this last year, forgot about it 'till sorting out some pic's.
Long Eared Owl, apparently not seen too often during the day.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/owllge.jpg

Not the best pic' but the weather was miserable that day.

Rheghead
28-Oct-09, 11:15
Great photo!:) Lucky you. I thought owls with coloured eyes are daytime hunters?

Kenn
28-Oct-09, 11:32
Good spot,not seen a long eared owl for some years,last time was a pair at dusk in The Lake District.

Phill
28-Oct-09, 12:06
I thought owls with coloured eyes are daytime hunters?

Not a clue I'm afraid. We were made up to see any owl during the day.
It wasn't until sometime later we found out exactly what kind of owl and just how lucky we were to spot.
Just gutted the photies were crap.

porshiepoo
28-Oct-09, 18:45
Great Picture. Lucky you.

Just to clarify, Orange eyed Owls are active at Dawn and Dusk. Yellow eyed owls active during the day and dark eyed owls are active at night.

Mystical Potato Head
28-Oct-09, 19:35
Great shot,very well captured.

Sandra_B
28-Oct-09, 19:57
Great pic!

Liz
28-Oct-09, 20:54
What a great photo Phill.

domino
28-Oct-09, 20:56
Well done Phil, lucky you

kas
28-Oct-09, 21:37
Greta shot, only ever seen a dead one or a falconers one. Very elusive and so beautiful. As domino said lucky you, especially with a camera in your hand.

Phill
28-Oct-09, 21:52
Ananover....

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/owl001.jpg

It's done one.

fudge100
28-Oct-09, 23:41
Great pictures.

cazmanian_minx
29-Oct-09, 08:48
Fabulous pictures, what a lucky sighting.

Kevin Milkins
30-Oct-09, 10:57
Well done Phill. I would have been delighted to see that owl, let alone get a few photos.

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 11:26
No photo taken of a bird in the wild is ever perfect but that is about as perfect as you can ever get, it is great. I've seen a lot of photos on birdforum.net and there is no dishonour in tweaking your photos into competition winners by Photoshop. A little subtle brightness, contrast and colour saturation would do wonders I think.

Phill
01-Nov-09, 09:06
No photo taken of a bird in the wild is ever perfect but that is about as perfect as you can ever get, it is great. I've seen a lot of photos on birdforum.net and there is no dishonour in tweaking your photos into competition winners by Photoshop. A little subtle brightness, contrast and colour saturation would do wonders I think.

Yep, might have a play with them when I get some time. IIRC I think I might have tweaked them a little already.