PDA

View Full Version : Halloween?

Sandra_B
27-Oct-09, 21:14
What's the acceptable time for the kids to go guising? We're used to it being from 6 till 8. My boys are really excited about Halloween, hope the weather is going to be good to us...

P.S. When did we start calling it "Trick or treating"?

trix
27-Oct-09, 21:24

i da think we did sandra, i think but correct me if am wrong, i think it wis 'e yanks that dis 'e trick or treatin....

we choost do...''anything for halloween?'' :roll: :lol:

Invisible
27-Oct-09, 21:30
What's the acceptable time for the kids to go guising? We're used to it being from 6 till 8. My boys are really excited about Halloween, hope the weather is going to be good to us...

I would say 6 to 8 is about right, I remember back in the day when me and my bro used to go out for Halloween, i have a really embarrassing picture of me in green tights as Robin lol. Out where we are in the country no-one 'guises' (is that still the word), last year folks came to our house, my dad gave them an apple each, they were not amused lol.

pjyemail
28-Oct-09, 00:20
do guisers have party pieces now, last year when they come to the door they just say "trick or treat" or say nothing just look at you expecting treats.
I remember back in the day when i went out i had a joke, magic trick or song which i would do at each house to recieve the treats.

EDDIE
28-Oct-09, 00:37
do guisers have party pieces now, last year when they come to the door they just say "trick or treat" or say nothing just look at you expecting treats.
I remember back in the day when i went out i had a joke, magic trick or song which i would do at each house to recieve the treats.

But you have to remember they might be expecting a treat but are willing to play a trick as well its your choice?
I always remind saying years ago saying the grass is green sky is blue anything for halloween.

Bobinovich
28-Oct-09, 04:20
Oh my this takes me back! I remember my sister & I doing a song around Murkle as our treat one year. She did the mother's parts & I the sons...

Where have you been all day, Henry my son
Where have you been all day, my little one

Woods, dear mother, woods, dear mother
Oh mother be quick I wanna be sick
I want to lay down and die

What did you in the woods, Henry my son
What did you in the woods, my little one

Eat, dear mother, eat, dear mother

What did you eat, Henry my son
What did you eat, my little one

Snakes, dear mother, Snakes, dear mother

What colour were the snakes, Henry my son
What colour were the snakes, my little one

Green and yellow, green and yellow

We also ducked for apples & gorged ourselves on sweets & toffee apples yum!

Aaldtimer
28-Oct-09, 04:34
Well at least Bobinovich, you were performing a wee part of a traditional ballad which exists in many forms from serious Child versions, to not so serious children's versions!
Nowadays they just hold open their plastic bags and expect you to fill them with goodies!

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Oct-09, 04:46
In my day, Halloween was a byword for destruction, in particular the farms and crofts of Mey, Scarfskerray and Gills. Heady days.

Aaldtimer
28-Oct-09, 05:05
In my day, Halloween was a byword for destruction, in particular the farms and crofts of Mey, Scarfskerray and Gills. Heady days.

Eh? Destruction?
A wee bit of explanation required TPC!:confused

Dadie
28-Oct-09, 20:35
Im going to dust off my big spider and tombstone and decorate my porch for halloween again...and hope that my hubby actually answers the door while I take Lauren round a few houses on our street!

On second thoughts I will leave the real cobwebs on the decorations for effect:lol:

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 20:47
I used to make up bags and take them out with me when I took my daughter out, I distributed to the kids as I went. No worries about nobody being in then.

Sandra_B
28-Oct-09, 20:55
I used to make up bags and take them out with me when I took my daughter out, I distributed to the kids as I went. No worries about nobody being in then.

I hadn't thought about that, if I take my two out there won't be anyone at the house...maybe I should take the sweets out with me. Would you allow your child to accept sweeties from the "Grim reaper's" Mum on the street?

unicorn
28-Oct-09, 20:56
Absolutely, it works really well especially if you are in your own area as the kids will recognise you.

Dadie
28-Oct-09, 22:34
But if I take out the sweeties with me no-one will see the effort I will have made on the front porch....Big spider...pot with rats and spiders...cobwebs(to lazy to remove them) spider net curtain material...Iona dressed up in her costume.... hubbys pumpkin carving skills (not great but could be passed off as Laurens attempt) etc...

Vistravi
28-Oct-09, 22:46
My step dad is well known around the area they live in for putting a big effort into halloween. he usually has the whole house, garden and porch done up. he takes the kids through the back gate to the kitchen where he has the whole kitchen kitted out and decorated full of gadgets and scary things. the local kids love it! My mum's face when he brings out the remote control spider is classic :lol: And of course everyone in the house must be dressed up to be able to answer the door or they get told off lol.

Here's an idea Dadie, Why not get your oh to take Lauren out and you stay at home and take pride in the decoration you've put into the porch? You score if its wet ;)

mumof2
28-Oct-09, 22:51
we go out about half 6 or 7 depending on how organised we are, i think most people are expecting guisers about that time. saying that we'd only just sat down for our dinner at 5 last year and i had to answer the door to a bunch of kids then. i think that's a bit early unless it's family members or really little kids! made a big effort last year decorating the porch with bats, spiders, big pumpkin etc. but not quite so enthusiastic this year. might just do a dadie and leave the cobwebs up instead ha ha. might even go out to yours dadie see the wee ones dressed up.

dirdyweeker
29-Oct-09, 00:35
I was on holiday in USA during Halloween one year and was concerned we would not be "at home" for the entirety of the evening so asked the local children what was appropriate. Answer was to leave the bowls of sweets etc on the doorstep and they would help themselves! And no, first come was not first served as the children only took a small share. Infact therewas stilll some left when we arrived back.
Don't know if that would work here.....reckon the first caller would take all!!

Fluff
29-Oct-09, 20:30
I was not impressed Monday, I was out and a little girl (about 10, maybe younger) ran up to me with a bucket, shouting trick or treat, expecting money!

cheesh