PDA

View Full Version : Another computer problem

linzy222
22-Jan-04, 20:13
Can any1 plz help me??

I can't read my emails everytime i click on the in box a box comes up with" internet explorer cannot open this page"

I think i might of uninstalled something,or i think it might of happened when i downloaded msn 6.0, i upgraded it from 3.0 and it has been since then this has happened!

Does any1 know what i have done and could u plz help???

Linzy

Caledonia
22-Jan-04, 21:51
Oh that's easy.

I emailed you the solution.

;)

linzy222
22-Jan-04, 23:59
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO

sophietotnot
23-Jan-04, 15:55
I presume you are using hotmail?

How far can you log in before you get the message?

linzy222
23-Jan-04, 20:31
Hi yes i am using hotmail and i can log in and c what emails i have but as soon as i click on 1 to read it the msg comes up

sophietotnot
25-Jan-04, 10:05
I am sorry that I don't have a specific fix to help you. However here a couple of suggestions.

Is there anybody else at home that could log onto your computer with a different Hotmail sign in? Can they access their e-mails?

You could also try using your sign in on a friend's computer to see if you have the problem there. If you don't have access to another computer you can get free access to the net at the library. Hotmail can be accessed on library computers.

Another option to try would be taking another hotmail address and see what happens ie using your own computer with new sign in name. Send an e-mail to yourself and see if you can open it.

If you try these options you will be able to rule out whether it is your Hotmail id that is the problem or your computer.

If it is a Hotmail problem then you could e-mail their helpdesk. I take it you have other e-mail addresses that you can use?

If it is not a Hotmail problem then you will probably need to look at your software. Maybe there is some conflict with your ISP. We have problems on occasion with using AOL and Hotmail (not the same problem as you). We have also had problems with MSN and using FSNET.

Another possibility might be you need to reinstall Internet Explorer if a file/files have been damaged when you upgraded from v3 to v6. That could be done by downloading it free from Microsoft. What version of IE are you using anyway?

Best of luck.

linzy222
25-Jan-04, 12:46
Hi thanx for all your suggestions!

I have borrowed a laptop and i can read my emails on that, so its not hotmail thats the problem

We also tried re-installing windows 98 but it has made things worse so i think i will just give in and get new hard drive, my kids have a computer 2 so i'll just steal it from theirs and c how i get on with that

I don't know what internet explorer i have i don't have a clue about computer stuff all i know is how 2 switch it on really lol

Thanx again i'll let u know how i get on

Cheers

Linzy

dpw39
29-Jan-04, 23:39
Does'nt Windows 98 and 98SE have problems when loading and running IE6?

I too have difficulties with an IE problem!!!

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

linzy222
30-Jan-04, 01:26
Hi thanx all, i got it sorted the hard drive was corrupt so we just cleared it all out and re-installed everything, so it seems 2 b working fine now fingers crossed!!

But i haven't reloaded msn, i don't think i'll chance it

sophietotnot
03-Feb-04, 23:23
Aagghhhh.

If it makes you feel any better Hotmail won't let me in to read my messages now [mad] . I can send messages and I can see that I have e-mails on the Instant Messenger window but Hotmail will not let me into the inbox at all...

My partner can log into Hotmail and see his inbox/e-mails - no probs, on the same computer. Must be a Hotmail thing.

Curse, curse

Anonymous
04-Feb-04, 12:04
there seems to be a distant memory of being able to setup outlook express to access your hotmail account? I'm sure someone will remember...

Greenrunner
04-Feb-04, 12:10
Try
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020512a.htm

linzy222
05-Feb-04, 14:29
OMG it has done it again, i got my computer sorted and it was fine for a week then i thought i will try and download MSN again and c if its ok, but no it is doing it again so i think it must b MSN 6.0 or could there b another reason?

Does any1 else have this problem?

I have windows 98

If people r wondering "why do u have 2 have MSN anyway"? its just coz my mum lives in england and i talk 2 her there, but i think i will have 2 do it somewhere else from now on!!

MSN is not a good thing!!

wicker
06-Feb-04, 08:29
Try running a repair on the internet explorer
To do this goto my computer, then control panel and then into add/remove programs
in there should be microsoft internet explorer and internet tools. click on this and then click on add/remove and put the dot into the repair fuction and press ok.
if this doesnt work it could be that the msn software that you are downloading is not compatible with your computer, it should say on the software what it is and isnt compatible with, check that you have enough memory ram etc

gandster
08-Feb-04, 02:42
bleh! run spybot and delte every cookie and foremost "alexa"...your antivirus software if any needs to be tweaked to allow this function of reading emails...it will not allow it by default ..had the same problem went to norton 2003 no problem since...
by the way IE util.. blow !!! self corruption is just a matter of time ...and it just makes things worse....before a new harddrive id actually just look into learning how to reforemat your harddrive...its actually very easy after you get the basics...and a god send in the long run...a computer is like a car....eventually you need to have a tuneup
keeping all this in mind 8)~
keith

linzy222
08-Feb-04, 13:31
Thanx wicker for your suggestion i gave it a try but it never worked!! :~(

Anonymous
09-Feb-04, 11:25
All internet explorer problems can be solved by downloading mozilla:

www.mozilla.org

I run both Moz and IE on my XP box and all is fine, some things look slighly different in Moz but not much and on the whole you wont notice the difference, although Moz does have some nice wee features like tabs and stuff. If you're wondering, Mozilla is the browser that Netscape is based on, but it is much more lovely and stable and doesn't have any of the annoying "please please please convert your brain to aol" deep inside :)