PDA

View Full Version : Technical evolution

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 09:20
One philospher who specializes in technology was discussing a possible future for the human race. He believes that at some point, we will have the technology to transfer our brain into a silicon based replacement. Therefore able to live forever through technology. The next step is to become a collective.

I find it hard to imagine such a world. Maybe the brain is nothing more than a biological machine. If this is true, what really would stop us from being able to hook in and leave our biological and faulty bodies.

We have already evolved faster then natural selection within the past 100 years. No longer are our lives connected limited to nature. Would humans in general embrace this sort of evolution or would they reject it out right.

Today, religion is the major factor in stopping us from developing. As a species, we are well beyond the world when these documents were written and the audiences they were meant for. At what point will our species abandon these ancient concepts and embrace the reality of the observable.

Any thought?

Dali
13-Apr-06, 12:48
Think my brain is about 90% transfered now i spend that much time on the computer . :)

ice box
13-Apr-06, 13:06
My brain is just fried with this computer i just cant seem to pass it .Without going on it .

Saveman
13-Apr-06, 13:33
One philospher who specializes in technology was discussing a possible future for the human race. He believes that at some point, we will have the technology to transfer our brain into a silicon based replacement. Therefore able to live forever through technology. The next step is to become a collective.

I find it hard to imagine such a world. Maybe the brain is nothing more than a biological machine. If this is true, what really would stop us from being able to hook in and leave our biological and faulty bodies.

We have already evolved faster then natural selection within the past 100 years. No longer are our lives connected limited to nature. Would humans in general embrace this sort of evolution or would they reject it out right.<snip>

Has the human body and brain evolved in the past 100 years? I don't think so.
We've certainly invented lots of new medicines and technologies. The medical profession has been transformed, but there are now more diseases kicking about than there was 100 years ago, or at least they've now got names for more....as for the increase in technology whether it makes life better or not is debatable.

Transfering the human brain into a silicon based replacement is interesting. I do like sci fi. :)

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 13:59
The technology is definitely not that close. I would guess within 100 years at the rate we're growing now. Not necessarily to be able to transfer our minds but computers should be beyond the capabilities of the mind. If we can create a complex artificial intelligence at that point we won't be far off. Our mind works quite similarly to computers as it is today. Quantum computing will be the next technological revolution, afterwards who knows.

Already, science is discussing altering our dimensions to travel past the speed of light. The recent scientific breakthroughs, particularly in quantom mechanics, is stranger than any sci-fiction I've heard of so who knows what will be possible in 20 years let alone 100. As long as we don't blow ourselves up by then.

phoenix
13-Apr-06, 14:00
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4898488.stm

I often had a feeling that some diseases were made up by man so as to make money for the drug companies.........the thought is the deed! Go around telling people that 1 in 3 will get cancer at some point in their life.......and no doubt it will happen if enough people listen, tell woman that they will have a host of problems when they reach the menopause.....it will happen.......it has all been put into their minds! What if all illness is in the mind, the thoughts are put there and we believe it! Just imagine what would happen if we all took responsibility for what goes into our minds and got rid of all that claptrap that they feed us on.......wed all be well! :Razz and an awful lot of people would be out of jobs! [para]

gleeber
13-Apr-06, 18:20
I agree pulnteytooner. Millions, nay billions of years ago, natural selection happened very slowly. Say once every million years a gene evolved just a little teensy weensy bit and made its survival more likely in the environment it was born into. Over the billions of years since natural selection first kicked in and became the mechanism behind evolution, our planet has changed beyond recognition. Information now hits us at the speed of light and technological evolution is on a roll.
The average 5 year old kid probably knows more about the actual realities of our universe than all the prophets from all the holy books in the whole wide world.
Yet we still bring up children to believe in the fantasies of these superstitious superstars.
I can almost believe anything is possible with modern technology and I see technology as a benefit to mankind.
Religion too may have its benefits but its claim to being anything other than a mental zimmerframe is fast becoming a reality in our modern world.
Thank God for that.

pultneytooner
13-Apr-06, 19:06
My brain is just fried with this computer i just cant seem to pass it .Without going on it .

I have a similar problem with pubs, icebox.;)