PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic Kids

Anonymous
22-Jan-04, 09:26
Did anyone watch that programme on ITV1 last night at 10:30 called cosmetic kids?

Just wondering what peoples views are?

I agreed with the 10 or 11 year old girl getting her ears pinned back, as maybe felt she was different from other kids and possibly she got bullied for it or was worried about going to secondary school and getting alienated because of it.

As for Jenna who had a breast enlargement as soon as she turned 18, after wanting it done since the age of 14, i thought it was good that her mum and dad supported her but to me it looks as if they probably influenced her to do it as they're cosmetic surgery consultants who own the clinic and the mother has had 2 boob jobs herself. Jenna practically got it done for nothing and when she came round from her operation and was lying in pain all her mum could say was 'ohhh it looks better already, i feel like all my christmases have come at once'. I can understand her wanting her daughter to look and feel good but i think the way they were encouraging her to have the operation was wrong, then again if she was trying to dissuade her from doing it i'd be calling her a hypocrite. :confused

Personally i think cosmetic surgery is fine, and if i had the money there's a few bits i'd like to put right, but it should be a persons own choice and i wouldn't expect my mum or dad to egg me on or pay for it either.

squidge
22-Jan-04, 12:08
I think that surgery is a very serious thing to do. Why would you have surgery - a major operation if you didnt actually need it?

What we need to do is to bring our children up with a sense of their own worth and an acceptance of their appearance and their personalities - so that they like themselves. Sure some kids will be teased but if it isnt sticky out ears then it will be big lips or a pointed nose or glasses or their accent or their name. We need to nurture our children so that they can have the confidence to recognise the insults and name calling for what it is - childish nonsense. We also need to give them strategies to deal with insults and the ability to laugh at themselves too. All these are hard lessons to learn but how much harder must they be if your mum and dad think you need a nose job to be pretty or a boob job to be attractive. All our children are beautiful and they should be told that every day several times - especially before they go to sleep and when they wake up in the morning.

champagnebaby
22-Jan-04, 13:38
Some people just aren't happy with themselves. I think if they want to improve themselves through surgery or even just a drop of make up that's fine - each to their own n all that :o)

squidge
22-Jan-04, 18:08
I just re read my post from earlier.... should i have included a bucket maybe?