PDA

View Full Version : Government funded cars

dl757
26-Oct-09, 18:44
Can anyone tell me how disabled you have to be before you are entitled to get a government funded car? I know there are plenty of disabled people that have every right to get a car and for many it is their lifeline. The thing that really annoys me is when I see people who have never done an honest days work in their life (through their own choice) and do not seem to be disabled running around with brand new cars.

Kodiak
26-Oct-09, 19:08
To get this you need to receive the Higer Rate of Payment for the Mobility Component for the Disability Living Allowance.

For further information contact the Department for Work and Pensions. Telephone Number 08457 123456.

Just because someone does not look disabled does not mean they are not.

davem
26-Oct-09, 19:13
To get a mobility car you have to be virtually unable to walk. That means the sort of distance needed to manage the things most take for granted like going to the shops, doctors etc. There are many people who appear healthy but have heart, or lung conditions that make that distance impossible. I have helped deserving people get mobility allowance, it is not at all as easy as is thought, you have either have a medical or get medical reports to support your claim and prove your entitlement.

What you have to do is ask would you rather be in the position of earning a living or live the life that someone who to you seems undeserving has. Personally I'd rather drive an older car and not have the ailments that would get me a new one!

tonkatojo
26-Oct-09, 19:28
Can anyone tell me how disabled you have to be before you are entitled to get a government funded car? I know there are plenty of disabled people that have every right to get a car and for many it is their lifeline. The thing that really annoys me is when I see people who have never done an honest days work in their life (through their own choice) and do not seem to be disabled running around with brand new cars.

Those that look capable of running around and driving brand new disabled cars are probably the nominated drivers of a disabled person that cannot drive, but not necessarily so.

catran
26-Oct-09, 19:45
To get a mobility car you have to be virtually unable to walk. That means the sort of distance needed to manage the things most take for granted like going to the shops, doctors etc. There are many people who appear healthy but have heart, or lung conditions that make that distance impossible. I have helped deserving people get mobility allowance, it is not at all as easy as is thought, you have either have a medical or get medical reports to support your claim and prove your entitlement.

What you have to do is ask would you rather be in the position of earning a living or live the life that someone who to you seems undeserving has. Personally I'd rather drive an older car and not have the ailments that would get me a new one!
I have every sympathy with the disabled who cannot walk for whatever reason. However, I do object to this new car business every three years, no insurance, no road tax ect ect A lot of able bodied pensioners with a Works pension are a lot worse off financially than the disabled person. I cannot understand why a disabled person is allowed to drive whilst taking ampitripilene and diazepam as musle relaxants along with sleeping pills at night and a daily dose of high powered painkillers. It is scary. Surely the answer would be a free taxi ride to the shops and the doctor would make a home visit. Another question is "Why is the disabled not checked upon at regular intervals?" for some signs of improvement in their condition?