PDA

View Full Version : Refused Take-away

Fran
25-Oct-09, 23:13
Spice Tandoori at the shore, wick must be doing very well if they can turn away customers.

I have been there a few times for a take-away and once with a friend for a meal. I went for my usual curry takeaway and was told i would have to spend £10. I said i just wanted a curry and rice£8.95 and was told there was another takeaway up the road i could use. This was so embarrasing. There were only 4 people sitting in for a meal at the time. I thought the manager was quite rude.
There are no notices to this effect and nothing in the takeaway menu states there is a minimum charge.
So if you want to go there for a carry out remember it must come to £10, though there are no notices saying this!!

butterfly
25-Oct-09, 23:17
Spice Tandoori at the shore, wick must be doing very well if they can turn away customers.

I have been there a few times for a take-away and once with a friend for a meal. I went for my usual curry takeaway and was told i would have to spend £10. I said i just wanted a curry and rice£8.95 and was told there was another takeaway up the road i could use. This was so embarrasing. There were only 4 people sitting in for a meal at the time. I thought the manager was quite rude.
There are no notices to this effect and nothing in the takeaway menu states there is a minimum charge.
So if you want to go there for a carry out remember it must come to £10, though there are no notices saying this!!

Jeepers! Fran,you should spend your hard earned money somewhere else.

unicorn
25-Oct-09, 23:19
Thats one way to lose business I suppose. In this financial climate you would think they would be glad of any business.

zeppellin
25-Oct-09, 23:24
Noted, I for one will not use them again (they were'nt that good anyway.) Hope they're reading this thread and hope others will support on here. Cynical money grabbing attitude during a credit crunch will hopefully lead to a drop in their profits and who knows, a change of policy.

Kodiak
25-Oct-09, 23:25
I have heard of a Minimum charge for a meal if you are sitting in, but for a Take-away, never.

The Take-Away in Ormlie, Shelina Spice, has no Minimum charge. Last time I went in there all I bought was a Tray of Chips for £1.00 and they were happy to serve me.

The next time you want a Take-Away go back in and say to them in a Loud Voice :-

"I was going to give you an order but since you have a £10.00 minimum charge I will be going elsewhere now like all my friends"

And then just walk out with a smile on your face.

Vistravi
25-Oct-09, 23:25
Spicy tandoori is pretty good. They do a very hot hot and spicy pizza. Mmm it's very good :) (Well i think its the place i'm thinking of anyway!)

Shame they're turning people away by this £10 thing. Wonder what there reason for this £10 thing is.Truly is a bad move to make if they want many customers.

shazzap
25-Oct-09, 23:26

They obviously are doing so well that they do not want your custom or quite a few others i would expect.
It is ridiculous that they have a £10 minimum spend policy.

Vistravi
25-Oct-09, 23:31
They obviously are doing so well that they do not want your custom or quite a few others i would expect.
It is ridiculous that they have a £10 minimum spend policy.

It will certainly put my partner off going there now when we are up visiting family in caithness every so often. It's the only place where he can get a hot and spicy pizza as hot as the way they make it. It blows your head off much like his own curries do :lol:

mumof2
25-Oct-09, 23:31
cheezo not everyone has £10 to spend! that's a downright disgrace. i would have been absolutely raging. was the £10 minimum because you were paying by card?

shazzap
25-Oct-09, 23:38
I have had a curry from there once and to be honest i can cook better myself.

Julia
25-Oct-09, 23:42
It's the only place where he can get a hot and spicy pizza as hot as the way they make it. It blows your head off much like his own curries do :lol:

You must be thinking of the Balti House on Bridge Street as they sell pizza and Spice Tandoori does not.

EDDIE
25-Oct-09, 23:44

Ask a silly question do u have to spend min of £10 if using a debit card or does that apply if your paying for cash just wondered if the banks charge them for each transaction using a debit card

KILTIECAULDBUM
25-Oct-09, 23:53
We have been turned away too!!

When they first opened we thought we'd give them a try since we're not in Wick that often. Because we weren't really all that hungry, we thought we'd just try their Pakora, a portion each of chicken & vegetable. We were told that we could only purchase the Pakora if we also bought a main meal? They said they didn't sell the likes of Pakora or chips etc. on their own. We were paying cash, therefore the possible £10 minimum credit card spend didn't apply here!! [evil]

We did try a full meal from them at a later date & were not impressed, as most of it went in the bin.

WE are not going back either.

Vistravi
25-Oct-09, 23:57
You must be thinking of the Balti House on Bridge Street as they sell pizza and Spice Tandoori does not.

Ah that could be the one. Wasn't sure of the name of the one i was thinking of. Thank you for clearing that up Julia :)

sweetpea
26-Oct-09, 00:00
I have had a curry from there once and to be honest i can cook better myself.

I reckon I can too. I love experimenting with curry.

Have to say that £10 rule is stupid. What's the point of it?

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 00:04
They obviously don't want to serve customers who are only after a cheap carry-oot. (Maybe it's the post-pub culture they want to avoid? I don't know.)

People seem to forget that it's their choice who to serve, after all.

shazzap
26-Oct-09, 00:05
I reckon I can too. I love experimenting with curry.

I love experimenting too sweetpea. Love curries made with coconut milk mmmmmmmmm.:)

sweetpea
26-Oct-09, 00:07
They obviously don't want to serve customers who are only after a cheap carry-oot. (Maybe it's the post-pub culture they want to avoid? I don't know.)

Oh ok, never thought of that. I doubt Fran rolled in there drunk though,maybe the could use discretion or something.

Rheghead
26-Oct-09, 00:27
Seems a little silly that £10 minimum when another indian takeaway will be prepared to deliver their meal for free if you spend over £18:eek:

sweetpea
26-Oct-09, 00:28
I love experimenting too sweetpea. Love curries made with coconut milk mmmmmmmmm.:)

yeah I use yoghurt too sometimes. I like it to make my eyes stream lol

Fran
26-Oct-09, 00:45
Ask a silly question do u have to spend min of £10 if using a debit card or does that apply if your paying for cash just wondered if the banks charge them for each transaction using a debit card

I was paying cash, but never got as far as opening my purse!!!

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 00:59
Oh ok, never thought of that. I doubt Fran rolled in there drunk though,maybe the could use discretion or something.

Imagine the scenario:

They serve a perfectly sober Fran, who then tells her pals how good the meal was. The news passes on to the teenage binge-drinking pal of the son (Grandson?) of one of her pals, who then decides to go for a curry-oot (see what I did there? ;)) himself, after an evening drinking the day away in the pub.

Imagine how angry said ned would be at being told "Nae chance, sonny-Jim".

I'd hazard a guess that they quite possibly wouldn't want that sort of customer, and it would be better to knock the whole 'serving single carry-oot meals' right on the head from the get-go.

Just a theory, mind you.

sweetpea
26-Oct-09, 01:08
Imagine the scenario:

They serve a perfectly sober Fran, who then tells her pals how good the meal was. The news passes on to the teenage binge-drinking pal of the son (Grandson?) of one of her pals, who then decides to go for a curry-oot (see what I did there? ;)) himself, after an evening drinking the day away in the pub.

Imagine how angry said ned would be at being told "Nae chance, sonny-Jim".

I'd hazard a guess that they quite possibly wouldn't want that sort of customer, and it would be better to knock the whole 'serving single carry-oot meals' right on the head from the get-go.

Just a theory, mind you.

Ok, would a cut off time for serving take aways work? Just that if your single and want a curry for one it's not very handy.

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 01:15
Ok, would a cut off time for serving take aways work? Just that if your single and want a curry for one it's not very handy.
You're right, it's not very handy at all.

A cut-off point might work, I don't know though. It's not my trolley. ;)

sweetpea
26-Oct-09, 01:21
You're right, it's not very handy at all.

A cut-off point might work, I don't know though. It's not my trolley. ;)

Would it be the same if Fran asked for a table, would she have to spend over a tenner? I just don't see the point.

Fran
26-Oct-09, 03:48
[quote=Metalattakk;612303]Imagine the scenario:

-Jim".

What a load of rubish in this post.I'm sure if i had recommended them they would have had a lot of customers.
My grandson is only in primary school so has no teenaGE BINGE DRINKING pals who would go for a carry out., and my friends dont have binge drinking sons.

Also, if it was that the take away wont serve single people, that would be discrimination. Also, i think they are breaking the law as there are no signs to say there is a £20 minimum spend.

Margaret M.
26-Oct-09, 03:50
I have been there a few times for a take-away and once with a friend for a meal. I went for my usual curry takeaway and was told i would have to spend £10. I said i just wanted a curry and rice£8.95 and was told there was another takeaway up the road i could use.

I have never heard of a minimum for a takeaway -- this policy will surely hurt their business.

Aaldtimer
26-Oct-09, 04:02

Actually, depending on the circumstances, that may not be the case.
If they have a menu on show in the window, or in the shop, then in Scots Law they are offering a contract.
They would have to have bliddy good reasons to refuse any custom and not abide by that contract![disgust]

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 04:06
Actually, depending on the circumstances, that may not be the case.
If they have a menu on show in the window, or in the shop, then in Scots Law they are offering a contract.
They would have to have bliddy good reasons to refuse any custom and not abide by that contract![disgust]
Nope, that's wrong. They don't have to serve anybody. They can refuse to serve whomsoever they like, and they don't even have to give a reason why.

Aaldtimer
26-Oct-09, 04:13
I shall continue to think you are quite wrong on that point.
If you were talking about a licenced premises refusing alcoholic drink , I would agree, but not a take-away food outlet.:confused

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 04:13
Imagine the scenario:

-Jim".

What a load of rubish in this post.I'm sure if i had recommended them they would have had a lot of customers.
My grandson is only in primary school so has no teenaGE BINGE DRINKING pals who would go for a carry out., and my friends dont have binge drinking sons.
Oh for crying out loud Fran, it was only an example, just a hypothetical scenario!

(Are people completely incapable of comprehending a simple post? I used to fear for the youth of today. What hope have they got if this is indicative of the senior generations?)

Also, if it was that the take away wont serve single people, that would be discrimination. Also, i think they are breaking the law as there are no signs to say there is a £20 minimum spend.
They are certainly not breaking any law. Too many people have this 'the customer is always right' attitude. They can serve (and refuse to serve) whoever they damn well like.

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 04:15
I shall continue to think you are quite wrong on that point.
If you were talking about a licenced premises refusing alcoholic drink , I would agree, but not a take-away food outlet.:confused
Take-away food outlets work to the same principles as normal shops. They cannot be forced to sell you anything.

Aaldtimer
26-Oct-09, 04:18
I think you may have to check up on Scots Law!

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 04:21
Show me where any vendor is not allowed to refuse service.

Aaldtimer
26-Oct-09, 04:47
In Scots Law if you advertise a service, whether it be in a newspaper, shop front/interior, whatever, then you are entering a Contract.
You cannot just then back out of that Contract willy-nilly!
You have to have Legal grounds for refusing to enter a Contract with a prospective customer.
The exception to this is the alcohol Licensed trade.

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 04:59
Can you quote a source for this information?

Aaldtimer
26-Oct-09, 05:16
This probably covers it:- http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/1997034.htm

unless the supplier has a disclaimer about the £10 charge.

Metalattakk
26-Oct-09, 05:28
So you're saying that advertising a service constitutes entering a contractual agreement?

I don't believe for a second that that can possibly be true.

Anyway it's getting late, I'll check out the contents of your link and do some more research in the morning. Cheers for now.

riggerboy
26-Oct-09, 08:49
i had the same thing, we phoned in for a curry to be told £10 minimum i told the wife to say no thanks, i then went and looked at the menu and i does state minimum order of £10, anyway told them to ram it and went to the curry king, never again it was rubbish to say the least,

Venture
26-Oct-09, 09:10
i had the same thing, we phoned in for a curry to be told £10 minimum i told the wife to say no thanks, i then went and looked at the menu and i does state minimum order of £10, anyway told them to ram it and went to the curry king, never again it was rubbish to say the least,
Is this on their takeaway menu riggerboy? I checked mine and could find nothing about a minimum order of £10.

riggerboy
26-Oct-09, 09:15
Is this on their takeaway menu riggerboy? I checked mine and could find nothing about a minimum order of £10.

aye it was on the 1 we got put through the door befroe the place opened,

MR_A
26-Oct-09, 10:17

Is it not the same people that have both??

I saw the little man from the pizza place going into the place on Saturday morning unlocking the door as he went in.

M R
26-Oct-09, 12:00

I thought you were struck down and under house arrest with Swine Flu ?
Maybe that was just there excuse to get you out of the place asap :cool:

riggerboy
26-Oct-09, 12:04
aye it was on the 1 we got put through the door before they place opened,

just got the wife to check and nope nothing on it she has informed it was the place in inverness that has the minimum price of £14.95

Dusty
26-Oct-09, 13:56
As I understand it, a menu displayed at a fast food outlet is considered to be an "invitation to treat", a customer asking for a menu item is making an "offer to contract" which the server may accept or reject.
When the server makes up the order they are performing the contract and the customer is then bound to pay.

Hope this helps.:)

Venture
26-Oct-09, 14:01
just got the wife to check and nope nothing on it she has informed it was the place in inverness that has the minimum price of £14.95

Well at least I know I'm not as blind as a bat now.:lol:

riggerboy
26-Oct-09, 14:07
Well at least I know I'm not as blind as a bat now.:lol:

my most sincere apologies to you,

bet you were thinking i should have went to spec savers lol

Amy-Winehouse
26-Oct-09, 19:42
Is it not the same people that have both??

I saw the little man from the pizza place going into the place on Saturday morning unlocking the door as he went in.

No mate, Spice Tandoori is down by the Wick College & Curry King is on Bridge street next to John Gunns shop. The othe indian places are Balti House which is next door to Scotscoup Bookies & K2 which is closed , used to be across from The Pit stop on Bridge Street. Confusing isnt it;)

trix
26-Oct-09, 20:35
i hed a sit in meal in 'e one at 'e shore on friday nicht, tandoori spice is'ed. an i hev til say that it wis til die for...really tasty.
wis drinkin 'e same drink as hannibal lecter...canti...somethin..? :confused

i widna usualy go til 'e balti hoose for a curry but i did on sunday nicht as it's bin taken over by new management. it wis alrite an'all but no as guid as 'e ither plice.
sayin 'at, am no much o' a curry-han.

Kevin Milkins
26-Oct-09, 23:52
Well, for what it's worth, this is what I think. :roll:

They spotted Fran entering the premises and they are aware of her infamous ability to find things. They were concerned about a possible future thread appearing on the org, by Fran, that she bought a curry from the Spice Tandoori and found a set of keys in it. :eek:

In the heat of the moment the manager made up a porky pie excuse to why he could not serve her, but it now seems to have back fired on him.
Those in the know will understand and I am sure my good friend Fran will have a giggle as well.;)

sweetpea
27-Oct-09, 00:38

They spotted Fran entering the premises and they are aware of her infamous ability to find things. They were concerned about a possible future thread appearing on the org, by Fran, that she bought a curry from the Spice Tandoori and found a set of keys in it.

In the heat of the moment the manager made up a porky pie excuse to why he could not serve her, but it now seems to have back fired on him.
Those in the know will understand and I am sure my good friend Fran will have a giggle as well.

LOL, That's the most likely explanation. They SAW her coming [lol]

riggerboy
27-Oct-09, 09:55

They spotted Fran entering the premises and they are aware of her infamous ability to find things. They were concerned about a possible future thread appearing on the org, by Fran, that she bought a curry from the Spice Tandoori and found a set of keys in it. :eek:

Those in the know will understand and I am sure my good friend Fran will have a giggle as well.;)

quality bliddy quality

Venture
27-Oct-09, 10:06
i hed a sit in meal in 'e one at 'e shore on friday nicht, tandoori spice is'ed. an i hev til say that it wis til die for...really tasty.
wis drinkin 'e same drink as hannibal lecter...canti...somethin..? :confused

i widna usualy go til 'e balti hoose for a curry but i did on sunday nicht as it's bin taken over by new management. it wis alrite an'all but no as guid as 'e ither plice.
sayin 'at, am no much o' a curry-han.

Good to see you posting again Trix.;)

I had a takeaway from Tandoori Spice on Saturday and have to say it was superb.

Congratulations on passing the driving test by the way.:)

Miss Mack
27-Oct-09, 12:27
We phoned for a meal for 2 a couple of weeks ago, it included 1 boiled rice and 1 pilau rice, i asked to change the order to 2 pilau rice and offered to pay any difference, i was told no at first but eventually he agreed, i was then told this was a one off and they wouldnt do it again! I suppose its called a set meal for a reason but he wasnt very nice on the phone, think i will try somewhere else next time[disgust].