PDA

View Full Version : dog who will run and play?

dragonfly
24-Oct-09, 22:59
just wondering now its getting dark at nights I was wondering if anyone in the Thurso area has a dog that loves to run and play and burn of energy.

I could walk Brodie on the lead for miles but what he needs is another dog to chase or to chase him so was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position who would like to meet up at nights to have a quick runaround to tire the dogs out??

Thinking Scrabster Beach would be ideal for it as lit from above and a safe environment

brandy
24-Oct-09, 23:01
awww hun i would love to.. but im on the other side of the county!
however im free more thru the day now that the kids are in school.. if you want to meet up for beach walks!

unicorn
24-Oct-09, 23:02
I would love to, only problem is your 2 may be a bit big for bobbi and I don't know how sunny would behave. They run for miles but the mall is a bit spooky at night :lol: not to mention muddy.

dragonfly
24-Oct-09, 23:03
simple solution Brandy, move to Thurso :lol:

yeah must meet up again sometime, love to see how much Bubbles has grown

dragonfly
24-Oct-09, 23:14
I would love to, only problem is your 2 may be a bit big for bobbi and I don't know how sunny would behave. They run for miles but the mall is a bit spooky at night :lol: not to mention muddy.

thats why I thought of the beach. Brodie is big!! but he thinks he's little especially when trying to get on my knee! :lol:

unicorn
24-Oct-09, 23:15
Could give them a try pm me a time.

butterfly
24-Oct-09, 23:17
My dog wont go out in this weather,instead he is running around the house waring my carpets out!:lol:

dragonfly
24-Oct-09, 23:27
same here thats why I realised he needs more than a walk around town on a lead at night. Took them out for 2 hours this morning and he ran off on me playing with other dogs, needed to be caught as he wasn't going to come back and still he is full of life tonight!

unicorn
24-Oct-09, 23:29
Bobbi done that for the first time a couple of weeks ago I was mortified, what a job I had catching her, It would do her good to interact with another dog and answer me at the same time [lol]

butterfly
24-Oct-09, 23:39
I canna let my dog off the lead when out because if he see's something he's off after it and it's like he's got blinker's on,no amount of calling will bring him back until he has investigated whatever it is that made him take off!

I wish there was somewhere to take him that was fenced off so he could run about safely.

brandy
24-Oct-09, 23:44
im really really lucky as bubs has super recall... bad manners on lead, pulls like a ox.
no wonder my shoulders hurt so bad! and she is teaching spot the same bad habits!
let me know when you are up for it and ill meet you with my two and we can hit the beach *G* we will pretend its not nearly nov!

dragonfly
24-Oct-09, 23:44
my garden?? its fenced off and pretty big! but on second thoughts I've spent a fortune on plants/decking so maybe not such a good idea

brandy
24-Oct-09, 23:52
yup! spot has already destroyed my garden!! all the hard work .. now gone!
he has dug up all the plants in both the ground and pots..
theres a big hole under the trampoline.. that is bubbles project though..
ive given up for the winter.. but come spring.. by god, they are being locked out of the garden. im fixing the fence they can do their buisness on the path and i will just have to pick it up from there.. will be easier anyway off the grass!

Kevin Milkins
25-Oct-09, 05:51
I know the feeling of having a dog with excess energy and walking Casper on a lead is just not enough for him. Now that Megan is getting too old to play and chase him we use the ball thrower on the beach and that wears him down a fair bit.

One of his favourites is chasing the rabbits through the dunes and I stand on high ground and watch him sprinting around like a headless chicken.
Its really funny watching the rabbits sat up watching him and I am sure laughing at him as he has not got a cat in hells chance of ever catching one.:lol:

Leanne
25-Oct-09, 10:10
I've got 2 large lurchers that love a good run on the beach. They love playing chase with each other and tire each other out no probs - why not get another? ;)

dragonfly
25-Oct-09, 10:24
we've got another Leanne, Bailey, but he can't be bothered with Brodie after about 5 mins of running, he just wants to paddle in the sea and have stones thrown for him to never catch!! Brodie isn't so keen on going in the sea but will do on occassions - he just isn't as water focussed as Bailey.

in fact Brodie is only focussed on one thing at the moment :eek: his hormones are raging so if he spots a dog at the other end of the beach he'd be off and recall goes out the window!! Frustrating cos he used to be so good but that was probably mostly due to his liver problems and now he's fighting fit and feeling on top of the world he's making up for lost time ;)

He's getting the "op" in November but not pinning hopes that it will regain his recall! Figure if he can get a real good going chase he won't be quite as full of energy so other walks during the day will be a breeze and I'll have some voice left at the end of the day instead of straining my vocal chords trying to recall a dog who is deaf when he wants to be!!

Leanne
25-Oct-09, 10:30
We're going to Dunnett later in the day if you want to join us?

dragonfly
25-Oct-09, 10:35
dash! I've got to go to Wick for shopping later today!! what time were you planning on going there?

Leanne
25-Oct-09, 11:07
About lunch time - but looking at the weather I might give it a miss :( Our dogs don't much like the rain which is good lol

dragonfly
25-Oct-09, 11:22
I know!! been throwing a frisbee in the garden for Brodie but he has refused to drop it and keeps running away from me with it in his mouth!! weather is awful just now!! usually winter is nice, dry and frosty............might be time for that yet ;)

cuddlepop
25-Oct-09, 17:12
Scorrie was just the same last winter and I am dreading these dark nights.

He was done this summer so is a little calmer but his energy levels are still the same.Oh thinking of a tracker device as just now he's off as soon as he catches sight of a rabbit on our Scorrie walk.

Pity your so far away as he's play till he dropped.:eek::D