PDA

View Full Version : Whooper swans

Kenn
24-Oct-09, 16:34
Found 4 large flocks today, 100plus on the right of the Scarfskerry Rd going east, another small one aprox. 50 at Mey Loch and 2 groups ,the 1st of about 50 on a lochan between Canisby and Lyth with about 150 together with several Greylags a little further along the road.Have already seen several groups in the Loch Calder area.
With the wind still coming from the south, they should be staying put for a while I would think.
How many will over winter here and how many will continue to travel further south to the wetland reserves in England, any one have an idea?

kas
24-Oct-09, 20:15
Found 4 large flocks today, 100plus on the right of the Scarfskerry Rd going east, another small one aprox. 50 at Mey Loch and 2 groups ,the 1st of about 50 on a lochan between Canisby and Lyth with about 150 together with several Greylags a little further along the road.Have already seen several groups in the Loch Calder area.
With the wind still coming from the south, they should be staying put for a while I would think.
How many will over winter here and how many will continue to travel further south to the wetland reserves in England, any one have an idea?

A few will stay here for the winter but the majority will move on further south once they refuel and get the wind they want. Northerlies kicking in tomorrow I think so they could be off then.

nirofo
26-Oct-09, 03:13

The biggest problem these birds now face is finding enough food to tide them over and keep them in one area longer. Most of the stubble fields are now ploughed in almost as soon as they are harvested, grassy fields and wet meadows are few and far between these days. Over drainage of land that was just drained for the grants and modern farming methods have ensured these birds have to keep on the move to find a meal.

nirofo.

mac
26-Oct-09, 20:29
The biggest problem these birds now face is finding enough food to tide them over and keep them in one area longer. Most of the stubble fields are now ploughed in almost as soon as they are harvested, grassy fields and wet meadows are few and far between these days. Over drainage of land that was just drained for the grants and modern farming methods have ensured these birds have to keep on the move to find a meal.

nirofo.

I think you will find that the majority of farmers in caithness dont plough the stubbles still spring so should be plenty for them saw some big flocks near castletown today on stubbles.

kas
26-Oct-09, 23:30

nirofo.

Might have missed some of your posts but I have seen you on here for ages. Good to hear from you.