PDA

View Full Version : post strikes

Mr P Cannop
23-Oct-09, 18:35
there is still post going though peoples letter boxes whos all getting mail ??

Rheghead
23-Oct-09, 18:41
Scabs are still at work.:lol:

Mr P Cannop
23-Oct-09, 18:42
just heard only 20% turned up for work

telfordstar
23-Oct-09, 18:49
Well it is a strike!!!!!

achingale
23-Oct-09, 18:55
No post for us today but got it fine yesterday. And a repeat performance next week. Oh joy. I will not be ordering anything from anyone who uses Royal Mail then...

Kodiak
23-Oct-09, 19:46
Here is a Link to the BBC Page where Posties have Posted their Views on the Strike. If you go about half-way down the page there is a Comment from a Postie who works in Caithness. Well worth a read this is :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/8317324.stm

K.

cuddlepop
23-Oct-09, 20:13
No post today here either.

Leanne
23-Oct-09, 20:17
Guess my nan wont be getting her 90th birthday card :(

Jester
23-Oct-09, 20:34
This postal strike is great - no junk mail :lol:

brandy
23-Oct-09, 21:11
well we didnt get any mail today.. no news is good news?

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 21:17
no post for me either, and i'm waiting for a fuel pump for my truck :(

Katy
24-Oct-09, 11:07
Not sure if anyone else feels the same as me but I find this soooo annoying!!! I am waiting for a few packages and because all the staff at Royal mail are not happy we all have to suffer by not getting our mail!!!

Is it Monday its meant to be back to normal? Do the staff not realise they wil have double the work to do when they go back as there wil be such a backlog?!

Kxxx

golach
24-Oct-09, 11:22
Not sure if anyone else feels the same as me but I find this soooo annoying!!! I am waiting for a few packages and because all the staff at Royal mail are not happy we all have to suffer by not getting our mail!!!

Is it Monday its meant to be back to normal? Do the staff not realise they wil have double the work to do when they go back as there wil be such a backlog?!

Kxxx
A typical selfish post. Do you think Postal Staff like being on strike? No wages, and bullying widespeard by the Royal Mail management.
Having been a postman and having had to as a last resort to try and get decent working conditions for postmen I too had to strike for 8 weeks, a wife and 2 children under 10 to feed clothe and rent, electricity to pay. The decision to strike was not taken lightly. That was in 1971, conditions and Royal Mail management have not changed.[disgust]

Katy
24-Oct-09, 12:26
A typical selfish post. Do you think Postal Staff like being on strike? No wages, and bullying widespeard by the Royal Mail management.
Having been a postman and having had to as a last resort to try and get decent working conditions for postmen I too had to strike for 8 weeks, a wife and 2 children under 10 to feed clothe and rent, electricity to pay. The decision to strike was not taken lightly. That was in 1971, conditions and Royal Mail management have not changed.[disgust]

Sorry if i've offended you in any way Golach. Its maybe difficult for the postal staff but if they are not happy can't they find another job?! What happens if they still don't get anywhere after going on strike......?! Its difficult when your trying to run a business and your mail isn't arriving....i'm sure there are other people in the same boat as myself too who are annoyed with it! No?
Kxx

Kodiak
24-Oct-09, 12:49
Sorry if i've offended you in any way Golach. Its maybe difficult for the postal staff but if they are not happy can't they find another job?! What happens if they still don't get anywhere after going on strike......?! Its difficult when your trying to run a business and your mail isn't arriving....i'm sure there are other people in the same boat as myself too who are annoyed with it! No?
Kxx

What a complete and utter silly thing to say.

"Can't they find another job"

What Job and Where and if instead of going on strike all the posties leaving to find other work then there would be no Royal Mail at all.

Do you have any idea what is going on? How would you like to be forced to work UNPAID Overtime under the threat of Suspension. That is what is happening.

Not only that being told that automation of mail systems will mean most Posties will have have Only a Part Time position and in the process loose half their Pay. They have been told they will be free to go and get other employment as long as it's Part Time.

OH Yeah where are all the Posties going to get all this Part Time work?

Automation will not save any money as the cost of the automatic machines cost many Millions and in the long run will kill off Royal Mail.

If this happens see what happens if you want to get some packets delivered to Caithness and the price you will have to pay.

You should be backing the Posties and not trying to run them down. Without the Royal Mail Posties, Scotland will be in a Postal Black Hole.

Katy
24-Oct-09, 13:39
I give up no getting into another typical argument on .org
Kxx

mumof2
24-Oct-09, 16:13
i got post 2day, boring info from the bank but post nonetheless.

Ash
24-Oct-09, 19:57
Kxx

Katy i agree ive ordered stuff which is being delayed because of royal mail and its all important as its for my wedding!

i got post today but all junk which i didnt want

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
24-Oct-09, 20:51
Have been told by my local PO that our local posties are mainly still working - if they strike they never make up the pay again........

I agree with Katy - but also can see the other side too ..but to be fair from Katy's point of view we do pay for this service and we are not getting what we pay for at the moment hence her annoyance..... it's a fair enough point to make...........

Katy
24-Oct-09, 20:55
Thanks KOT, that is my point exactly. We are paying thro the nose compared to everywhere else in the UK cause we r a KW1 postcode as well!

Know our posties are still working hard as was speaking to our one day. Not annoyed at them more at the ones down the road that is causing all the disturbence!!

Kxxx

BINBOB
24-Oct-09, 20:58
I have had mail each day.......:)

ChuckBuscuits
24-Oct-09, 21:03
sometimes you have to fight for what you believe in.
if it means losing a few days pay to have a fair and decent job with sercuity in the future,then i think it is worth it.
but that is just my humble option[para]

anyway most people tell the postie to keep the bills!:lol:

thebigman
24-Oct-09, 22:08
Well I managed to read the newspapers and watched the news so knew that there was going to be a strike and didn't order anything which might have been important.

Any way who would be daft enough to order stuffby mail when they knew the strike was happening? Pay the extra for a carrier if you want to make sure your valuable purchases arrive.

Having said that stuff I did order was delivered on time by my postie.

Kodiak
24-Oct-09, 22:43
Thanks KOT, that is my point exactly. We are paying thro the nose compared to everywhere else in the UK cause we r a KW1 postcode as well!

Know our posties are still working hard as was speaking to our one day. Not annoyed at them more at the ones down the road that is causing all the disturbence!!

Kxxx

This is not correct you Know. If you use Royal Mail it costs the same to send a Packet from London to Birmingham, to what it does from London to Thurso or Wick. Royal Mail are the only Company that have standard charges all over the UK which includes the Islands and Northern Ireland.

If you are being charged Extra to receive a Packet or Parcel to get delivered to a KW1 or KW14 Postcode then you are using a Carrier and NOT Royal Mail.

So when you say you are paying through the nose compared to everywhere else in the country then this has to be your own fault for using a Private Carrier.

No other company will collect a Single 100g Packet from Shetland and deliver it to Lands End within 24 Hours all for Just over £1.

Now that the Posties are fed up working many hours a week totally unpaid and are trying to get fair payment for what they do, all you can do is Moan and Groan how badly you are being treated.

I am Quite sure you would not be prepared to work Extra Hours for no pay, I know I would never have done that and I don't expect my Postie to do it either.

It is time that the public backed the posties for if the government has its way, Royal Mail will be sold off and split up and there will be no National Mail System at all.

Then you will have something to complain about for the price of postage will increase to such an extent you will be saying, "Those were the days when we had Royal Mail"

bhoy1973
25-Oct-09, 01:01
How thick are you Katy? RM postage comes down to weight and size across the UK, therefore if you were to post something from Thurso to Inverness it would be the same as someone posting from London to Caithness.

I disagree with the strike on the basis that modernisation in the RM is coming no matter what, with or without the posties. They are the ones at the coal face as such however they are also the ones who will pay the highest price as modernisation will see a reduced requirement for sorting offices, etc.

Kodiak
25-Oct-09, 01:26
How thick are you Katy? RM postage comes down to weight and size across the UK, therefore if you were to post something from Thurso to Inverness it would be the same as someone posting from London to Caithness.

I disagree with the strike on the basis that modernisation in the RM is coming no matter what, with or without the posties. They are the ones at the coal face as such however they are also the ones who will pay the highest price as modernisation will see a reduced requirement for sorting offices, etc.

The Royal Mail say modernisation will only effect staff in the sorting offices and not the Door to Door Posties.

This is not exactly correct. The reason is that in more than 50% of Sorting Offices the sorting of the mail is actually done by the Postie. Then when he has done this he then has to go out on his/her round and deliver the mail he/she just sorted.

So bringing in the new machineary will effect the working hours of these posties. They are doing at present a supposed 8 hour day but most are being forced to start work 1 hour earlier to sort the mail. This hour is NOT Paid for and if any postie refuses to do this Unpaid overtime then they will be suspended.

Not only that most posties do not take their designated 45 minute luch break ffor if they did they would never finish their round as there is so much mail to deliver. So This is more unpaid overtime they are losing out of.

This is how the Royal Mail Bosses will reduce manpower when they bring in machinery to sort the mail in all sorting offices. The Posties will no longer have to sort their own mail and all they will have to do is to deliver it.

But this comes with a price as Royal Mail says it will taake them 4 hours a day to deliver the mail. So this means all the posties need only be employed as Part Time Workers and so will get a 50% Pay Cut.

They have been told just to go and get another Part Time Job to top up therir wages. Where they will find one is another matter.

But the worst thing is that being a Part time worker they will not have the same protection of employment as a Full time worker. This means anyone could get the sack from his/her manager for any reason at any time. In otherwise they would loose all and any Job Security.

Ask yourself just one thing. Why is the government not insisting that both sides go to ACAS. The reason is because they want to break Royal Mail and sell it off until there is no longer such a company. They should not be allowed to do this as this is OUR Royal Mail and is the envy of the world.

tonkatojo
25-Oct-09, 01:28

Is it not different if its supposed to be coming by parcel force albeit delivered by the regular postie ??. are there not "zones" now to rip us off.

But I am still for the working man's rights, all they want is a fair days pay for a fair days work.

Katy
25-Oct-09, 09:26

bhoy1973 I do not appreciate being called thick! this is typical.org this days pick pick pick but as everyone always says each to your own opinion but as usual someone gets a bee in there bonnet and goes off on one causing trouble all the way!

I know everything is the same price re weight and I am not paying for a courier service....considering it arrives by the Postie not a courier.

Kxx

Jester
25-Oct-09, 09:57
As somebody who originates from central England, it is well known down there that the price of a stamp subsidises post in rural and distant areas.
Many would consider it fair that people who live in rural, or island communities, should pick up the true extra cost of the service they receive. Thus, posting anything outside Caithness would become a lot more expensive.
As mentioned on here previously, this is not presently the case, and I would suggest that the service that the Royal Mail provide is very reasonably priced. If, and I suspect when, the Royal Mail gets privatised, you can rest assured that the cost of postage in Caithness will rise.
In large cities and towns, where Inverness may only just fit into that category, true competition will arise, and postal costs may fall.
My personal opinion is Caithness should be backing what we presently have, because I only forsee change making things worse for us.

d4ved
25-Oct-09, 10:46
Katy you're entitled to say how you feel on the strikes, but to be called thick, i mean seriously?!

Katy
25-Oct-09, 10:52
Katy you're entitled to say how you feel on the strikes, but to be called thick, i mean seriously?!

Thanks D4ved much appriecated. Everyone is entitiled to say how they feel about everything. I might not agree with a lot of peoples opinions on here but I certainly don't be nasty or anything towards them. It would be a rather boring world if we all thought the same.....everyone is entitled to there own opinion without someone going off on one just because "they" don't agree with it!
Thanks again D4ved
Kxxx

tonkatojo
25-Oct-09, 11:02
As somebody who originates from central England, it is well known down there that the price of a stamp subsidises post in rural and distant areas.
Many would consider it fair that people who live in rural, or island communities, should pick up the true extra cost of the service they receive. Thus, posting anything outside Caithness would become a lot more expensive.
As mentioned on here previously, this is not presently the case, and I would suggest that the service that the Royal Mail provide is very reasonably priced. If, and I suspect when, the Royal Mail gets privatised, you can rest assured that the cost of postage in Caithness will rise.
In large cities and towns, where Inverness may only just fit into that category, true competition will arise, and postal costs may fall.
My personal opinion is Caithness should be backing what we presently have, because I only forsee change making things worse for us.

What tosh, this is supposed to be a united kingdom, where do you justify the London wages from, I can't remember the term used but isn't it "loaded" because its London.
Answer why the costs are different going South to coming North with parcels by " parcel force", the mileage is the same labour involvement is the same.

Kevin Milkins
25-Oct-09, 11:36
On Wednesday I sent some photos to my mother in law in South Wales, and used second class post in an A4 envelope . She phoned yesterday delighted to have received them. :Razz

The second biggest lie ever used is " the cheque is in the post" and I bet that old nugget is getting a bashing just now.

Being a postie is a tough job and I don't blame them for trying to protect what they have, however I think they may be playing into the hands of the management in the same way the miners did when Thatcher was in power.
Good luck to them and if my bills don't turn up I will not hold them responsible.

Mr P Cannop
25-Oct-09, 11:43
its sad how royal mail treat their staff

sms
25-Oct-09, 11:59
Im seriously annoyed at the people on this .org for giving Katy such a hard time about what she has said.

How dare some of u call Katy thick. We all have opinions and that we shouldnt be criticised for that.

I run my own business from home and yes i have to work the odd 10mins free until parents pick up their children those 10 minutes mount up in a week/Year.

tonkatojo
25-Oct-09, 12:33
On Wednesday I sent some photos to my mother in law in South Wales, and used second class post in an A4 envelope . She phoned yesterday delighted to have received them. :Razz

The second biggest lie ever used is " the cheque is in the post" and I bet that old nugget is getting a bashing just now.

Being a postie is a tough job and I don't blame them for trying to protect what they have, however I think they may be playing into the hands of the management in the same way the miners did when Thatcher was in power.
Good luck to them and if my bills don't turn up I will not hold them responsible.

I fail to see how they could do any other than withdraw their labour, when they were backed into a corner by the thatcher/hatchet men.
A fair days work for a fair days pay. Was/is my motto.

I agree about the inconsistency of the service though, Why is the question.

Kodiak
25-Oct-09, 12:36
I know everything is the same price re weight and I am not paying for a courier service....considering it arrives by the Postie not a courier.

Kxx

I do not suppose you know this but just because a Packet is delivered by a Royal Mail Postie it does NOT mean it was posted by Royal Mail.

Since only about 50% of the UK, this includes all of the Highland and Islands of Scotland, receives deliveries from other so called postal services. ie TNT, UK Mail etc. These companies have no way or organisation to deliver Letters or Packets to their customers.

So Postcomm decided in their wisdom that anything that they could not deliver the Royal Mail Posties should deliver for them. Not only that but to make sure that these companies could still make a Profit Royal Mail had to deliver them even if thay made a Loss in the process.

This way when tenders go out for Business mail other companies can put in a unrealistic tender knowing that if thay can not deliver the mail then Royal Mail will have to and they will incur any losses and not them. Postcomm say that Royal Mail can not put in a Tender any lower than then cost of what they charge all users. ie for a letter the cost of either a first or second class stamp.

The Scottish Government announced just last week that they had given the contract to TNT for all of their Business Mail. They did knowing full well that Royal Mail will have to deliver about 55% of this mial to their final destinations and will in the process Lose several Millions of Pounds.

In the UK Royal Mail deliver 99% of ALL Letter Mail to their Final Destinations no matter what company they were frist sent by or collected by. This can also include Packets up to a certain size that can be delivered by a Walking Postie.

So if you do receive a Packet and it is from your normal postie on his round, it might not have been posted by Royal Mail, it was just delivered by them and at a Loss to them.

K.B
25-Oct-09, 16:34
Doesnt any of you understand where katy is coming from,im with her!!

any of you running a business and expecting mail (like katy)will know exactly where she is coming from.and whats going to happen,if this strike carries on, when it comes to sending xmas presents the tables will turn then and im sure ul all be with katy then
typical of the org though

K.B
25-Oct-09, 16:48

people are entitled to their opinion on anything,but to turn and call someone thick for voicing theirs....c'mon!!!

Katy
25-Oct-09, 16:55
Doesnt any of you understand where katy is coming from,im with her!!

any of you running a business and expecting mail (like katy)will know exactly where she is coming from.and whats going to happen,if this strike carries on, when it comes to sending xmas presents the tables will turn then and im sure ul all be with katy then
typical of the org though

Thanks K.B thought there would have been others thinking in the same lines as me....
Thanks again xx

ss.sv650
25-Oct-09, 17:42
well said is it not the bosses that are causing the problems and we got post both days all junk though can you nice posties not just chuck the junk in the bin !!!!!!!!!!

and yea 'thick' sorry but thats a bit much for the org thought we were all friends here well almost all frie.................

bhoy1973
25-Oct-09, 17:53
It appears calling someone 'thick' on the "org" isn't acceptable. How about intellectually challenged then? Is that more acceptable?

Jester
25-Oct-09, 18:27
What tosh, this is supposed to be a united kingdom, where do you justify the London wages from, I can't remember the term used but isn't it "loaded" because its London.
Answer why the costs are different going South to coming North with parcels by " parcel force", the mileage is the same labour involvement is the same.

Indeed it is supposed to be a United Kingdom, although the drive for Scottish independence somewhat goes against this - a whole new discussion there!
As I do not work in the postal industry, I have no idea how North V South bound parcels are different in price :eek:. If this is so, it is wrong :confused.
I still maintain that any change in the overall system will be a poor move for Caithness and the surrounding areas.

Kevin Milkins
25-Oct-09, 19:55
It appears calling someone 'thick' on the "org" isn't acceptable. How about intellectually challenged then? Is that more acceptable?

Have you considered reading the book "how to win friends and influence people"

You may be surprised to hear that it is not nice to call anyone thick, (on or off the org). I think it may come under the heading of being rude.

K.B
25-Oct-09, 20:01
here here kevin.......i TOTALLY agree ;)

tonkatojo
25-Oct-09, 20:06
Have you considered reading the book "how to win friends and influence people"

You may be surprised to hear that it is not nice to call anyone thick, (on or off the org). I think it may come under the heading of being rude.

Sticks n stones Kevin, some folk havn't got the knowledge/wit of some. Water off a ducks back to me, I have got greater problems than listening/reading and being offended. But I agree it's not called for.

bhoy1973
25-Oct-09, 20:16

golach
25-Oct-09, 20:32
Sorry if i've offended you in any way Golach. Its maybe difficult for the postal staff but if they are not happy can't they find another job?!
Katy, you had not offended me by your original post that I replied to.
But to make a remark such as " can't they find another job " I do find that a tad offensive and a little bit insensitive.

Katy
25-Oct-09, 21:00
Katy, you had not offended me by your original post that I replied to.
But to make a remark such as " can't they find another job " I do find that a tad offensive and a little bit insensitive.

Sorry Golach I didn't meant to sound offensive or insensitive in anyway I maybe didn't word it in the most suitably and didn't mean to offend anyone in anyway.

I just feel if people are not happy in there jobs they should make an attempt to find something else. I before had a job I loved but was not happy for various reasons and had to make the hard decision to leave but it was defo better for me in the long run. Life is to short to be unhappy :( I do know though that in this day in age jobs are harder to come by.

Kxx

Mr P Cannop
29-Oct-09, 21:00
another 3 days of the strikes wonder if we will get any mail ??

Venture
29-Oct-09, 21:16
The only day the posties are on strike in Wick is Saturday.

Mr P Cannop
29-Oct-09, 22:19
think we will still get some mail then ??

Blast!
31-Oct-09, 02:45
think we will still get some mail then ??

If those poor wee posties can drag themselves off their skinned knees and tear soaked palms off the dog-dirt ridden streets and do the job they're paid for then we might get a result!

Mr. P. Cannop, you know as well as we (caithness.orgers) do...what have public sector strikes actually achieved in the past? I say: GET BACK TO WORK YOU LAZY MAN!

I'm waiting for the new Britney Spears CD after all!

(eh Daily Record gave it 9/10)

Nacho
31-Oct-09, 03:36
am i being thick ?!

most people i've asked don't actually know why the royal mail is going on strike...

here's my understanding , please correct me if i'm wrong ...

a new computerised/mechanised sorting system is being introduced that will turn thousands of full time jobs into part time jobs ...

is this the main crux of the arguement ?

BINBOB
31-Oct-09, 11:34
another 3 days of the strikes wonder if we will get any mail ??

Have had absolutely no problem getting mail/parcels etc.Had my mail delivered as normal....well done Halkirk posties!!!;):D

theboysintheband
06-Nov-09, 12:34
Sorry Golach I didn't meant to sound offensive or insensitive in anyway I maybe didn't word it in the most suitably and didn't mean to offend anyone in anyway.

I just feel if people are not happy in there jobs they should make an attempt to find something else. I before had a job I loved but was not happy for various reasons and had to make the hard decision to leave but it was defo better for me in the long run. Life is to short to be unhappy :( I do know though that in this day in age jobs are harder to come by.

Kxx

Its not that they're unhappy working as posties. Its not like they decided, sod this, I can't be bothered delievering MORE letters today so am gonna go on strike until they give me something better to do.

They are striking to keep their jobs. As full-time security.

And there aren't exactly plenty jobs going spare at the moment, hence the strike in-order to keep what they've got.

I can see why you're annoyed but can't you see, like a few 'typical orgers' have pointed out, if the strike is a success it will be better for you and your business.

Hoida
06-Nov-09, 16:40
Believe there will be no postal strikes this side of Christmas We can't complain up here as I don't think we were affected I understand very few are members of the union:lol:

ChuckBuscuits
06-Nov-09, 23:00
Believe there will be no postal strikes this side of Christmas We can't complain up here as I don't think we were affected I understand very few are members of the union:lol:

y'all don't live in wick then.
98% of posties in wick are union members.
allegedly ;)