PDA

View Full Version : Are there vampires in Portgower?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Turquoise
23-Oct-09, 10:35
Decided to start a new thread for this theory on the subject of there being no daywalkers in Portgower!!

I saw the most amazing thing one night driving through one Friday night...

There were 2 tourists standing at the 'Welcome to Portgower' signs and they were the splitting image of Tubbs and Edward from League of Gentlemen. They were even dressed the same... :lol:

I maybe would have stopped the car to ask them to pose for a photo but I feared for my very life!!!

northener
23-Oct-09, 11:55
What's odd is you're not the first to comment on this. There was a thread at least a year ago on the very same subject and I've noticed the eerie lack of humans every time I go through......

The speed limit is 40 through there...I go through at 40 if I'm feeling particularly brave...70 if I'm not:eek:

Has anyone ever seen a human walking in Portgower?

teddybear1873
23-Oct-09, 11:55
Decided to start a new thread for this theory on the subject of there being no daywalkers in Portgower!!

There were 2 tourists standing at the 'Welcome to Portgower' signs and they were the splitting image of Tubbs and Edward from League of Gentlemen. They were even dressed the same... :lol:

I maybe would have stopped the car to ask them to pose for a photo but I feared for my very life!!!

Strange......Must have been a mirage.

Phill
23-Oct-09, 12:00

Y'know, now you mention it........ I don't think I've seen anyone during the day either!

Don't be worried about Tubbs & Edward, they'll just be visiting from Dunbeath.

Cat, Pigeons........

teddybear1873
23-Oct-09, 12:07
What's odd is you're not the first to comment on this. There was a thread at least a year ago on the very same subject and I've noticed the eerie lack of humans every time I go through......

The speed limit is 40 through there...I go through at 40 if I'm feeling particularly brave...70 if I'm not:eek:

Has anyone ever seen a human walking in Portgower?

Can't say I have, unless they turn into rabbits.

jim baxter
23-Oct-09, 12:13

maybe they were from brigadoon

changilass
23-Oct-09, 12:14
Its a well known fact that they are aliens not vampires.

Have been making sure all the doors are locked on the car for years now - central locking has certainly saved a lot of time and worry over the years.

Tis not a good place to loiter. Having said that, I bet no one pees at the botttom of their gardens.

Turquoise
23-Oct-09, 12:25
Well, every time we drive through we have a frantic sweepstake of "Are we going to see anyone today?"

My OH just about crashed when I yelped another time when I saw people there. That would bring them down out of the hills I think. Imagine the next big horror being:

"The Helms' Have Eyes" [evil]

:eek:

northener
23-Oct-09, 12:27
......Tis not a good place to loiter. Having said that, I bet no one pees at the botttom of their gardens.

Aye, they all go up to Mid-Clyth for a slash.:Razz

Another thing about Portgower, I always feel like I'm being 'watched'.......:eek:

jings00
23-Oct-09, 12:29
"My OH just about crashed when I yelped another time when I saw people there. That would bring them down out of the hills I think. Imagine the next big horror being:

"The Helms' Have Eyes" [evil]

:eek:[/QUOTE]

LOL LOL
i was comin up on the bus fae snekky a couple o weeks ago and a guy got off the bus and had a suitcase, even.........
this was after dark admittedly

Dog-eared
23-Oct-09, 12:35
I did see a figure once in "Portglower" . Don't know if it was human though,I just floored it !! :lol:

Phill
23-Oct-09, 12:38
Another thing about Portgower, I always feel like I'm being 'watched'.......:eek:

Make sure your wearing your crucifix lad!

They can smell your fear.

Dog-eared
23-Oct-09, 12:50
Inside Portgower houses -

The cold October wind howls outside, driving rain fleetingly caught in the orange glow of the distant streetlights....
A pile of cobweb covered unopened mail on the lobby floor and strange , quiet, scratching, clawing noises coming from upstairs, where a faint , flickering glow casts weird , twisted shadows on the wall. Did that shadow twitch just then.....??

Do you go up for a look..........?

Phill
23-Oct-09, 13:10

The cold October wind howls outside, driving rain fleetingly caught in the orange glow of the distant streetlights....
A pile of cobweb covered unopened mail on the lobby floor and strange , quiet, scratching, clawing noises coming from upstairs, where a faint , flickering glow casts weird , twisted shadows on the wall. Did that shadow twitch just then.....??

Sounds like a B&B I stayed in.

Turquoise
23-Oct-09, 13:10

Are you 'aving a bubble baff? You wouldn't get me up there for all the tea in China!!!

My friend and I actually knew someone who lived there, maybe 10 years ago and we stopped at his house to pick something up. Even he left the engine running, so what does that say??

Haven't seen him since, I'm sure I'd still recognise him though 'cos vampires don't age :D

Phill
23-Oct-09, 13:21
Maybe it's just a diversion, start the rumour about vampires and we all stay away but it's actually a Roswellesque Area 51 for aliens!
The next thing you know we'll be modelling mountains out of smash and plasticine.

Rourkee
23-Oct-09, 17:48
Its a well known fact that no one lives in Portgower! There is however a ghostly creature that enters the village before dusk and turns on various house lights and then returns at dawn to switch them off.

Kirdon
23-Oct-09, 19:24
Its a well known fact that no one lives in Portgower! There is however a ghostly creature that enters the village before dusk and turns on various house lights and then returns at dawn to switch them off.

Aye! and when there is snow on the ground this ghostly creature runs around trying to get loads of footprints to make it look like there are people actually living there.

Jeid
23-Oct-09, 19:36
i saw 4 people in Portgower one day... I nearly put the car off the road.

northener
23-Oct-09, 19:42
i saw 4 people in Portgower one day... I nearly put the car off the road.

Were they sort of lurching along with their arms outstretched?

domino
23-Oct-09, 19:44
Aye, they all go up to Mid-Clyth for a slash.:Razz

Very good Northener, like it

ciderally
23-Oct-09, 19:48
i saw a man ? from a distance he was in a garden with a rake over his shoulder.....or was it a sythe.......grim reaper me thinks?

Mik.M.
23-Oct-09, 21:54
Just back from Sneckie,came through Portgower didn`t see anyone.

katarina
23-Oct-09, 22:10
I must've travelled that road hundreds of times, and ONCE I saw a man in his garden. I once knew a couple who moved away to Portgower - come to think about it, I've never seen them since!

Rourkee
23-Oct-09, 23:33
Just back from Sneckie,came through Portgower didn`t see anyone.

And you never will![evil]

ClachanHope
24-Oct-09, 11:04
This is so funny, folks. I'm originally from Helmsdale and I can warn you, that if you do ever see daywalkers in Portgower, under no circumstances should you stop and speak to them. They are different!!!!! :eek:
As for someone seeing a gardener with a rake...beware..!!!!!
The only time there may be daywalkers in Portgower is the youngsters waiting for the school bus. But then you still won't see them as they will be hiding in the bus shelter.[para]
I went to school with a lad from Portgower and I should warn you all that he now lives in Wick..!!!!! That is why I have moved to Wick as well, to keep an eye on him. Us Helmies are the chosen ones. We know how to handle the daywalkers from Portgower.
Portgower Daywalkers are different....!!!!!:evil

starry
24-Oct-09, 14:09
I love this thread, it is funniest thing I have read on here for ages.

teddybear1873
24-Oct-09, 15:38
So who is going to have the courage to spend a night in Portgower on Halloween? I would but I'm too far away, so I reckon 1 or 2 orgers should do it's very own ' Most Haunted ' then give us some feedback on the events of that night.

KitKat
24-Oct-09, 19:37
My car once broke down late afternoon in the pouring rain at Portgower. I knocked on FIVE different doors and got no answer. Three cars drove past withour stopping. Even the guy in the big Stevens lorry thundered past. I was just about to hoof it to Helmsdale when I decide to try the engine again. Thankfully the car started and I drove away out of there like the proverbial bat out of hell. I always keep my phone ready when I drive through now just in case this time the aliens get me.........

teddybear1873
24-Oct-09, 19:39
My car once broke down late afternoon in the pouring rain at Portgower. I knocked on FIVE different doors and got no answer. Three cars drove past withour stopping. Even the guy in the big Stevens lorry thundered past. I was just about to hoof it to Helmsdale when I decide to try the engine again. Thankfully the car started and I drove away out of there like the proverbial bat out of hell. I always keep my phone ready when I drive through now just in case this time the aliens get me.........

Whatever you do, 'UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, GO TO THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT'

sprocketman
24-Oct-09, 21:03
I had to deliver a parcel to a house there once it was 9am on a Sunday morning. I stood for ages at the door waiting only to be greeted by a woman with the darkest black beard av ever seen with the deepst voice. Now you think may this was a bloke. But you'd wrong She had a pinky coloured dressing gown and womans slippers. And i thought to myself God this woman should be in Scooby Doo.

teddybear1873
24-Oct-09, 21:30
I had to deliver a parcel to a house there once it was 9am on a Sunday morning. I stood for ages at the door waiting only to be greeted by a woman with the darkest black beard av ever seen with the deepst voice. Now you think may this was a bloke. But you'd wrong She had a pinky coloured dressing gown and womans slippers. And i thought to myself God this woman should be in Scooby Doo.

It wasn't Shaggy was it?

Phill
24-Oct-09, 21:38
Stuff Scooby Doo & Shaggy!

I want Buffy....phwoar!
(purely in a professional sense that is.....honest.......)

Scooby dooby doooooooooooooooooo

northener
24-Oct-09, 22:19

I have a picture of this person......

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/tcr/lowres/tcrn172l.jpg

ywindythesecond
25-Oct-09, 00:04
Does anyone remember CB Radio and "Handles" ? Portgower was "Electric City" because it had streetlights.

Jeid
25-Oct-09, 04:07
I saw someone get on the bus there one day... I phoned my mate I was so shocked.

Phill
25-Oct-09, 12:03
So who is going to have the courage to spend a night in Portgower on Halloween? I would but I'm too far away, so I reckon 1 or 2 orgers should do it's very own ' Most Haunted ' then give us some feedback on the events of that night.

Now this is an idea!!

I think it'd be a scoop for the tellybox program.... with Whyvette Fielding & Derk Acorah, a few has been wish they were nearly once a celeb's.

Quality.

Kenn
25-Oct-09, 14:29
Ah hah, now we have the answer, they get on the bus and are never seen again,must be some thing to do with them crossing the invisible force field that surrounds the area and once they leave they cannot return.
Do you realise there could be a whole generations of ghostly folk roaming the hills of Sutherland?

northener
25-Oct-09, 14:33
Maybe the sign entering Portgower should read:

Welcome to Portgower
(Twinned with the Marie Celeste)

elamanya
25-Oct-09, 14:37
i think that it might have something to do with the clearances, maybee the people in portgower are scared of being put in boats and sent away to a far of land , even further than wick

3of8
25-Oct-09, 15:44
Maybe the sign entering Portgower should read:

Welcome to Portgower
(Twinned with the Marie Celeste)

Or maybe...

Welcome to Portgower
(Twinned with the Marie Celeste Transylvania)

3of8
25-Oct-09, 15:47
I've got to go through Portgower about 5.30 on Thursday morning. Any advice on what protection will be needed if I dare to stop and photograph the welcome sign? Or pee at the end of someone's garden?

teddybear1873
25-Oct-09, 15:54
I've got to go through Portgower about 5.30 on Thursday morning. Any advice on what protection will be needed if I dare to stop and photograph the welcome sign? Or pee at the end of someone's garden?

Peeing there is a bad idea, you don't want the Grim Reaper running out with his sythe and slicing it off.

Kirdon
25-Oct-09, 17:35

Condoms offer good protection and you can then take your pee home as well.

Vistravi
25-Oct-09, 17:40
This thread is hilarious :lol:[lol]

ClachanHope
25-Oct-09, 20:03

I've already posted a warning to everyone about Portgower...you are SO lucky to have survived your adventure there, and SO lucky that no one answered their door to you..you would never have been seen again. [evil] And there is no phone signal in Portgower....!!!! But don't ever be tempted to use the phonebox....it's a lure....As for the last house on the left, I presume you mean when heading north....Stay clear...!!!!:lol:

tartanyorkie
25-Oct-09, 20:50
I said the same thing about Reay.

elamanya
25-Oct-09, 22:51
the last house on the left when heading north , is that right, and rumour has it the phone box is actually a star gate ,

upolian
26-Oct-09, 08:06
the last house on the left when heading north , is that right, and rumour has it the phone box is actually a star gate ,
this is true.....it took me directly to 'wick'

Turquoise
26-Oct-09, 10:30
Ever seen the film "Jacob's Ladder"? The last time I came past Portgower on the train it was like the Death Train scene in reverse, when I looked at the windows of the houses!!!

elamanya
26-Oct-09, 10:35
mmmmm gonna try the phone box on friday as i have to drive to inverness, but what happens if i go back to wick.. will i try it..

Leanne
26-Oct-09, 10:50
mmmmm gonna try the phone box on friday as i have to drive to inverness, but what happens if i go back to wick.. will i try it..

Maybe if you go into it backwards it will send you south?

Phill
26-Oct-09, 12:00
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/sutherland/photogallery/index.php?gallery=15&start=0

Bill Fernie is one of them or a conspirator.

32 photo's of Portgower and not a living person in any of them, how did he take them and get out alive??????

Not even any sheep or coo's!!!!!

Only in the last photo is there a dog, but is this a devil dog? Or was this the last moments of the poor wee doggy before he was taken?

Phill
26-Oct-09, 12:26

It's the truth, I'm tellin yer....

http://s805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/thetruthisoutthere.jpg

Turquoise
26-Oct-09, 12:42

http://s805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/thetruthisoutthere.jpg

That is absolutely fantastic, what a laugh that gave me :lol:

It really was not far off this!!!

Thank you Phill, that's made my day :Razz

elamanya
26-Oct-09, 12:46
is that a tescos in the background ??????

sids
26-Oct-09, 13:12
Tacitus, in his Annals of Ancient Rome, recounts that the Ninth Roman Legion went into the last house on the left in Portgower to use the toilet.

elamanya
26-Oct-09, 13:22
at least they went into the house, seems like nowadays they just squat down beside there chariots, !!!!!!

Dog-eared
26-Oct-09, 13:24
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/halloween/gif_houses/halloween_houses_28.jpg

northener
26-Oct-09, 13:36
Tacitus, in his Annals of Ancient Rome, recounts that the Ninth Roman Legion went into the last house on the left in Portgower to use the toilet.

:lol:Nice one!

Turquoise
26-Oct-09, 13:48

Look there's a nasty witch peeing at the bottom of the garden and Vicky x seems to have just had enough!

Phill
26-Oct-09, 14:13

...and one of them left the seat up and it all started from there.....

elamanya
26-Oct-09, 15:13
was one of the romans called Armitage Shanks by any chance

Rheghead
26-Oct-09, 16:39
I've seen a lot of orgers offering their 2p on this subject.

It's weird that Portgower is an anagram of

TWO P ORGER :eek:

Bobinovich
26-Oct-09, 16:41
Aaargh! We're in the Twiglet zone :eek:

Jeid
26-Oct-09, 16:57
Drove through Portgower today, they must be reading this and sending people out in their droves... saw 3 people today!

Has anyone ever looked at the set of garages in the village? One of them is always open, sometimes with a car parked halfway in it, but there's never EVER anyone in the garage working on the car!

Playing "spot the person" in Portgower is a personal favourite game of mine!

Venture
26-Oct-09, 17:46

Brilliant Phill. This is one of the funniest threads on the org for a long time. Keep it coming.[lol]

ClachanHope
26-Oct-09, 21:14

Is this Hamish & Esther????

teddybear1873
26-Oct-09, 21:19
The Portgower locals (or is it local) should be thankful with this thread. The tourist season will be booming there.

teddybear1873
26-Oct-09, 21:23
I've seen a lot of orgers offering their 2p on this subject.

It's weird that Portgower is an anagram of

TWO P ORGER :eek:

As well as

REGROW POT

GROPER TWO

elamanya
26-Oct-09, 21:32
Is this Hamish & Esther????
are they the ones who have the B&B at the bottom of the hill.

Rheghead
26-Oct-09, 21:36
As well as

REGROW POT

GROPER TWO

For a second there I thought you were actually referring to a well known orger:lol: It was the effect of those two anagrams together that did it.

POT GROWER

northener
26-Oct-09, 21:58
For a second there I thought you were actually referring to a well known orger:lol: It was the effect of those two anagrams together that did it.

POT GROWER

All is revealed.....

The whole place is shrouded in a smog of Hashish.......thus rendering us insensible as we drive through....and the stoners/occupants invisible....

Anyone want to swap houses? I've got a nice 2 bedroomed hoose in Keiss I'll swap for a shed in Portgower:Razz!

elamanya
26-Oct-09, 22:04
All is revealed.....

The whole place is shrouded in a smog of Hashish.......thus rendering us insensible as we drive through....and the stoners/occupants invisible....

Anyone want to swap houses? I've got a nice 2 bedroomed hoose in Keiss I'll swap for a shed in Portgower:Razz!
or a greenhouse

Bazeye
26-Oct-09, 22:24
or a greenhouse

Let the bidding commence.:)

sids
27-Oct-09, 08:57
The Portgower locals (or is it local) should be thankful with this thread. The tourist season will be booming there.

Not for long it won't when the tourists don't actually get home again.

Anyone else had a look at the map and correlated it with data on the mysterious occurrences? It appears to happen in an area bounded by Loth Station, Gartymore and the last house on the left.

Anthropologists report fearful gibberings about a "Devil's Triangle" among nomadic peoples (Toerag tribesman and Bedridden Arabs) of the surrounding area.

FACT.

The sad thing is Gordon Brown and his cronies will probably do nothing about it.

Phill
27-Oct-09, 10:09
Anyone else had a look at the map and correlated it with data on the mysterious occurrences? It appears to happen in an area bounded by Loth Station, Gartymore and the last house on the left.

Anthropologists report fearful gibberings about a "Devil's Triangle" among nomadic peoples (Toerag tribesman and Bedridden Arabs) of the surrounding area.

FACT.

OMG!!!! :eek:

I had a quick look on the satellite overlay for the "Devil's Trangle" just look at the rock formations North of Portgower, it's as clear as day..........

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/idontbelievemyeyes.jpg

RUN, RUN for the hills.....no, not the hills, RUN, run the other way!

katarina
27-Oct-09, 10:39
Obviously none of the residents are on the org either. At least one could put in a good word for the place- even if they just visit at night!

northener
27-Oct-09, 10:39
OMG!!!! :eek:

I had a quick look on the satellite overlay for the "Devil's Trangle" just look at the rock formations North of Portgower, it's as clear as day..........

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/idontbelievemyeyes.jpg

RUN, RUN for the hills.....no, not the hills, RUN, run the other way!

Argh! Sea monsters! Run back to the hills!

northener
27-Oct-09, 10:58

.....Anthropologists report fearful gibberings about a "Devil's Triangle" among nomadic peoples (Toerag tribesman and Bedridden Arabs) of the surrounding area........

Aye, that'll be in the aftermath of 'The Great Porridge Famine' of 1774 that forced many Toerags to uplift from Lybster and head for new pastures.

Their tales of disappearances and strange goings-on in Portgower have been passed down through the generations by being inscribed on bus shelter walls across the whole of the North of Scotland.

One tale reveals how a charabanc full of jazz players en route from Pitlochry to Thrumster simply disappeared into thin air after leaving Brora, they were last seen knocking on the door of a house in Portgower asking for a glass of water.
People have heard ghostly freestyle jazz music echoing around the Portgower hills...and a strange glowing cloud that is said to resemble Acker Bilk is sometimes spotted over the village.....

davie
27-Oct-09, 12:25
Obviously none of the residents are on the org either. At least one could put in a good word for the place- even if they just visit at night!

As a 2 year Pokeyrow resident some 40+ years ago I am getting a bit fed up with all this supposition.
Just because I have two sharp front toofs and have been known to chew on a few necks does not mean I is a Vampire !.

Dog-eared
27-Oct-09, 12:30
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/41339/2478701750103830173S600x600Q85.jpgPortgower "Acker Bilk " cloud yesterday.

Turquoise
27-Oct-09, 12:45
As a 2 year Pokeyrow resident some 40+ years ago I am getting a bit fed up with all this supposition.
Just because I have two sharp front toofs and have been known to chew on a few necks does not mean I is a Vampire !.

Davie, are you sure you don't mean 400+ years ago?

Portgower has recently been suggested as a site of great archaeological importance as it pre-dates both Skara Brae and the Great Pyramids.

They might know how old it was, if there were any archaeologists brave enough to go in and actually excavate it!

Shabbychic
27-Oct-09, 12:58
Davie, are you sure you don't mean 400+ years ago?

Portgower has recently been suggested as a site of great archaeological importance as it pre-dates both Skara Brae and the Great Pyramids.

They might know how old it was, if there were any archaeologists brave enough to go in and actually excavate it!

OK, I'll go in. I've watched Time Team, Buffy and Most Haunted. I know how to do this...I do, honest.

Before I go, do mobile phones work there, or should I take Derek Acorah in with me just in case?

elamanya
27-Oct-09, 13:06
going into portgower.... i just read that Ross Kemp refused to go in to mingle with the vampire gang, ran of screaming give me the taliban any day !!!!!

teddybear1873
27-Oct-09, 13:07
OK, I'll go in. I've watched Time Team, Buffy and Most Haunted. I know how to do this...I do, honest.

Before I go, do mobile phones work there, or should I take Derek Acorah in with me just in case?

Don't think Derek Acorah will be of any help, he's about as much use a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Shabbychic
27-Oct-09, 13:11
Don't think Derek Acorah will be of any help, he's about as much use a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Yes, but I can run faster than him.:D

northener
27-Oct-09, 13:15
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/41339/2478701750103830173S600x600Q85.jpgPortgower "Acker Bilk " cloud yesterday.

And you all thought I was making it up, didn't you?[lol]

sids
27-Oct-09, 13:21
One tale reveals how a charabanc full of jazz players en route from Pitlochry to Thrumster simply disappeared into thin air after leaving Brora, they were last seen knocking on the door of a house in Portgower asking for a glass of water.

That was Glenn Miller, in December 1944.

And what about those young rock&roll artistes who went missing in Feb 1959? Now they're doomed to play at the Portgower Tropical Bonsai Park for eternity.....

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/RHPOD/685-346.jpg

Turquoise
27-Oct-09, 13:24

Hmm, doubtful that there will be any mobile phone signal there in a Bermuda Triangle sort of way...

You see, it's a magnetic hotspot and the makers of Lost actually based the programme on Portgower.

You could take a baseball and chuck it out in a Poltergeist inspired plea for help?

northener
27-Oct-09, 13:24
That was Glenn Miller, in December 1944.

And what about those young rock&roll artistes who went missing in Feb 1959? Now they're doomed to play at the Portgower Portgower Tropical Bonsai Park for eternity.....

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/RHPOD/685-346.jpg

I always thought that statue was erected in memory of the third Proclaimers triplet who disappeared in the Portgower area?

Yer learn summat every day on here.......

elamanya
27-Oct-09, 13:32
didnt they all play with the Bunilidh trio in the late seventies, im sure they look familiar

Turquoise
27-Oct-09, 13:35
Incidentally, don't even get me started on the Belgrave Arms...it has underground tunnels that run over to Portgower! They were believed to have been scraped out by hand (or fingernail) in excess of 3000 years ago...

elamanya
27-Oct-09, 13:40
Oh my god look at poor davy he went into the phone box over 40 years ago pressed button B and landed in Kinbrace, now this is getting way to scary ....

davie
27-Oct-09, 13:58
didnt they all play with the Bunilidh trio in the late seventies, im sure they look familiar

I knew I had seen you somewhere before !!. I played button box with the Bunillidh Trio at a dance in Portgower in 1678, or was it 1679 ??.

Were you the one that guzzled all my half bottle and then took off on a broomstick before I could get you in to the coffin ??.

This is good for me. At my advanced age short term memory loss kicks in but I can remember the 1600's in Pokyrow and the 'Dale like it was yesterday !.

Phill
27-Oct-09, 15:22

Mobiles don't work. But you could take an old ham radio with you and use it like in the film Frequency.
It might just break through the time-space continuum and someone will hear your pleas for help, they probably will hear them in 2298 but it may bring you some comfort.

cuthill
27-Oct-09, 16:03
On A gloomy and wet day this thread had me in stitches.

elamanya
27-Oct-09, 17:55
I knew I had seen you somewhere before !!. I played button box with the Bunillidh Trio at a dance in Portgower in 1678, or was it 1679 ??.

Were you the one that guzzled all my half bottle and then took off on a broomstick before I could get you in to the coffin ??.

This is good for me. At my advanced age short term memory loss kicks in but I can remember the 1600's in Pokyrow and the 'Dale like it was yesterday !.
oops my mistake davy it was 1678 not 1978, doesnt time fly when you go in and out that phone box, i did indeed take a dram from your half bottle dam fine moonshine if i may say so, have you still got the old still up in glenn miller

ClachanHope
27-Oct-09, 18:12
are they the ones who have the B&B at the bottom of the hill.

No Hamish & Esther live near the centre of the village, and the last house on the left belongs to her family...........beware, and another word of warning,:eek: MOBILE PHONES DO NOT WORK IN PORTGOWER.....

And how did someone find out about the tunnels connecting the Belgrave with Portgower???? That has been a well kept secret.....[evil]

Kenn
27-Oct-09, 19:41
Personly I blame the configuration of the ley lines combined with the equinoxial tides and the harmonics created by the great quake that caused a huge tsunami that hit the coast some thouands of years back.All this together with the earths magnetic field wobble has created a white hole, an extremely rare phenomenom not to be confused with black holes which are two a penny in comparison.
If not Mr Einstein has some explaining to do!

elamanya
27-Oct-09, 19:50
i just rang a person in portgower to see if there are daywalkers there... they put me on hold then the music started... DUELLING BANJOS.. !!!!!:roll:

Dog-eared
28-Oct-09, 13:05
http://steadyoffload.com:8080/T43C1WX2KF.aHR0cDovL3RoZXkubWlzbGVkLnVzL3dwL3dwLWN vbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDA3LzA4L2RlbGl2ZXJhbmNlLW1pZ 2h0eS1wdXJ0eS1tb3V0aC5qcGVn....

Bill Fernie
28-Oct-09, 14:55
My visit to take photos in 2003 was prompted by a question in this very forum. the odd question was "Why is Portgower?"

Well that did set me thinking and with my innate curiousity I determined that I would when next passing try to find out.

I simply headed into the village and knocked on a few doors. I we either extremely lucky or had a great sense of historical direction as the very first doors I knocked on were all able to tell me intersting facts about Portgower -

It was build by Duke of Sutherland who at that time employed a French factor. Having apparently had only cursory instruction to build a village he modelled it on French lines rather than the traditional spread out crofting village.

To this day it has been a bone of contention as crofts at Portgower had houses in the village meaning that crofters all had variously long walks to look after sheep etc rather than just on the hill outside their respective homes.

One door I knoocked on invited me in to see a very detailed family history collection comprising many years of research photos and more.

I found the people I spoke to very welcoming and very knowlegable about the area. For example I was directed to the narrow split in the rocks at the botttom of the village that was once what passed for a harbour - a natural inlet easily missed nowadays.

So there you go take you head in your hands and take alook around perhaps the only French village in the north.

I dare you all.......

Bill

Phill
28-Oct-09, 15:07
I dare you all.......

It's a trap, here's your French Factor........ (this is gotta be true, it's from Wiki!)

"Saint-Germain is a vampire who was born approximately 3,500 years ago in the region that is now Transylvania. He was the son of his tribal leader (hence, a prince by blood). He spent much of his early existence in Egypt, initially as a temple slave, but eventually began travelling the world shortly before the start of the Christian Era. Saint-Germain has resided in the Roman Empire during reigns of Nero and Elagabalus, France during the reigns of Charlemagne and Louis XV before moving to Portgower."

OK I added the bit about moving to Portgower, but we all knew that anyway, right.

katarina
28-Oct-09, 15:26
For example I was directed to the narrow split in the rocks at the botttom of the village that was once what passed for a harbour - a natural inlet easily missed nowadays.

So there you go take you head in your hands and take alook around perhaps the only French village in the north.

I dare you all.......

Bill

Bill fernie went to portgower, but was it the same Bill Fernie who came back? Me thinks he is a doppleganger! Beware - he has his eyes on the orgers!

Shabbychic
28-Oct-09, 15:36
One door I knoocked on invited me in to see a very detailed family history collection.

Were ye no scared going down into the vaults with all they coffins??:eek:

Bill Fernie
28-Oct-09, 19:42
The area is certainly different from others and worth a pleasan stroll round.
There are an unusully large number of brambles growing and when I was there huge amounts of fruit.

Certainly fast growing and very healthy bushes. Are there vampire bramble bushes extending thorny tentacles as you walk....................................

northener
28-Oct-09, 20:42
There are an unusully large number of brambles growing and when I was there huge amounts of fruit.

Certainly fast growing and very healthy bushes....................................

Course they are....think of all the bodies that have been buried in the village......:eek:

ClachanHope
28-Oct-09, 20:45
http://steadyoffload.com:8080/T43C1WX2KF.aHR0cDovL3RoZXkubWlzbGVkLnVzL3dwL3dwLWN vbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDA3LzA4L2RlbGl2ZXJhbmNlLW1pZ 2h0eS1wdXJ0eS1tb3V0aC5qcGVn....

Ha ha ha that's the mannie from Portgower who cycles into Helmsdale every Wednesday for his shopping, or is he the grave digger, or is this Hamish:lol: lol

spaceddaisy
28-Oct-09, 20:56
I drove through there this morning and was shocked to see three whole people there. It was daylight and everything....

On my way back this evening they'd all gone back into hiding.

davie
28-Oct-09, 21:07
I drove through there this morning and was shocked to see three WHOLE people there. It was daylight and everything....

On my way back this evening they'd all gone back into hiding.

You mean there is parts of peeps sometimes ???.

Thats it, next time I go South its the Strath & then Glen Loth - I'm feart now to pass thru Pokeyrow

davie
28-Oct-09, 21:09
Ha ha ha that's the mannie from Portgower who cycles into Helmsdale every Wednesday for his shopping, or is he the grave digger, or is this Hamish:lol: lol

None of the above - he is the estate handyman/factor at Sandside,Reay. Or his twin brother.

elamanya
29-Oct-09, 09:22
My visit to take photos in 2003 was prompted by a question in this very forum. the odd question was "Why is Portgower?"

Well that did set me thinking and with my innate curiousity I determined that I would when next passing try to find out.

I simply headed into the village and knocked on a few doors. I we either extremely lucky or had a great sense of historical direction as the very first doors I knocked on were all able to tell me intersting facts about Portgower -

It was build by Duke of Sutherland who at that time employed a French factor. Having apparently had only cursory instruction to build a village he modelled it on French lines rather than the traditional spread out crofting village.

To this day it has been a bone of contention as crofts at Portgower had houses in the village meaning that crofters all had variously long walks to look after sheep etc rather than just on the hill outside their respective homes.

One door I knoocked on invited me in to see a very detailed family history collection comprising many years of research photos and more.

I found the people I spoke to very welcoming and very knowlegable about the area. For example I was directed to the narrow split in the rocks at the botttom of the village that was once what passed for a harbour - a natural inlet easily missed nowadays.

I dare you all.......

Bill
would the narrow inlet in the rocks which passed as a harbour be wide enough for a canoe !!!!!!

Turquoise
29-Oct-09, 10:18
The area is certainly different from others and worth a pleasan stroll round.

Certainly fast growing and very healthy bushes. Are there vampire bramble bushes extending thorny tentacles as you walk....................................

Well now funny you should mention that as Pauline from Jobseekers was always looking for bramble pickers...

northener
29-Oct-09, 11:03
Well now funny you should mention that as Pauline from Jobseekers was always looking for bramble pickers...

http://andytoots.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/pauline-job-club.jpg

She used to work in Wick Buroo, y'know.....

Phill
29-Oct-09, 11:25
would the narrow inlet in the rocks which passed as a harbour be wide enough for a canoe !!!!!!

Just wide enough for them to dispose of the cadavers, there's only so many bodies you can get under a bramble bush.

Not that I've tried BTW, it's an assumption, I wouldn't IMAGINE you could get many bodies under a bramble bush.........sheds are better, you can get a few under a shed......

riggerboy
29-Oct-09, 11:43
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/sutherland/photogallery/index.php?gallery=15&start=0

Bill Fernie is one of them or a conspirator.

32 photo's of Portgower and not a living person in any of them, how did he take them and get out alive??????

Not even any sheep or coo's!!!!!

Only in the last photo is there a dog, but is this a devil dog? Or was this the last moments of the poor wee doggy before he was taken?

picture nine there is some one teetin oot o the window

elamanya
29-Oct-09, 11:58
picture nine there is some one teetin oot o the window
it looks like mrs bates... normans mum

Turquoise
29-Oct-09, 12:06
I had a look at those lovely photos of that quaint little village on the seafront, pretty little houses with colourful little gardens and I'm thinking about taking a drive down for the weekend...

Oh my goodness, I've woken up!! Thank heavens I woke when I did or Kill Helmies...I mean Bill Fernie, might have lulled me into a deep hypnotic trance.

Imagine had I woken up in the middle of the Portgower...come to think of it I may not have woken up at all...

sids
29-Oct-09, 13:11

To this day it has been a bone of contention as crofts at Portgower had houses in the village meaning that crofters all had variously long walks to look after sheep etc rather than just on the hill outside their respective homes.l

So, Portgower is a folly of the parasitic gentry, who modestly named it after himself.

mrs_inkstack
29-Oct-09, 17:48
When i was at Uni and travelled up and down the road on the bus, I was woken up abrubtly one day when an old mannie got on in Port Gower. No one used to get on between Wick and Dornoch, used to pretty much sleep all the way. He was a crofter and was at the lambing, he took his oilskins off at the side of the road and hung them on a whin bush, got on the bus but not to say that he stunk ! I spewed in my trusty carrier bag all the way to Inverness. He was apparently visiting a relative in hospital.

So, the moral of that story is, do you really want to meet anyone from Port Gower as the likely hood is that they will smell very badly !! :roll:

I always did wonder if when he got off the bus on the way home, would his oilskins still be hanging there for him ? Mind you, who would want them going by the smell of him !! :(

sids
29-Oct-09, 19:05
not to say that he stunk ! :(

He couldn't help that. He'd been dead for 600 years.

Visiting relative my foot! He was going to rob the blood bank.

Dog-eared
29-Oct-09, 22:27
Guess which field the "remains " are buried in ?

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/42/91/1429108_5a8798af.jpg

Leanne
29-Oct-09, 22:31
Visiting relative my foot! He was going to rob the blood bank.

Where I last worked someone did try to rob the blood bank! He conned his way into the lab and tried to bite open one of the bags of blood :eek: It took 5 people to hold him down while the police arrived! He'd only been released that morning from the psych ward for thinking he was a vampire... This wasn't in Portgower though - there are other strange places in the country too ;)

dragonfly
29-Oct-09, 22:32
maybe the vampires in Portgower ought to model themselves on the ones being shown on the Channel 4 series True Blood, that might make it a bit more attractive to us mere mortals :Razz

Leanne
29-Oct-09, 22:33
maybe the vampires in Portgower ought to model themselves on the ones being shown on the Channel 4 series True Blood, that might make it a bit more attractive to us mere mortals :Razz

Mmm I'd like to bite the neck of one of them! ding dong!

sids
29-Oct-09, 22:51
Where I last worked someone did try to rob the blood bank! He conned his way into the lab and tried to bite open one of the bags of blood :eek: It took 5 people to hold him down while the police arrived! He'd only been released that morning from the psych ward for thinking he was a vampire... This wasn't in Portgower though - there are other strange places in the country too ;)

He was just getting tanked up before heading for Portgower.

Phill
29-Oct-09, 22:51
Guess which field the "remains " are buried in ?

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/1429108_5a8798af002.jpg

:roll:

Phill
29-Oct-09, 22:55
Mmm I'd like to bite the neck of one of them! ding dong!

Who's that then, Alan Carr or Leslie Phillips?

elamanya
30-Oct-09, 03:58
3 am canna sleep ... ive to go to snekkie this morning and have to pass thru you know where, are they watching, do they know us, oh my god ...what have i done ..:roll:

Aaldtimer
30-Oct-09, 04:33
3 am canna sleep ... ive to go to snekkie this morning and have to pass thru you know where, are they watching, do they know us, oh my god ...what have i done ..:roll:

Dinna worry aboot it...as long as it's daylight when you pass!:eek:

Rheghead
30-Oct-09, 11:16

You could try going down the Loth road to avoid Portgower but I've thought the same of Kinbrace, better the Devil you know perhaps.

Turquoise
30-Oct-09, 12:42
Nightspirit is looking for a bramble jam recipe - hope (s)he hasn't been picking them from the Other Side of the 'Dales????

ClachanHope
30-Oct-09, 16:07
You could try going down the Loth road to avoid Portgower but I've thought the same of Kinbrace, better the Devil you know perhaps.

Noting wrong with Kinbrace, at least you see people there and there's always a friendly welcome at Gordons Garage.

davie
30-Oct-09, 16:40
Noting wrong with Kinbrace, at least you see people there and there's always a friendly welcome at Gordons Garage.

Not such a friendly welcome if you are dressed up as a train - the same Gordon is liable to head-butt you !

elamanya
30-Oct-09, 20:46
made it thru portgower twice the day, it was kinda dark on the way down we were halway thru the village when what looked like a crofter/zombie/vampire, jumped on the bonnet of the car , so i said to the wife hurry hurry show him your cross so she banged her fists on the dash and screamed HEY YOU ****** DIRTY SMELLY ******* GET TO **** OF OUR CAR wow was she cross !!!!!!!!

dessie
31-Oct-09, 15:33
the village of the damned.he jokes..:lol:

Blarney
01-Nov-09, 23:14
C'mon Turquoise it's not just Portgower that has a dearth of daywalkers - it comes second only to Spittal as the creepiest place in the north. I mean who on earth would live in a godforsaken place like that?? No one is EVER seen there and it's worse since they put a speed limit on it a few years ago because you can't put the foot down and bomb through it with the hairs standing up on the back of your neck anymore. No doubt about it, it's zombieville.[evil]

Turquoise
02-Nov-09, 11:01
C'mon Turquoise it's not just Portgower that has a dearth of daywalkers - it comes second only to Spittal as the creepiest place in the north. I mean who on earth would live in a godforsaken place like that?? No one is EVER seen there and it's worse since they put a speed limit on it a few years ago because you can't put the foot down and bomb through it with the hairs standing up on the back of your neck anymore. No doubt about it, it's zombieville.[evil]

Well Blarney, I'm presuming you're in Caithness here - you are within the acceptable distance for them to come and getcha...

So beware, Portgower is at least far enough away that they would starve before they reached Caithness for your blood. [evil]

But you are so definitely correct, Spittal is a godforsaken place and I for one most certainly wouldn't like to live there. ;)

ClachanHope
02-Nov-09, 17:34
I think it's good that we're veering towards Spittal now, 'cos I heard through the grapevine that one Portgower resident, and I know he exists, cos I have seen him, isn't happy about this at all. He doesn't think it's funny.!!!!!
But I do....:lol:

sweetpea
02-Nov-09, 19:58
I think it's good that we're veering towards Spittal now, 'cos I heard through the grapevine that one Portgower resident, and I know he exists, cos I have seen him, isn't happy about this at all. He doesn't think it's funny.!!!!!

Does he spend the daytime in a box surrounded by his native Loth peat moss?

Phill
02-Nov-09, 21:00
He doesn't think it's funny.!!!!!

They do say the truth hurts!!

:cool:

Dog-eared
02-Nov-09, 23:51
I was at a car boot sale in Spittal recently and it was well attended in bright sunlight !!

Turquoise
03-Nov-09, 13:36

:roll:

Oh well at least you and the overwhelming majority find it amusing ClachanHope! There's always someone who has to take a cream puff! You can never keep everyone happy...

Turquoise
03-Nov-09, 13:38
I was at a car boot sale in Spittal recently and it was well attended in bright sunlight !!

Aah yes, so from this evidence we can conclude that they are in fact daywalkers. Excellent detective work Dog-eared, am very glad you didn't get chucked in a car boot by the Locals!! :eek:

Saveman
03-Nov-09, 13:50
I wonder if this thread was about Bradford would it be tolerated!!??

Highlight area below

Orgers are sooooo easy to wind up!

Rheghead
03-Nov-09, 17:41
I see that the Earl of Caithness is a trustee of a charity which is aimed at preserving the ancient way of life for the countryside and farmers in the South East of Transylvania. I wonder why?[para]

northener
03-Nov-09, 18:35
I see that the Earl of Caithness is a trustee of a charity which is aimed at preserving the ancient way of life for the countryside and farmers of an area in the South East of Transylvania. I wonder why?[para]

Ahaahh...I feel we may be getting closer to the 'truth' now.....

elamanya
03-Nov-09, 20:25
hey guess what, when we passed thru last friday...... twice.... yup you guessed never seen a soul, but wait for it the garage doors were open......
are there vampires in Bradford as well then ?????

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Nov-09, 20:42
If I was in Portgower,I'd get the local community doo thingymibob,to put funds into playing constant rave music,with manequins waving glow sticks about.Wid get rid of the vampire myth all together.I havnae seen anybody in portgower,just the sign that says"Don't blink!!!"Hear the locals dae a great stake and onions though.:lol::lol:

Phill
04-Nov-09, 00:42
Did any of you not see the papers on Sunday......

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/sundaysportforweal.jpg

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Nov-09, 00:53

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/itsalljustrandom/sundaysportforweal.jpg

Brilliant[lol][lol]

katarina
04-Nov-09, 14:22
sounds like a good title for a book - 'Vampires of Portgower' could i be taken for slander?

northener
04-Nov-09, 20:47
Phill....

I salute you, Sir.

Phill
04-Nov-09, 23:38
Phill....

I salute you, Sir.

Wasnae me, it's in Sunday Sport, gotta be gospel!
;)

However I think this may not reach those who enjoyed the more informative years of the Sunday Sport's investigative and factual journalism.

mrs_inkstack
05-Nov-09, 18:09
I know someone who originates from Port Gower, Ada, he lives in Dunnet now. You often see him standing on his back door step on a friday night in his boxers, he smells off fish and Eileen won't let him over the doorstep till he strips :lol: Always thought there was something strange about him, he sleeps all day - she always says it's because he's just back from driving his big lorry ???????? She's going to kill me ! :roll: But mind you there are a lot of vampires in Dunnet, you often see them holding up the bar in the Northern Sands at the weekend :D

teddybear1873
05-Nov-09, 18:41

That looks like Donald Mackay the Thurso Councilor. Is he from Portgower by any chance lol?

cherokee
05-Nov-09, 18:57
Passed thru Portgower this morning and saw a single crow perched on a fence post......drove back through same village, early evening, just as it was getting dusk, and saw three (yep, three!!! :eek:) mannies at the side of the road - standing beside the same fence post as the crow was on earlier - and even more spookily, they were right outside the last house on the left .............:eek::eek:

Phill
05-Nov-09, 19:27
Passed thru Portgower this morning and saw a single crow perched on a fence post......drove back through same village, early evening, just as it was getting dusk, and saw three (yep, three!!! :eek:) mannies at the side of the road - standing beside the same fence post as the crow was on earlier - and even more spookily, they were right outside the last house on the left .............:eek::eek:

Are you suggesting.......VAMPIRE CROWS!!!!!!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH..................

cherokee
05-Nov-09, 19:38
Never thought o' that Phill !!!!!!..............

Aren't crows (supposedly) the epitome of the "Bad Side" ?????

Nothing against crows though, its just their long beaks, black cloak of feathers and "cackling laughter" .........:eek::eek::eek:

madmissus
05-Nov-09, 23:36
Well, I came thru portgower last night after midnight and tho it was a bit eerie when one of the street lights was flashin a bit, never saw a vampire (but not sure wot i would have done as my phone bleeped, battery done just before brora), that freaked me out more than anything specially as I had to get home to thirsa!!

Angel
06-Nov-09, 00:04
Moldy and Scully went to investigate the 'phantom village' some years back... and being a fan I went in search of them... I walked past every household door and eventually plucked up the courage to knock on one...

The door creaked open, I nearly died of fright, as there was no-one standing there!
I decided that this place was to weird for me so beat a hasty retreat when a voice called out "can I help you". The voice had a south London twang I was thinking as I ask the stupid question "do you live here". "On holiday dearie" it replied... "No worries" I responded backing away towards my car... "no worries"...

Angel

girnigoe
02-Dec-09, 22:13
Oooooo Oooooo *waves hand in air madly*. I saw someone in Portgower the other morning and it was daylight!! It was a teenager with a hat on!! :eek:

Or was it an illusion? ;)

Turquoise
02-Dec-09, 22:17
I saw them the other week in daylight too. Were they in the field,wearing bright orange jackets and waving their arms about??

Yep, that'll be the 'scarecrows' that the Residents have put in the fields around Portgower to make us actually believe that there are mortals there.

They're panicking we're onto them, I tell you!!!

girnigoe
02-Dec-09, 22:22
:lol: No "he" was actually walking normally like you or I would do along the path......... spoooooooookyyy!!!

Turquoise
02-Dec-09, 22:23
You've got me there then...unless it was a projected 3D hologram on a loop or a complex series of mirrors in place from Helmsdale???

girnigoe
02-Dec-09, 22:27
Think youve hit the nail on the head there Turquoise!!! Brilliant.... Bet they thought you wouldnt figure that one out :p

Angel
02-Dec-09, 23:27
I have been reliably informed from Mouldy (or was that Skully) that they are radio controlled inflatables and if this diversion is discovered the military are obliged to inform the public that they are weather experimental instruments being tracked using GPS to determine why umbrella sales are zero in Portgower...

Angel...

Bazeye
03-Dec-09, 03:43
Was Paranormal Activity filmed there? Anyone seen it yet, Im sending a copy to my sister in law in Reiss. I havent seen it but my wife and daughter were well spooked at the end of it.

Vistravi
03-Jan-10, 15:01
Was driving through portgower on xmas day night and we saw five people! We didn't dare stop :eek:

ShelleyCowie
03-Jan-10, 15:42
Was driving through portgower on xmas day night and we saw five people! We didn't dare stop :eek:

OMG 5 people! :eek: You were wise not to stop though. Shame you couldnt get a picture on the passing... [lol]

crayola
03-Jan-10, 16:30
OMG 5 people! :eek: You were wise not to stop though. Shame you couldnt get a picture on the passing... [lol]
I've tried to get a picture but they don't show up in photos. :eek:

Vistravi
03-Jan-10, 16:30

Aye we were quite shocked. Och i know, another time my own phone would've been handy. The sooner i can hand in the curteosy phone the better.

Turquoise
18-Mar-10, 23:58
beware of the wee fellow with the network rail jacket,thats the ring leader he is on the go through the night in april during the lambing,with the biggest bloody torch you ever did see,many"s a boat has run aground with the damn thing.

That's not a torch Mac...it's a mirror to HELL!

Dog-eared
19-Mar-10, 20:22
The last time I drove through, I slowed down as it was Ok for traffic, and had a good look. Not a soul about.:eek:
Funny how you lose the signal from Radio Scotland down that way too !

mac 1
20-Mar-10, 01:13
did you know they recorded a cd in 1999

1 bat out of hell
2 boogie nights
3 wind beneath my wings
4 dancing in the moon light
5 radar love
6 hold back the night
7 mirror mirror
8 the old rugged cross
9 midnight flyer
10 the night has a thousand eyes [lol]

donnick
20-Mar-10, 11:15
you know this has to be one of the funnies post that has not been hijacket ,slagging off other and bulling ..it has made me laugh out loud and entertain me for a good hr so can i say THANK YOU to all who contributed :lol::lol::lol:

ducati
20-Mar-10, 11:15
This is a true story and I'm glad I hadn't seen this thread prior to it happening

Settle down because it will take a while to tell

The weekend the boss and I moved to Caithness from Lanarkshire we drove in a 4x4 and a large hired van with all our worldly possessions and animals. We arrived in the dark on the Friday night and I had arranged to return the Van to Blackburn before 11.00am on Sunday. (where I had left my car).

Needless to say we had a very busy Saturday getting the house warmed up (it had been empty for a while and it was in February. Brrr). and getting all the furniture where we wanted it.
Having emptied the van of Furniture' nicknacks and two 1000cc motorbikes (getting the size of the van?) I prepared to leave for Blackburn (about a 6 hour drive in the dark). We had noticed as we passed Tesco on the Friday that the petrol station was 24 hour so I hadn't bothered filling the Van before I left.

So I set off Sunday Morning about 4.00am and headed to Tesco. And arrived to find it wasn't manned. :confused It only took Credit cards and I only had cash Doh!!.

Anyway consulted Satnav as to nearest petrol on the way down and it said Helmsedale (about 35 miles so looked at guage and thought I'd make it and just wait till it opened in the morning and would still have time to make my 11.00am deadline. Headed off. To my dismay the last dregges in the tank were disappearing at an alarming rate. Imagine my relief when I finally drove into Helmesdale...to find the petrol station had obviously been permanently closed for quite some time. (Sat Nav!!)

So next fuel Brora. Would I make it? No way. Just had to set off. As soon as I started climbing out of Helmesdale the van started that regular misfiring that tells you are about to run out of Diesel. Heart in mouth I grimly kept plodding on until finally half way up a hill it conked out (just managed to run it up the curb and off the road.

So, about 5.30 on a February morning I'm marooned. What do I have? Well a mobile phone :cool:. Can't phone the wife at home no phone line. We had noticed that our mobiles didn't work in the house so..

I looked through the glove box (By the light of my mobile phone) and found an emergency number and phoned for assistance. "Where are you sir?" "Hang on a minute, there’s a town sign down the road but I can't read it from here it is too dark". Walks down road to sign "Portgower, I'm at Portgower" Phone goes dead.

So I try to call back, guess what no signal. All I could do was stay in the van until it gets light and than try and find help. After an hour sitting in the by now freezing van I got out for a smoke and sight of sights a tow truck lights ablaze arrives from Brora. The operator had got my location before the phone went dead and dispatched my saviour. Hurray!

And that’s how I nearly had to spend the night in Portgower

So thinking back, the van stopped, the mobile signal died and when I came back through PG on the way back (as I passed that very sign) my car started misfiring and did it all the way home (Jag S Type). I plugged in an analyser as soon as I got home and it was running fine and not showing any fault codes.

And as a final twist, when I tried to submit this the first time I lost my internet connection!

Strange doings :eek:

elamanya
20-Mar-10, 13:20
I have heard that Davina Mcall, and co on the sponsered bike ride , refused point blank to cycle thru it, thats why the went the long way round !!!!!!!

Dog-eared
20-Mar-10, 14:36
:lol::lol:

mac 1
20-Mar-10, 15:28
during the war the home guard were trained at portgower,nobody could find them,because of this the war office named them the l.d.v

look,duck,and vanish[lol]:lol:

elamanya
20-Mar-10, 16:49
Lost Dodging Vampires ........................

Gleber2
20-Mar-10, 21:56
It may be significant but Port Gower was famous years ago for having the most expensive street lighthing system per capita in Scotland!!!!!!!???:~(

ducati
20-Mar-10, 22:31
It may be significant but Port Gower was famous years ago for having the most expensive street lighthing system per capita in Scotland!!!!!!!???:~(

Could that be because there are only four people and nine streetlamps? :lol:

Invisible
20-Mar-10, 22:46
I think more people talk about Portgower than people in Portgower talk

mac 1
20-Mar-10, 23:13
if you apply for a house in portgower,a form has to completed it askes three questions

1 your name
2 your age
3 your blood group

John Little
21-Mar-10, 00:13
Does a Mr Sawney Bean live in Portgower?

northener
21-Mar-10, 00:47
Does a Mr Sawney Bean live in Portgower?

Mrs Northener always gets him confused wth Sean Bean......

Phill
21-Mar-10, 01:11
if you apply for a house in portgower,a form has to completed it askes three questions

1 your name
2 your age
3 your blood group

And the first three questions are irrelevant.

sids
21-Mar-10, 09:45

Money well spent.

Just try switching them off on a dark night and see what happens. Well you might not see it very well in the dark but stuff would happen, mark my words.

John Little
21-Mar-10, 12:10
"Mrs Northener always gets him confused wth Sean Bean....."

Now that could be a terrible mistake to make. Tell her to watch oot for the guys with the pointy teeth. Sean Bean may be just a bit long in the tooth, but Sawney's definitely have a sharp look to them...

Thumper
21-Mar-10, 12:13
You know years ago I ended up at a party in PG :eek: knowing what I know now I dont think I would have accepted the invitation if I got it now :eek: x

veekay
21-Mar-10, 13:43
I drove through the village yesterday at four-ish, not a soul. There was a rotovator in a field - a new one mind - but no-one around. Weird place that

John Little
21-Mar-10, 14:04
Can you buy garlic in the village that must not be named?

crayola
21-Mar-10, 14:18
Can you buy garlic in the village that must not be named?
No they won't allow it now but things may change when 'They' erect garlic signposts bearing the image of a strange man in a kilt screaming Inbhir Ùige at a billion decibels.

Scary times await us. Escape while you still can. :eek:

John Little
21-Mar-10, 14:24
Inbhir Ùige! Don't these vampires just get on your Wick!
Don't they realise what's at stake?

crayola
21-Mar-10, 14:45
I asked if they knew what was at stake but all I got in reply was......

Seo ur cothrom fios a chuir thugainn.

I think we're safe now.

veekay
21-Mar-10, 16:05
Another little thought popped into my head ( it has to be a little thought I don't have the capacity for more). Has anyone ever seen dogs, cats, birds or anything else living in the village?

mac 1
21-Mar-10, 20:02
talking about human stupidity,im told the cats,dogs,and birds escaped a few years ago,and are now working as highland councillors in various areas.you might have heard of the team leader,he has a degree his name is dr dolittle.

John Little
21-Mar-10, 20:23
So he might be related to me! I hear the local GP is Dr A. Cula- but I don't know where he qualified - I think he's Rumanian...

mac 1
21-Mar-10, 20:43
me thinks you have something to do with ROBIN HOOD

John Little
21-Mar-10, 20:46
It's a myth - remember that fight on the bridge? I beat the crap out of him - I'm 6.4" for gawds sake - he's all spin and self-promotion. Just because he's got money and I have'nt.... he hired Max Clifford...

mac 1
21-Mar-10, 20:59
6.4 your a big fellow eh,as big as a tree,where in kent do you stay.

sevenoaks?

John Little
21-Mar-10, 22:02
Near ASHford.

Anyhow Mac - this is thread drift- I'm worried by a nest of people just south of Helmsdale who rumour says have sharp teeth...

mac 1
21-Mar-10, 22:26
sorry,yes portgower well its like the bermuda triangel,you go into it and you dont come out.still looking for the rent man,the milk man,the window cleaner,and the guy who delivers the blood to the hospital.

John Little
21-Mar-10, 22:29
Aye - it always has been a strange place. I mean when I was a kid I was driving through Portgower with my dad in his old car and we had a blowout in a front tyre at 60mph as we approached from Helmsdale. No visible cause - it just blew.

I've never seen another in my life - a malign influence at work?....

bekisman
22-Mar-10, 23:18
Thought this tread was a bit strange, BUT a few days ago I drove down to Golspie, and out of interest kept an eye open for people as I drove through Portgower - not a human being to be seen.. a few hours later return trip; still no one.
And Today, drove though about 9am, no-one and this evening at about 8pm still no-one. Now surely that is wierd - someobody must live there?

Anyway knackered; I'm off to bed

rhoda
28-Mar-10, 17:55
Don't want to worry anyone but came through Portgower around 4pm today and there was a tourist bus in the laybye. No driver, no passengers!!!!!

fender
28-Mar-10, 18:16
How did you know it was a tourist bus if it was empty?

highlander
28-Mar-10, 19:43
How did you know it was a tourist bus if it was empty?

LOL i just love this thread

elamanya
28-Mar-10, 19:48
Because any one who was not a tourist would not dare get of the bus there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Little
28-Mar-10, 20:05
Jessica Gower; Australian actress. Her most recent project was the role of Chase, a villainous vampire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire) on Blade: The Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade:_The_Series),

Gower.
Vampire.
This is too much of a coincidence....

Yoda the flump
28-Mar-10, 20:28
Passed through there are about 7am the other day and saw TWO people!!!!!!:)

Blarney
28-Mar-10, 22:24
Those two people were most likely disposing of the tourist bus before it started attracting more attention and people began asking questions.............................:eek:

Dog-eared
28-Mar-10, 23:02
Passing through I saw some kitchen lights on. They must've been cooking something......

rhoda
28-Mar-10, 23:56
The said bus passed through Brora around six o'clock and had only the driver on board.!!!!

ducati
29-Mar-10, 08:39
What I find too wierd is that no one from Portgower has posted to tell us all we are all imagining things :eek:

Is this the thread that uses this smilie :eek: the most? :eek:

northener
29-Mar-10, 09:56

Been away over the weekend. went doon Sooth on Saturday - not a soul out in The Place That Dare Not Be Mentioned By Name.

Came back on Sunday in horrible weather to see a lone hooded figure lurching up the hill amongst the swirling rain and mist.

Drop down two gears, redline the bike and leg it.:eek:

Phill
29-Mar-10, 10:10
What I find too wierd is that no one from Portgower has posted to tell us all we are all imagining things

They can't!
It's due to the communications blackout enforced by the secret underground UFO base there. All lines are secured and monitored, only POTUS can get a direct line into there.

tsk I thought everyone knew that :eek::eek::eek:

ducati
29-Mar-10, 10:14
They can't!
It's due to the communications blackout enforced by the secret underground UFO base there. All lines are secured and monitored, only POTUS can get a direct line into there.

tsk I thought everyone knew that :eek::eek:

Do you know, since you joined the Masons you have taken on a most superior attitude :mad:

Phill
29-Mar-10, 11:22
Do you know, since you joined the Masons you have taken on a most superior attitude :mad:

JOINED THE MASONS!! They slung me out years ago, but I still now their magic willy shake and the fancy dancing they do :cool:

Blarney
29-Mar-10, 23:16
While we're on the subject, I wonder if there are any goats in the P*rtg*wer vicinity??

Phill
29-Mar-10, 23:50
What is it with goats all of a sudden?

It's not as if they....well....now I think about it......

Hoida
30-Mar-10, 13:46
Came through Portgower on the bus on Sunday night and someone actually got off the bus and he looked quite normal! Whats more there was a mini bus parked at the side of the road with several young adults milling around. Didn't have my camera with me so I could share the experience with you all.Sorry

northener
30-Mar-10, 13:54
Came through Portgower on the bus on Sunday night and someone actually got off the bus and he looked quite normal! Whats more there was a mini bus parked at the side of the road with several young adults milling around. Didn't have my camera with me so I could share the experience with you all.Sorry

Note got off the bus - not on. You'll never see him again.

Milling around? More likely they were shrieking in blind terror whilst trying to get back in the minibus. Could you hear a chainsaw, perchance?

veekay
31-Mar-10, 11:36
1038hrs going through ' the place' and there was a male person at the bus stop. This was witnessed by others so I know I didn't imagine it. He seemed real enough - he had on a dodgy looking bright purple waterproof though. Then at
1645hrs going back through ' the place' there was a tractor being driven across a field. Now I think there was someone in it but could only just make out a shape - I don't think it was a goat though.

John Little
31-Mar-10, 20:22
They have no reflection remember - could you see him in the mirror looking bacK?

Tubthumper
31-Mar-10, 20:29
I was on the bus South at the weekend, a bloke with a lurcher got off at Portgower. Had a beard, and a guitar. Looked a bit depressed.

It's been fun on the org this week, hasn't it?

Bazeye
31-Mar-10, 20:37
I was on the bus South at the weekend, a bloke with a lurcher got off at Portgower. Had a beard, and a guitar. Looked a bit depressed.

It's been fun on the org this week, hasn't it?

Which one had the beard? Which one had the guitar? Which one looked a bit depressed? We need to know.

Blarney
31-Mar-10, 20:39
Aye you would be depressed if you had to get off there......wonder why no-one ever seems to have rellies who live there???

veekay
31-Mar-10, 20:40
Gosh John Little I didn't think to look in the mirror, I wasn't driving at the time though.

Tubthumper
31-Mar-10, 20:43
Which one had the beard? Which one had the guitar? Which one looked a bit depressed? We need to know.
The lurcher had the guitar and looked depressed. Possibly because his claws were too long for the fretboard.
I couldn't tell how the guy with the beard looked because he had this beard. But he was suspicious. There's a certain aroma.

John Little
31-Mar-10, 21:15
"Gosh John Little I didn't think to look in the mirror, I wasn't driving at the time though."

Were you walking? :eek:
Cycling :eek::eek:

You are very brave.

Dog-eared
31-Mar-10, 21:56
Came through "The place " in bad weather this evening and now can't remember that stretch of road.:eek:

Phill
31-Mar-10, 22:19
.......and now can't remember that stretch of road.:eek:

They've got to you!!!:eek::eek:

veekay
01-Apr-10, 18:22
John Little you are such a tease! The chauffeur was driving me silly

veekay
01-Apr-10, 18:24
I know that you |John Little make comment so no the chauffeur wasn't driving me silly
the chauffeur was driving me, silly

:lol:

ducati
01-Apr-10, 18:39
I know that you |John Little make comment so no the chauffeur wasn't driving me silly
the chauffeur was driving me, silly

:lol:

Are you sure he wasn't driving you batty :eek:

John Little
01-Apr-10, 20:10
Was the Chauffeur driving you in a big bus thing? And did he try to bite you at any point whilst drooling 'I vant to trink your bloooood...'

Blarney
04-Apr-10, 01:46
Now THAT is really scary! :eek: BTW, why haven't we had any P*rtg*wer residents(if there are any left!??) on here to defend the reputation of the place if there is nothing untoward happening there.:confused

John Little
04-Apr-10, 10:47
"BTW, why haven't we had any P*rtg*wer residents(if there are any left!??"

That is exactly the point.
Do we really believe that there are no Orgers at all in the place that must not be named?

Or is it that it is totally populated by vampires and the undead - who have no use for computers but just want to eat your brains....

We must reach our own conclusions....

mac 1
05-Apr-10, 20:32
i wonder if they were out rolling their eggs this weekend,would be funny to see a bat rolling an egg.

northener
05-Apr-10, 21:07
.......but just want to eat your brains....

We must reach our own conclusions....

My conclusion is that they've already spent a lot of time dining out in Wick..........;)

Dog-eared
05-Apr-10, 21:21
The dark nights are gone, its hibernation time.
And there's no internet there..................radio cuts out about there too.........

Phill
05-Apr-10, 22:22
Came back through Portgower this evening around dusk (at speed I may add) and.....................nothing, not a soul to be seen.

BUT, there was smoke coming from one house, burning the evidence? Electing a new underworld pope?

I wasn't hanging around to find out:eek:

annemarie482
05-Apr-10, 22:24
i googled portgower..........and all i found was that you can find fossils on the shore as its exposed prehistoric rock................

brandy
05-Apr-10, 23:56
fossils of who though? even my 7 year old and 5 year old play the portgower game..until very recently my 5 year old would be sick every single time as we entered portgower on the wasy down. we would alwys stop across from the bus stop to clean him up.. never ever seen anyone.
no wait thats a lie.. omg i cant belive ive forgotten this.. it was like my memory was fogged! but one time a few years ago.. it was about 9 am.. or just before.. i met a woman in portgower.. ben had just been sick.. and was trying to calm him down and clean him.. and she was walking down to the bus stop.. we said hello and chatted for a few min.
this was before i knew of anything about the place... had never really thought about it.. was like it was something that once it had happend it was put from your mind. i can not remember what we talked about ... i cant remember what she looked like.. she was dark haired but that is it..
is it just my memory going.. or something more sinister...

Tubthumper
06-Apr-10, 00:12
What were her teeth like Brandy, can you remember??

Sounds like you were lucky to get away with it; apparently they're out to 'eat your bairns' (or was it 'eat your brains'??)

Tubthumper
06-Apr-10, 00:23
My God, I've just had a revelation. Looking through a box of junk from my youth (teddy bears, early love letters, souvenirs of pubs I was sick in at 16 etc) I found a notebook containing my diary of a trip from Edinburgh to Thurso when I was 9 years old. And I had no memory of it at all! Until this very day!!
Get this... Every station the train passed through was listed.... INCLUDING PORTGOWER!!!! :eek:
When did the trains stop stopping there, and why? What started the stopping?? Why has no-one noticed???
Or does the ghost train halt there at midnight, its eerie whistle echoing over the lonely bogs and moors, tendrils of steam drift from its pistons, the driver leans out of his cab.... a maggot crawls from his empty eye socket,makes its way onto the leather topped cap.
He throws his skull-like head back and gives a screech of triumph, pulls hard on the whistle cord, opens the throttle and the ghastly engine 'Duke of Sutherland' wheelspins, grips, then hurtles off into oblivion in a haze of hellish smoke and steam, her carriages packed with the damned clawing at the windows and doors.... but to no avail......

John Little
06-Apr-10, 08:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y