PDA

View Full Version : attn feeders of frozen mice ....

Tugmistress
22-Oct-09, 20:18
As far as i am aware there is no supplier of frozen mice of any size up here ( or fresh come to that) to feed to snakes etc and i am thinking of setting up to fill the gap in the market with frozen mice.

If you had the chance to buy locally would you?
what size of frozen mouse is your preffered choice?

just trying to find out if it would be worth doing. at the moment i am paying £18 delivery for up to 20kg packed in dry ice, i just think if at least half a dozen other people would buy locally it would be worth me doing.

let me know.

porshiepoo
22-Oct-09, 21:13
Depending on cost, my hubby may well be interested in buying mice for our Birds of Prey, especially the Barn Owl.
At the moment we have to have DOC and Quail delivered up from down south. They also get Rabbit but mice would add to their menu.

Tugmistress
22-Oct-09, 21:26
Thanks Porshie, cost would be same per mouse as i pay now, but obviously there would be no postage charge on top as any sold could be picked up in person :)
i am looking at doing the full range of sizes, from pinkies to large adults.

i used to breed mice for my owls down south, but with having 2 european, 2 bengal, 2 african short eared and 3 barns i found it was hard going to get all the mice to adults size, whereas doing this is a little more of an easy time frame to work with :)

erli
22-Oct-09, 21:34
Definately!
I buy online and more than once my mice have thawed by the time they arrive. I pay extra for next day delivery and even buy a few chicks to help keep the mice frozen for longer but sometimes it doesn't help. I would LOVE to be able to but locally.
I'm using hoppers just now (one size up from fluffs) I don't mind what you'd charge as I know I would still make a saving, I pay about £20 on postage.

dancingtaz13
22-Oct-09, 22:02
Count me in too.... i buy from livefoods by post and i only paid a tenner for next day delivery but mice were defrosted by time they got here next day.

Im quite happy to pay for what suppliers elsewhere charge as we wont have the postage cost and itll help pay for feed etc for mice.

This is a great idea :lol:

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 08:10
Thanks for the replies and PM's folks, it's looking like i will go ahead with this idea, now i just need to locate some live mice to start with lol.
if it takes off and there is a demand, i might venture in to a small number of rats too, but that's a thought for the future.

thebigman
23-Oct-09, 09:42
Got the wee devils back in my loft Paula so send the snake down!

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 09:49
Got the wee devils back in my loft Paula so send the snake down!

haha i've heard one or two in mine too, wish i could catch the little so and so's ;)

Mik.M.
23-Oct-09, 10:06
haha i've heard one or two in mine too, wish i could catch the little so and so's ;)
That`s Neep in the loft not mice!:lol: (only joking Kazz XXX)

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 10:16
haha nice one mik, trouble is if it were neep up there the noise would be more like an elephant :p

(sorry neep!)

closest place so far i've found for live mice is Grantown on Spey!

emszxr
23-Oct-09, 11:31
i think you be having a job finding mice close by. you be easier finding rats. i started breeding rats for mine and did probably get 3 or 4 litters out me females each but they have totally stopped bredding now. the last lot i got were off a guy on ebay. he killed them on day of posting them so they came cold and i put them straight in freezer.

good luck. i would be interested in taking some off you when you get up and running. i would be looking at medium to large mice for my king, corn and royal

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 12:18
Well i think i have sourced some mice - not exactly local but can be picked up for me next week and brought up same day :) not exactly cheap either, but i can pick more up when i go on one of my mad day trips down to englandshire and back lol

update
this goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, i can get male only from grantown on spey and i can get females only from aberdeen!

if any one is any good with google searches help me out!

ShelleyCowie
23-Oct-09, 12:20
i would be interested if my OH would let me get a snake, im working on it! ;)

Leanne
23-Oct-09, 14:05
Well i think i have sourced some mice - not exactly local but can be picked up for me next week and brought up same day :)

Don't they have mice in pets at home?

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 17:18
Don't they have mice in pets at home?

no, that was one of the first places i rang - neither do the inverness branch according to the lassie i spoke to in wick :(

thebigman
23-Oct-09, 20:56
this goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, i can get male only from grantown on spey and i can get females only from aberdeen!

Can see an opening here for mouse-match.com :-)

unicorn
23-Oct-09, 21:06
Good luck in your quest I couldn't even get any as far afield as Edinburgh

Bruce
23-Oct-09, 21:57
have you tried bernies in elgin?he is quite good

Tugmistress
23-Oct-09, 22:04
have you tried bernies in elgin?he is quite good

i tried elgin, nairn, forres, fort william, fochabers and aberdeen! out of all of them one place in aberdeen had some live females only!

fudge100
24-Oct-09, 01:25
I too would be interested if the price was right.

buzzard
24-Oct-09, 12:54
I'd be interested as well

Tugmistress
24-Oct-09, 13:35
hoping to get a phone call today about getting some mice shortly, also i *may* be able to get a couple of multi's in a few months (sort of a cross between a mouse and rat from what i can gather so slightly larger).
I will definately be setting this up, as to how long it takes with the mice being like rocking horse poo to get hold of i am not sure ... will keep you all updated :)

the poacher
24-Oct-09, 18:07
will be very interested in buying small mice for my snake ! also interested to know if you know where i could get reptile sawdust as i cant get any from nowhere up here.

Phoenix200416
24-Oct-09, 18:40
I would also be interested! :D

I would need fluffies for my garter snake, and I am hoping to go down to aberdeen & pick up my hatchling corn next week sometime so I will be needing pinkies for him going up in size as he grows of course. Being able to source more locally would be a lot better!

Tugmistress
26-Oct-09, 08:03
Thank you folks - things are starting to come together now - the mice are taking a bit longer but i should have some multi's arriving tonight so hopefully in a few weeks they will be old enough to start breeding.
will keep you updated :)
Poacher, if you are desperate for some i have some spare i can let you have, just let me know.

porshiepoo
26-Oct-09, 09:12
Hubby actually started breeding them at one point but me and the kids saw them and named them lol. They were so darned cute we wouldn't let him kill them for the birds.
Turned out though that our GSD got in and killed them all anyway. Eek! That was a short lived project.

Tugmistress
26-Oct-09, 10:27
lol porshie, i just see them as 'food chain' yes they're cute but i don't get attached thankfully! should have 4 breeding asets of 1:4 arriving tonight :D (if all goes to plan!).

Tugmistress
02-Nov-09, 21:04
update -
4 breeding sets of multi's arrived last monday evening, this evening one very fat female in one of the sets so pinkies soon :)

ShelleyCowie
02-Nov-09, 21:59
update -
4 breeding sets of multi's arrived last monday evening, this evening one very fat female in one of the sets so pinkies soon :)

Glad its all going to plan! Still trying to get my OH to let me get a snake! still a no! :~(

young_fishin_neep
02-Nov-09, 22:23
Glad its all going to plan! Still trying to get my OH to let me get a snake! still a no! :~(

lol shelly, they arent to everybodies taste, just tell him you will get a young one so that you can handle it alot so it becomes harmless :D

x

Serenity
02-Nov-09, 22:30
update -

Good news. I've still got about 40 fluffs for Buffy so wont need any for a while but she does prefer "fresher" food (I know a couple of people in the area who breed for their own snakes - 1 does rats and 1 mice - and when Buffy gets one of those she strikes straight away where as she can take some tempting with mail order ones). So keep the updates as will be interested when you have enough stock to sell :D

Tugmistress
02-Nov-09, 22:45
well i have 15 females in total so if they get their act together hopefully that wont be long :)

Phoenix200416
02-Nov-09, 23:55
well i have 15 females in total so if they get their act together hopefully that wont be long :)
That's great news! Nice to have a more local source! Have PM'd you

Kevin Milkins
03-Nov-09, 00:22
Judging by the mice trap thread (mouse traps (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=89988)) you could pop around to Bill Fernie for a good supply of fresh mice.:lol:

Tom Cornwall
03-Nov-09, 13:41
this is a very morbid type of thread..I do hope all you mice-killers out there are doing it humanely and causing no suffering to the poor mice, or you'll probably have the society for the prevention of cruelty to mice people after you...:)

Tugmistress
03-Nov-09, 15:06
haha yes being done humanely :D

Tugmistress
06-Nov-09, 23:15
first five born today - will be taken from mum tomorrow - anyone requiring pinkies let me know.

Tugmistress
19-Nov-09, 16:13
update -
3 more females defo preggie, so will see what we get as to if i go pinkies or fuzzies this time - should all be due within the next week to 10 days.