PDA

View Full Version : Debt cancellation!

Gleber2
22-Oct-09, 18:42
I am getting a lot of computerised calls telling me that it is possible to have credit card and loan debts cancelled. I am told to press various keys if I want to know more.
Has anyone followed one of these calls through?

stiggy
22-Oct-09, 18:47
Hi Gleber2 don't follow these calls they will take a fee from your card automatically which you cannot cancel. If you do feel that you have something to claim back you can do this yourself via claims letters on the internet which will cost you nothing. These calls are a con.

Stack Rock
22-Oct-09, 19:08
Morally - if any-one genuinely incurs debt of any kind why should it be cancelled. Those who settle their debts faithfully ultimately have to pick up the bill of those who don't.
Recent adverts state that it's possible to get out of credit agreements due to a technicality.
In my opinion the agreement was entered into in good faith.

Kodiak
22-Oct-09, 19:12
I have my Phone Number set so that if anyone tries to phone me with a withheld number they can not get through. Since these types of calls are usually from a withheld number I never receive these calls. I suggest that you add this service to your phone but I must add it does cost.

dx100uk
22-Oct-09, 19:51
Yep its a con, as are all the 'adverts' that point to such issues.

even if your Consumer Credit Agreement does prove to be unenforcable, it DOES NOT write the debt off, it is no magic bullet.

dx

ShelleyCowie
22-Oct-09, 20:19
I have my Phone Number set so that if anyone tries to phone me with a withheld number they can not get through. Since these types of calls are usually from a withheld number I never receive these calls. I suggest that you add this service to your phone but I must add it does cost.

I have the same service on my house phone. The money is worth it though. We were getting dozens of calls a day.

Truewoman
22-Oct-09, 20:28
I would love to have this service but does it prevent calls from Doctor & Hospital etc from getting through as they also withhold their number.

Stargazer
22-Oct-09, 20:28

Where do you get this service? The calls always say to 'press 9 to remove your number from our database'. But i assume there is some hidden penalty as why not remove it automatically?

Kodiak
22-Oct-09, 20:42
I am with BT and all I did was to phone Customer Services and asked them to Block all Calls that phone me with an withheld number.

They had it set up within 24 hours.

If you have a friend or a member of family that has their phone number withheld they will not be able to phone you unless they put 1470 in front of your phone number when they dial. This then takes off their witheld Number and if you have Caller ID on your Phone you will see the number that is phoning you.

Fran
22-Oct-09, 22:19

Only problem is, hospitals and gp's numbers always show up as " witheld".

Alice in Blunderland
22-Oct-09, 22:30
Hospitals can redial using 1470 and then get through. :)

BINBOB
22-Oct-09, 22:42
Hospitals can redial using 1470 and then get through. :)
H ave told my GP surgery to do this ,but they say it does not work!!But did work for my consultant when she called from Raigmore..............very odd.;)

dx100uk
23-Oct-09, 01:57
1470 does not work in every instance.

if you really want to stop these
try the telephone preference service

works a treat after a couple of weeks

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

dx

secretsquirrel
31-Oct-09, 22:35
These phone calls are certainly a nusiance especially when they call at meal time.

There is plenty free internet sites out there to help you with debt. Simply search for "cancellation of credit card debit". These sites usually provide free general letters which you can adapt. The first is to ask for your credit agreement and enclose £1.00 as payment for that. Then sit back and wait. If no response within a period of time then send reminded as under the Consumer Credit Act the companies must supply the credit agreement within a set period of time. If eventually they cannot supply a credit agreement, then legally they cannot chase you for payment throu' the courts. Aslo they are not entitled to process your data. This means that information they pass to credit agencies has to be removed (can be difficult to get them to do that). So although you may owe money the companies have no legal recourse so will usually giveup on you.

If you are supplied with a credit agreement then most that are more than a few years old have legal problems. They are unenforceable because they where not signed by you. Otherwise the companies require to goto court to prove that the agreement is enforceable. As the CCA requires that agreements are set out in a certain manner, most of the old credit card agreements where arranged as application forms which are very hard to prove legally that they meet the rules of the CCA and so are unenforceable. Many companies will not risk taking you to court in case the sheriff gives a ruling against them.

hope this helps

Mik.M.
31-Oct-09, 23:13
When we get these calls as soon as we hear the recorded voice start we simply hang up.I`m with Stack Rock on the other issue here,if you get yourself into debt then you should pay it back,simples. If you can`t afford it don`t buy it.

dx100uk
01-Nov-09, 02:46
These phone calls are certainly a nusiance especially when they call at meal time.

There is plenty free internet sites out there to help you with debt. Simply search for "cancellation of credit card debit". These sites usually provide free general letters which you can adapt. The first is to ask for your credit agreement and enclose £1.00 as payment for that. Then sit back and wait. If no response within a period of time then send reminded as under the Consumer Credit Act the companies must supply the credit agreement within a set period of time. If eventually they cannot supply a credit agreement, then legally they cannot chase you for payment throu' the courts. Aslo they are not entitled to process your data. This means that information they pass to credit agencies has to be removed (can be difficult to get them to do that). So although you may owe money the companies have no legal recourse so will usually giveup on you.

If you are supplied with a credit agreement then most that are more than a few years old have legal problems. They are unenforceable because they where not signed by you. Otherwise the companies require to goto court to prove that the agreement is enforceable. As the CCA requires that agreements are set out in a certain manner, most of the old credit card agreements where arranged as application forms which are very hard to prove legally that they meet the rules of the CCA and so are unenforceable. Many companies will not risk taking you to court in case the sheriff gives a ruling against them.

hope this helps

i point you toward point#5 above........

it is very unwise to make such sweepng assumptions concerning what is and what is not an enforceable credit agreement and what avenues this then opens up to the consumer.

The FOS are already down on record as stating they do not consider an unenforceable agreement prevents creditors reporting data to the CRA's.

They have also clearly pointed out numerous times in the past, that an unenforceable agreement means solely that, it is unenforcable in a court of law, it does not mean the debt get magically wiped out.

consumers need to be very careful.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/ is a place to go to get better info.

dx

secretsquirrel
03-Nov-09, 23:56
I have never said that debt is wiped out. It can become simply unenforceable in law.

It appears that some of the contributors to this thread have forgotten that people's circumstances can change i.e. reduncancy, reduced working hours etc. These chance peoples financial postion.

Under the Data Protection Act companies have to have a legal reason for processing your data, if you do not have a lawful enforceable credit agreement the companies have no legal right to process your data. This ultimately means that they cannot persue you for the debt and cannot process your data which means they cannot process data with credit reference agencies.

The Goven Law Centre ( http://www.govanlc.com/) is a good site along with consumeractiongroup.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-helpful-organisations/22-govan-law-centre.html

I wonder how many people in this thread who are saying debts need to be paid have or are complaing concerning "Bank Charges"??