PDA

View Full Version : Red wine cubes

Mother Bear
22-Oct-09, 12:16
I seem to remember that you could freeze red wine in an ice cube tray and then use them to add to stews, casseroles etc. Had some red wine left recently.....couldn't have been a very good one, else there wouldn't have been any left!. I don't drink it myself, but thought I would try freezing the remainder. Unfortunately it didn't work! Despite them being in the freezer for about a fortnight they didn't freeze, and when I tried to put them in a plastic bag, I just ended up with red wine everywhere......on the white work top too! I wish I hadn't bothered!! Any ideas why they didn't freeze? Has anyone else ever done this?

Leanne
22-Oct-09, 14:30
Alcohol doesn't freeze - the more alcohol the less it will freeze. Cans and bottles of beer will freeze but wine has too much alcohol. If you put vodka in the freezer at minus 20 you will get a lovely vodka syrup.

Kathy@watten
22-Oct-09, 18:37
to make wine cubes for stews etc put offending wine in a pan and bring to at least 70 degrees and hold for a few mins this will boil off the alcohol and then it will freeze no bother.

Leanne
22-Oct-09, 19:49
to make wine cubes for stews etc put offending wine in a pan and bring to at least 70 degrees and hold for a few mins this will boil off the alcohol and then it will freeze no bother.

Of course...

Mother Bear
23-Oct-09, 07:20
ok, I'll give that a try next time! Thanks.