PDA

View Full Version : New Megaport in Orkney

DW
12-Apr-06, 09:31
Linked to a previous thread about the recent development around Caithness, I was reading an article in last week's NEWSWEEK about the role of box containers in the development of world trade.
Container traffic is up from 2.3 million units handled in 1990 to 11.4 million in 2004; it is set to double in the next 6 years. There was discussion in the article about the congestion this will cause in many ports; then I came across this -

Singaporeans have been tossing around the idea of basing a port expansion on man-made islands, while the British are discussing a new megaport in the Orkney Islands, using small feeder ships to move cargo on to where people live.
There is an interesting document avaiable for download here -http://europa.eu.int/comm/ten/transport/2005_03_31_tent_consultation/doc/stakeholders_contributions/uk/scotland_interreg_3b_northern_maritime_corridor.pd f

I am sure others may already be aware of this but it was news to me, there are only 5 usable references to 'megaport Orkney' in google.

ice box
12-Apr-06, 10:43
very intresting .

Tugmistress
12-Apr-06, 17:19
Found this here (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Business-Industry/Enterprise/Convention/orkneycontainerterminal) too (scottish exec website) copied and pasted below.

COHI (04)(IP)(02)

PROPOSED ORKNEY & HUNTERSTON CONTAINER TERMINALS

At the last meeting of the Convention in March, at the request of Cllr Hagan, I promised to provide an update on the position regarding the proposals for container transhipment terminals at Scapa Flow and Hunterston. Progress continues to be made in relation to environmental impact assessment and transport and marketing studies but no investment decision has, as yet, been made for either location.

Cllr Hagan expressed disappointment that the National Ports Review makes no reference to container transhipment proposals in Scotland. I believe this was a reference to the report by the House of Commons Select Committee on Ports, published in late 2003. If so, the reason for the focus on England and Wales is that the Westminster Parliament has no remit on such port issues beyond England and Wales. The Scottish Parliament has devolved responsibility for ports and harbours in Scotland.

Cllr Hagan also asked for a report on how the Executive is working with the parties involved to promote the opportunities both proposals present.

In August this year we published a report by Professor Alf Baird of Napier University “Container Transhipment and Demand for Container Capacity in Scotland”. This report was commissioned by the Executive, Scottish Enterprise and Highlands & Islands Enterprise. A key conclusion was that the 2 proposed Scottish facilities would not, in the main, be in competition with each other. The Scapa Flow facility would be focused purely on a ship to ship transhipment operation serving markets in the Baltic and Northern Europe. The Hunterston facility, in its early phases at least, would be focused significantly on ship to land traffic, using rail and road links from Hunterston to elsewhere in the UK but with the potential for ship to ship traffic to grow.

We are also considering other ways of promoting the container transhipment hub concept in a way that will be supportive of both Scottish initiatives and further details will be announced shortly.

The Executive will also have a role in the consents process. At Hunterston there will be the need for a Harbour Order under the Harbours Act to convey the legal powers to undertake marine works. At Scapa Flow consent under Section 34 of the Coast Protection Act, which relates to safety of navigation, will be required. There will also be the need for planning approval at both locations.

Cllr Hagan will be aware that Government ports policy precludes Executive support for these proposals extending to financial assistance towards investment costs. Such support would also be in breach of EU state aids rules. Ultimately, investment decisions and funding port development is a matter for the commercial judgement of port operators and shipping companies.

NICOL STEPHEN
Minister for Transport
02 November 2004

cuddlepop
12-Apr-06, 21:25
Somethings in the pipeline me thinks as well as halve of Caithness i think.LOL[lol]

webmannie
12-Apr-06, 23:23
The Railhaul depot at Georgemas has been bought in anticipation of the Orkney Megaport. They'll be needing the Thurso West bypass in place as well.