PDA

View Full Version : Horses not eating Hay

windynook
19-Oct-09, 22:36
Since getting up here last week, my girls are not at all keen on there new hay
I have got them.

I did bring some haylage with me but it has gone now :~( I was mixing it with the hay to get them use to it.

I am going to get a bale of hay of a local farmer tomorrow to try them on that.
As I only have two horses a large bale of haylage will go off before I can eat it, Somebody has offered some small bales of haylage but they are 40 miles away and I can't get there at the moment.

Any idea welcome.

teenybash
20-Oct-09, 00:39
You could try drzzling the hay with a little watered down syrup to get them started or sprinkling through the hay some flaked barley or oats.
Idea is they will have to eat the hay if they want to taste the goodies.
Maybe the hay you have just isn't sweet enough in comparison to what they have had in the past.:)

Leanne
20-Oct-09, 09:52
You could try drzzling the hay with a little watered down syrup to get them started or sprinkling through the hay some flaked barley or oats.
Idea is they will have to eat the hay if they want to taste the goodies.
Maybe the hay you have just isn't sweet enough in comparison to what they have had in the past.:)

Good idea there! I occasionally put chopped up carrots in nets as a treat and they like that...

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Oct-09, 10:38
is it dusty / fousty ?

If not - I tend to think horses are just being fussy ...... if you still have a decent bit of grass then they will be inclined not to bother.... my cobby is a bit like that - but the hay is good - the youngster would pack it in - but the ol lady was a bit more fussy - but a night inside she decided it was better than nothing....

Is it out in the field or in the stable with them ??

If you phone Johnny Cormack on 01955 611 498 he has some SUPERB green gorgeous hay in big round bales .... (EDIT ps. it's not his hay that my horsey has been fussy with - just some hay that I happened to be on the receiving end of in small bales through - she's never refused to eat his hay.)

Sparrow
20-Oct-09, 10:56
Maybe just not hungry enough for hay yet or its not sweet enough for them. I feed small square bale haylage which I produce myself. I also have some for sale PM if interested.

windynook
20-Oct-09, 18:16
Thanks for the reply's and offers I will send pm's.

I feel my girls are just being fussy, the hay is not fusty or moldy.

I just don't think it is as sweet as the haylage they have had in the past.

However my big horse is in need of putting more weight on, she is not thin but I can't afford her to loose any more weight.

donnick
20-Oct-09, 21:09
hello my two a 12.2 greedy highland and a 15.2 ire draught x went threw a bale of haylage every 2 weeks and it did keep till they ate all of it :)

tilly
20-Oct-09, 23:05
Hi, maybe you could try sprinkling very watered down sugarbeet over hay. If they have been used to haylage up to now it could just be because the hay is drier and doesn't taste so sweet

windynook
24-Oct-09, 23:03
Well I am very happy thanks to Debs for helping me out.

My girls love the haylage you gave me :)

So I now need to get them some bales of it.

Tom Cornwall
03-Nov-09, 13:43
Hi, maybe you could try sprinkling very watered down sugarbeet over hay. If they have been used to haylage up to now it could just be because the hay is drier and doesn't taste so sweet

how about seeing if Jamie Oliver might have a recipe to deal with situations like this..you never know