PDA

View Full Version : Saving Private Ryan

Munro
19-Oct-09, 18:06
We have just got around to watching ' Saving Private Ryan' and were massively disappointed in it, there didnt seem to be any effort put into developing the characters and it would have been good to see a bit of Ryans relationship between his parents and siblings.
It just seemed to be about the glorification of the USA at war.

teddybear1873
19-Oct-09, 20:29
We have just got around to watching ' Saving Private Ryan' and were massively disappointed in it, there didnt seem to be any effort put into developing the characters and it would have been good to see a bit of Ryans relationship between his parents and siblings.
It just seemed to be about the glorification of the USA at war.

You arn't getting confused with the film ' Shaving Ryans Privates ' are you lol

Flashman
19-Oct-09, 21:22
Ha ha!

I have not seen it in ages...Saving Private Ryan I mean ;), but I thought it was good at the time.

I watched Valkyrie the other night and Im no Tom Cruise fan but it really was a good war story. True of course and from what I gather fairly accurate to the actual events.

It's shot nicely aswell, lots of colour rather than the drab grey they tend to go for in WW2 movies.

Dog-eared
19-Oct-09, 22:26
Saving Private Ryan seemed to put all the effort into the first scene.
The rest was a bit thin.
Valkyrie was good though.

ShelleyCowie
20-Oct-09, 23:22
I think the begining was ok, half way into the film i really couldnt care about the ending because i didnt want to waste my time watching the rest of it.

Seemed to be rather plain, no heart to the story. All it seems is there are people going through some fields to find Private Ryan, a few shootings etc etc etc.... nothing to it.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Oct-09, 00:14
Thought it was a cracking film.First scene showed the arrival in horrific detail.The story was to show a mothers loss but to try and prevent her any more hurt.4 out of 5 stars fae me.

Nacho
25-Oct-09, 03:10
Seemed to be rather plain, no heart to the story. All it seems is there are people going through some fields to find Private Ryan, a few shootings etc etc etc.... nothing to it.

Shelley you should be a film critic !!

Jaws - big fish chews up folk then gets blown up etc etc
Titanic - big ship floats and then sinks etc etc
Shawshank Redemption - guy in jail gets out etc etc

i know you like your films, but you need to cut out the etc etc bit and add some detail !

saving private ryan is one of the best 'war' films out there and usually wins the number 1 slot for being so
if you're not into films in this 'field' then stay out !

i would review Mama Mia as a film were some saddos sing, cry and then laugh etc etc .... to be honest i haven't even seen it but you get my point etc etc

ShelleyCowie
25-Oct-09, 11:41
Shelley you should be a film critic !!

Jaws - big fish chews up folk then gets blown up etc etc
Titanic - big ship floats and then sinks etc etc
Shawshank Redemption - guy in jail gets out etc etc

i know you like your films, but you need to cut out the etc etc bit and add some detail !

saving private ryan is one of the best 'war' films out there and usually wins the number 1 slot for being so
if you're not into films in this 'field' then stay out !

i would review Mama Mia as a film were some saddos sing, cry and then laugh etc etc .... to be honest i haven't even seen it but you get my point etc etc

erm i dont have to do anything etc etc etc ;)

Its a typical Spielberg film. The first scene was brilliant so i was set for a genius movie, after the horrific scene that seemed like a realistic combat warzone it settled into the boring scenes of which made you ask the question "is it worth risking these many peoples lives to save 1?"

Well thats what i asked myself and my answer was....no!

I could write a full review on this. i AM into any movies and could review the 650+ dvds i have sitting in my livingroom, but hey a girl doesnt "do" horror, war, sci fi movies! ;)

I to have not seen Mama mia and choose not to subject my innocent soul to that trollop. Yes i am a girl but i enjoy many genre of movie.

Next movie please!

mike.mckenzie
06-Mar-10, 16:35
This is one of my all time favourite films.

Thats all.

Yoda the flump
21-Mar-10, 00:26
First half an hour excellent, the rest was dross.

Downfall is a cracking WWII film that is well worth a look.

Olin
22-Mar-10, 17:05
I think the begining was ok, half way into the film i really couldnt care about the ending because i didnt want to waste my time watching the rest of it.

Are you actually joking?

The film shows the conditions and situations that some soldiers had to face in the war. Its a portrayal of one of two world wars we have had?

You could say the same about the titanic? I mean seriously the end of it literally is a bunch of people screaming and running about and even worse we know the ending to it?

ShelleyCowie
22-Mar-10, 18:57
Are you actually joking?

The film shows the conditions and situations that some soldiers had to face in the war. Its a portrayal of one of two world wars we have had?

You could say the same about the titanic? I mean seriously the end of it literally is a bunch of people screaming and running about and even worse we know the ending to it?

No i really wasnt joking. War movies dont exactly appeal much to me but i still watch them. And honestly Saving Private Ryan isnt one of my favourites. Maybe i should re-watch it and see why everyone seems to be against me. But im sure i can name movies i enjoy that other people done.

I do know about the world wars, im not thick. Also i do understand the sacrafice the men or even young boys made for us.