PDA

View Full Version : Changes to benefits for lone parents.

cuddlepop
19-Oct-09, 14:38
From the 26th of October any lone parent who has a child of 10 or over as their youngest, will now be required to actively seek work.

Do you think its right that a 10 year old is deemed old eneogh to be responsilble to be left because if this is "forced" mothers will leave their child "home alone"?

There is a shortage of affordable child care over here as it is without this new policy.
There are no jobs.
Seasonal work is the main employer and their shifts tend to be spilt into early lates.

Is this not going to encourage more "unplanned" pregnancys.

I agree people should be working and not claiming benefits but only when its in the best interest of the child.:confused

BRIE
19-Oct-09, 15:04
why would this encourage unplanned pregnancies??:eek:
Im sure this is already the case in England?
You should be actively seeking work but they do take into account if the jobs are suitable for single mums with no childcare, most single mums who have children of this age could work whilst their child is at school thats leaving them capable of working at least 20 hrs a week.

Leanne
19-Oct-09, 15:51
I think it is more that childcare is easier to find for older children (in theory). If you look at the ratios a children of different ages per child minder, the older the age the more the childminder can mind :)

unicorn
19-Oct-09, 15:59
It all depends on how you have been registered. My maximum is 6 under 16 including my own child no more than 3 not yet attending school and no more that 1 under 1. Others though are 6 under 12 so their older children do not count in their numbers.

Leanne
19-Oct-09, 16:03
It all depends on how you have been registered. My maximum is 6 under 16 including my own child no more than 3 not yet attending school and no more that 1 under 1. Others though are 6 under 12 so their older children do not count in their numbers.

So maybe we should decrease the age to 6 lol. But seriously - did you get my point? Childcare cost per child decreases as the child gets older so what was too expensive for many as a toddler, might be ok when they reach 10. I used to work with a woman who had 2 children under 3 in full time childcare while she worked fulltime. She came out with £50 pcm after paying for the childcare!! This was about 5 years or so ago and I know that things have changed a bit but even so, childcare is costly!

unicorn
19-Oct-09, 16:14
For lone parents going back to work there should be some form of help from working families tax credits. I agree childcare can be costly depending on how many children you have and how many hours you use weekly.
Older children also tend not to like going into childcare settings though as they see all their friends out playing and they are not able to go out so the best option there is to have someone come to your home and look after them, which in turn does not break the law as it is being done in your own home.
I don't think we should decrease age or increase numbers as the childs safety should be paramount.

cuddlepop
19-Oct-09, 16:24
You should be actively seeking work but they do take into account if the jobs are suitable for single mums with no childcare, most single mums who have children of this age could work whilst their child is at school thats leaving them capable of working at least 20 hrs a week.

If you have a determined claiment who does not wish to avtively seek work when their child is 10 a pregnancy would enable that person to stay at home.
Its almost impossible to find work during school hours in our small community and our nursery only provides child care for 8's and under.
What happens the 12 or so weeks when the kids arent in school too?

Legislation is so strict its putting people off from becoming child minders.

unicorn
19-Oct-09, 16:32
The legislation is there to protect the children in a childminders care and also to protect the chilminder, so although it is strict and yes it is a lot of hard work and many long hours these days, providing you enjoy your job and love the children then it is all worth it. By the way I am not working at the moment so free to be here.

cuddlepop
19-Oct-09, 16:41
The legislation is there to protect the children in a childminders care and also to protect the chilminder, so although it is strict and yes it is a lot of hard work and many long hours these days, providing you enjoy your job and love the children then it is all worth it. By the way I am not working at the moment so free to be here.

Are you registered with your job centre as I'm sure your services will be required shortly.:)

Wonder what legislation they're going to use to ensure 10 year olds are adequately looked after while their mother works.

tonkatojo
19-Oct-09, 17:12

I think what Cuddlepop was saying in inverted commas " unplanned" meaning have another and stay on benefits, a bit of sarcasm I think. But I'm probably wrong.

cuddlepop
19-Oct-09, 17:15
I think what Cuddlepop was saying in inverted commas " unplanned" meaning have another and stay on benefits, a bit of sarcasm I think. But I'm probably wrong.

No you were spot on.:D

tonkatojo
19-Oct-09, 17:17
No you were spot on.:D

Well that's a first I must say LOL.;)

Aaldtimer
19-Oct-09, 17:18
From Auntie Beeb... "The lack of affordable childcare in Scotland is crippling both individual families and the economy."....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8313714.stm :confused

cuddlepop
19-Oct-09, 17:22
From Auntie Beeb... "The lack of affordable childcare in Scotland is crippling both individual families and the economy."....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8313714.stm :confused

So this will only exasperate an already dire situation.:roll: