PDA

View Full Version : Why?

porshiepoo
19-Oct-09, 14:09
Went to Tesco's today and I put £15 into a large petrol container. When I got to the checkout I was told that this Gerry can I used (thick plastic one) shouldn't have been used and that if they'd realised I was using it they wouldn't have let me put any in.
Apparantly it should only be used for Diesel and Petrol should only go in the small Green or Red ones.
Why?
I would have asked her to explain but she was so soft spoken I couldn't really hear what she was saying.

Is there a particular reason for this? At first I thought she was concerned that the can may have had Diesel in it before but I explained that it had only had Petrol in it. Nope, it ain't that.
Driving home I was worried it had something to do with combustion and was actually bricking my pants. lol. I turned all heating off to keep the temperature down and drove really slow to avoid holes and slurping in the can. lol. 15 miles like that wasn't fun.

Anyone explain this to me?

dx100uk
19-Oct-09, 14:24
against the law me old fruit.......

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/fuelstorage.php

dx

cuddlepop
19-Oct-09, 14:49
Another case of Supermarkets taking control of our lifes me thinks.:roll:

PantsMAN
19-Oct-09, 15:58
No, read the web reference above from dx100uk and you will see it is illegal.

Beware supermarket paranoia - it can strike anyone anywhere! [lol]

Phill
19-Oct-09, 16:03

Not really, it's them that'll end up with a fine.

Have you ever seen what 15 litres of petrol can do when it goes up.
And you really need to be sure about the type of container, some plastic does have excellent static abilities, not good with petrol.

The law is a bit of an ass in this case though, perfectly legal to have 2000 litres of jet fuel in your back garden!!
But that is generally quite obvious when the fireybods turn up, 15-20 litres of petrol can take you by surprise if your not expecting it.

porshiepoo
19-Oct-09, 16:53
Blimey, you learn something new everyday. :eek:
Glad I tootled home at a snails pace and kept the car freezing now, else things may have gotten veeeeeeery hot.

porshiepoo
19-Oct-09, 16:55
Ooooooooo, just thought. Hubby sent me out on that little expedition. I best check my life insurance hasn't suddenly been increased lately. :eek:

ciderally
19-Oct-09, 21:59
Ooooooooo, just thought. Hubby sent me out on that little expedition. I best check my life insurance hasn't suddenly been increased lately. :eek:
ha ha nice one...thanks for the laugh:lol:

Dog-eared
20-Oct-09, 10:19
Use a steel jerrycan.