PDA

View Full Version : Matched grip V Traditional grip

buddyrich
19-Oct-09, 13:31
Here's another drum-related poll, on a subject so obscure it almost doesnt deserve any responses. But as Jeid has pointed out i am the drumming expert so, cazart etc.

Any drummers got any thoughts about different stick grips? I changed to trad about six years ago. I now find matched grip a bit strange so i almost never switch back.

Anyone else use it?

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Oct-09, 13:38
Trad looks cooler.

Deemac
19-Oct-09, 13:40
Use both, but mainly matched. Depends on what I'm playing. Like using trad for Scottish / snare work or some jazz. Also depends on the size of the kit I'm using. Matched is also more useful to get at all those rack toms and percussion on the left of the kit. Everyone will have their own views on this I'm sure.

Chobbersjnr
19-Oct-09, 13:42
I started off using Trad & learned matched grip so I could use it.

Personally I find Trad grip to be more versatile with more finesse & the ability to play faster than I can with Matched grip. I played matched grip for long enough to forget how to be comfortable so essentially had to re-learn the trad grip & now like yourself can't really be doing with matched grip UNLESSSSSSSSSS I have to do battle with serious guitar & bass cab & ampage........

so for this drumming chappy it's traditional grip most of the way.

Jude
19-Oct-09, 17:38
I prefer trad but just find I have a lack of power in my left hand. So I do find I need to swap to matched grip at points. Like someone said above, it depends on what am playin'.

buddyrich
19-Oct-09, 19:21
Im pretty much the same as chobbers. I had to switch occasionally to matched when i was playing with stevie t but i decided one day to resolutely not allow myself to switch.

Thats probably why matched feels a bit odd now. I should probably try and bring it back a bit.

The moeller exercises really help with the left hand. After doing them for a while you barely need to move the left wrist to get a very sturdy snap on the snare.

And right enough trad does look cooler.

zebedy
19-Oct-09, 20:37
im matched myself.

would love to play trad but no power in these wrists, been broken too many times.

does look very pro i like it.

the_big_mac
19-Oct-09, 21:29
Matched all the way.

The molleor (sp) technique can be used in either grip. Zeb, you should look into it. It helps hugely with producing power from very little movement.

Cant say trad grip would look all that traditional for my particular style of drumming though! :lol:

buddyrich
20-Oct-09, 09:19
It would look pretty cool though! Would u do it with ur right hand?

Aye moeller works for both grips. I wish i had known about it when i switched initally, it would have saved a lot of time and effort. The biggest problem i had was getting consistency in closed rolls for scottish drumming. A mate of mine said a closed roll should sound like tearing a piece of paper-a constant ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff noise. Quite a good analogy i thought.

the_big_mac
20-Oct-09, 18:42
It would look pretty cool though! Would u do it with ur right hand?

Aye moeller works for both grips. I wish i had known about it when i switched initally, it would have saved a lot of time and effort. The biggest problem i had was getting consistency in closed rolls for scottish drumming. A mate of mine said a closed roll should sound like tearing a piece of paper-a constant ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff noise. Quite a good analogy i thought.

Yeah, I think I would have to. Mind I play open handed though. Couldnt imagine blasting out a bit of troops of doom with the an open handed trad grip though!

Yeah, I gave up using it, just couldnt quite get to grips with it. But I took a lot from learning it, especially stick placement in the hand (the falkrum) and how to generate speed and power from very little movement. It defo helps with the blast beats!

buddyrich
21-Oct-09, 10:57
Open-handed does look cool too though.

Kenny Aronoff is a big use of it, though im sure he's a rightey. He uses the "full" moeller, taking the snare stick up above his head. Bit excessive i think but it looks interesting.

Deemac
23-Oct-09, 12:41
Here's some Dennis Chambers showing off with matched grip!!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6c5_5WdAmY&feature=rec-HM-r2

Deemac
23-Oct-09, 12:43
Here's some Dave Weckl with traditional grip pyrotechnics. . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmykCWMPWvE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

davem
23-Oct-09, 13:11
Any clues as to how Mr Chambers hits the bass pedals so fast when it looks like he's using his L foot for Hi Hat?

Deemac
23-Oct-09, 14:09
He's using double bass pedals. His hihat foot is bridged over the hihat and left bass pedal at the same time. (so effectively playing all three pedals with two feet!) - watch the bass pedal link drive shaft.

buddyrich
23-Oct-09, 15:59
Here's some Dennis Chambers showing off with matched grip!!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6c5_5WdAmY&feature=rec-HM-r2

The snare patterns done over the top of and in a different time signature to the kick drum ostinato is just textbook. Neil Peart made a big thing of this during the Rush 30th anniversary tour, during his solo when he did a thing inspired by max roach.

It's just awesome soloing over an ostinato in a different time signature. Wish i could do it.

And the Weckl video is just fantastic.